The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

37 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Just wanted to post an update on my daughter Cassandra. First, she is doing fantastic. She is doing her school work, playing, and enjoying spending time with her family. It has been a week since we left Buffalo Children's Hospital. I want to thank all of you for the cards, kind words, and prayers. Many people have asked me what exactly happened so I will explain. I needed to collect my thoughts before I posted just because there is so much information.

Thank you, Jesus. Great news.

• Like (+1) 5

10 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Truly.  There is a strong correlation between eschewing a $20B static measure and refusing to wear a mask that costs $5 or so.  

It's a joke but the joke has logical merit to it.

• Like (+1) 2

....putting politics aside and regardless of party in power at 1600  Pennsylvania, do we REALISTICALLY ever know where the money goes?....does our 535 parasitic brethren seriouly want to answer THAT question?......better yet, do they care?......

Feds spent nearly $100B on pandemic readiness, health security in decade leading up to coronavirus crisis

Over the past decade, the U.S. government spent nearly $100 billion on preparation for major health crises including pandemics, according to a 2018 paper on such funding -- though the coronavirus outbreak still had Washington and states across the country scrambling to muster supplies and respond when it hit.

Numbers from a paper in the academic journal "Health Security" released in late 2018 indicate that the government spent between $10 billion and $12 billion each year from 2010 to 2018 across several agencies on programs that contribute to "biosecurity," the management of "pandemic influenza and emerging infectious diseases," and "multiple-hazard and general preparedness" programs that assist in readiness for and response to different types of health threats, including diseases like the coronavirus.

COVID-19 seems to be the kind of problem the U.S. was preparing for, but a debate has raged in Washington over whether the money was spent effectively.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pandemic-preparedness-spending

The press is ridiculous. "How can the government keep me safe?" And "How can the government keep my kids safe?" 

The announcement for people who want a test can get a test, and then the press asks... "When can people get a test?" :wallbash:

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

THIS WOULD BE VERY GOOD NEWS: 

Have Stockholm and Other Places Already Reached Herd Immunity? 

Nicholas Lewis argues that the Covid modelers’ doomsday predictions were off because they wrongly assumed that the “herd immunity threshold” is 50 to 60 percent of the population, whereas there is reason to believe that it’s actually much lower and has already been reached in Stockholm and probably in some other places.

This paper and other encouraging developments — like the downward trend for infections in Germany despite the easing of the lockdown — are discussed in Toby Young’s daily roundup at Lockdown Skeptics.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

The press is ridiculous. "How can the government keep me safe?" And "How can the government keep my kids safe?" 

The announcement for people who want a test can get a test, and then the press asks... "When can people get a test?" :wallbash:

Yep, the testing thing is so outdated. Anyone can get tested, and in most areas tests far exceed people wanting to take them. The simple answer is the government cannot keep anyone from contacting a virus. 

• Like (+1) 2

Jonathan Karl just asked the STOOOOOOOPIEST question in White House history.

When will all 350 million Americans be able to get tested every day? How about the 12th. of Effing NEVER, Jon.

Someone needs an update on how masks work.

Capture.jpg

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, B-Man said:

When will all 350 million Americans be able to get tested every day? How about the 12th. of Effing NEVER, Jon.

Capture.jpg

Jonathan Karl has been asking some really stupid questions lately.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shoshin said:

I just don't want to let this fear-spreading statement stand. That's not true unless the vaccine developed attacks something in one strain that is much different than another. Most of the vaccines so far have been focused on the spike part of the virus, which is largely unchanged between strains. 

Thank you for the irony.

25 minutes ago, B-Man said:

They’ve been asking this every day since it began and the answer is the same every day....never!

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Capture.jpg

cmon, he did not..link or it did not happen! (I truly can not believe he asked that)

And , can not tell you how many times i have seen this in the last few days as the use of masks has exploded. Having said that, looks like they are outside..cmon people, use common sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

Thank you, Jesus. Great news.

Right.  Thanks man. See thinking after she went thru might be 1 in a million or so chances for surviving for anyone. But happy and good for miracle's happen. Being so close to death esp turning blue hands and feet.  And at the hospital my sister and husband say good bye few weeks ago. But she survived with low ecmo percent. Ya the coxsackie B I think almost got the sudden death (think it was that bad one). But she's tough made it thru and been home I think past couple- few weeks. Witch is great news. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Magox said:

It's a joke but the joke has logical merit to it.

What merit is that? 

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yep, the testing thing is so outdated. Anyone can get tested, and in most areas tests far exceed people wanting to take them. The simple answer is the government cannot keep anyone from contacting a virus. 

I tried to get an antibody test.  Three days and counting.  Maybe anyone can get tested, but it appears that the part about the wait time has been omitted. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

What merit is that? 

I tried to get an antibody test.  Three days and counting.  Maybe anyone can get tested, but it appears that the part about the wait time has been omitted. 

If you don’t get it then you aren’t bright enough to explain it to.

35 minutes ago, realtruelove said:

Are there any drive through COVID-19 sites open in Western New York.?

Yeah,  here is a list.

If you are serious, call your local walmart, cvs, walgreens, or rite aid to find the nearest drive thru location. they should have an up to the minute list.

• Like (+1) 2

USA Total 1,381,963 +14,325 81,568 +781 1,040,115 4,175 246 9,705,424 29,321    
New York 345,987 +581 26,874 +62 260,750 17,785 1,381 1,204,650 61,924 [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10 [projections]
New Jersey 140,930 +922 9,312 +48 130,083 15,867 1,048 425,933 47,954 [view by county] [1 [projections]
Illinois 79,007 +1,266 3,459 +53 74,903 6,235 273 442,425 34,914 [1] [2] [3] [4 [projections

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Good sign to come following days for NY? Unsure if accurate. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

cmon, he did not..link or it did not happen! (I truly can not believe he asked that)

And , can not tell you how many times i have seen this in the last few days as the use of masks has exploded. Having said that, looks like they are outside..cmon people, use common sense. 

