Joe B’s Mock Offseason - FA, draft, extensions and re-signings

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

It isn't that a 3rd round WR can't pan out, but you certainly have better odds of satisfactorily filling a need in earlier rounds.  I am not opposed to a WR in the 1st or 2nd AND another in round 3, but I think they would be taking a big chance by not bringing in a viable FA and also waiting until round 3 to take a WR.

If they do that, they are once again not giving Allen enough talent around him to determine if he can be the long-term answer at QB.

I agree. It’s risky. As I said, I would go WR at 54 in this scenario 

Edited by YoloinOhio

49 minutes ago, qwksilver said:

An OT in round one means Beane and company are throwing in the towel as Ford as a RT. I don't think they are there just yet.

Milano's contract seems crazy, but I guess that is where we are in today's NFL.

Pretty solid off season but prefer they attack WR more and who's rushing the passer? Edit: didn't see Fackrel signing but might not be enough anyways.

...isn't Spain thought to be a comer as well?......agree on WR spot........

• Thank you (+1) 1

I was not a fan with how he went after the WR position. I think Beane will be more aggressive. He stated as much at his end of season presser saying that they need more “touchdown makers”.

I think they’ll try to address main holes in free agency, in order to go after BPA in draft. I see them signing at least one each of RB, WR, OG/OT flex, DE, DT, LB, CB.

I think Joe B. is correct about running back and they go after someone on the level of Howard. 

Wide Receiver I believe they’ll go after one of the guys like Perriman, Geronimo Allison, Rashad Higgins, Demarcus Robinson, etc. to at least challenge McKenzie/Foster/Williams for that #3 receiver spot. They don’t want to be forced into a pick for the draft. 

Now, the G/T could be bringing Spain back, but I believe in that case they’ll cut Long and still look for a flex there. Really though I think they might look for someone on a 1yr deal to challenge Ford & Nsekhe and possibly fill in at guard if Feliciano is hurt or Spain doesn’t come back. 

Edge is where I think they’ll make a splash. I’m not sure if it’ll be Ngakoue/Judon splash, or something like a Jenkins/Ogbah splash, but they’ll spend money there. 

DT will be a lower cost guy to rotate with Oliver at the 3-Tech. 

LB I could see Joe B being correct in going after a guy like Fackrell. I could also see Kamalei Correa as an option. Only 26 I believe and hasn’t lived up to draft potential. Had a strong end of season and playoff though. Could see McDermott turning him into a gamer. 

At Corner I just don’t see them spending money like that especially if they know they’re going to extend Tre. I know it’s only a one year deal, but I don’t see them spending more than $5M/yr on whoever ends up on the opposite corner. 

Draft wise I think they’ll look for playmakers at receiver, some more juice and speed from their edge, and while they’ve scouted Dugger hard, I think Siran Neal came on at the end of last season and is going to make an impact in 2020. He and Jaquan Johnson will get a chance to help fill that “heavy nickel” db spot and possibly to even replace Poyer. 

Many disagree but I actually think this is a close to likely scenario. This is a ground and pound philosophy with deep play action  team rather we like it or not. Trying to emulate the chiefs lethal pass attack is what most want but I’m not sure that’s the direction they are building. Hope I’m wrong and they do add more weapons though 

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Yikes.

They'll be looking at a very disappointing 2020 season. 

Depends.. Not that I support that philosophy much but I’m also not sold on deploying Allen in a Saints/Chiefs kinda pass attack. I do think he needs more weapons, but I also don’t think they tried to use more weapons this past season. It was smoke/Beasley/Knox and that was it. They didn’t even look to use anyone else most of the time. That makes me believe Daboll and Mcdermott hinge the success on the run game and are not overly concerned with lots of pass game options. 

