The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

yeah that’s it.  All of those leftists won’t wear the mask.  Maybe the fake winner president should take his wife’s advice, be better on that respect, and wear the mask when it’s appropriate.  

I hate to say it, but that’s how I feel, too.  It’s just selfish.  The wrong place to prove a point about individual liberty.  

Can't have it both ways.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

No, the flu isn’t as deadly, as dangerous, or as contagious as COVID-19. 

But it is deadly right?  So in reality you don't care  you've just bought into the Simon Says hype.  

As I mentioned my mother worries every year when flu season comes along because of her age.  No one EVER wore a mask around her during the flu season which kills how many every year? 

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

this “anti-mask” attitude is sort of sad.  We used to have a sense of unity and shared sacrifice in this country.  Now there’s a significant part of the population that can’t be bothered to undertake a small act or courtesy to the public at large.  

Don't give me this sanctimonious BS unless you plan on wearing a mask come every flu season for the rest of your life.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Kind of like how Woody Johnson’s company got huge federal dollars to develop a vaccine, right?  Were it the best company to develop the vax, or were it the furthest ahead, I wouldn’t have mentioned it.  But I don’t know that either of those things is true. 

Perhaps, though were that you did know thouth was neither the furthest nor swiftest nor bestest, we might be able to discuss to wit. 

12 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

But it is deadly right?  So in reality you don't care  you've just bought into the Simon Says hype.  

As I mentioned my mother worries every year when flu season comes along because of her age.  No one EVER wore a mask around her during the flu season which kills how many every year? 

apples and oranges, sir, for the reasons noted above.   Deadlier,  no vaccine, and more contagious.  Ask someone who’s been on a COVID floor of a hospital about the differences.  

14 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Don't give me this sanctimonious BS unless you plan on wearing a mask come every flu season for the rest of your life.   

I’ll give what I please.  Save your indignation.  

58 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

.  It also displays intelligent, respectful behavior to my children.  Can’t ask them to do something that I won’t or don’t do myself. 

funny, I am trying tio teach my children, and always have, to not believe everything they see on TV or read on the Gram or Twitter.I think for the most part we have succeeded.And while I am a never Trumper, he is not quite MAGA, but certainly not where I am on Trump. And i respect the hell out of him for that. He is 19, and i think I was successful in getting him to think for himself and form his own opinions.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

funny, I am trying tio teach my children, and always have, to not believe everything they see on TV or read on the Gram or Twitter.I think for the most part we have succeeded.And while I am a never Trumper, he is not quite MAGA, but certainly not where I am on Trump. And i respect the hell out of him for that. He is 19, and i think I was successful in getting him to think for himself and form his own opinions.

Good for him for having his own opinion.  I don’t agree with it, and I suspect he will moderate with more life experience.  But it’s important to think for one’s self and to ask why things are the way they are.  One of the ironies of today’s political climate is that the most disingenuous administration of my lifetime has attempted to assume, and with some succeeded in assuming, the mantle of truth.  

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Good for him for having his own opinion.  I don’t agree with it, and I suspect he will moderate with more life experience.  But it’s important to think for one’s self and to ask why things are the way they are.  One of the ironies of today’s political climate is that the most disingenuous administration of my lifetime has attempted to assume, and with some succeeded in assuming, the mantle of truth.  

dont know how old your kids are, but if old enough encourage them to read artickes for themselves , on both sides of the argument, and decide for themselves what may be the correct path of behaviour.  I wear a mask when in stores, and have for 3 weeks or so. I have great friends who will  not , and i get their reasoning too

Masks now required in the White House, which is sensible and follows the CDC recommendations. 

I hope Trump follows his own rules. It would be a good message for the country to do as he says and does. 

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

dont know how old your kids are, but if old enough encourage them to read artickes for themselves , on both sides of the argument, and decide for themselves what may be the correct path of behaviour.  I wear a mask when in stores, and have for 3 weeks or so. I have great friends who will  not , and i get their reasoning too

My oldest is four. We watch the news, and she knows who trump and pence and Fauci are.  The question she asks the most is why trump refuses to wear a mask and stands so close to others.  From the mouths of babes ....

6 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Masks now required in the White House, which is sensible and follows the CDC recommendations. 

I hope Trump follows his own rules. It would be a good message for the country to do as he says and does. 

He and pence will war their non-infected statuses as badges. 

Just now, SectionC3 said:

My oldest is four. We watch the news, and she knows who trump and pence and Fauci are.  The question she asks the most is why trump refuses to wear a mask and stands so close to others.  From the mouths of babes ....

yep, way to early to get them to read both sides LOL! Enjoy them while they still like you!?

