The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Look, I have zero political side in this argument. Its quite amazing the same half dozen people have had this running dialogue for over a year now...makes you wonder. At any rate from the Florida perspective, currently reside in FT Lauderdale area. The numbers both testing wise and hospitalizations are insane. Broward Health the largest hospital in the county have young unvaccinated folks lying in hallways and stacked up on the ER. This sucks considering we had this under control and the tools to slow this down, but hey what can you do. Close friend actually opened the first site for vaccinations for Broward general and he said its worse than ever considering its a lot of young people, there are a few that are older whom are vaccinated that get treatment and leave after a day or two. Sad to see any person laid up that way when there is/was a chance by getting the shot it could have been avoided. 

It's not about trusting the government for your shots, I trusted doctors I know and did my research. Considering all of the crap I put in my buddy this is the least of my concerns.   

Look your body your choice and that's fine, idc I got my shots and don't care who knows it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Thank you for not putting words in my mouth. Not necessary.

I just don't believe in giant conspiracy where thousands of participants would need to be involved and these thousands have not been exposed. I don't think Florida lied when their cases were low. I don't think they are lying now that they are setting records. Likewise I don't believe NY was lying either, though the one set of numbers that could be all screwed up is in the March-May data for 2020. That was a cluster, I have no doubt, but again I don't see conspiracy there. 

There was no intent on my part to put words in your mouth—what I typed represents my thoughts on the way you looked at the data.   If I were to expand on that, I’d suggest you might be a tad naive, but that’s just my view of things, not a declaration that I’m correct. 

One issue I do take with what you shared is the use of the term “conspiracy”.   It’s become one of the most overused words in the internet, often as a way of denigrating the thoughts of others who disagree with a given perspective.  

The history of our country is littered with government/individuals manipulating data, spreading false information or outright lying to the public.  That’s  not conspiracy, that’s a fact I’d bet most Americans agree on when having a cup of coffee at the local bagel shop when removed from some of the unpleasantries of the modern political era.  

Anyway, you have more faith than I do.  

15 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

There was no intent on my part to put words in your mouth—what I typed represents my thoughts on the way you looked at the data.   If I were to expand on that, I’d suggest you might be a tad naive, but that’s just my view of things, not a declaration that I’m correct.

That doesn't sound douche-y at all. 

15 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

One issue I do take with what you shared is the use of the term “conspiracy”.   It’s become one of the most overused words in the internet, often as a way of denigrating the thoughts of others who disagree with a given perspective.  

The history of our country is littered with government/individuals manipulating data, spreading false information or outright lying to the public.  That’s  not conspiracy, that’s a fact I’d bet most Americans agree on when having a cup of coffee at the local bagel shop when removed from some of the unpleasantries of the modern political era.  

Anyway, you have more faith than I do.  

If hospital administrators at thousands of hospitals (of all parties), data aggregators at state and federal levels (of all parties), and journalists (of all parties) are bound in a data falsifying scheme that both the left and the right have at times accused them of over- and under-counting, it would 100% be a conspiracy of epic proportion. You can choose a different word if you like. 

23 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

That doesn't sound douche-y at all. 

That sorta does. 

If hospital administrators at thousands of hospitals (of all parties), data aggregators at state and federal levels (of all parties), and journalists (of all parties) are bound in a data falsifying scheme that both the left and the right have at times accused them of over- and under-counting, it would 100% be a conspiracy of epic proportion. You can choose a different word if you like. 

Ah, now I see.  

Yes, if one’s position is that tens of thousands of people in the hospital biz are working in conjunction with tens of thousands of people in the public sector biz and tens of thousands of people in the media biz, that everyone in the know is really in the know, that would constitute a person who believes in a conspiracy.  

On the other hand, I would characterize someone who believed that’s the only way data could be manipulated as painfully naive.   

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd

1 hour ago, Sundancer said:

Thank you for not putting words in my mouth. Not necessary.

I just don't believe in giant conspiracy where thousands of participants would need to be involved and these thousands have not been exposed. I don't think Florida lied when their cases were low. I don't think they are lying now that they are setting records. Likewise I don't believe NY was lying either, though the one set of numbers that could be all screwed up is in the March-May data for 2020. That was a cluster, I have no doubt, but again I don't see conspiracy there. 

never attribute to malice that which can be attributed to sheer incompetence!

On 7/31/2021 at 11:10 PM, Governor said:

"One segment of people who have avoided shots is vehemently opposed to the idea. But there is a second group, surveys suggest, that is still deciding."

