The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

14 minutes ago, ALF said:

Whoever was doing the modeling was way off for the US . The shutdown brought the projections way down , that is good.  

Because for some reason hysteria sells and if you’re trying to be level headed you’re accused of being a denier.  Trump, though he does it in his own grating way, tries to help people remain as calm as is possible.  

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

(Shrug) But then again, Sweden is doing okay without it. 

Sweden has a much lower amount of travelers as opposed to New York.

Simply looking at the math, on an average day I come across over 100 people which now is down to close to zero.  Just by my actions alone, the virus should spread less. 

Just now, Buffalo_Gal said:

There are many more deaths, addictions, and divorces to come. Job loss and bankruptcy will lead to that. 

I’m not contradicting that point but to say that the distancing doesn’t reduce death given that nyc and Lombardi have 4 times the amount of deaths during the same period.  Same thing with France iirc.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, meazza said:

I’m not contradicting that point but to say that the distancing doesn’t reduce death given that nyc and Lombardi have 4 times the amount of deaths during the same period.  Same thing with France iirc.

Social distancing seems to have done a lot more than slow down the spread of COVID-19.

As I have said before, the postmortem on this will be interesting. Was this Sophie's Choice? Or was it exactly what needed to be done?   Because this will happen again (unless people stop messing with bio-weapons), I hope those reports are more honest than political (hahaha, but I can dream).

13 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Social distancing seems to have done a lot more than slow down the spread of COVID-19.

As I have said before, the postmortem on this will be interesting. Was this Sophie's Choice? Or was it exactly what needed to be done?   Because this will happen again (unless people stop messing with bio-weapons), I hope those reports are more honest than political (hahaha, but I can dream).

I think there's going to be a lot more resistance to shutting down the economy and forcing people to stay at home, if they try to do it again.

I still believe there will be a major riot somewhere if these stay-at-home orders are not starting to be significantly loosened by June.

1 hour ago, Koko78 said:

I think there's going to be a lot more resistance to shutting down the economy and forcing people to stay at home, if they try to do it again.

I still believe there will be a major riot somewhere if these stay-at-home orders are not starting to be significantly loosened by June.

Pence said something about the country being close to normal by Memorial Day a few days back (not at a presser, it was an interview).  While things are still fluid, that would be May 25th.  I think people are gonna get antsy for Mother's Day (May 10th), but to be truthful, I am surprised at how docile the general populous has been on lock down. I expected more than protests a few weeks ago. ?‍♂️

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

21 minutes ago, ALF said:

Whoever was doing the modeling was way off for the US . The shutdown brought the projections way down , that is good.  

But we cannot stay shut down for much longer; certainly not as long as many of these politicians seem to want. From Cuomo saying deaths are going down , but not quickly enough ( number of deaths wasn’t  a criteria) to Poloncarz saying we haven’t tested people from enough areas in Erie County , they just throw around vague statements. No one seems able to admit that cases are going to go up as more people are tested, as well as when things reopen. The goal simply cannot be that no one anywhere ever gets Coronavirus again. It’s not remotely realistic. It seems that Politicians and therefore a sizable portion of the public at large keep focusing on “ when it’s safe”, and that’s misleading. Cuomo is already signaling that November isn’t going to be safe enough for voters to go to the polls. They talk of avoiding a “ second wave” , which is probably inevitable along with a third wave etc. No one is going to be “ safe “ from contracting Coronavirus without a vaccine, which is a long way off if it happens at all. Are Pols paralyzed by fear of public backlash because they’ve misled the public ? They’ve created an expectation of being “ protected” and “safe” from a virus that isn’t going away when Governors admit they cannot prolong reopening any longer. 

3 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

...everywhere......as more and more "studies" come out and major dichotomies among them albeit sample size, rush to judgment with insufficient data, pent up "cabin fever" wins out.....the asymptomatic numbers begin to predominate risk considerations orchestrating, whether accurate or not, that this is just "another flu type season"......I'm clueless as to how you reverse that type of populous thinking.......

31 minutes ago, meazza said:

How anyone can say that social distancing and quarantine doesn’t reduce death is illogical.  

