Jags unlikely to allow Yannick Ngakoue to test FA

YoloinOhio

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

If they tag him, could see a hold out. They also have no cap space (though cutting Dareus frees up like 13 mill)

$17.5 mill, looks like to me. Hard to imagine them keeping Marcell at that price.

They save $20M on salary and roster bonus but lose $2.5M as dead cap.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's nice, but they are gonna have to come up with some money, since right now they are $3.4M in the red

This was being discussed in another thread.

Cut Dareus - $22.5M cap - $2.5M dead cap

Cut Linder  -$8M cap

$22.1M cap available

Hap, just wanted to correct this, as I see it being used again and again the last week or so.

That's not how you calculate money saved or spent. It's NOT CAP COST minus DEAD CAP. Doing it that way counts the dead cap money twice. The correct formula for a cut would be something like MONEY TO BE PAID THIS YEAR (generally salary plus roster bonus plus workout bonus plus any other bonuses) minus DEAD CAP.

Dead cap money is counted twice in your equation there. A player's cap cost includes his unamortized signing bonus cost for that year. And of course that is also included in his dead cap money. 

But if they cut a guy, they don't save the unamortized bonus. Cutting Dareus will save 'em $17.5 mill.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, whatdrought said:

for sure. And I don’t like guys holding out when on it cause they agreed to it (in a sense). I just think on principle it’s garbage. 

I look at it as using your leverage to get a raise like any employee would do in the business world.  I don't have a problem with players holding out if they feel they're undervalued or want a long term commitment in case injury strikes.

The reason the player's union didn't fight to remove it in 2011 was because it impacts such a small percentage of players (less than 2% at least).  I have my doubts about whether they'll seriously address it this time around as you rarely see the 99% go to bat for the 1%.

12 hours ago, aristocrat said:

i don't see why he'd really hate the tag. makes a ton of money into final year of cba and he gets a nice deal next year.  

btw teams can use franchise tag and transition tag this year not one or the other

I thought the Transition tag was gone- is it just not used much anymore or do we just not hear about it when they do?

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I look at it as using your leverage to get a raise like any employee would do in the business world.  I don't have a problem with players holding out if they feel they're undervalued or want a long term commitment in case injury strikes.

The reason the player's union didn't fight to remove it in 2011 was because it impacts such a small percentage of players (less than 2% at least).  I have my doubts about whether they'll seriously address it this time around as you rarely see the 99% go to bat for the 1%.

I disagree with that only because it’s a contract. A non-contract employee agrees to do xyz on an undefined timeline until either the employee or employer decides to terminate the relationship. So if they want to say, I need a raise or I’m going to leave, that’s fine because they’re free to leave at any time.

A contract employee agrees to do xyz for a specifically outlined time, receiving a specifically outlined amount of compensation. They’re saying “I’m gonna stop doing xyz unless you give me a raise” is a breach of contract and I don’t think it’s right. Although I have more sympathy for guys who hold out on the tag, as opposed to those who just hold out for new deals before theirs is over.

I realize it’s very different in the sports world, but chalking such things up to “it’s just different” is where we get crap like the franchise tag in the first place. 

yeah, I get it, and you’re probably right. I just can’t stand it. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I thought the Transition tag was gone- is it just not used much anymore or do we just not hear about it when they do?

so it's a weird cba rule in the final year of the cba. normally you can use one or the other but this year it's both. and teams do use the transition 

Re-sign Lawson or make a run @ Dante Fowler if Lawson is bent on going elsewhere (but don't overpay for him). I would much rather re-sign Lawson and add a guy in the draft to be honest. There are some talented guys who will be there through the first few rounds imo. You  have YGM, AJ Epenesa, Bradley Anae, Zack Baun, K'Lavon Chaisson, and Kenny Willekes. I expect YGM and Epenesa to be gone by the time we pick in the 1st though. There are two guys that I would keep an eye on because they seem to fit the mold McDermott and Beane are looking for, Bradlee Anae and Kenny Willekes. I think they are guys who both will be available between rounds 2-4.

