The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 hour ago, GG said:

That's why you have to look at what he meant with his childish comments.  He's taking about light penetrating deeper into the skin.

He doesn't pull things out of thin air.  He hears a few snippets from the experts, then jumbles the topic in the PC. 

I don't buy this.

He's literally making things up, on the spot, as they come into his head. 

I assure you no medical expert has proposed the idea of disinfecting the inside of someone's lungs, or using ultraviolet light on the inside of someone's body to kill a virus.

What Trump said was sheer stupidity. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I like your takes (particularly on the football side of things); however, I think you are stretching this into something it really isn't.

I hope I'm wrong that some would actually ingest disinfectant and such, but in a crisis like this it is incumbent on the president to measure his words.  And throwing half baked ideas out there with no scientific validity is not what we need right now. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Tiberius said:

That's right, and he is hiding in the WH oh so desperate to win, so he can avoid conviction. Now you are getting it. 

Statute of limitations runs out if he wins, though. Trump and you guys, have to win to keep him out of jail. That's why we need to keep him talking, he's killing himself up there! Love it! 

Ahhh, it's nice for little boys to dream. Although, you really should have higher aspirations. Like, say, having the ability to differentiate internal reality from external reality and, maybe,  putting together coherent thoughts...

Just now, Scraps said:

You're one of the Trumptards who thinks this should be investigated, not me.

I am a Trumptard? ROTFLMAO Yup, sure. You clearly have not been reading my stance on this whole shutdown.

I, unlike many others here, am not so closed minded as to dismiss an idea merely because President Trump suggested scientists should look into it. ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

??

WASHINGTON — The manufacturer of Lysol, a disinfectant spray and cleaning product, issued a statement warning against any internal use after President Donald Trump suggested that people could get an "injection" of "the disinfectant that knocks (coronavirus) out in a minute."

"As a global leader in health and hygiene products, we must be clear that under no circumstance should our disinfectant products be administered into the human body (through injection, ingestion or any other route)," a spokesperson for Reckitt Benckiser, the United Kingdom-based owner of Lysol, said in a statement to NBC News.

"As with all products, our disinfectant and hygiene products should only be used as intended and in line with usage guidelines. Please read the label and safety information," the statement continued, adding that the company believes it has a "responsibility in providing consumers with access to accurate, up-to-date information as advised by leading public health experts."

Lysol maker warns against internal use of disinfectants after Trump comments

A spokesperson for the cleaning product company said it had a responsibility to give accurate information to the public.
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, oldmanfan said:

I hope I'm wrong that some would actually ingest disinfectant and such, but in a crisis like this it is incumbent on the president to measure his words.  And throwing half baked ideas out there with no scientific validity is not what we need right now. 

Let's assume you are correct.  Can we revisit this after the weekend....and see how many people die from drinking bleach?  That should be a pretty easy tally.  I'll see you on Monday.

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I am a Trumptard? ROTFLMAO Yup, sure. You clearly have not been reading my stance on this whole shutdown.

I, unlike many others here, am not so closed minded as to dismiss an idea merely because President Trump suggested scientists should look into it. ?

Bull *****! Don't believe this at all. Buffalo Gal is a Trump propaganda machine 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Let's assume you are correct.  Can we revisit this after the weekend....and see how many people die from drinking bleach?  That should be a pretty easy tally.  I'll see you on Monday.

I hope the answer will be zero.  Can you not agree though that throwing out ideas like this do nothing to help and are irresponsible?

Just had this discussion with someone on Twitter.....sadly it seems facts don't matter these days

resolution is bad but basically the reply to me was "OK Boomer" which i replied that i'd be willing to discuss using facts and not calling names.

twitter1.png.3f4c36829b53cfcb22148d8cf6e254ba.pngtwitter.png.eb39dbf35f5d01758d57ec6b6578661d.png

Edited by The Poojer
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Your right, I haven't read your stance on the shutdown.  Your second paragraph says enough.

Just now, The Poojer said:

Just had this discussion with someone on Twitter.....sadly it seems facts don't matter these days

twitter1.png.3f4c36829b53cfcb22148d8cf6e254ba.pngtwitter.png.eb39dbf35f5d01758d57ec6b6578661d.png

I am hoping you are not Natasha.
(Although I always loved that name. My father wanted to name me Natasha. Sadly, my mother won that argument.)

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Ahhh, it's nice for little boys to dream. Although, you really should have higher aspirations. Like, say, having the ability to differentiate internal reality from external reality and, maybe,  putting together coherent thoughts...

What's not reality? That Trump paid a sex provider hush money? 

You really thinks that's fantasy, right? 

How many people did Hillary murder? 

29 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

I saw Cohen was sent home to do his time with in-home confinement.  How does that differ from all the rest of us?  