It may not ultimately reduce death, but it most likely delays death. We need to admit the fact that people are going to continue to die of or with CoVid 19. Denying it is illogical. 

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It may not ultimately reduce death, but it most likely delays death. We need to admit the fact that people are going to continue to die of or with CoVid 19. Denying it is illogical. 

It delays death in the sense that it gives scientists and medical experts time to come up with some proven therapeutics.  It also allows businesses to adapt to reduce the risk of transmission.

I’ve been seeing a lot of articles about the mistakes made during Spanish flu.  Everyone seems to glance over the fact that you will surely have incredible rates of death when technologies and research doesn’t exist at the same level as now and millions of people were literally spending all their time cramped up in trenches.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Pence said something about the country being close to normal by Memorial Day a few days back (not at a presser, it was an interview).  While things are still fluid, that would be May 25th.  I think people are gonna get antsy for Mother's Day (May 10th), but too be truthful, I am surprised at how docile the general populous has been on lock down. I expected more than protests a few weeks ago. ?‍♂️

...Pence is FAR better as the administration's steadying hand with a calm voice of reason IMO.....Trump in the pressers gets overbearing with his inept press combat....leave them to VP Pence, Birx, Fauchi, the SG as well as heads of CDC , NIH et al to restore credibility.....strip the fake news gambit of their ammo.....

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, shoshin said:

You answered a rhetorical question.

This is a relevant thread to the news and could be pretty good without the message board flexing and bullying. Every morning it tends to start out strong and then goes off a cliff in a few hours.

There's a reason for that. And the blame lies at the feet of a handful of posters with multiple accounts who feel it's their duty to troll. Mind you, I have no issue with posters who disagree (even wildly) with myself when they also show a willingness to engage honestly and openly. It's the drive by trolls who do the damage to the conversational flow in this thread and many others. 

That leaves two options when they start their morning romper room nuttiness: engage and embarrass, or ignore. Most days I lean towards the latter -- but others... We're at war, right this very moment. It's not a war with bullets, but information. And sometimes (not every time) people need to stand up and call out the disinformation for what it is, lest more people fall under its spell. 

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

There's a reason for that. And the blame lies at the feet of a handful of posters with multiple accounts who feel it's their duty to troll. Mind you, I have no issue with posters who disagree (even wildly) with myself when they also show a willingness to engage honestly and openly. It's the drive by trolls who do the damage to the conversational flow in this thread and many others. 

That leaves two options when they start their morning romper room nuttiness: engage and embarrass, or ignore. Most days I lean towards the latter -- but others... We're at war, right this very moment. It's not a war with bullets, but information. And sometimes (not every time) people need to stand up and call out the disinformation for what it is, lest more people fall under its spell. 

you aren’t at war.  You are a weird loser on the internet who acts like posting on a forum is war.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Case in point. Soshin (beyond the troll above) -- Adam Schiff is a lunatic and a proven enemy of this country and its rule of law. Yet he still gets a platform to spread this kind of vile bullshite. And (some) here cheer him on because they're either too dishonest about their partisan bent, or completely under the spell of the "Russia" narrative which, as has been proven, was complete fiction. 

***** gross. 

If Burbank had any sense, it'd had run him out of town when Buck was arrested. But nope... he'll get re-elected in a walk, and then run an embarrassing campaign for president in 2024 (unless by some miracle, he's in bracelets before then). 

Edited by Deranged Rhino
  • Thank you (+1) 5

14 minutes ago, meazza said:

It delays death in the sense that it gives scientists and medical experts time to come up with some proven therapeutics.  It also allows businesses to adapt to reduce the risk of transmission.

I’ve been seeing a lot of articles about the mistakes made during Spanish flu.  Everyone seems to glance over the fact that you will surely have incredible rates of death when technologies and research doesn’t exist at the same level as now and millions of people were literally spending all their time cramped up in trenches.

