The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Looks like the NY times decided to finally lay a glove on Cuomo and Deblasio.

For many days after the first positive test, as the coronavirus silently spread throughout the New York region, Mr. Cuomo, Mr. de Blasio and their top aides projected an unswerving confidence that the outbreak would be readily contained.

There would be cases, they repeatedly said, but New York’s hospitals were some of the best in the world. Plans were in place. Responses had been rehearsed during “tabletop” exercises. After all, the city had been here before — Ebola, Zika, the H1N1 virus, even Sept. 11.

“Excuse our arrogance as New Yorkers — I speak for the mayor also on this one — we think we have the best health care system on the planet right here in New York,” Mr. Cuomo said on March 2. “So, when you’re saying, what happened in other countries versus what happened here, we don’t even think it’s going to be as bad as it was in other countries.”…

“We can really keep this thing contained,” Mr. de Blasio said at a news conference about virus preparations in late February.

That tone continued even after the first positive case was announced on March 1.

“Everybody is doing exactly what we need to do,” said Mr. Cuomo, seated with Mr. de Blasio, at a news conference on March 2. “We have been ahead of this from Day 1.”

By March 12, a doctor gave Mayor de Blasio a particularly stark warning that if some kind of shut down didn’t happen, up to 70% of the city could become infected. According to the Times, here’s how de Blasio reacted:

Mr. de Blasio, seated beside her at the meeting, stared daggers as she spoke.

“Why don’t you shut down restaurants now?” a chief executive who attended the meeting recalled someone asking the mayor.

“I’m really concerned about restaurateurs; I’m really concerned about jobs,” the mayor responded, the executive recalled. Mr. de Blasio had urged New Yorkers to start social distancing and work from home where possible.

The following weekend, even though Mr. de Blasio and Mr. Cuomo had ordered occupancy limits for restaurants and bars, much of the city’s nightlife appeared to continue apace.

The shutdown of New York’s schools and businesses wasn’t in Trump’s hands, it was in the hands of Cuomo and de Blasio the whole time [emphasis added]:

State and city officials believed they were doing everything possible to confront the outbreak, moving from big decision to big decision so quickly that each day, they said, felt like a year. They blamed the spread in New York on the federal government, which they say dragged its feet on testing. For weeks, Mr. Trump brushed aside concerns that the outbreak would damage the country…

But local officials did have control over closing schools and businesses. While they waited on making a decision, other major cities were moving toward shutdowns.

In California, Los Angeles followed San Francisco’s lead and closed its schools on March 13, after 40 cases of the virus had been confirmed. On that same day, there were nearly four times as many confirmed cases in New York, but the city’s schools remained open.

I actually was in New York city from the 16th-18th.  The restaurants were still open and there was no stay-at-home order yet that was in place.  

I don't post this to blame them.  No one was truly prepared for this.  Not Europe, not W.H.O, not the CDC, not the federal government etc etc.  The only ones who truly handled this well that were in the Northern Hemisphere were the Asians and that was because of their history with H1N1.

If you are someone who is constantly bashing the Federal government, then I think this article I think pretty much squashes the idea that this was just a "Bad Orange man" issue.

With that said, I don't expect the NY times to follow up with this story and that this story will not be played throughout cable news networks, and if they do it will be just a brief mention with very little follow up.   If the media was even handed, there would be LOTS to go after Cuomo and DeBlasio with.  But of course they won't because the national corporate media is a broken institution. 

• Thank you (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Magox said:

Looks like the NY times decided to finally lay a glove on Cuomo and Deblasio.

I actually was in New York city from the 16th-18th.  The restaurants were still open and there was no stay-at-home order yet that was in place.  

I don't post this to blame them.  No one was truly prepared for this.  Not Europe, not W.H.O, not the CDC, not the federal government etc etc.  The only ones who truly handled this well that were in the Northern Hemisphere were the Asians and that was because of their history with H1N1.

If you are someone who is constantly bashing the Federal government, then I think this article I think pretty much squashes the idea that this was just a "Bad Orange man" issue.

With that said, I don't expect the NY times to follow up with this story and that this story will not be played throughout cable news networks, and if they do it will be just a brief mention with very little follow up.   If the media was even handed, there would be LOTS to go after Cuomo and DeBlasio with.  But of course they won't because the national corporate media is a broken institution. 

Good post but disagree part on WHO. There suckered up kissing China (ccp) butt while rest of the world suffered. Like President Trump said. Time to investigate and possibly stop paying them.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

18 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

It's April 9th and there are symptomatic patients with fever who still can't get a test in Erie County.

It sucks and people are working on it as hard as they can. You can’t make these things appear overnight. 

There are people everywhere not getting tested. Some for lack of tests. Some for lack of ppe for testers. Some because they should stay home because we don’t want others exposed. It’s a tough time. 

The hope on testing is that it will be there, and way more organized (away from hospitals) for the next wave. 

Edited by shoshin

21 minutes ago, ALF said:
#BREAKING: All New Yorkers will be able to vote absentee on the June 23rd primaries. New Yorkers shouldn't have to choose between their health and their civic duty

What a disaster that Wisconsin could not vote this way 

Milwaukee has around 300,000 registered voters and usually has 180 polling locations. On Tuesday, there were just five open because many sites were consolidated due to a shortage of poll workers.

https://www.nbc15.com/content/news/Long-lines-forming-at-Milwaukee-polling-locations-569436971.html

Of course. He's a democrat, and democrats love voter fraud and enabling it.

• Like (+1) 1

I like voting by paper. No lines. I can take my time. Paper or electronic, whatever. It’s a state by state issue with fraud accusations more exciting than real. 

It’s going to take a long time to count all those though! 

Edited by shoshin

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

It sucks and people are working on it as hard as they can. You can’t make these things appear overnight. 

There are people everywhere not getting tested. Some for lack of tests. Some for lack of ppe. Some because they should stay home because we don’t want others exposed. It’s a tough time. 

The hope on testing is that it will be there, and way more organized (away from hospitals) for the next wave. 

America has the most test done. While noone else close to them.  2,226,116 USA (highest) to Germany 1,317,887. As of right now.

1 hour ago, Gary M said:

Yeah I had an Asian guy tell me once to always get white rice, fried rice is dirty, they reuse from previous day and break it up with their hands.

Because that’s the only thing in the kitchen they touch. ?

1 minute ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

America has the most test done. While noone else close to them.  2,226,116 USA (highest) to Germany 1,317,887. As of right now.

Per capita is a more telling stat on testing. We all know that we need lots more testing. 

5 minutes ago, Magox said:

I don't post this to blame them.  No one was truly prepared for this.  Not Europe, not W.H.O, not the CDC, not the federal government etc etc.

Exactly. People who continually want to complain, criticize, and engage in the blame game, during a crisis, are doing so out of purely selfish reasons. There will be plenty of time to analyze responses and actions down the road. When we do, and if we do so from an objective perspective, we will find that there were plenty of mistakes made by many people, here and around the world. Rather than use that information to cast blame on those who were trying their best, hopefully, we can use it to take steps to reduce the chances of it happening again and to be better prepared the next time it does.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

People who continually want to complain, criticize, and engage in the blame game, during a crisis, are doing so out of purely selfish reasons.

Complain, criticize, and blame? The president is doing each of those things daily.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Per capita is a more telling stat on testing. We all know that we need lots more testing. 

Here’s your answer. Right now the US is dead average of the top ten impacted countries when measured in tests per million. But you have to remember we’re a MUCH BIGGER country geographically so we have little reason for mass testing in entire sections of the interior.