I love when I take my daily hike/walk and I see people outside with no one withing 50 yards and they are wearing a mask.  We have created a bunch of paranoid fearful closed minded robots. 

Heard in a grocery store in SF a few years ago (Seriously):

Johnny...don't walk away you might get kidnapped.  

Heard by my mother 50 years ago:

Jimmy...be careful playing at the gravel pit.  You KNOW your uncle died there when he was your age. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I love when I take my daily hike/walk and I see people outside with no one withing 50 yards and they are wearing a mask.  We have created a bunch of paranoid fearful closed minded robots. 

Heard in a grocery store in SF a few years ago (Seriously):

Johnny...don't walk away you might get kidnapped.  

Heard by my mother 50 years ago:

Jimmy...be careful playing at the gravel pit.  You KNOW your uncle died there when he was your age. 

Or they’re building good habits.  Either or.  I wear min even when the closest person is at great distance.  No sense in fiddling with it and touching hands to face unnecessarily.  And I avoid risk from variables like wind and failure to observe a nearby person.  It might be extreme, but it’s also smart. And certainly not robotic.  

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Or they’re building good habits.  Either or.  I wear min even when the closest person is at great distance.  No sense in fiddling with it and touching hands to face unnecessarily.  And I avoid risk from variables like wind and failure to observe a nearby person.  It might be extreme, but it’s also smart. And certainly not robotic.  

You are really good at Simon Says I bet.  Are you more afraid of spreading or getting? 

I don't have a mask and wear a cloth over my face when i go to the store because I have to. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Magox said:

Better than last weeks numbers.  Hit lows that we hadn’t seen since end of March.  Things definitely headed in the right direction.

Yes it is Magox. Very good. (My last post they updated NY).  But anyway's let's hope this trend continues down.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

You are really good at Simon Says I bet.  Are you more afraid of spreading or getting? 

I don't have a mask and wear a cloth over my face when i go to the store because I have to. 

A little of both with respect to your question.    Mostly I see it as a courtesy to others.  It also displays intelligent, respectful behavior to my children.  Can’t ask them to do something that I won’t or don’t do myself. 

3 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

A little of both with respect to your question.    Mostly I see it as a courtesy to others.  It also displays intelligent, respectful behavior to my children.  Can’t ask them to do something that I won’t or don’t do myself. 

So I anticipate you to be wearing a mask for the rest of your life come every flu season right? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....putting politics aside and regardless of party in power at 1600  Pennsylvania, do we REALISTICALLY ever know where the money goes?....does our 535 parasitic brethren seriouly want to answer THAT question?......better yet, do they care?......

Feds spent nearly $100B on pandemic readiness, health security in decade leading up to coronavirus crisis

Over the past decade, the U.S. government spent nearly $100 billion on preparation for major health crises including pandemics, according to a 2018 paper on such funding -- though the coronavirus outbreak still had Washington and states across the country scrambling to muster supplies and respond when it hit.

Numbers from a paper in the academic journal "Health Security" released in late 2018 indicate that the government spent between $10 billion and $12 billion each year from 2010 to 2018 across several agencies on programs that contribute to "biosecurity," the management of "pandemic influenza and emerging infectious diseases," and "multiple-hazard and general preparedness" programs that assist in readiness for and response to different types of health threats, including diseases like the coronavirus.

COVID-19 seems to be the kind of problem the U.S. was preparing for, but a debate has raged in Washington over whether the money was spent effectively.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pandemic-preparedness-spending

They know.  It’s one of the reasons people un power do so well financially, why their friends and family do as well.  In the corporate world they rail against greed, bid-rigging, nepotism and sweet heart deals.  In the world of government it’s business as usual.  

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

So I anticipate you to be wearing a mask for the rest of your life come every flu season right? 

No, the flu isn’t as deadly, as dangerous, or as contagious as COVID-19. 

this “anti-mask” attitude is sort of sad.  We used to have a sense of unity and shared sacrifice in this country.  Now there’s a significant part of the population that can’t be bothered to undertake a small act or courtesy to the public at large.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, SectionC3 said:

this “anti-mask” attitude is sort of sad.  We used to have a sense of unity and shared sacrifice in this country.  Now there’s a significant part of the population that can’t be bothered to undertake a small act or courtesy to the public at large.  

You can thank the left for that. Eroding cultural norms are their thing. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

They know.  It’s one of the reasons people un power do so well financially, why their friends and family do as well.  In the corporate world they rail against greed, bid-rigging, nepotism and sweet heart deals.  In the world of government it’s business as usual.  

Kind of like how Woody Johnson’s company got huge federal dollars to develop a vaccine, right?  Were it the best company to develop the vax, or were it the furthest ahead, I wouldn’t have mentioned it.  But I don’t know that either of those things is true. 

Edited by SectionC3

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

Yep, selfish dbags everywhere! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

You can thank the left for that. Eroding cultural norms are their thing. 

yeah that’s it.  All of those leftists won’t wear the mask.  Maybe the fake winner president should take his wife’s advice, be better on that respect, and wear the mask when it’s appropriate.  

1 minute ago, Q-baby! said:

Yep, selfish dbags everywhere! 

I hate to say it, but that’s how I feel, too.  It’s just selfish.  The wrong place to prove a point about individual liberty.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1