The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

20 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

. We need to be looking into best practices to live and function with this virus while the best minds create a vaccine. 

Yes. I’m looking forward to seeing how we do this. The healthcare system can’t exist for long in its current state. 

1 minute ago, Cinga said:

Really good read that I think does a good job exploring the cause, while others are still looking at the symptoms.

http://web.archive.org/web/20200405061401/https://medium.com/@agaiziunas/covid-19-had-us-all-fooled-but-now-we-might-have-finally-found-its-secret-91182386efcb

No offense intended but this was discussed upstream. That is an anonymous poster on an open publication website. He makes a good point about the operation of the virus but we don’t yet know how to counteract it with treatment. Doctors have already observed and been treating this as an oxygen issue. The ventilators are a last resort, which is why once you get to that, your survival rate is very low. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, shoshin said:

That’s an interesting data point and I’m sure you’ve seen the ones that run counter about how many Covid deaths we are missing. I have no doubt that the massive uptick in Covid cases is causing sloppier classification than usual. 

But even *some* sloppiness can’t make this look like the flu. 

here is an interesting chart culminated from data released by the CDC on Apr 3rd. something is wrong with the chart you posted or the two i have posted..

all deaths

EUuP8ANWsAAw2pp?format=png&name=medium

i will say it again... not all things are equal here. things just don't add up. 

Edited by Foxx
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Foxx said:

here is an interesting chart culminated from data released by the CDC on Apr 3rd.

all deaths

My hypothesis is that social distancing and other restrictions have a much greater effect on the flu. Given how short it lingers in the body, the flu would be affected more by distancing and you’d see the drop above. 

Some misdiagnoses could be part of it too. But just look at hospitalizations and how wracked our health care system is right now to see that whether some of the deaths are mislabeled or not, this is super serious and different from a simple flu or pneumonia. 

Edited by shoshin

4 minutes ago, Foxx said:

here is an interesting chart culminated from data released by the CDC on Apr 3rd. something wrong with the chart you posted or the two i have posted..

all deaths

The morbid, Stephen King side of me just whispered, "They're all dead, rotting in their homes right now.  Imagine the smell."

• Haha (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, Foxx said:

except that...

there are reports that deaths from other causes are being lumped into the Coronavirus bin. of which, would not surprise me one bit.

if you want to in/validate the chart you posted give me some statistics on the yearly overall morbidity rates. if that chart is truly representative we should not be seeing things such as the below.

zpjGmv2.jpg

If I am mistaken, then somebody let me know; however, I believe Dr. Birx stated that any death where the patient tested positive for COVID-19 is classified in the COVID-19 death statistics. Not saying it wasn't a contributing factor at all, the primary reason, or something in between. Just saying there is a difference in dying "from" something and dying "with" something.

Not to minimize COVID-19 in any way, but, when this is all said and done, I would like to see the numbers of deaths from other causes during this time frame compared to what we typically see. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, shoshin said:

My hypothesis is that social distancing and other restrictions have a much greater effect on the flu. Given how short it lingers in the body, the flu would be affected more by distancing and you’d see the drop above. 

Some misdiagnoses could be part of it too. But just look at hospitalizations and how wracked our health care system is right now to see that whether some of the deaths are mislabeled or not, this is super serious and different from a simple flu or pneumonia. 

so... are you admitting that your chart is probably in error?

also, i just don't see our health care system being, 'wracked'. again, i am going to need you to supply some support for that statement. the hyperbole from the media regarding our healthcare system being over run is just not true. yes, they may be stressed (and a major reason they are stressed is due to this being a new disease that was previously unknown/created) but over run, no.

44 minutes ago, Foxx said:

except that...

there are reports that deaths from other causes are being lumped into the Coronavirus bin. of which, would not surprise me one bit.

if you want to in/validate the chart you posted give me some statistics on the yearly overall morbidity rates. if that chart is truly representative we should not be seeing things such as the below.

zpjGmv2.jpg

The flipside are the deaths that aren't categorized as Covid-related when the tests aren't done posthumously.  NY EMS is making a lot more cardiac arrest calls than in prior months & years.

Here's a grim story from NYC (courtesy of Dave McBride's post in OTW).  Sounds like NYC numbers will go up if these are counted.

If you die at home from the coronavirus, there’s a good chance you won’t be included in the official death toll, because of a discrepancy in New York City’s reporting process. Update: After WNYC/Gothamist's reporting, the city has reversed its position and will count probable COVID-19 deaths that occur at home.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Foxx said:

also, i just don't see our health care system being, 'wracked'. ...yes, they may be stressed (and a major reason they are stressed is due to this being a new disease that was previously unknown/created) but over run, no.

