Jags unlikely to allow Yannick Ngakoue to test FA

YoloinOhio

16 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

That means that Calais Campbell can be ours for a song.

Do it.

And I'm OK with that.

Do the Jags need to hold cap space clear for rookie pool from the start of the league year?

Or if they cut Dareus and Linder do they have enough cap space to tag Ngakoue and a couple months to work something out that would free up their rookie pool?

Anyone know?

3 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

The Owners and Players Union agreed to it in the last collective bargaining agreement. 

If it is unfair to one side, they must have gotten something else they wanted in return. 

for sure. And I don’t like guys holding out when on it cause they agreed to it (in a sense). I just think on principle it’s garbage. 

38 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

i don't see why he'd really hate the tag. makes a ton of money into final year of cba and he gets a nice deal next year.  

btw teams can use franchise tag and transition tag this year not one or the other

Players like longer contracts with more guaranteed money.  If a guy gets hurt playing on the tag or is seen as falling off, he won't get his payday.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Players like longer contracts with more guaranteed money.  If a guy gets hurt playing on the tag or is seen as falling off, he won't get his payday.

i understand that. career ending injuries are very rare. he can get insurance for that.  and with the new cba who knows what he will be worth next year. 

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And I'm OK with that.

Do the Jags need to hold cap space clear for rookie pool from the start of the league year?

Or if they cut Dareus and Linder do they have enough cap space to tag Ngakoue and a couple months to work something out that would free up their rookie pool?

Anyone know?

They’d have time to clear room for picks, but their HC and GM that are squarely in the firing line would have zero ability to add talent in FA.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Not happening. You can’t tell me that Beane and McD would be ok with YGM’s hazing allegations. Too many potential red flags IMO. 

You heard it here, if they like YGM as a player, they will talk to him and make up their own minds.

But IMHO even if we retain Shaq and draft someone, we need a FA edge.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

If they tag him, could see a hold out. They also have no cap space (though cutting Dareus frees up like 13 mill)

Not to nitpick, but I think they actually save $20M just on Dareus. That alone gives them the money for Ngakoue. 

I could see him holding out so he doesn’t have to play for the team that’s playing two home games in London this year. 

But I’d have to think they’d get a 1st for him. And I’d rather not do that personally 

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

They’d have time to clear room for picks, but their HC and GM that are squarely in the firing line would have zero ability to add talent in FA.

This almost feels like the organization covering their asses from the fan backlash when he ultimately leaves. Try to paint it that they want him, he is the one who doesn't want to be there even though they say they want him. I do think it sets a bad example when you tag someone who doesn't want to be there - it certainly does not help culture or make other players on the team or FAs feel like they should stay away. Not one players wants to be tagged let alone 2 years in a row on a 1 year contract when they refuse to sign long term. I am pretty sure no one wants to play for Doug and there is no way all of this displeasure was all on Coughlin.

You are also 1000% correct on your point

27 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

Not to nitpick, but I think they actually save $20M just on Dareus. That alone gives them the money for Ngakoue. 

I could see him holding out so he doesn’t have to play for the team that’s playing two home games in London this year. 

But I’d have to think they’d get a 1st for him. And I’d rather not do that personally 

$20M it is & Foles is staying - it will cost them $33M to get rid of him. Calias is definitely a targetto be cut if they want Yannick, but if Yannick doesn't want to sign it turns into a Clowney situation

image.thumb.png.2af2f1745c209a12f92088c6e5d56e81.png

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I think they franchise him then trade him, this has a Clowney situation written all over it. 

I believe that you are correct.  Jags won't just let him walk and get nothing in return.  He will be in high demand, if they make him available.  This will drive the price up.  Chasing him doesn't seem to fit Beane's approach to team building.

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And I'm OK with that.

Anyone know?

they don’t need it til signing players

and I swear this is the only board I see guys worried about rookie cap hits. It’s sooooo easy to move money that being remotely close is simple to fix and that money is really minimal

• Like (+1) 1