Translation: "Obviously conservatives are the main problem, but there are others too."

"those who say they are adamant in their refusal of the coronavirus vaccines[...]include a mix of people but tend to be disproportionately white, rural, evangelical Christian and politically conservative,"

Translation:

"Conservatives are morons."

"With cases surging and hospitalizations rising, health officials are making progress in inoculating this second group, who surveys suggest account for less than half of all unvaccinated adults in the United States."

Translation: non-conservative vaccine-hesitant are not generally morons and can be made to listen to reason.

In best Richard Dawson voice, Survey says ....

Thanks for proving my point.  Surveys and polls can get the results they want by how they ask the question.  Not saying its not true, may be.  But I'm not going to take is as gospel based on a poll.  Hillary's gonna win, right?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Yes, if one’s position is that tens of thousands of people in the hospital biz are working in conjunction with tens of thousands of people in the public sector biz and tens of thousands of people in the media biz, that everyone in the know is really in the know, that would constitute a person who believes in a conspiracy.  

On the other hand, I would characterize someone who believed that’s the only way data could be manipulated as painfully naive.   

One guy doing mass hypnosis on the thousands lying about Covid cases? 

On 8/1/2021 at 2:33 AM, ALF said:

This is the best I can do

Can a vaccinated person give Covid to unvaccinated?

CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said recent studies had shown that those vaccinated individuals who do become infected with Covid have just as much viral load as the unvaccinated, making it possible for them to spread the virus to others.4 days ago

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2021-07-30/provincetown-outbreak-shows-delta-can-spread-among-vaccinated-but-cases-are-mild

Thanks.

I question if its as black and white as that.  Do we know if they are shedding dead and/or weakened COVID cuz they had the vaccine and that a what the vaccine does (kill COVID)?  

This doctor said on June 14 fully vaccinated people may spread it less.

While it is possible, Dr. Cardona says that the ability to transmit COVID-19 may occur at a lower rate. She adds that this could also be a reality for people who don’t have a good immune response to vaccines.  

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/can-vaccinated-people-transmit-covid-19-to-others/

9 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Thanks.

I question if its as black and white as that.  Do we know if they are shedding dead and/or weakened COVID cuz they had the vaccine and that a what the vaccine does (kill COVID)?  

This doctor said on June 14 fully vaccinated people may spread it less.

The viral load in the nasal passages is a data point, not definitive. 

Look at the Singapore study this weekend for data on viral load over time vax vs unvax. 

E7o0JR5XIAcFpMy.thumb.jpeg.c5f791ab0c793fb94b6a234122388beb.jpeg

This does not show ANYTHING about transmissibility. So like the viral load stuff, it's just some other data. 

What we do have data on is that vaccinated people have at least a 50% less chance of transmission. That's nice!

Edited by Sundancer
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/1/2021 at 1:42 PM, Big Blitz said:

On 8/1/2021 at 2:49 PM, B-Man said:

Now the ‘I work on the COVID floor at my hospital’ variant is spreading on Twitter thanks to a veterinarian

Early this week we told you about the “I just left the ER” variant making the rounds on Twitter after a doctor tweeted about “getting crushed by COVID-19.” “99% of our ICU admits did NOT receive a vaccine. Virtually ALL of them wish they had,” his tweet read, as did several others using the exact same wording.

Now, a veterinarian who’s challenging Rep. Lauren Boebert for Congress appears to be patient zero for the “I work on the COVID floor” variant on Twitter.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/07/31/now-the-i-work-on-the-covid-floor-at-my-hospital-variant-is-spreading-on-twitter-thanks-to-a-veterinarian/

Here is the latest one.......................Man the left thinks people are stupid.

• Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Here is the latest one.......................Man the left thinks people are stupid.

I wonder if you know what this is. I suspect not. 

And if you and still go to Twitter as much as you do, yikes. 

26 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

I am well aware of this type of post.

I go to twitter very little, most of the tweets that I post are included in the aggregate sites that I frequent.

As far as the actual subject of the post.

Why aren’t you panicking ?  They’re all medical personnel, and look how they all tested positive and proclaimed it in the exact same words!

Panic!

Or remember this is a psy-ops and take everything you see on social media with a massive grain of salt…

Edited by B-Man
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I am well aware of this type of post.

I go to twitter very little, most of the tweets that I post are included in the aggregate sites that I frequent.

As far as the actual subject of the post.

Why aren’t you panicking ?  They’re all medical personnel, and look how they all tested positive and proclaimed it in the exact same words!

Panic!