The guy that ABSOLUTELY screams "Process" to me is Kenny Willekes. The guy went from walk-on to All American at Michigan State. He's not the DE who will run the fastest at the combine or anything like that. He does however have a good motor, very good instincts, a repertoire of moves, a really good first step, and a functional strength that you don't see very often. He consistently throws guys around that outweigh him by 60lbs and you better not try to block him with a TE.  He was a leader in that MSU locker room receiving praise from everyone for his work ethic and contagious intensity. The pundits and draftniks want to knock him for his arm length and the typical "lack of athleticism" jargon they use, but watch him on tape. Don't be surprised if he ends up in a Bills uniform this year. 

Bradley Anae also seems to fit the "Process" mold of players imo. Really quick off of the edge, but will need to be coached up on how use his hands better and disengage. It's the same talk with him by the pundits and draftniks, his arms aren't long enough, his athleticism will limit him, blah, blah. He as well looks good on tape. He doesn't have the same bend that Willekes does, but I think he can be effective off of the edge in the NFL and no one will question his effort on every play.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Meh, I take it with a grain of salt at this point. He has posted some things on social media that would indicate that he doesn't want to be there, and his agent may apply pressure. We'll see what happens.

Also, I hate the franchise tag. What a stupid, unfair thing.  

It’s a moot point.  I don’t think they Bills were ever going to sign him to a monster deal

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yep, if Ngak is signed then Armstead should be the next guy to focus on....

Yeek. I’ll pass on AA. Not a big fan of dudes with one year of production.

If they don’t land Campbell in a trade, I suspect they’ll leverage the Carolina connection and bring in Mario Addison. People are totally sleeping on that dude. Better numbers than Ngakoue over the last 4 years.

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

If they don’t land Campbell in a trade, I suspect they’ll leverage the Carolina connection and bring in Mario Addison. People are totally sleeping on that dude. Better numbers than Ngakoue over the last 4 years.

I've been coming around to Addison more and more. Makes a ton of sense.

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

how do you feel if Lawson wants over $10 mil a year?

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I've been coming around to Addison more and more. Makes a ton of sense.

Addison is a little long in the tooth as he will be 33 by the start of next season, as is Campbell who will be 34 by the beginning of next year. They could try to bring him, Addison, in on a 1 or 2 year deal, but he's not any sort of long term answer. I also don't know what you give up in a trade for a DE who will be 34 years old, nothing more than one of our 6th's imo.

3 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

how do you feel if Lawson wants over $10 mil a year?

No thanks.

I think Shaq is a good player, but I’m not paying $10M per for a non-pass rusher. I wasn’t hot on paying it to Hughes, but understood the need for roster options.

1 minute ago, H2o said:

Addison is a little long in the tooth as he will be 33 by the start of next season, as is Campbell who will be 34 by the beginning of next year. They could try to bring him, Addison, in on a 1 or 2 year deal, but he's not any sort of long term answer. I also don't know what you give up in a trade for a DE who will be 34 years old, nothing more than one of our 6th's imo.

I think Campbell gets moved for a 5th—just a guess. And yeah, he’s a one-year stopgap, but with him/Hughes/Murphy/Edmunds you’ve got a very solid quartet of pass rushers without having to hope for Darryl Johnson to develop or a draft pick to light up the league.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

$17.5 mill, looks like to me. Hard to imagine them keeping Marcell at that price.

They save $20M on salary and roster bonus but lose $2.5M as dead cap.

The jags fans on twitter insist it is 13 and not 20 - I assume they have that info but didn’t look. Maybe it depends on when he is cut / June designation but idk

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The jags fans on twitter insist it is 13 and not 20 - I assume they have that info but didn’t look. Maybe it depends on when he is cut / June designation but idk

They're incorrect. $20M is the number per Spotrac, OTC, and this article:

https://gargoyle.flagler.edu/2019/10/a-way-too-early-look-at-jacksonvilles-2020-offseason/