7 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I actually get their reasoning, too.  I genuinely do.  I just think it’s the wrong spot to take the stand.  I guess it’s the way America works;. They can do something which I disagree, and I have the right to tell them how much I do not appreciate their behavior. 

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

You can thank the left for that. Eroding cultural norms are their thing. 

This ^^^ and what’s with this “ the flu isn’t as deadly blah blah “ We know it isn’t, yet tens of thousands die from it every flu season. Don’t those deaths matter? I don’t recall seeing folks wearing masks before, or calls to close the country for a few months every winter. Sorry, but wearing a face covering anytime you go outside isn’t a small thing nor is it necessary. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

This ^^^ and what’s with this “ the flu isn’t as deadly blah blah “ We know it isn’t, yet tens of thousands die from it every flu season. Don’t those deaths matter? I don’t recall seeing folks wearing masks before, or calls to close the country for a few months every winter. Sorry, but wearing a face covering anytime you go outside isn’t a small thing nor is it necessary. 

The flu doesn’t start from one case and kill 50,000 people in a month and bomb out health systems. Besides that, they are identical. Even the White House now requires masks. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

How is it a large thing? 

2 minutes ago, shoshin said:

The flu doesn’t start from one case and kill 50,000 people in a month and bomb out health systems. Besides that, they are identical. Even the White House now requires masks. 

Yes they do; inside. Joggers and people in cars wearing masks is just a bit overdone. Deaths are deaths and they count, right ? The flu  is not the same , but it has claimed far more lives than Covid19 at this point and probably for quite some time. 

Too funny. They’re finally SD in the WH and you say masks are now required? lol. That’s hilarious. Those idiots took long enough to follow their own advice. And what message does that send now?

To the anti-mask crowd. You guys just don’t get it. You wonder why ppl wear them in their cars? Well maybe they’re going from one store to another and don’t want to fiddle with it. You wonder why they wear it in public when nobody is nearby. Once again they don’t want to fiddle with it. Before you people criticize others maybe you should think this all the way through. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yes they do; inside. Joggers and people in cars wearing masks is just a bit overdone. Deaths are deaths and they count, right ? The flu  is not the same , but it has claimed far more lives than Covid19 at this point and probably for quite some time. 

Of course the flu has claimed more than COVID.  COVID has been around for what, six months?  An absurd point if ever there was one. 

1 minute ago, Justice said:

Too funny. They’re finally SD in the WH and you say masks are now required? lol. That’s hilarious. Those idiots took long enough to follow their own advice. And what message does that send now?

To the anti-mask crowd. You guys just don’t get it. You wonder why ppl wear them in their cars? Well maybe they’re going from one store to another and don’t want to fiddle with it. You wonder why they wear it in public when nobody is nearby. Once again they don’t want to fiddle with it. Before you people criticize others maybe you should think this all the way through. 

I’ll translate the message: they’re inept, and their response to the virus has been a fiasco. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The many strains of flu have been around for years and start from thousands of active cases. Are you comparing that with Covid, where the first case was in December and we will have 100,000 dead by the end of May? And those numbers are WITH social distancing. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Justice said:

I’d much rather “ fiddle with it” (ie not wear it when I don’t have to) than to normalize and adopt the custom of covering faces in the USA. The more it is kept as a temporary measure the better. You think it hasn’t occurred to me or others that yes , some are just being lazy and wearing it all the time ? 

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

The many strains of flu have been around for years and start from thousands of active cases. Are you comparing that with Covid, where the first case was in December and we will have 100,000 dead by the end of May? And those numbers are WITH social distancing. 

You’re trivializing the flu deaths. 

6 minutes ago, Justice said:

It sends the message, “We were wrong. This can affect anyone and we know masks are a good idea that we ignored before but now we will listen to the scientists.”

Something like that. When Trump comes out in the mask tomorrow, it will be a good message to America to do as he does. That he’s not a “do as I say not as I do” kind of person. 

36 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I actually get their reasoning, too.  I genuinely do.  I just think it’s the wrong spot to take the stand.  I guess it’s the way America works;. They can do something which I disagree, and I have the right to tell them how much I do not appreciate their behavior. 

You guess that’s the way America works?  

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I’d much rather “ fiddle with it” (ie not wear it when I don’t have to) than to normalize and adopt the custom of covering faces in the USA. The more it is kept as a temporary measure the better. You think it hasn’t occurred to me or others that yes , some are just being lazy and wearing it all the time ? 

And this is why we have the biggest problem in the world with this virus. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Not just that, but challenge them in hopes they get tripped up, but also encourage them to find the answer and get back to you. You'll be surprised what they can do with encouragement and independent thinking. Good on you for raising your son so well. Too bad there are a lot of leftists here who are convinced they're too stupid to think for themselves, so there's on sense thinking their children ever will.