Yes, it has bought some time, but probably not enough to reduce a lot of deaths. For many it will just be moving the dates up, unless they make a personal decision to continue sheltering in place. Business will adapt and need to be allowed to do so. People adapting will be the biggest factor imo. That means the vulnerable need to avoid crowds and wear an N 95 mask. Their families and friends should keep 6 feet away and avoid prolonged periods of time near them while indoors. At least until there are effective  treatments, but for those most at risk it may mean major changes to activities and reducing trips to public spaces. Everyone else should be able to carry on pretty much as normal in relatively short order. Until treatments and or a vaccine exist, it will need to become part of one’s personal risk assessment. 

52 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

You sir, are a hero! 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Do you really want to align yourself with that crowd?  I thought lawyers had better sense than that. 

Bill Barr apparently doesn’t. 

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Stuff like this is why you’re on the washed up psycho list. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

At war with info....you are a joke. Global warming hoax...deep state...Benghazi!, Clinton...the only places those breath is in deep abscesses like here where jokes like you have enough back up to survive. 

7 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Carter Page - Page 3 | TexAgs

Just now, TH3 said:

At war with info....you are a joke. 

Proving, again, that you're deeply ignorant. Wars have been waged with information since the beginning of time. But nothing has been like the one we're engaged in at present.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Carter Page - Page 3 | TexAgs

Proving, again, that you're deeply ignorant. Wars have been waged with information since the beginning of time. But nothing has been like the one we're engaged in at present.

Fake news.   I’m not deeply ignorant.  I’m also sane.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Stuff like this is why you’re on the washed up psycho list. 

What does Bill Barr have to do with you aligning yourself with some of the most immature, childish, angry posters here?  

53,000 Americans are dead. In the coming days, we will pass milestones of deaths in the Vietnam War and Trump’s 60,000 prediction.

At some point, Trump and our federal government are going to need to bring in competent experts and actually come up with a plan and do something!

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BillStime said:

53,000 Americans are dead. In the coming days, we will pass milestones of deaths in the Vietnam War and Trump’s 60,000 prediction.

At some point, Trump and our federal government are going to need to bring in competent experts and actually come up with a plan and do something!

Good lord. Stop with the ***** hysteria.  

SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING!   

• Haha (+1) 1

The data that is coming out is overwhelming and it's pointing to the CoronaVirus having a much much lower mortality rate than what everyone feared.

I would highly recommend that you guys read that article.  It goes into all the antibody tests and hospital data and a few other nuggets.

Finally, the University of Miami did an antibody study in South Florida and found the rate of infection at 16x known cases, driving down the death rate massively in South Florida as well.

University of Miami (FL) has concluded its preliminary COVID-19 study, which found ~165,000 Miami-Dade residents (or 6%) had antibodies, nearly 16x the number of cases reported by the state health department. This puts the fatality rate at ~0.14% there.

Italy, which presently has the largest coronavirus outbreak in the world, is now publishing details on who is dying in their country. 97% of deaths are in those 60+. I’m surprised more focus right now isn’t on telling seniors to self-quarantine.

View image on Twitter

Massachusetts data on coronavirus deaths in the state: average age of death 81 years old, 97.5% had underlying health conditions

Presently 10,746 people have died in New York City of the coronavirus. Of that number only 66, 66!, didn’t have pre-existing health conditions. That means 99.4% of New York City deaths had underlying health conditions. What are underlying health conditions according to the city? (“Underlying illnesses include Diabetes, Lung Disease, Cancer, Immunodeficiency, Heart Disease, Hypertension, Asthma, Kidney Disease, GI/Liver Disease, and Obesity.” So cancer is considered an underlying illness for the coronavirus. That’s interesting when it comes to considering whether the coronavirus death rate might even be exaggerated as well, but that’s a discussion for another time.)

In the meantime, how about the ages of the deceased?

Just four people in New York City have died of the coronavirus if they are 17 or under. That’s such a tiny percentage: .00037% to be exact, that it’s likely those four people, if they were autopsied, may well have had something else wrong with their health to cause their death. But regardless, young people dying of the coronavirus, despite how these stories may spread virally on social media, are outliers. (Based on the data people 17 and under are FAR more likely to do of the flu every year than they are the coronavirus.)

It doesn’t stop there either.

