The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Just now, GG said:

Does this anecdote prove that there isn't a crisis in NYC metro area?

Maybe not but it's just more evidence of deception that's all. Hey man if you chose to believe this I can't blame you. I would never mock you or anyone else for doing so. The media saturation for this is overwhelming and persistent. It's all about perception. I look at the people who are telling me to be afraid and contrast it to what I see and what other people see and say that I have no reason to distrust. This is the only way I can articulate it. If that makes me a nut job, well so be it. 

I know one thing. I''m no more afraid of this than any other flu. I am afraid of the aftermath. That's the only thing people should be fearing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Dante said:

Thousands dying everywhere and these aholes still have time to fit this in their hectic, overworked sked. 

From the comments:

Raul Garcia
34 dislikes are the patients waiting to get attended ?

E Lowe
No more like 50 dislikes are from people that actually do their jobs like myself who deliver gowns, scrubs and gloves everyday to hospitals. I don't have time to slack off.

Vera Wallace
What are you insinuating, that they don't do their job, there is A thing called break

E Lowe
@Vera Wallace I dont take a break. Hospitals need ppe and I get it to them asap.

Vera Wallace
@E Lowe God bless you and all heath health workers, am a little bias ,because my daughter also works in the hospital

Chris Hayes
Where's the pandemic? Empty hospital and time for choreography?

12 minutes ago, GG said:

So do your math based on those places with lower density, but more vulnerable population.  NYC has higher infection rates, but much lower death rates - 4% compared to 8%.   The rest of US will probably be closer to Italy & Spain in infections and deaths, which is scary. 

I see nothing to support that conclusion. Are you talking raw numbers? Mortality rate?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, GG said:

more vulnerable population.  NYC has higher infection rates, but much lower death rates - 4% compared to 8%.   The rest of US will probably be closer to Italy & Spain in infections and deaths, which is scary. 

That's not the case...By a long shot.  I have crunched the numbers

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Dante said:

Maybe not but it's just more evidence of deception that's all. Hey man if you chose to believe this I can't blame you. I would never mock you or anyone else for doing so. The media saturation for this is overwhelming and persistent. It's all about perception. I look at the people who are telling me to be afraid and contrast it to what I see and what other people see and say that I have no reason to distrust. This is the only way I can articulate it. If that makes me a nut job, well so be it. 

I know one thing. I''m no more afraid of this than any other flu. I am afraid of the aftermath. That's the only thing people should be fearing.

There's science and there's human behavior.   The science part of this says that there's a highly contagious and deadly disease for which there's no real cure.  You can slow it a bit, but you can't stop it until there's a treatment and vaccine.  Don't think you're insulated because California's climate is helping to slow the speed of the spread.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I see nothing to support that conclusion. Are you talking raw numbers? Mortality rate?

My assumption of the mortality rate if this starts to spread more braodly.  The spread slowed down bigly with the shutdowns, but will likely resume once activity picks up and there's more interpersonal contact.  When that happens, the outlook for US mortality will be grim.  That's why people will need to change a lot of their old habits.

5 minutes ago, Magox said:

That's not the case...By a long shot.  I have crunched the numbers

Did you take the proportion of the US population that has at least 2 of the key contributing factors?  

37 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

Can you link the ballot harvesting cases in California? They don't exist on this website.

See? You are indeed just claiming ignorance even if lead to the trough. If you would have taken a second to scroll down you could click on the state, and California has PAGES of cases!

But then, clicking takes too much effort doesn't it?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Population of the United states is about 327 Million.  Population of New York and New Jersey is about 28 million.

Population of US without High Infection zone is roughly about 300 Million.

149k infections NY

47 K infections NJ

Total infections = 196k

Infections for all 50 states is approximately 420k

Subtract NY and NJ, the rest of the US has about 224k

If you extrapolate the infection rate for NY and NJ and calculate it on a per capita basis, NY and NJ have a X 9 higher ratio....In other words 900% higher infection rate per capita than the rest of the U.S.

And if you were to take out the NY metro area, the numbers become much more daunting than that.

In regards to fatalities it's even worse.