Or remember this is a psy-ops and take everything you see on social media with a massive grain of salt…

It is not psy ops. It’s ***** ops. 

The similar meme someone shared yesterday was being ***** posted by right wing sites. 

Why share posts you know are junk? 

45 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

It is not psy ops. It’s ***** ops. 

The similar meme someone shared yesterday was being ***** posted by right wing sites. 

Why share posts you know are junk? 

Right wing sites! 😂😂😂😂

I thought the Left had shut them all down. I guess there’s still work to do!

2 hours ago, Sundancer said:

I wonder if you know what this is. I suspect not. 

And if you and still go to Twitter as much as you do, yikes. 

arghh..have not been around here much lately..but now i get your game.

Point to a post with some tagged content, suggest someone does not understand the meaning of the post and content and infer you do , but then offer no meaningful reply on your thoughts on said content. 

You ran this same game with me, i fell for it, dumb on me...i assume you just have nothing meaningful to contribute from now on...as you admitted earlier

12 hours ago, B-Man said:

CBS Slaps Down Fauci, CDC Claim Vaccinated Are Spreading COVID in Large Numbers

Newsbusters, by Nicholas Fondacaro

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/nicholas-fondacaro/2021/08/01/cbs-slaps-down-fauci-cdc-claim-vaccinated-are-spreading

Here's a good visual representation.....

E7otfnqUYAMSKuG?format=jpg&name=4096x409

7 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

arghh..have not been around here much lately..but now i get your game.

Point to a post with some tagged content, suggest someone does not understand the meaning of the post and content and infer you do , but then offer no meaningful reply on your thoughts on said content. 

You ran this same game with me, i fell for it, dumb on me...i assume you just have nothing meaningful to contribute from now on...as you admitted earlier

You maybe don’t get what that post was all about. Most of the account repeating the same thing yesterday were right wing accounts. They were intentionally crap posting. It’s a weird move.

No idea what game you think I’m playing. I questioned you to think critically about the chart you posted and explain it. You never did though Oldmanfan eventually did it. 

12 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

You maybe don’t get what that post was all about. Most of the account repeating the same thing yesterday were right wing accounts. They were intentionally crap posting. It’s a weird move.

No idea what game you think I’m playing. I questioned you to think critically about the chart you posted and explain it. You never did though Oldmanfan eventually did it. 

My complaint with your posts is the “ do you know what this means/ is, I suspect you do not”.  It’s Condescending , and it implies those posting are rubes and surely not capable of critical thought. Trolling activity.  

In terms of the answer, I absolutley answered. I suspect you do not understand the answer so I will explain in more detail. 

The majority of older folks and people with greater comorbidities were first up in the vax  line. As they got 5-6-7 months removed from taking the vax , those conditions ran their course and nature took over. As the vaccine did it’s job , many of these folks would be asymptomatic or mild symptoms and only testing upon hospitalization for their other ailments. They died from those other conditions, not Covid, and rightly not being counted as Covid death, as @oldmanfan correctly  pointed out. 

Unfortunately , the same could not be said for all pre vaccine Covid deaths. Early in the pandemic especially. See Birx below. Many still question cause of death based on funding rules if a facility was treating someone for Covid as opposed to advanced kidney disease. 

I am certainly not calling out any grand conspiracy theory, just that the CDC if full of poop and will assuage numbers that fit their message better. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

My complaint with your posts is the “ do you know what this means/ is, I suspect you do not”.  It’s Condescending , and it implies those posting are rubes and surely not capable of critical thought. Trolling activity.  

In terms of the answer, I absolutley answered. I suspect you do not understand the answer so I will explain in more detail. 

The majority of older folks and people with greater comorbidities were first up in the vax  line. As they got 5-6-7 months removed from taking the vax , those conditions ran their course and nature took over. As the vaccine did it’s job , many of these folks would be asymptomatic or mild symptoms and only testing upon hospitalization for their other ailments. They died from those other conditions, not Covid, and rightly not being counted as Covid death, as @oldmanfan correctly  pointed out. 

Unfortunately , the same could not be said for all pre vaccine Covid deaths. Early in the pandemic especially. See Birx below. Many still question cause of death based on funding rules if a facility was treating someone for Covid as opposed to advanced kidney disease. 

I am certainly not calling out any grand conspiracy theory, just that the CDC if full of poop and will assuage numbers that fit their message better. 

I asked this before and will try again. If people were dying who would otherwise be dying (your “with Covid” and not “from Covid” argument), we can expect that overall deaths in the last 18 months should be level, right? Not just early on but also later in the pandemic. 

