McShay - Bills pass on WR and take RB Swift in 1st.

PIZ

Wouldn’t be the worst pick, he’s a talented player. .

But it won’t happen.  Too much talent on the board at Edge and WR and Singletary is too good to invest this much in another RB.

We will certainly draft a RB if we don’t sign one in FA to compliment Singletary, but not in the first and probably not until at least the third.  

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Agree. They’ll be looking for a bigger back that can catch to compliment Singletary. There will be plenty to choose from 3-5. 

I have long thought a bigger back will be the target. However, I do see the argument for an explosive back like Swift even if such a player is a little smaller. Again, I don't see it working out for the Bills to take Swift at #22. 

Why is everyone forgetting about Christian Wade?

Talk about explosive....if that kid can learn the game the Bills won't need to draft or sign anyone.

And yes, upgrade the offensive line. Let's hope that this regime understands the importance of having an all pro offensive guard like they had with Incognito...only without the head case. Ford might just be that guy at RG so the upgrade is needed at RT. LG too if Spain isn't resigned. 

• Like (+1) 1

When weapons are available at a valuable position like WR you get as many as you can. If you have 15 WR’s graded as 1st rd picks then take 2. WR drafts like these are a 1 time every 12 year occurrence. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are 1or 2 Andre Reed type sleepers that come from this draft. 

1 minute ago, Philo said:

I have long thought a bigger back will be the target. However, I do see the argument for an explosive back like Swift even if such a player is a little smaller. Again, I don't see it working out for the Bills to take Swift at #22. 

I think they’ll be looking to fill WR or Edge in the 1st. Possibly OT if someone drops and it’s a clear BPA. 

As for RB. I think they want some size to fill a complimentary role. Explosiveness likely isn’t as important to them as versatility. Moss and Perine can both catch. Perine has experience lining up outside and in the slot coupled with enough speed to not get caught from behind. Moss is more of a versatile hammer, although I worry about him always playing hurt. There are other players though. One I’m keeping an eye on is Ke’Shawn Vaughn.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I think they’ll be looking to fill WR or Edge in the 1st. Possibly OT if someone drops and it’s a clear BPA. 

As for RB. I think they want some size to fill a complimentary role. Explosiveness likely isn’t as important to them as versatility. Moss and Perine can both catch. Perine has experience lining up outside and in the slot coupled with enough speed to not get caught from behind. Moss is more of a versatile hammer, although I worry about him always playing hurt. There are other players though. One I’m keeping an eye on is Ke’Shawn Vaughn.

Agree on all counts. I think EDGE or WR will be the pick ultimately and I like what both Moss and Perine can offer as running mates with Singletary.

I haven't heard much about Vaughn, but another name I will throw out there is AJ Dillon from BC. We have gone to the BC well before with some success. I have not studied him too much to see if he would be a fit, but I do know he is one of the bigger backs in this years class. He's probably a Day 3 pick right now. 

Edited by Philo
He is a junior, not a senior

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s an elite level receiver. The day he enters the league he’s a top 5-10 receiving back (and that’s conservative). He can be a 15 touch a game guy with Singletary in the more traditional role. Think about the success that the Saints has with Ingram and Kamara. That’s the kind of dynamic that the Bills can create (especially with Josh’s mobility). They still need other pass catching options but Swift makes this offense a lot better.

As you know the Saints got Kamara in round 3.   

The positionless/playmaker line of thinking was the rationale behind the drafting of CJ Spiller a decade ago............it's fine when you get that talent in the bonus rounds but you need franchise building blocks in those first and second rounds.    

It just rarely ever works out like that with RB's.......and despite his success the last I heard the Saints were very open to trading Kamara..........because in the end he's just a RB and teams don't like to pay those guys.

And I guess this is a good time to remind the thread that the two lead RB's in the SB were undrafted.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s an elite level receiver. The day he enters the league he’s a top 5-10 receiving back (and that’s conservative). He can be a 15 touch a game guy with Singletary in the more traditional role. Think about the success that the Saints has with Ingram and Kamara. That’s the kind of dynamic that the Bills can create (especially with Josh’s mobility). They still need other pass catching options but Swift makes this offense a lot better.

I’m sure he’s good.  I’d definitely take him on day 3.  And I’m pretty sure the Saints also had a Hall of Fame QB and a stable of receiving talent...

16 minutes ago, mannc said:

I’m sure he’s good.  I’d definitely take him on day 3.  And I’m pretty sure the Saints also had a Hall of Fame QB and a stable of receiving talent...

They took Marshon Lattimore in round 1 of that draft............who I assume they will extend and try to make into a franchise cornerstone going forward.

That's what will ultimately define that draft for them long after Kamara is traded or leaves in UFA.

Coming up with reasons during the draft process to select a RB in round 1 is a long time organizational weakness...........you gotta' have a system in place where you have protections against taking that cheese.

• Like (+1) 2