The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

4 hours ago, GG said:

There's a wide gulf between a critique and calling for the subforum to be closed down.   

I critiqued a poster for his lack of decency here in this thread. 

I discussed PPP’s purpose and future in a thread about that. 

They were two different discussions. One is about being a decent human being. One is about what this forum adds to TBD. 

6 hours ago, shoshin said:

I critiqued a poster for his lack of decency here in this thread. 

I discussed PPP’s purpose and future in a thread about that. 

They were two different discussions. One is about being a decent human being. One is about what this forum adds to TBD. 

As if it matters that it's two separate threads?   You consistently disparage this forum, and wish for is demise. 

17 hours ago, shoshin said:

Good Charts at link too. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/death-toll-from-covid-19-pandemic-extends-far-beyond-virus-victims-11600507800?st=9idsdlqxszoo8q0&reflink=article_copyURL_share

The CDC estimates there were somewhere between about 202,000 and 263,000 excess deaths in the U.S. this year through late August, measured against deaths from 2017 through 2019. The U.S. by that point had about 188,000 known Covid-19 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins. In New York City, the citywide death count surged by 35,000 in the most recent fiscal year, far exceeding the 19,142 confirmed and 4,625 probable virus-related deaths, authorities said Thursday. 

“We had no experience with this sort of thing, really,” Mr. Anderson said, regarding the pandemic. “The more we can learn about how things played out here and how the virus impacted mortality—not just directly, but indirectly—can help us God forbid we have another one of these.”

The CDC estimates there were somewhere between about 202,000 and 263,000 excess deaths in the U.S. this year through late August, measured against deaths from 2017 through 2019. The U.S. by that point had about 188,000 known Covid-19 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins. In New York City, the citywide death count surged by 35,000 in the most recent fiscal year, far exceeding the 19,142 confirmed and 4,625 probable virus-related deaths, authorities said Thursday. 

I was just perusing this thread seeing if there was anything on excess deaths.  Thanks for the link.

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

And yet, some people still don't see the games being played right in front of their faces. 

...LOL....Trump supported HCQ so we know damn well it was DOA......now if Biden did, he'd tell us how he parted the Red Sea....'eff Moses.............

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

If this was previously posted, apologies:

That's a pretty twisted reading. NV restricted RX HCQ because it wasn't deemed effective. They just let the regulation expire, nothing more than that. 

There's not always a hidden agenda. 

Edited by shoshin

10 hours ago, shoshin said:

That's a pretty twisted reading. NV restricted RX HCQ because it wasn't deemed effective. They just let the regulation expire, nothing more than that. 

There's not always a hidden agenda. 

When did Nevada restrict HCQ as ineffective?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Restaurant outdoor patios are packed. The freeways are once again jammed. People are out and about everywhere. The virus took another weekend off with death toll way down on Saturday and Sunday. This must be the 21st Century, more civilized, laid back way to do a pandemic. 😂

• Like (+1) 1

All these excess deaths are on China.

I will be interested to see what the final 2020 numbers are, and if anyone can accurately track long term deaths due to lack of medical care during the lock down. Suicide rates year over year will also be very telling.

Full talk:

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Games on games on games... 

The biggest crime committed against the people of this country (and the world) in our lifetimes. Millions robbed of their liberty, their livelihoods -- all in the name of partisan politics. 

Agreed: Get the administration out of the CDC. The admin politicized the CDC and it's a disgrace.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

"Rules for you, not for me"

It's not too dangerous to vote in person. 

It's dangerous for *some people* to vote in person. 

Oh, and in many states, voting by mail is legal so anyone can do it any time and in the year of a pandemic, that would seem like a good time. 

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Games on games on games... 

How many lives could have been saved? How many businesses? 

All for partisan politics. 

They said the same about India in the summer. 

Edition #137 in Sweden got it right

Meanwhile, Europe is going through their second wave and are considering new lock downs.

This is now a settled matter, for those that doubted Sweden's approach, just come out now and say you got it wrong.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

On 9/19/2020 at 11:29 PM, Doc Brown said:

I was just perusing this thread seeing if there was anything on excess deaths.  Thanks for the link.

I've discussed this and linked lots of things pertaining to excess deaths.  Tremendous amount of excess deaths are Non COVID related.   The vast majority of them are people younger than the age of 50.  The draconian shut downs and heavy social distancing restrictions will go down in history as a colossal health policy response failure.

This virus was so much less worse than what it was made out to be.  I said it early on. the shut downs and heavy restrictions will have a far greater overall negative impact than the virus itself.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

36 minutes ago, Magox said:

Edition #137 in Sweden got it right

Meanwhile, Europe is going through their second wave and are considering new lock downs.

This is now a settled matter, for those that doubted Sweden's approach, just come out now and say you got it wrong.

I think a lot of people doubted Sweden’s approach. People also doubted the lockdown approach. And, some of them were the same people. IMO, doubt, without concrete evidence one way or the other, is good.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I think a lot of people doubted Sweden’s approach. People also doubted the lockdown approach. And, some of them were the same people. IMO, doubt, without concrete evidence one way or the other, is good.

Had Sweden managed to protect their elderly, would've said they nailed it.  But they definitely could've done better there.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Taro T said:

Had Sweden managed to protect their elderly, would've said they nailed it.  But they definitely could've done better there.

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I think Sweden got is as close to “right” as possible. However, questioning an approach is not a bad thing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Sweden did it "right" in that they stayed open IMO. 

But we are not Sweden. They are less populous, less densely populated, have a high population of people living alone, healthier, etc. Our outcomes, even if we did exactly what they did, are already worse and would have been worse. We aren't Sweden. We aren't India.  

All of this comparison to other countries is downright tiresome. If you lock everyone in their homes they won’t catch the virus but they’ll starve to death. If you let everyone go about their lives some vulnerable people will die but the vast majority of the population won’t. It’s not complicated!!!!

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Taro T said:

That was their largest failure and they would be the first to admit that.

In hindsight, the correct policy response would have been to keep most businesses and society with common sense social distancing measures and not allowing large groups to gather in confined spaces.   Deaths would have gone up initially but the overall amount of deaths would have been lower as there wouldn’t have been nearly as many of the non COVID related excess deaths.  Not to mention the tremendous damage on the economy as we have seen.   

Trumps instincts to have society open back up are right but his inability to show enough empathy is a reality he is facing now with voters.

With that said the political damage he would have faced months back would have been enormous if he had kept everything opened up.  Even though the country would have been much solid footing at this point than it is now.

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I started a thread in this back in April, and it’s amazing to see with the information that was available back then Closely matched up with the same conclusions as today.  Which was that the focus was too heavily direct COVID impact centric.  Health policy officials and the media failed, they viewed COVID in a vacuum.  The media we understand why they failed, they don’t care about what is right they care about Democrats winning elections.  They are a broken institution.  

The health officials should have seen this from the beginning. If non health officials like us saw this coming then why couldn’t they have seen it?  A complete failure.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1