22 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

I asked this before and will try again. If people were dying who would otherwise be dying (your “with Covid” and not “from Covid” argument), we can expect that overall deaths in the last 18 months should be level, right? Not just early on but also later in the pandemic. 

Jesus, did you take sales training or something? Always answer a question with a question… too scared to have an opinion I guess. 

Two things here 

1) no one said , Certainly not me, people were not dying because of Covid 19. The assertion I am making and you clearly cannot follow is the numbers and counting can change based. Even the CDC estimates , key word here is estimates excess deaths “ associated “ with Covid is 75-80 %. Where are the other 20 % coming from? Collateral damage I guess. 

2) why don’t you answer the question why the CDC is making recommendations off a presentation that has a slide in there showing 15% of hospital deaths that were Covid positive in May were fully vaccinated.

3) also, please explain the PTown study contained in same presentation as the basis for new masking recommendations and why you believe in it’s veracity and why it should be used to guide national Covid policy moving forward. 

Until you answer those questions, I will not answer any of yours. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

The basic premise of your argument seems logical but incomplete.  Which if I interpret it correctly is that if COVID has no impact because these deaths would have occurred anyway we wouldn't see a spike in the death rate and count during the pandemic.  But as we see a spike that is evidence COVID is causing additional deaths than would otherwise not have happened.

What I think needs to be considered is the variable of time and the concept of regression to mean.  What COVID is doing is pulling forward deaths that would otherwise have occurred or be reported in some future time period.  The additional deaths are being "borrowed" from the future and pulled forward and the reported death rate will be lower than "normal" for those future time periods.  What is going to happen is these additional deaths will be subtracted from future time periods.  Until the stat adjust back to trend.  Which is regression to mean.

More or less nobody gets out of life alive and everybody dies.  Its just a question of when.

One other thing.  This isn't killing people with decades of life expectancy left.  Its killing people with months to maybe a few years.  Because old and sick people tend to die.  Sure you can cite a couple examples that contradict that but they are rare and the exception.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Jesus, did you take sales training or something? Always answer a question with a question… too scared to have an opinion I guess. 

Two things here 

1) no one said , Certainly not me, people were not dying because of Covid 19. The assertion I am making and you clearly cannot follow is the numbers and counting can change based. Even the CDC estimates , key word here is estimates excess deaths “ associated “ with Covid is 75-80 %. Where are the other 20 % coming from? Collateral damage I guess. 

I was asking why you're obsessing about death categorization. Early on it was probably a mess. But clearly we have a lot of extra people dying from something. Safe to say the new virus is causing most of it. So the big "with Covid" vs "of Covid" narrative is misplaced. Covid is here and more people are dying because of it. The guy dies in a car crash and tests positive for Covid ends up as a Covid death doesn't add up. If that was happening en masse, the total deaths in the last 18 months would be relatively unchanged from the previous 18 months. 

2) why don’t you answer the question why the CDC is making recommendations off a presentation that has a slide in there showing 15% of hospital deaths that were Covid positive in May were fully vaccinated.

I did answer already and do so again: Beats me. 

3) also, please explain the PTown study contained in same presentation as the basis for new masking recommendations and why you believe in it’s veracity and why it should be used to guide national Covid policy moving forward. 

This is the first time you asked me that and though I'm not your organ grinder monkey, I'll answer so you can stop putting words in my mouth and have a dialog. That study is a bull#### sample. 85% male participants on "bear weekend" with people coming from out of town. If you make some assumptions that most of the tons of people who were there were vaccinated, then there's no to little evidence of vaccinated transmission, but just that there were lots of people who were vaccinated in one place mixing with unvaccinated people...so more vaccinated people ended up with Covid. 

And I don't think any of it justifies any policy changes of any sort.

But I'm willing to keep looking at evidence. The nasal cavity viral load studies in vaccinated persons may or may not translate to viral transmission from vaccinated people. Worth looking into.  

Until you answer those questions, I will not answer any of yours. 

Bully for you. 

1 hour ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

The basic premise of your argument seems logical but incomplete.  Which if I interpret it correctly is that if COVID has no impact because these deaths would have occurred anyway we wouldn't see a spike in the death rate and count during the pandemic.  But as we see a spike that is evidence COVID is causing additional deaths than would otherwise not have happened.

