The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

30 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

The virus is real. Rational people can disagree about the what they think the best course of action is. But there's a whole lot of irrationality at play, and dangerous people screaming about civil war. 

Bro, who the hell is screaming about civil war?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Motorin' said:

What are you talking about. Some self described deranged Rhino made the claim that social we've never had polices like this before. We have. 

That's untrue. But again, you're trying to argue without acknowledging your own failings. That's a bad way to go about it. 

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

That's untrue. But again, you're trying to argue without acknowledging your own failings. That's a bad way to go about it. 

Enjoy you're stomping ground. Glad I stopped by to talk to such reasonable people! Enjoy. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Motorin' said:

Enjoy you're stomping ground. Glad I stopped by to talk to such reasonable people! Enjoy. 

You made several false claims all in the same discussion -- then moved the goalposts when it was pointed out to you rather than be an adult and say, "oops, I was wrong". 

But yes. Everyone else is the unreasonable ones. 

Go back to sleep. 

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

You made several false claims all in the same discussion -- then moved the goalposts when it was pointed out to you rather than be an adult and say, "oops, I was wrong". 

Go back to sleep. 

You are ***** deranged. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

You should stick around. Information other than what the "msm" is allowing you is always informative. You take it, disseminate it, and form your own conclusions.  Being programed by the "msm" is no way to go through life.

• Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

There you go again -- pushing talking points from the media complex as an excuse not to look any deeper into the very real issues being raised. 

Because you're SOUND asleep. You just don't know it. 

The harbinger of all truth, logic and facts. A legend in his own mind how dare anyone question what he/she calls "truth" . May as well close the internet and allow THIS persona to tell us ALL what is right wrong truth deception woke asleep. Such a deep thinker. You're DEEP alright. 

and Buffalo Gal thinks "she's pretty sure" there may have been some deaths due to covid. Now THAT"s the kind of info I''d expect from someone like her. Close second on the deep scale. 

when I need a dose of know it all conspiracy theorists and wannabe experts in Everything. Solomon and Solomettes  this is where I come LOL

Edited by ~Kostabi~
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

The media. 

Who he's TOTALLY not influenced by :lol: 

I admittedly haven't watched any of the alphabet networks or the fake news as they are nothing more than the propaganda arm of the DNC. But are they SERIOUSLY trying to say that the reopen crowd is planning to start a civil f*cking war?

Just now, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

I admittedly haven't watched any of the alphabet networks or the fake news as they are nothing more than the propaganda arm of the DNC. But are they SERIOUSLY trying to say that the reopen crowd is planning to start a civil f*cking war?

no 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Hey, wanna read this NIH study on masks?

I know, I know, it doesn't fit the new world order so the NIH (in 2015) must be sandbagging, buuuut...

Wear you mask if you like. If it isn't a N95 you are simply virtual signaling.

This study was for "cloth mask use for HCWs was conducted in 14 hospitals in Hanoi, Vietnam."

Hardly surprising that in that setting cloth masks didn't protect the HCWs as well as surgical masks is it?  And at this point, most people shouldn't be wearing crappy scarfs. You can get a decent fitting medical mask from lots of places (not necessarily the N95). 

If the patients had been wearing masks AND the HCWs were wearing them too..., then you'd have a study that makes an interesting point that would kind of replicate the real world.

Being upset about hot and itchy masks remains no excuse not to wear them indoors with strangers. 

1 minute ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

When did this happen? I was just out in Rochester and Mt. Morris yesterday, I didn't see any of this

Pretty much every winter except this last one during blizzards.

Just now, shoshin said:

This study was for "cloth mask use for HCWs was conducted in 14 hospitals in Hanoi, Vietnam."

Hardly surprising that in that setting cloth masks didn't protect the HCWs as well as surgical masks is it?  And at this point, most people shouldn't be wearing crappy scarfs. You can get a decent fitting medical mask from lots of places (not necessarily the N95). 

If the patients had been wearing masks AND the HCWs were wearing them too..., then you'd have a study that makes an interesting point that would kind of replicate the real world.

Being upset about hot and itchy masks remains no excuse not to wear them indoors with strangers. 

:wallbash: It shows that cloth masks are WORTHLESS. It does not matter if you are in an igloo, a desert, a tropical paradise, you are blocking 3% of partials with a cloth mask.  A medical mask is at 44% (frightening, I had hoped for 100%), and the N95 are at 99.97% (what someone who is at risk hopes we all wear).

I am sorry someone sneezed on you when you were little and you do not know how to practice good hygiene, but Jesus H Christ, get over it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, meazza said:

Here is why you fail in your analysis:

1) The Spanish flu was very bad for healthy young people and extremely devestating for pregnant women and their unborn children.