I wonder where you live or if you know anyone in health care. If you live in one of the big cities, it’s a clusterF right now. Not “stressed.” Not just NYC. 

This isn’t media hyperbole on this point. The healthcare system is straining mightily under just this, while kicking the can down the road on all the other patients who need help. 

Do you agree? Or are you still wanting Twitter videos like in the other thread you started?

6 minutes ago, GG said:

The flipside are the deaths that aren't categorized as Covid-related when the tests aren't done posthumously.  NY EMS is making a lot more cardiac arrest calls than in prior months & years.

Here's a grim story from NYC (courtesy of Dave McBride's post in OTW).  Sounds like NYC numbers will go up if these are counted.

I made this point earlier. There is some sloppy counting being done I’m sure but it’s hard to know which way it balances out. Either way, there are a lot of people dying from this in a blink compared to any cause, but especially the flu. 

12 minutes ago, GG said:

from the article:

Update: After WNYC/Gothamist's reporting, the city has reversed its position and will count probable COVID-19 deaths that occur at home.

6 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I wonder where you live or if you know anyone in health care. If you live in one of the big cities, it’s a clusterF right now. Not “stressed.” Not just NYC. 

This isn’t media hyperbole on this point. The healthcare system is straining mightily under just this, while kicking the can down the road on all the other patients who need help. 

Do you agree? Or are you still wanting Twitter videos like in the other thread you started?

I made this point earlier. There is some sloppy counting being done I’m sure but it’s hard to know which way it balances out. Either way, there are a lot of people dying from this in a blink compared to any cause, but especially the flu. 

again, i asked you to provide substantiation for your claims here. i'm sure that there are some hospitals that are highly stressed but the majority are not.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, shoshin said:

1) Maybe you should take a break from this before you stress yourself into a heart attack, because, apparently there will be no healthcare professionals to help you.

2) Can anyone try to engage in a discussion about COVID-19 without you accusing them of trying to compare it with the flu?

• Like (+1) 1

We need to shut it all down. All of it. And we better do it quickly and willfully before the military is on our streets. 

If I were president I would demand a home-

testing kit be made and delivered to every household. We need to find out who has this thing. Then we need to isolate them all. Anything short of that is a failure. 

1 minute ago, Justice said:

We need to shut it all down. All of it. And we better do it quickly and willfully before the military is on our streets. 

If I were president I would demand a home-

testing kit be made and delivered to every household. We need to find out who has this thing. Then we need to isolate them all. Anything short of that is a failure. 

It is shut down, as much as you’re going to get without something extreme. And if you go extreme in how you’re enforcing the lockdown this deep into it, with the numbers showing what we now all can see, you won’t get people to comply for long if at all. 

A large chunk of Americans have willingly given up their freedom for a month just to help the cause — they did it because their country asked them too. But that won’t last. 

The better the weather gets, the more people will realize that voluntary house arrest without having committed a crime is anathema to all we stand for. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

GERMANY:

As of Wednesday at 10am, Germany had more than 107,600 confirmed coronavirus cases, according to Johns Hopkins University figures.

They differ slightly from Robert Koch Institute (RKI) figures which only take into account electronically transmitted figures from Germany’s states and are updated once a day.

The actual number of Covid-19 cases is thought to be higher. Depending on an individual state’s policies, many other possible cases may not have been tested because they show only mild symptoms or have not been in contact with a known case.

There have also been more than 2,000 deaths, with increasingly more cases being reported in old people’s homes. More than 38,200 people are reported to have fully recovered.

According to RKI chief Wieler, the so-called reproduction rate of infections stood at around 1.3 on Wednesday April 8th. This number indicates how many more people a person with coronavirus infects on average. The goal in Germany is to keep the value below 1.0.

Stay tuned.

ITALY: “Infections continue to slow as Italy records 604 more coronavirus deaths.

The number of patients in intensive care also decreased by 106 to 3.792 on Tuesday, and 1.555 patients have recovered from the virus in 24 hours, with recoveries rising to a total of over 24,000.

There were 604 new fatalities reported.

In total, 17,127 lives have now been lost to the virus in Italy, and there have been 135.586 cases in total since the outbrk began, according to official figures.

SPAIN: Spain’s daily coronavirus death toll rises again. ” The number of new infections in Spain grew to 146,690, up from 140,510, it added. The number of new infections rose by 4.4 percent to 146,690, the health ministry said, as Spain has ramped up its testing for the disease. The number of daily deaths, which peaked on Thursday at 950, rose for the first time on Tuesday after falling for four straight days. But the rate of increase in both deaths and new infections on Wednesday was largely in line with that recorded the previous day, and half of what was recorded just a week ago.”