We should all get ‘pay it forward’ credit toward future prison sentences

I wasn't crazy about the Cohen prosecution.  I personally believe that if you allowed limitless powers of surveillance and investigation into all the creatures in Washington, 75-90% end up in cells.  Manafort should be released as well. 

All I know is you're my contact if I end up in the slammer and need the hooch.  You owe me that much. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Everyone says something wrong sometimes (you should have stopped there) but it is the frequency with which the press and his detractors belabor the times when  Trump says incorrect things and doesn’t give a darn about the actual news., the fact that He will never admit to being wrong about anything (true) (which it truly unique compared with the company you mentioned (not so true) and the fact that the is POTUS and everything a President says is scrutinized is what gets him in trouble. This happens to every President but it is much more pronounced with Trump because he’s not just disliked by his detractors, he’s despised and they wanted him gone on election night 2016  and every day since  

Here is what I think is more like the truth ^^^^^.

I will definitely agree that Trump is probably the worst communicator I’ve ever seen in a President. He makes his own troubles. It is his biggest flaw and the biggest issue that holds him back from easy re-election.

3 minutes ago, Scraps said:

So you Trumptards knew the makers of Lysol would have to warn people not to inject Lysol into people? ?

Did they say not to huff it?  

Thats important to me.

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

There are chemotherapies that use toxic drugs that are encapsulated inside liposomes which are conjugated/tethered to an antibody that will target the drug payload to specific tissues.  They inject this into people.  Did Trump have this in mind when he made his comment?  Very unlikely, but it's not unheard of to inject toxic compounds into human beings in this way and something similar to this strategy could very well be under consideration by real, actual scientists.

I would assume that brainstorming sessions are not necessarily uncommon in the scientific world. Also, accidental discoveries do happen. After all we ended up with a blue diamond shaped blood pressure pill that became one of the most popular drugs ever for other reasons. Swallowing bleach certainly doesn't seem like the thing to do but there are other ways like you stated above, and even something as simple as possibly breathing it in. I know I've breathed in bleach just by using it for cleaning. I don't remember any side affects and there may very well be some benefits. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I know! I know! Let's do nothing and ask no questions so more people can die!! <_<

When you watched the clip, the guy from homeland security said, "we are looking into it" and "we will look into it." As scientists, no stone can be left unturned when searching for a cure to a disease.

I am quite sure some of the doctors on this board can tell you about things that they layperson would consider poison when ingested, that are used in diluted/different formulas for XYZ in the medical treatments. Heck, radioactive iodine, radioactive therapy for cancer, chemo drugs are poison - and I am just some schlump thinking about it - yet all are used on the human body to "cure" some diseases.  

Maybe you all would like to think outside the box for ways to combat this virus instead of acting like our press and dismissing everything President Trump says out of hand, simply because President Trump has said them.

"We are looking into it" translates to, this idea is idiotic, but the President said it and I don't want to contradict him and risk getting fired, so I'll go with, "we're looking into it". 

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

And they will tell him it is completely absurd.   Meanwhile, you have citizens who are not trained in science and medicine listening to this thinking there may be some validity because the president said so.  It is irresponsible, dangerous, and stupid.

PREACH! But don't think she will listen or acquiesce in her devotion to dr don the con and whatever drivel he decides to spew. He could sell her swamp land in the desert and she'd buy it. And she did, And does. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I am hoping you are not Natasha.
(Although I always loved that name. My father wanted to name me Natasha. Sadly, my mother won that argument.)

Aww come on!   You are acknowledging your love for the name of every Russian  spy in every movie ever, and you still maintain you're not in the CIA??? In Hansel and Gretel, this would be a bread crumb!

WE'RE NOT STUPID!

• Haha (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Let it go. Concentrate on folding the sheets.

3 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

I would assume that brainstorming sessions are not necessarily uncommon in the scientific world. Also, accidental discoveries do happen. After all we ended up with a blue diamond shaped blood pressure pill that became one of the most popular drugs ever for other reasons. Swallowing bleach certainly doesn't seem like the thing to do but there are other ways like you stated above, and even something as simple as possibly breathing it in. I know I've breathed in bleach just by using it for cleaning. I don't remember any side affects and there may very well be some benefits. 

From the CDC:

Immediate signs and symptoms of chlorine exposure

• During or immediately after exposure to dangerous concentrations of chlorine, the following signs and symptoms may develop:
    • Blurred vision
    • Burning pain, redness, and blisters on the skin if exposed to gas. Skin injuries similar to frostbite can occur if it is exposed to liquid chlorine
    • Burning sensation in the nose, throat, and eyes
    • Coughing
    • Chest tightness
    • Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath. Thesemay appear immediately if high concentrations of chlorine gas are inhaled, or they may be delayed if low concentrations of chlorine gas are inhaled.
    • Fluid in the lungs (pulmonary edema) that may be delayed for a few hours
    • Nausea and vomiting
    • Watery eyes
    • Wheezing

I say again, science and medicine matter.  Science and medicine work.

