McShay - Bills pass on WR and take RB Swift in 1st.

PIZ

3 minutes ago, dneveu said:

The issue is - if you want to pay a back 22 million over 2 years you can do that with drake or gordon and not have to give up anything.  And they're on a crunched timeline as i assume the bonus pays out on the 3rd day of the league year.  

Fair enough but you’re gonna have to pay more in guarantees to at least Gordon and will definitely have to commit longer term to both of them.  A 3rd is probably too much for Gurley with that contract and his knee, but the Bills will not be able to spend $90m in cap space this year and whatever free agent RB they sign the Bills will not be able to walk away after 1 year like they could with Gurley.  

9 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Lee Smith, Murphy, Star, Gore, Boldin, the Darby trade...I just don't see what you're seeing. I think that he has been pretty good in the draft, but even that is a ways off from being a sure thing.

Lee Smith was brought in to block and be a Vet for the young TE room. He did that. Murphy has had injury issues but he also showed his value at times and his cost wasn’t prohibitive in a year when they were trying to not over-commit to the Cap. Star is so misunderstood by so many fans on exactly what he’s asked to do, that this discussion is a longer one. 

Darby was a trade b/c he didn’t fit in the type of Defense McD was installing. But Smoke might have been one of the best FA signings all season, Beasley, Morse, Spain (who didn’t allow a sack), Nyseke when he was healthy, Spencer Long and Feliciano was solid to great, Gore for his mentoring of Motor, Barkley who has been good for Josh, trading Sammy for a 2nd who hasn’t done much on two Super Bowl caliber teams and yes he had one good game with the Chiefs but that’s not worth keeping him, Andre Smith - Pro Bowler on ST.....

But you choose to see what you’d like. 

46 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Lee Smith was brought in to block and be a Vet for the young TE room. He did that. Murphy has had injury issues but he also showed his value at times and his cost wasn’t prohibitive in a year when they were trying to not over-commit to the Cap. Star is so misunderstood by so many fans on exactly what he’s asked to do, that this discussion is a longer one. 

Darby was a trade b/c he didn’t fit in the type of Defense McD was installing. But Smoke might have been one of the best FA signings all season, Beasley, Morse, Spain (who didn’t allow a sack), Nyseke when he was healthy, Spencer Long and Feliciano was solid to great, Gore for his mentoring of Motor, Barkley who has been good for Josh, trading Sammy for a 2nd who hasn’t done much on two Super Bowl caliber teams and yes he had one good game with the Chiefs but that’s not worth keeping him, Andre Smith - Pro Bowler on ST.....

But you choose to see what you’d like. 

Sammy was solid the whole playoffs. Murphy wasn't great, Star is pushed sideways more often than not. He isn't plugging any gaps and he hasn't been anything other than average since his second season. I really haven't seen anything showing Barkley having a big influence and the same for Gore. Gore was terrible. Lee Smith is a penalty machine. Beasley, Smoke, Spain, and Feliciano to me were good to great pick-ups, but he makes just as many missteps. 

On 2/4/2020 at 9:26 AM, Buffalophil1948 said:

Nice luxury pick, but I don't think we can afford luxury right now.

yup last thing w need to do it the carp the Bills did when they already had RB and took one anyways..Spiller like pick a position of needCB,WR,OL,DE,etc,etc..

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I see the info you’re referencing. I don’t think that they can trade him prior to the start of the new league year (3/18/20), and his base salary becomes guaranteed on 3/15/20, so I’m not sure that the info is accurate.

I believe the Osweiler salary dump trade was before the league year opened

Also, I’m really starting to think that Beane may trade for a RB.

There are a few out there that fit the mold of speedy-yet-tough-veteran that are expendable on their current teams. I immediately think of:

Giovany Bernard

Malcolm Brown

Matt Breida

Jamaal Williams

I think any of the 4 could be a solid roster addition and potential RB1a to insulate the position from having to reach for need in the draft. Still draft a guy, but do it because he’s at the top of your board.

58 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Also, I’m really starting to think that Beane may trade for a RB.