2) The Spanish flu was during a period of war therefore most people were probably having a hard time getting food, medicine and water based.

3) The technology differences between 1918 and today are obviously exponentially different.

I heard we burned people during the plague to flatten the curve.  Do you want to do that?

Ya know what was crazy? And this is prolly totally OT..but

1)It was during the war, and Wilson was so focused on winning the war so he could craft the peace that he never said one word about the epidemic..not one single stinking word. He thought it could distract the American people from focusing on the war effort. There was ZERO federal responce to the epidemic. 

2) What information did come out, came form the CPI Committee for Public Information. Pretty messed up this was allowed in the US. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Committee_on_Public_Information

This is why I think, it essential to have a battling press. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

Ya know what was crazy? And this is prolly totally OT..but

1)It was during the war, and Wilson was so focused on winning the war so he could craft the peace that he never said one word about the epidemic..not one single stinking word. He thought it could distract the American people from focusing on the war effort. There was ZERO federal responce to the epidemic. 

2) What information did come out, came form the CPI Committee for Public Information. Pretty messed up this was allowed in the US. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Committee_on_Public_Information

This is why I think, it essential to have a battling press. 

More evidence of Trump and his damndable lies lies lies!!

Oh wait, wrong pandemic. $#@! Wilson! 

I take your point, but I'm less interested in a battling press, much more interested in fair and accurate. Thankfully, we have choices in that regard and don't have to rely on traditional sources. 

• Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

Admittedly that last line is probably true for me.  But i also look at things like I was in Nashville the 1st week in March with 15 other friends.  Nashville is already a very heavy tourist destination.  Add into the mix we were there 2-3 days after the tornadoes came through which added greater numbers of people coming in to help and clean up.  None of my friends or families had as much as a sniffle.  My boss came back from a national conference that same week, came in Monday went home with a bad 'flu', he was in the office and in meetings.  Again, no one in my office or their immediate family were affected by Covid 19.  My son manages a target and lives with me and his 2 other brothers in a small apartment.  He wasn't wearing a mask until 1.5 weeks ago when it was required.  Again, not so much as a sniffle.  you'd think with all of this potential exposure and being in one of the hard hit areas, Philadelphia area, i would have encountered something, anything.  I haven't.  When you are naturally a skeptic, this doesn't help reduce my skepticism.  That being said.  I absolutely abide by all the recommendations that have been put in place and will continue to do so until otherwise notified.

I basically wear a mask to avoid physical confrontations with the mask shamers. Nothing screams "punch me in my goddamn face" louder than a pink manbun having Berniebro telling me I'm "going to poison and kill others with my ignorance" as I'm heading into a store. Then to turn around and watch him take down his mask to light up a cigarette as he smugly walks away and gets into his car feeling like he just served some privileged guy at the grocery store on a Saturday morning. This was before masks were even required in NYS.

To clarify, it's wasn't the smoking that bothered me. It was the complete lack of self awareness in being so unbelievably hypocritical and condescending without having any fear of getting his ass kicked. The world would be a much better and more respectful place if it was still socially acceptable to punch aholes in the face when they needed it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

More evidence of Trump and his damndable lies lies lies!!

Oh wait, wrong pandemic. $#@! Wilson! 

I take your point, but I'm less interested in a battling press, much more interested in fair and accurate. Thankfully, we have choices in that regard and don't have to rely on traditional sources. 

That Wilson was one strange dude! I like battling, fair and accurate. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

:wallbash: It shows that cloth masks are WORTHLESS. It does not matter if you are in an igloo, a desert, a tropical paradise, you are blocking 3% of partials with a cloth mask.  A medical mask is at 44% (frightening, I had hoped for 100%), and the N95 are at 99.97% (what someone who is at risk hopes we all wear).

I am sorry someone sneezed on you when you were little and you do not know how to practice good hygiene, but Jesus H Christ, get over it.

Your study was for HCWs who would wear a cloth mask in the VERY WORST place to wear a particle-trapping (on the inside) mask ALL DAY. It does not replicate the grocery store. Comparing the situation a HCW finds themselves in with your 30 minute trip to Wegmans is not a great data point. Also...

"A limitation of this study is that we did not measure compliance with hand hygiene, and the results reflect self-reported compliance, which may be subject to recall or other types of bias. Another limitation of this study is the lack of a no-mask control group and the high use of masks in the controls, which makes interpretation of the results more difficult. In addition, the quality of paper and cloth masks varies widely around the world, so the results may not be generalisable to all settings. The lack of influenza and RSV (or asymptomatic infections) during the study is also a limitation, although the predominance of rhinovirus is informative about pathogens transmitted by the droplet and airborne routes in this setting. As in previous studies, exposure to infection outside the workplace could not be estimated, but we would assume it to be equally distributed between trial arms. "

I will stick with the CDC recommendations. 