6 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Depends.. Not that I support that philosophy much but I’m also not sold on deploying Allen in a Saints/Chiefs kinda pass attack. I do think he needs more weapons, but I also don’t think they tried to use more weapons this past season. It was smoke/Beasley/Knox and that was it. They didn’t even look to use anyone else most of the time. That makes me believe Daboll and Mcdermott hinge the success on the run game and are not overly concerned with lots of pass game options. 

They didn’t use anymore weapons because they didn’t have any.  Foster, Williams and McKenzie are fringe roster guys that you hope to get along with- they are not guys that you design plays to get the ball to.

Even with Beasley and Brown, the Bills’ current WR group is bottom 25% of the league.  

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

For those without an Athletic sub (I hope you at least have a Wegmans sub but I digress)

re-signs - Shaq 4 years, 31 mill

Dean Marlowe, Waddle, Julian Stanford

Tender RFA Isaiah McKenzie at original round render 

Tender  ERFAs Levi Wallace, Robert Foster, Jason Croom

lets hit the market  - Spain, K Johnson, Gore, Jordan Phillips, Maurice Alexander, Kurt Coleman, Senorise Perry 

Free Agency signings:

CB Xavier Rhodes, Minn 1 year 8 mill

SLB Kyler Fackrell, GB 3 years, 15 mill

RB Jordan Howard, Phil  2 years 7 mill

Ol Joe Haeg , Indy 2 years 5 mill

3 tech DT Sheldon Day, SF 1 year 2.5 mill

Extensions  -

Milano 4 years, 52 mill

Dawkins 5 years, 71 mill 

White 5 years, 78 mill

Draft-

22 OT Andrew Thomas , UGA

54 S Kyle Dugger, Lenoir-Rhyne

86 WR Bryan Edwards, S Carolina

118 DE Alton Robinson, Syracuse 

137 WR Antonio Gandy-Golden, Libert

149 CB Harrison Hand, Temple

168 RB Antonio Gibson, Memphis

181 OL Keith Ismael, San Diego st 

187 CB Sanford Samuels III, FSU

I like a lot of this but not sure about Edwards with that broken foot and also it’s one pick ahead of Khalid Kareem in this mock so I’d be real tempted to take him there. Don’t know a lot about Alton Robinson but Kareem is an excellent player

So Beane and McDermott both made big points about needing to get Allen "more weapons he has confidence in to go with the weapons he already has"

And what results from that, per Joe B, is:

-a solid, former 5th round RB who was recently traded for a 2020 6th round pick

-a WR who missed the Sr bowl with a knee injury and will now miss the Combine with a broken foot (an injury of uncertain healing prognosis for WR/TE)

-another WR and RB in the 5th round

Also, we're going to let a very solid, proven starting RG walk and replace him with a Colts guy who played half the snaps in 1 game at RG last year?

No Bueno

That Is Not Nearly Enough

14 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Whatcho talkin' about?  Daboll tried desperately to use more weapons this past season at the expense of practice reps and continuity for Allen. 

Jones, McKensie, Foster, Demarco, Kroft, and Williams all got their shot.  Jones got shot out of here.  Williams got an audition as a replacement then tossed back in the pot.  Foster lost playing time to McKensie.  Kroft got his trial and couldn't supplant Knox even with 20% drops.

We need an upgrade.  Beane and McDermott both acknowledged as much.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

They didn’t use anymore weapons because they didn’t have any.  Foster, Williams and McKenzie are fringe roster guys that you hope to get along with- they are not guys that you design plays to get the ball to.

Even with Beasley and Brown, the Bills’ current WR group is bottom 25% of the league.  

I don’t agree with that. All across the league you see no name guys out of nowhere who can make some plays. No they are not upper level starter caliber players but come on they weren’t used or targeted for multiple games. Yet the eagles can trot practice squad no names out to make plays. Some of those guys flashed in the past like foster the year before and Kroft in his 60 catch season. 