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

He asked an uninformed question in an inarticulate way that ended up coming off as a stupid question. No argument at all. However, it was the media that turned it into a "suggestion" or "idea" that you could or should literally inject bleach to kill the virus. 

4 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I wasn't crazy about the Cohen prosecution.  I personally believe that if you allowed limitless powers of surveillance and investigation into all the creatures in Washington, 75-90% end up in cells.  Manafort should be released as well. 

All I know is you're my contact if I end up in the slammer and need the hooch.  You owe me that much. 

Basically you just want Trump and his buddies to be above the law 

2 minutes ago, ~Kostabi~ said:

PREACH! But don't think she will listen or acquiesce in her devotion to dr don the con and whatever drivel he decides to spew. He could sell her swamp land in the desert and she'd buy it. And she did, And does. 

Congratulations, you just made the meathead list.

On 4/24/2020 at 8:16 AM, SoCal Deek said:

I'm sure you're right.  We never want to give 'false hope' to the people.  That is unless we base our entire political campaign on "Hope and Change" like the last circus clown did.  Right, Old Man?

FALSE being the operative word. More like impossible but lets throw it out there anyway 

Edited by ~Kostabi~
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

We have a serious bleach addition problem in my family, too.  Developed last night.  Empty bleach bottles strewn about this morning.  I found my cousin curled up in a corner wrapped in a Keep America Great flag with two empty bleach bottles next to him.  This, everyone, is the status quo that should be preserved. 

If your cousin lives in the northeast, it sounds like he got into a particularly nasty mix called Procol Harum.  It's comes out of Thailand, through Mexico and is distributed out of North Philly by the Corn Pop Kids.   

• Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

If any regular poster here made such stupid comments as Trumps disinfecting ideas from yesterday’s press conference, you folks would never let that person live it down.

If it were me, there would be at least a dozen posts about cannabis rotting my brain.  Go ahead though and keep making excuses for him. If anyone here doubted the Trump cult accusations, these defenses should erase those doubts

Of course -- Bob is, again, wrong.

1) Trump was asking the doctor, not telling people to inject anything. 

2) He never said drink bleach, or inject bleach. 

But when you're Bob, and you're a slave to the media's word (despite them lying to you for years and years) -- you get it all wrong. I mean, it not as if there aren't entire treatment remedies based around injecting poison into the body to treat it (chemo/radiation), and UV treatment is an actual thing in medicine for certain conditions as well. Note Cooper's contortion as the doctor he called on to dunk on Trump admits it was a good question: 

But dishonest people -- or those like Gene who haven't learned their lesson about the media yet -- move right from being embarrassed over the "sun" story, to now this. Why? Because TDS prevents one from thinking logically. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 4/24/2020 at 9:05 AM, westside2 said:

Congratulations, you just made the meathead list.

I love how you have adopted sections list idea not an original thought in your brain 

Edited by ~Kostabi~

19 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Yes you do.  But there are some who hang on his every word.  Which is why what was said yesterday was completely irresponsible and dangerous.  He specifically said we should look into injecting disinfectants.  

I gather you're a fan of the president.  Then maybe you should tell him words matter, and that he needs to choose them more carefully.

I am not a “fan” of Presidents, Parties, or any politician at all for that matter.

I abhor “the great man” theory of history.

I support actions or policies that align with maximizing human freedom, and generally believe that the state is immoral and illegitimate.

I am simply able to separate my personal philosophies from the realities of the political landscape, and am able to be objective.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

He asked an uninformed question in an inarticulate way that ended up coming off as a stupid question. No argument at all. However, it was the media that turned it into a "suggestion" or "idea" that you could or should literally inject bleach to kill the virus. 

It was both inarticulate and dumb.  And then the media followed up.  Because that is the media's job.  Somebody had to make sure it was clarified that people should not construe those comments to mean that folks should go out and use disinfectants (bleach being an example).  

5 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I think you live in a world where you interpret external reality to fit your own psychological needs. We all do it to some degreee; however, people like you do it to such an extreme that external and internal reality eventually become blurred...

Just now, TakeYouToTasker said:

I am not a “fan” of Presidents, Parties, or any politician at all for that matter.

I abhor “the great man” theory of history.

I support actions or policies that align with maximizing human freedom, and generally believe that the state is immoral and illegitimate.

I am simply able to separate my personal philosophies from the realities of the political landscape, and am able to be objective.

I feel the same.  Which is why I say the comments yesterday were irresponsible.