On the upside, the world needs someone to make the the Burger King kiosks are working, so they have that going for them. Which is nice.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Justice said:

And this is why we have the biggest problem in the world with this virus. 

On a deaths per million basis, we're #13 and falling like wet laundry from a 20-story building and staring up at Belgium, Spain, Italy, UK, France, Ireland...the list goes on. in fact, we're just a third of the world's deaths. And NY is a third of the US deaths. So, y'know, a little hyperbole, y'think?

If you're going by pure numbers, I know you're smart enough to understand why that's a faulty way to look at things.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, IDBillzFan said:

On a deaths per million basis, we're #13 and falling like wet laundry from a 20-story building and staring up at Belgium, Spain, Italy, UK, France, Ireland...the list goes on. in fact, we're just a third of the world's deaths. And NY is a third of the US deaths. So, y'know, a little hyperbole, y'think?

If you're going by pure numbers, I know you're smart enough to understand why that's a faulty way to look at things.

Well that’s not what I heard. If your numbers are correct I take back my statement. 

17 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Not just that, but challenge them in hopes they get tripped up, but also encourage them to find the answer and get back to you. You'll be surprised what they can do with encouragement and independent thinking. Good on you for raising your son so well. Too bad there are a lot of leftists here who are convinced they're too stupid to think for themselves, so there's on sense thinking their children ever will.

On the upside, the world needs someone to make the the Burger King kiosks are working, so they have that going for them. Which is nice.

Go to a Trump rally and you would be hard pressed to find 10 people who could handle that task. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Who are those leftists?  

19 minutes ago, Q-baby! said:

Go to a Trump rally and you would be hard pressed to find 10 people who could handle that task. 

Ladies and gentlemen, Q-baby has won the Internet tonight. 

57 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Let me see if I can unpack this one. To engage in the affirmative act of putting on and wearing a mask is lazy.  But, if I understand correctly, you have also intimated that not wearing a mask is never lazy, and instead is always a statement of some sort.  

That sounds like alternative logic. 

13 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Who are those leftists?  

Ladies and gentlemen, Q-baby has won the Internet tonight. 

You’re very easily impressed. 

Oh and news from the front. Took a hike out in the hills overlooking the Laguna Coast. Between the short drive to and from and the hike we saw probably 50 people. Only one mask. What a bunch of douchebags. 

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

You’re very easily impressed. 

Oh and news from the front. Took a hike out in the hills overlooking the Laguna Coast. Between the short drive to and from and the hike we saw probably 50 people. Only one mask. What a bunch of douchebags. 

Someone who thinks Donald Trump has performed well as president calling me easily impressed.  Now that is something. 

5 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Someone who thinks Donald Trump has performed well as president calling me easily impressed.  Now that is something. 

Yes I’m impressed by someone who beat all the odds, who no one thought had a chance to win has now been the leader of the “free world” for the last 3.5 years and has a great chance to continue for the next four years. You?  You’re impressed by a childish, immature brat who goes around calling people who he disagrees with “ball-lickers”.   

Oh and where have I said he’s performed well?  

Where are y'all buying these f***ing masks? I can't even find ass wipe on the shelves.

Even if I had a mask I doubt I'd wear it. Not for any principled reasons, it just seems like an unnecessary hassle. I keep my distance from others, I don't cough or sneeze in public, and I want to give people a reason to stay the hell away from me.

Plus, I'm pretty sure I don't have the Kung flu, but even if I do, if a stranger gets close enough to me to catch it, he deserves what he gets.

Edited by Rob's House

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Yes I’m impressed by someone who beat all the odds, who no one thought had a chance to win has now been the leader of the “free world” for the last 3.5 years and has a great chance to continue for the next four years. You?  You’re impressed by a childish, immature brat who goes around calling people who he disagrees with “ball-lickers”.   

Oh and where have I said he’s performed well?  

Either you believe him to have performed well or you support a mediocre president.  (And mediocre probably is a compliment.). Your choice. 

Just now, Rob's House said:

Where are y'all buying these f***ing masks? I can't even find ass wipe on the shelves.

Even if I had a mask I doubt I'd wear it. Mot for any principled reasons, it just seems like an unnecessary hassle. I keep my distance from others, I don't cough or sneeze in public, and I want to give people a reason to stay the hell away from me.

Plus, I'm pretty sure I don't have the Kung flu, but even if I do, if a stranger gets close enough to me to catch it, he deserves what he gets.

I wrap a dish towel around my face when I go to the store.  ?