There are a few out there that fit the mold of speedy-yet-tough-veteran that are expendable on their current teams. I immediately think of:

Giovany Bernard

Malcolm Brown

Matt Breida

Jamaal Williams

I think any of the 4 could be a solid roster addition and potential RB1a to insulate the position from having to reach for need in the draft. Still draft a guy, but do it because he’s at the top of your board.

Breida is a free agent isn't he? And Brown is definitely not the speedy variety. I would gladly take any of those 4 guys though.

20 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Will they pony up for both he and DJ? That’s a lot of $$ tied up in RBs

Arizona is reportedly releasing DJ (doesn't necessarily mean they'll sign Drake though).

15 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Breida is a free agent isn't he? And Brown is definitely not the speedy variety. I would gladly take any of those 4 guys though.

Arizona is reportedly releasing DJ (doesn't necessarily mean they'll sign Drake though).

Breida is Restricted I believe. They can tender and trade.

On 2/4/2020 at 9:55 AM, aristocrat said:

you want an offense like san fran's where we just run it down people's throats all year?  get another big time rb.  btw they catch passes too. you can get a wr in the second round as well. 

Niners dont have a big name RB, they just had a good stable of backs like we will have next year.  

Beane's plan is always to fill in via free agency and draft best player that falls.  It might be Oline, Dline, LB, corner.  

Drafting a RB in the first round is completely insane. It borders on incompetence. Totally indefensible. 

The league is filled with very good RBs that were drafted in rounds 2,3,4. We have one on our own team in Singletary! Henry was a 2nd round pick. I could go on and on.

There is no position other than punter that I would be more upset to waste a 1st round pick on. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

That explains our top 5 rankings against the pass thanks.

No, not really. Saying Wallace was inconsistent and you saying the Bills had a top 5 ranking doesn’t mean everything is ok at DB. The Bills have a serious need for another cornerback. I don’t think it’s a first round need, but it is high up there. 

49 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

No, not really. Saying Wallace was inconsistent and you saying the Bills had a top 5 ranking doesn’t mean everything is ok at DB. The Bills have a serious need for another cornerback. I don’t think it’s a first round need, but it is high up there. 

Fair enough.  If they can upgrade at a reasonable cost I wouldn’t be upset.

The offense is we’re we need a couple of players.  One OL and a big WR maybe a bruiser of a RB.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Fair enough.  If they can upgrade at a reasonable cost I wouldn’t be upset.

The offense is we’re we need a couple of players.  One OL and a big WR maybe a bruiser of a RB.

And Lorenzo's replacement and a DE to replace T Murphy. I agree with the need to upgrade CB opposite White and upgrade over T Johnson in the slot. If White gets hurt, we're in serious trouble at a critical position.

24 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

And Lorenzo's replacement and a DE to replace T Murphy. I agree with the need to upgrade CB opposite White and upgrade over T Johnson in the slot. If White gets hurt, we're in serious trouble at a critical position.

No.  If we resign Wallace and K. Johnson.  As far as White goes please explain to me where we get an equal replacement.  Gilmore is not a FA.  So your statement is a bit overboard I guess you could say.

Maybe we should sign Tom Brady in case Josh Allen gets hurt.

Trent Murphy isn’t a FA.  Good Luck replacing Zo.  Let’s not make unnecessary moves.  If a pass rusher is BPA in the draft then I’m all for it.  If someone is available at a reasonable price then I’m all for it.

Our actual needs are a capable DE.  Our DEs will have more opportunities with the inevitable improvement at DT.

A Big fast WR to compete with Duke.

I would like to see an upgrade on the OL but resigning Spain is sufficient.

So if they 

-Sign Thuney, Anderson and resign Lawson, Wallace and Johnson then they could go BPA in the draft as long as they picked up a Bruiser RB at some point.

Tell me I’m wrong but make sure you back it up.

Part of my view point is predicated on improvement from Josh Allen and improvement based on continuity of Offensive personnel who accrued a season and will now have another offseason to learn the offense and develope chemistry.

If we can pick up one or two difference makers in the draft then I believe we are SB bound.

Edited by formerlyofCtown