The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 hour ago, The Poojer said:

couple of questions that may have been answered already.....

why is NYC area so hard hit as opposed to other metro centers like LA, Chicago, Boston and DC, and i get the westward creep, but Boston and especially DC should be on par with NYC, as well as Philly, but Philly is higher than the others mentioned other than NYC

How did the USS Roosevelt get the virus when the area they stopped at 15 days prior to first diagnosis had virtually no cases

Nashville is a major destination city, and one that refused to shut down but eventually gave in, and this right after major tornado destruction that brought thousands of people to the area to help the relief efforts.  Why weren't they more affected?  I was there 2 days after the tornadoes and trust me, my eyes were totally focused on the post 14 day mark on my calendar as were the 15 other friends i was with, not s single whiff of any symptoms from us or any of our family members.

Just curious

These are good questions that haven't been answered satisfactorily.  That's why they need to be asked over and over until the glaring holes in the answers are addressed.

Yes, NYC is the most dense city.  Yes, NYC largely relies on mass transit. 

But if you look deeper beyond the surface answers, you'll see why things don't add up.

If density was the issue, you'd see a more uniform spread of the infections across the city.  But that's not the case.  The infections and deaths are concentrated in certain neighborhoods within boros, yet the most densely packed Manhattan is the least affected.  The least dense Staten Island had a brief spurt in infections & deaths.

Why did other cities that rely on mass transit didn't have the same spikes?  SF is certainly not a sprawling suburbia full of car commuters.  Chicago?  Philly?  Why did the serious spread stop at the northern NJ commuter counties and didn't migrate south and affect the Philly metro?

Are NYC residents less healthy?  Not by a long shot.  NY life expectancy is top 5 in the US.

I've been harping on a possibly different strain that hit NYC vs the others.  The anecdotal evidence would back it up.   If the theory that the NY infections came from the Europe, that could be the deadly variant that's hit SW Europe.   Remember that the top 5 countries for mortality account for 75% of all Wuhan deaths (not counting China in the fiasco they caused).  That strongly indicates that there's a more potent version of this thing that's traveling around, but that version doesn't spread as easily as the more mild variants.

Again, anecdotally, it does appear that the virus has been far more prevalent in the US.  I know a lot of people who aren't counted in the rolls, but definitely have the digestive tract version of this thing.   They key is that you don't get the bastard that hits the respiratory system.

• Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, oldmanfan said:

It was both inarticulate and dumb.  And then the media followed up.  Because that is the media's job.  Somebody had to make sure it was clarified that people should not construe those comments to mean that folks should go out and use disinfectants (bleach being an example).  

I think it might just work for you.

It was both inarticulate and dumb.  And then the media followed up.  Because that is the media's job.  Somebody had to make sure it was clarified that people should not construe those comments to mean that folks should go out and use disinfectants (bleach being an example).  

Incorrect. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

He asked an uninformed question in an inarticulate way that ended up coming off as a stupid question. No argument at all. However, it was the media that turned it into a "suggestion" or "idea" that you could or should literally inject bleach to kill the virus. 

there is so much spin in this post I'm dizzy. 

32 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I sit on an FDA panel, although it is a devices panel and not drug related.  As one who sits on an FDA panel, and as one who has conducted research and been a part of clinical trials for almost 40 years, I hope I can shed some light here.  I would say based on the information I have seen thus far is that none of the studies that have been touted in the lay press are proof, either in a positive or negative sense, for this drug.  All of these studies are compromised by have low numbers , none of them from what I have seen match control and experimental populations,. it is not clear if dosages used are the same or not between groups. For example, in the study showing no benefit I do not know if the same severity of patients were looked at in each arm , nor do I know if there were other significant differences between groups.

This is precisely why large and formal studies need to be done before making any conclusions.  In the interim, doctors are always free to prescribe medicines off-label.  In this case of this med, they can do so but they should make it clear there is no real data to say the drug will help, and they are obligated to explain there are significant side effects including the risk of cardiac complications as well as the potential for stroke in some groups.

Again, science matters. Science works. 

I don't know of anyone here at PPP who thinks anything differently than this. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have no idea where you're going with this.  I look at this from the point of view as a scientists and clinician.  If you want to throw around insults go somewhere else.