What I think needs to be considered is the variable of time and the concept of regression to mean.  What COVID is doing is pulling forward deaths that would otherwise have occurred or be reported in some future time period.  The additional deaths are being "borrowed" from the future and pulled forward and the reported death rate will be lower than "normal" for those future time periods.  What is going to happen is these additional deaths will be subtracted from future time periods.  Until the stat adjust back to trend.  Which is regression to mean.

More or less nobody gets out of life alive and everybody dies.  Its just a question of when.

One other thing.  This isn't killing people with decades of life expectancy left.  Its killing people with months to maybe a few years.  Because old and sick people tend to die.  Sure you can cite a couple examples that contradict that but they are rare and the exception.

This may well be true. I'm not sure when we would expect to see the snap back in death counts. After a couple years?  

On 12/28/2020 at 2:32 PM, TBBills said:

You are just a fear mongering idiot.

We told you so.  

#VaccinePassports

On 12/28/2020 at 12:37 PM, Big Blitz said:

I'm going to quote the Washington ComPost now:

People need “immunity passports” if they want the economy reopened.  At least, that’s the crazy idea The Washington Post decided to push.

The Post published an insane op-ed advocating for this proposal by Vital Strategies Director of Public Health Law Aaron Schwid and Resolve to Save Lives CEO Tom Frieden.

The two authors argued that “as more and more people are vaccinated, it’s time to carefully design a system of ‘immunity passports.’” As the op-ed stated, “These passports would serve as a form of proof of immunity, allowing people who have immunity to engage in some activities others cannot.” A Big Government tracking system that is necessary to shop or travel. I think we all read about that somewhere. 

The op-ed concluded on a chilling note that would make George Orwell cringe from his grave:

As vaccination is rolled out and we learn more about immunity after natural infection, providing the option of an immunity passport to those who choose to receive one can increase freedom of movement for passport holders and accelerate broader social and economic recovery. As universal vaccination becomes available, passports will help everyone, not just the lucky few, move from fear to freedom, [emphasis added.]

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/business/joseph-vazquez/2020/12/28/nuts-washpost-op-ed-wants-immunity-passports-opening

From 15 days......to 30......to not overrun hospitals......to flatten the curve.....to indefinitely......to till a vaccine......to till we all have immunity passports.

Gtfo

Edited by Big Blitz

Freaking Trump voters in South America:

"Meanwhile, Japanese researchers have found South America’s Lambda variant to be more resistant to vaccines, noting its protein mutations make it even more infectious...."

Keep cheering your protocols 

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/delta-infections-among-vaccinated-likely-contagious-lambda-variant-shows-vaccine-2021-08-02/

The Lambda variant of the coronavirus, first identified in Peru and now spreading in South America, is highly infectious and more resistant to vaccines than the original version of the virus the emerged from Wuhan, China, Japanese researchers have found. In laboratory experiments, they found that three mutations in Lambda's spike protein, known as RSYLTPGD246-253N, 260 L452Q and F490S, help it resist neutralization by vaccine-induced antibodies. Two additional mutations, T76I and L452Q, help make Lambda highly infectious, they found. In a paper posted on Wednesday on bioRxiv ahead of peer review, the researchers warn that with Lambda being labeled a "Variant of Interest" by the World Health Organization, rather than a "Variant of Concern," people might not realize it is a serious ongoing threat. Although it is not clear yet whether this variant is more dangerous than the Delta now threatening populations in many countries, senior researcher Kei Sato of the University of Tokyo believes "Lambda can be a potential threat to the human society."

16 hours ago, 716er said:

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/delta-infections-among-vaccinated-likely-contagious-lambda-variant-shows-vaccine-2021-08-02/

The Lambda variant of the coronavirus, first identified in Peru and now spreading in South America, is highly infectious and more resistant to vaccines than the original version of the virus the emerged from Wuhan, China, Japanese researchers have found. In laboratory experiments, they found that three mutations in Lambda's spike protein, known as RSYLTPGD246-253N, 260 L452Q and F490S, help it resist neutralization by vaccine-induced antibodies. Two additional mutations, T76I and L452Q, help make Lambda highly infectious, they found. In a paper posted on Wednesday on bioRxiv ahead of peer review, the researchers warn that with Lambda being labeled a "Variant of Interest" by the World Health Organization, rather than a "Variant of Concern," people might not realize it is a serious ongoing threat. Although it is not clear yet whether this variant is more dangerous than the Delta now threatening populations in many countries, senior researcher Kei Sato of the University of Tokyo believes "Lambda can be a potential threat to the human society."

Very early lab study that has been contradicted by other data points on Lambda. I'd wait on this. Not that the media will. 

• Like (+1) 1