Do you know how many people under the age of 44 have died of the coronavirus in New York City? 378 people. That’s .35% of the total deaths in the city.

So 99.65% of the people dying of the coronavirus in New York City, the hardest hit place in the entire United States, are 45 years old or older. (Remember, this doesn’t even include all the people of these ages who get the coronavirus and are either asymptomatic or never have any health issues that require hospitalization at all. This means 99.65% of those people 44 years and younger who actually get the coronavirus — which the above data from these five cities tell us is a tiny percentage of the overall people who get this virus — are perfectly fine.)

These numbers are just crazy.   That data is actually data compiled by the hospitals....That isn't an antibody test or some study, this is actual hard data.  

If politicians namely Democrats are hell bent on going by the science and data, then they have to begin relaxing their shut downs and going about it in a much more targeted maner.

Every single passing day, Sweden's policy appears to have gotten it right.   They are beginning to look like geniuses.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

And I knew this reminded me of someone. 

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

Do something?

Such as?

3 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Do something?

Such as?

I don't know, perhaps orchestrate and attempt to execute a backdoor coup using the CIA, DOJ, FBI, and the establishment press as political weapons? 

Because if he did that, we'd know people like Billsztime would be fully supportive -- just as they've been for 44 who actually did those things.

• Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, Magox said:

The data that is coming out is overwhelming and it's pointing to the CoronaVirus having a much much lower mortality rate than what everyone feared.

I would highly recommend that you guys read that article.  It goes into all the antibody tests and hospital data and a few other nuggets.

These numbers are just crazy.   That data is actually data compiled by the hospitals....That isn't an antibody test or some study, this is actual hard data.  

If politicians namely Democrats are hell bent on going by the science and data, then they have to begin relaxing their shut downs and going about it in a much more targeted maner.

Every single passing day, Sweden's policy appears to have gotten it right.   They are beginning to look like geniuses.

I don’t think they look like geniuses. I’d venture a strong guess that they don’t have a political divide like this country. Playing politics while trying to construct policy always works out well.... 

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I don't know, perhaps orchestrate and attempt to execute a backdoor coup using the CIA, DOJ, FBI, and the establishment press as political weapons? 

Because if he did that, we'd know people like Billsztime would be fully supportive -- just as they've been for 44 who actually did those things.

Well, 7 Days in May IS coming up.

SEVEN+DAYS+5.jpg

Douglas, Lancaster, March ...............Can't beat it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, B-Man said:

Well, 7 Days in May IS coming up.

SEVEN+DAYS+5.jpg

Douglas, Lancaster, March ...............Can't beat it.

In grad school I had to do a presentation on that film and the Manchurian Candidate (both Frankenheimer films). If I could do those two presentations over again today, with what I know now, oooooh boy. :beer: 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

I don’t think they look like geniuses. I’d venture a strong guess that they don’t have a political divide like this country. Playing politics while trying to construct policy always works out well.... 

Im not sure what you are trying to say but what I was speaking to is that they look like geniuses compared to the rest of the world.   They didn’t have to restrict their lives and suffer quite as bad of an economic downturn as everyone else.  And they did the logical thing, which was try to protect the most at risk while allowing others to go on about life with social distancing measures.

3 minutes ago, Magox said:

Im not sure what you are trying to say but what I was speaking to is that they look like geniuses compared to the rest of the world.   They didn’t have to restrict their lives and suffer quite as bad of an economic downturn as everyone else.  And they did the logical thing, which was try to protect the most at risk while allowing others to go on about life with social distancing measures.

I was wondering outloud if it’s easier to make decisions and follow data instead of try and dampen panic while constructing new guidelines during an unplanned event. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

The nice thing about message boards? Going back months and months in the same thread hearing the same threats and conspiracies from you.

And here we are - still waiting. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillStime said:

The nice thing about message boards? Going back months and months in the same thread hearing the same threats and conspiracies from you.

And here we are - still waiting. 

In that time, the evidence for my case has grown exponentially stronger, while the counter argument of many has all but been destroyed. This is objectively undeniable.

Keep thinking nothing's coming. You've been wrong about everything for years, why buck that trend now? 

• Like (+1) 2