You hypocrite. Only thing your throwing around is BS.

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Incorrect. 

Absolutely correct.  The job of the media is to hold our representatives accountable for their words and action.  I say that regardless of political affiliation as I am registered as an Independent.

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

I don't know of anyone here at PPP who thinks anything differently than this. 

Good, 

There is a reason a warning already exists on bleach labels to not put it on your skin or to take it internally. The same reason why there is a warning on hair dryers not use it while taking a bath or a shower.

You can't fix stupid.

If anyone walks away from what Trump actually said and injects bleach, then that is on them. I have never been a fan of blaming obviously poor personal decisions on others.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Absolutely correct.  The job of the media is to hold our representatives accountable for their words and action. 

They don't though. And haven't once. 

And what today's conniption fit is about is a media distortion not fact based. You're wrong. 

All the way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I don't buy this.

He's literally making things up, on the spot, as they come into his head. 

I assure you no medical expert has proposed the idea of disinfecting the inside of someone's lungs, or using ultraviolet light on the inside of someone's body to kill a virus.

What Trump said was sheer stupidity. 

Not by a long shot.  Trump doesn't make things up on the spot.   But he has a special knack of mangling whatever was the last thing he heard from his advisors.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

There is a reason a warning already exists on bleach labels to not put it on your skin or to take it internally. The same reason why there is a warning on hair dryers not use it while taking a bath or a shower.

You can't fix stupid.

If anyone walks away from what Trump actually said and injects bleach, then that is on them. I have never been a fan of blaming obviously poor personal decisions on others.

Is chemotherapy not injecting poison into the body to fight a disease? Do doctors recommend that every day in this country? How many people need to be told not to drink ingredients of chemo? 

You're right, you can't fix stupid -- and everyone outraged about this is irredeemably stupid and/or not paying attention. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

21 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I am hoping you are not Natasha.
(Although I always loved that name. My father wanted to name me Natasha. Sadly, my mother won that argument.)

Yes, Buffalo_Gal has a much better ring to it.

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Absolutely correct.  The job of the media is to hold our representatives accountable for their words and action.  I say that regardless of political affiliation as I am registered as an Independent.

Good, 

I'm not sure I disagree with you, though I'd suggest the job of the media is to report facts in a consistent, unbiased and non-partisan fashion.  On top of that, I believe the media reporting an issue as fact should refrain from characterizations, implications and opinions.  

I think the media as a whole fails, epically in many situations, conflates op-eds with fact-based reporting, and as a result, the credibility of the source comes into question. They should be held accountable as well.  

10 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Is chemotherapy not injecting poison into the body to fight a disease? Do doctors recommend that every day in this country? How many people need to be told not to drink ingredients of chemo? 

You're right, you can't fix stupid -- and everyone outraged about this is irredeemably stupid and/or not paying attention. 

I already pointed that out. Others pointed out other poison-cures. I also tried posting the exact text. The TDS  addled are simply not having it. They want a narrative, not the truth. If President Trump asks scientists to look into a treatment, it is immediately crazy, simply because President Trump said it (even with the "it may work, it may not" caveat).

Got the Jon Karl was the one that mentioned bleach, too. They really do not want the truth.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GG said:

Not by a long shot.  Trump doesn't make things up on the spot.   But he has a special knack of mangling whatever was the last thing he heard from his advisors.

I hope you don't truly believe this. 

The lengths you go to excuse his stupidity is astounding. 

He "mangles" things because he's dumb.

Edited by jrober38

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I already pointed that out. Others pointed out other poison-cures. I also tried posting the exact text. The TDS  addled are simply not having it. They want a narrative, not the truth. If President Trump asks scientists to look into a treatment, it is immediately crazy, simply because President Trump said it (even with the "it may work, it may not" caveat).

:beer: apologies, I couldn't make it through the full five pages this morning. The romper room was too much. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Except no one is doing this or even thinking about it ...except perhaps a liberal. 

IT"S A JOKE lol and you think I"M triggered? I think this forum is hilarious its like shooting fish in a barrel

• Like (+1) 3