NY has 6200 fatalities

NJ has 1500 fatalities

Total of 7700 fatalities in NY/NJ area

The entire US has 14300 fatalities.

Rest of the country has 6600 fatalities

There are more fatalities in NY and NJ than there are in the entire rest of the country.

Meaning that the mortality rate is significantly lower in the rest of the country than it is in the NY/NJ area.

Those are the facts.

No denying it

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, GG said:

My assumption of the mortality rate if this starts to spread more braodly.  The spread slowed down bigly with the shutdowns, but will likely resume once activity picks up and there's more interpersonal contact.  When that happens, the outlook for US mortality will be grim.  That's why people will need to change a lot of their old habits.

So you think the mortality rate, which is highly flawed right now anyway, is going to quadruple? Why? We certainly have a larger population, but we also have very good capacity to accommodate. Our pace is more comparable to Germany than either Italy or Spain. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Magox said:

Population of the United states is about 327 Million.  Population of New York and New Jersey is about 28 million.

Population of US without High Infection zone is roughly about 300 Million.

149k infections NY

47 K infections NJ

Total infections = 196k

Infections for the other 48 states is approximately 420k

Subtract NY and NJ, the rest of the US has about 224k

If you extrapolate the infection rate for NY and NJ and calculate it on a per capita basis, NY and NJ have a X 9 higher ration....In other words 900% higher infection rate per capita than the rest of the U.S.

And if you were to take out the NY metro area, the numbers become much more daunting than that.

In regards to fatalities it's even worse.

NY has 6200 fatalities

NJ has 1500 fatalities

Total of 7700 fatalities in NY/NJ area

The entire US has 14300 fatalities.

Rest of the country has 6600 fatalities

There are more fatalities in NY and NJ than there are in the entire rest of the country.

Meaning that the mortality rate is significantly lower in the rest of the country than it is in the NY/NJ area.

Those are the facts.

No denying it

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'm not arguing today's stats.  I'm projecting what will happen if this thing spreads across the country and starts hitting areas that are generally older and not as healthy.

11 hours ago, Justice said:

SMDH at the right and left arguing over this pandemic. Step away one sec and you might see that Trump did a horrible job and the left wouldn’t have done any better. 

too ***** funny you are.

i'll tell what is worth shaking your damn head at... you complaining about politics being involved in the discussion and then.... wait for it.... making a political argument.

i swear .....

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GG said:

I'm not arguing today's stats.  I'm projecting what will happen if this thing spreads across the country and starts hitting areas that are generally older and not as healthy.

Well if you were to transport Southern African Americans to New York and they were all huddled up together in the city you'd be closer to being right.   But that isn't going to happen.  And I will go out on a limb to say that won't end up being the case.  Maybe you have a certain particular area such as New Orleans where that could happen but that isn't what you said.  You said the rest of the country will be like Italy and Spain.  Keep in mind, that 900% lesser infection and death rate on a per capita basis was relative to NY and NJ.

In order for it to be like Italy and Spain, then the infection and death rate on a per capita basis for the rest of the country to catch up to those European countries woulld have to increase at about 1700% rate.  That's not going to happen GG.

Edited by Magox
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GG said:

Sounds like your view or model has changed on this?

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

So you think the mortality rate, which is highly flawed right now anyway, is going to quadruple? Why? We certainly have a larger population, but we also have very good capacity to accommodate. Our pace is more comparable to Germany than either Italy or Spain. 

It won't quadruple - USA's rate is up to 3.5% already, as NY is closer to 4.25%.   Our ability to accommodate is not as important as the underlying health & demographics of the population.  That's why Germany is doing better than the suth

1 minute ago, GG said:

It won't quadruple - USA's rate is up to 3.5% already, as NY is closer to 4.25%.   Our ability to accommodate is not as important as the underlying health & demographics of the population.  That's why Germany is doing better than the suth

Did you miss where "with" has become "from"?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TPS said:

Sounds like your view or model has changed on this?

Pushed off by a week.  I optimistically hoped that NYC took Cuomo's advice to heart back on March 13.