FRANCE: ” French health authorities run daily briefings and the figures from Tuesday night make for difficult reading – the death toll now stands at 10,328, up from 4,503 a week ago. Between Monday and Tuesday 607 patients died in hospital and 7,131 people are seriously ill in intensive care.”

SWEDEN:

A total of 687 people have died with the coronavirus in Sweden, according to the Public Health Agency’s latest update (presented at 2pm), and there have been 8,419 confirmed cases so far. A total of 678 people have so far been in intensive care, and around 469 patients are currently in intensive care. Sweden is currently seeing an average of around 45 deaths a day, said state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell.

Tegnell however told the press conference that there are signs that Sweden, or particularly Stockholm, may have reached “more of a plateau situation than before”. “But we are starting to see an increase in other parts of the country,” he said.

The department for thoracic surgery at Linköping University Hospital in Sweden tested all of its staff, around 50, for the coronavirus and found that around five to ten tested positive without obvious symptoms or with only very mild symptoms, such as a light headache or a slightly blocked nose.

A Public Health Agency survey is currently under way to investigate how many people in society may be carrying the coronavirus. But asked about the example from Linköping University Hospital, the agency’s analyst Karin Tegmark Wisell told Swedish radio: “This underlines that paying attention to symptoms is not enough, but you have to observe social distancing to as great an extent as possible.”

Yes. Lack of symptoms is great for you, but deadly for others.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, meazza said:

Though it doesn’t surprise me that models would be inaccurate based on the constantly changing inputs, it should scare you that places that has this under control like Hong Kong and Singapore are experiencing third waves.

Barring a vaccine or natural immunity, we are all going to get it.  Because it can live for a while on things like metal, it only takes one person to continually spread this virus.  What are we going to do? Lock the whole world down again and again and again? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

….FWIW...…….

Biden adviser, ObamaCare architect Zeke Emanuel says US should 'prepare' for coronavirus measures to last 18 months

By Tyler Olson | Fox News

Dr. Zeke Emanuel, an adviser to Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden on the coronavirus, said this week that Americans could be dealing with strict social distancing measures to combat the coronavirus for 18 months and that the U.S. "will not be able to return to normalcy until we find a vaccine or effective medications."

Emanuel, one of the architects of the Affordable Care Act, also known as ObamaCare, is on the Biden campaign's "Public Health Advisory Committee," which is set up to "provide science-based, expert advice regarding steps the campaign should take to minimize health risks for the candidate, staff, and supporters," according to a March press release.

His comments are partially consistent with statements from the Trump administration's medical advisors and federal government documents on the pandemic. But they seem to paint a more grim picture of the country's ability to roll back shutdowns of businesses and public life in general that are aimed at reducing the spread of the virus, which causes the disease known as COVID-19.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-obamacare-architect-zeke-emanuel-says-u-s-should-prepare-ourselves-for-coronavirus-social-distancing-to-last-18-months

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

2) Can anyone try to engage in a discussion about COVID-19 without you accusing them of trying to compare it with the flu?

That was the topic he was addressing with his interesting chart about the pneumonia/flu cases dropping, so that's why it was still being discussed.

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

….FWIW...…….

Biden adviser, ObamaCare architect Zeke Emanuel says US should 'prepare' for coronavirus measures to last 18 months

By Tyler Olson | Fox News

Dr. Zeke Emanuel, an adviser to Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden on the coronavirus, said this week that Americans could be dealing with strict social distancing measures to combat the coronavirus for 18 months and that the U.S. "will not be able to return to normalcy until we find a vaccine or effective medications."

Emanuel, one of the architects of the Affordable Care Act, also known as ObamaCare, is on the Biden campaign's "Public Health Advisory Committee," which is set up to "provide science-based, expert advice regarding steps the campaign should take to minimize health risks for the candidate, staff, and supporters," according to a March press release.

His comments are partially consistent with statements from the Trump administration's medical advisors and federal government documents on the pandemic. But they seem to paint a more grim picture of the country's ability to roll back shutdowns of businesses and public life in general that are aimed at reducing the spread of the virus, which causes the disease known as COVID-19.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-obamacare-architect-zeke-emanuel-says-u-s-should-prepare-ourselves-for-coronavirus-social-distancing-to-last-18-months

Yea since orangemanbad is kind of stale, lets try to scare the living ***** out of the sheeple, that should work!!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1