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So Beane and McDermott both made big points about needing to get Allen "more weapons he has confidence in to go with the weapons he already has"

And what results from that, per Joe B, is:

-a solid, former 5th round RB who was recently traded for a 2020 6th round pick

-a WR who missed the Sr bowl with a knee injury and will now miss the Combine with a broken foot (an injury of uncertain healing prognosis for WR/TE)

-another WR and RB in the 5th round

Also, we're going to let a very solid, proven starting RG walk and replace him with a Colts guy who played half the snaps in 1 game at RG last year?

No Bueno

That Is Not Nearly Enough

Whatcho talkin' about?  Daboll tried desperately to use more weapons this past season at the expense of practice reps and continuity for Allen. 

Jones, McKensie, Foster, Demarco, Kroft, and Williams all got their shot.  Jones got shot out of here.  Williams got an audition as a replacement then tossed back in the pot.  Foster lost playing time to McKensie.  Kroft got his trial and couldn't supplant Knox even with 20% drops.

Joe B said he wrote this before the Edwards news came out (which was just today)

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Joe B said he wrote this before the Edwards news came out (which was just today)

Even so, has Edwards really been looked at as that strong of a WR prospect?

Coming off a playoff loss, Beane correctly pointed out that the loss reflected the same struggles the team had all season: to "close the deal" and score TDs on drives.

He correctly pointed out that in order to change that, Allen needs "more weapons he can trust to go with the ones he already has"

To have that translate to:

1) a solid RB who was just traded to his 2nd team for a 6th round pick

2) No WR or TE in FA

3) a 3rd round WR

4) a 5th round WR and RB

5) letting a solid starting LG walk and back-filling with a FA who played 1/2 of a game at RG

.....That would be a hell of a cognitive dissonance, that's all I'll say, even if Andrew Thomas turns out to be "All That and a Bag of Chips" out the gate at RT.

I don’t mind the idea of adding a RB - I think they need another because Singletary isn’t built to withstand 20 touches per game, but Howard seems to be fading (though young) and the Bears dumped him even though they have no decent RBs.  Howard also doesn’t ring much as a receiver out of the backfield (I don’t think).

Would Howard be any better than just playing TJ Yeldon?

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I never said we didn’t need an upgrade. 
Just that they either limited the playbook or Allen didn’t look outside of the top 3 guys. I find it hard to believe nobody was ever open outside our top 3 options. Other teams see guys step up even if the production isn’t consistent. They also coach receivers up better. 
Im not defending we have all these hidden elite weapons and the coaches botched it, just that we could of utilized them better in the pass game and definitely could of targeted those lower guys more. We ran McKenzie out there like 50% of our snaps and barely targeted him just ran him as a jet sweep decoy. Foster or duke would of been better off out there as pass catchers opposed to motion decoys. 

5 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I never said we didn’t need an upgrade. 
Just that they either limited the playbook or Allen didn’t look outside of the top 3 guys. I find it hard to believe nobody was ever open outside our top 3 options. Other teams see guys step up even if the production isn’t consistent. They also coach receivers up better. 
Im not defending we have all these hidden elite weapons and the coaches botched it, just that we could of utilized them better in the pass game and definitely could of targeted those lower guys more. We ran McKenzie out there like 50% of our snaps and barely targeted him just ran him as a jet sweep decoy. Foster or duke would of been better off out there as pass catchers opposed to motion decoys. 

Some of these other teams have real star WRs who draw extra attention from defenses and that leaves space for role players to occasionally get open and make a play.  The Bills have no offensive weapon that draws extra attention from defenses that would open up space for guys like Foster, Williams or McKenzie.

So many holes in this plan. The FA plan, aside from Rhodes, hearkens back to the Bills of old where top FA's didn't want to come to B'lo due to a terrible FO reputation and years of a losing culture. We are beyond that and the players in the NFL know that. The draft would be a success in the 1st (Thomas will be long gone) and the 4th (Alton would be a great pick at that point), but taking a Safety in the second, with a lot of talent sitting there at the massive position of need at WR, is ridiculous. BPA is a nice philosophy, but redundancy is illogical. 

Edited by MiltonWaddams