Edited by shoshin

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

That Wilson was one strange dude! I like battling, fair and accurate. 

Woodrow Wilson was the WORST president we ever could have had.

He's the one who pushed hard for American interventionism. The worst.

31 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Sorry I misunderstood you I thought you meant right now during the lockdown sorry

Driving bans during blizzards is just the first step on the road to communism and tyrannical rule.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LikeIGiveADarn said:

So we should keep driving bans up until June for a blizzard from March?

No.  Just during the actual blizzard.  You know, like wearing masks in close public spaces during an actual pandemic.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, shoshin said:

Until you have confidence that you're identifying outbreaks in near-real-time and tracing the contacts of those infected people, testing is inadequate. When someone feels sick and schedules a test, and gets those results a few days later, you're 8 days late. If you cut that to 3 days too late, you might be able to control outbreaks. 

Dont discount a person’s ability to communicate with the people they come in contact with regularly — as well as their healthcare provider.  Your post reads like it is only government-appointed trackers who are involved in tracking.  If I get symptoms, my family is going to know right away.  I’m telling my coworkers, as well.  That accounts for a lot, and it greatly reduces the “8 days late” aspect of what you’re saying.  

It it will be up to those people I inform to do the right thing and watch their symptoms and take better measures to limit contact with others.  My doctor should put me in whatever database exists to see if a hotspot pattern is emerging.  It will be up to me to isolate, etc. It seems that people (not you, but in a general sense) expect the government to be the only monitor of the public.  They won’t be and they can’t be. Like usual, people help each other out and eventually, if necessary, they turn to public officials and programs to fill in the gaps.  It shouldn’t be the other way around.

We aren’t baby birds in a nest with our mouths open to the sky.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

You keep going on about positive statements Trump made about China in January. What has your panties in such a bunch? That the President would say China is cooperating and doing all they can regarding the virus when that is the exact stance the WHO had at that point - and was pretty much the conduit between China and the world? That the president would be saying positive things when as late as 23 January there were literally a small number of cases outside of China, no deaths - and the WHO reporting that the outbreak did not yet constitute a public emergency of international concern and there was "no evidence" of the virus spreading between humans outside of China?

Don’t forget that our CDC contacted their Chinese equivalent back on December 30th (?) and asked if they would let us go to Wuhan to coordinate with them. We were rebuffed.  It would have been great to have gotten some virus samples to make tests way back then.  You can’t make tests without samples of the virus. 

Edit: here is a NYT article on this from February 7: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/07/health/cdc-coronavirus-china.html

FTA:

For more than a month, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has been offering to send a team of experts to China to observe its coronavirus outbreak and help if it can.

Normally, teams from the agency’s Epidemic Intelligence Servicecan be in the air within 24 hours.

But no invitation has come — and no one can publicly explain why.

The World Health Organization, which made a similar offer about two weeks ago, appears to be facing the same cold shoulder, though a spokeswoman said it is just “sorting out arrangements.”

Also, C.D.C. officials have said that they hope to learn more about the new coronavirus from their Chinese counterparts to improve the American response if the virus starts to spread widely here.

Edited by snafu
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Driving bans during blizzards is just the first step on the road to communism and tyrannical rule.

Roads are managed and maintained by the local municipalities, driving bans are usually a day or two at most, and I've never seen anyone arrested and put in jail because they drove during a ban.  So I wouldn't really say that's an accurate comparison.  But it does go to show how far you need to stretch to try and find any example of the government having the type of authority they've all tried to exert during the last two MONTHS!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Go back to sleep. 

Day drinking is a mofo.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, snafu said:

Don’t forget that our CDC contacted their Chinese equivalent back on December 30th (?) and asked if they would let us go to Wuhan to coordinate with them. We were rebuffed.  It would have been great to have gotten some virus samples to make tests way back then.  You can’t make tests without samples of the virus. 

Weekly reminder:

China is an enemy, not a global partner. ***** China.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Bad comparison Doc ( and a lazy one). Governments must clear the roads of snow  etc and pileups make that task difficult. Driving is also a privilege. Now, if they banned driving except in perfect weather because more accidents would happen during rainy conditions,  etc  and they need to"protect" us and keep us " safe" I might be inclined to agree with your statement 

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Bad comparison Doc ( and a lazy one). Governments must clear the roads of snow  etc and pileups make that task difficult. Driving is also a privilege. Now, if they banned driving except in perfect weather because more accidents would happen during rainy conditions,  etc  and they need to"protect" us and keep us " safe" I might be inclined to agree with your statement 

How do you feel about smoking bans in public places?

• Awesome! (+1) 1