The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

9 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I agree with that but right now, being too aggressive on that tactic is cutting off our nose to spite our face. 

They can produce things we need right now, including PPE, ventilators, and at some point lots of necessary drugs. 

I'm all for revisiting the China issue once this is over. ***** them is right. 

Germany on the other hand, is not a country we need to poke in the eye. They are an ally and 200,000 masks made in China by an American company, headed for Germany, should go to Germany. Assuming that story has merit, which it may not. We are not in this fight alone and other countries have already helped us. We can do the same.

I hear you. But I'm not losing sleep over this. Lines need to be drawn -- with not just the CCP, but companies like 3M. Germany is not really our friend either -- but that's a different conversation. :beer: 

• Like (+1) 4

29 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

WaPo is the PR/propaganda wing of the Amazon/Bezos empire. Nothing less, nothing more.

If Ignatious' piece is propaganda, the truth is probably scarier.   The chemical lab release has to be closer to the truth than not if they ran with the story.   Accidental release or not, that's pretty nasty stuff.

• Like (+1) 5

30 minutes ago, Q-baby! said:

IMO at least 80000 and possibly way more if people don’t stay home. Why do I think this? Because apparently people can’t stay home. Areas of the country who haven’t been affected yet seem to think it’s not coming. It’s coming. Trump and his clan just started social distancing. Not too long ago they were standing up there as a group shaking hands! He hasn’t helped with the sense of urgency that’s for sure. Time will tell. 

Thanks for the honest input. Obviously, I feel more of a sense of optimism than you, and that your blame of Trump is unreasonable. However, that is your is your opinion.

I agree that time will tell.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, GG said:

If Ignatious' piece is propaganda, the truth is probably scarier.   The chemical lab release has to be closer to the truth than not if they ran with the story.   Accidental release or not, that's pretty nasty stuff.

I agree completely.

I'm not suggesting that particular opinion piece is necessarily wrong, just making a statement about WaPo, its mission, and credibility in general.

I'm actually surprised they printed it given the fact that it places the blame on China, and like you said, the truth is probably worse.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Honest questions, as I really haven't considered the mask thing. 

1. Are they reusable, or do I need an entire pack?

2. Where are they available? 

3. By acquiring them, am I lessening the supply needed by medical and safety workers? 

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

3. By acquiring them, am I lessening the supply needed by medical and safety workers? 

They are not difficult to make.  I would assume someone you know is making them. And they are then "washable"

The kind being given out to the public are NOT usually the kind worn as PPE by medical workers.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I reuse mine, but it's not made to last a long time.  I've looked at studies that tested virus survivability on them, and they show about 6 hrs.   To be safer, get 7 and label them by day of week.  That should last you a good while.  

Check out the video above of making your own mask from used shirts.   Will last as long as you have laundry detergent.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

1) They are reusable, until you suck some crap thru them then you've "loaded" the media and the chances of pulling the contaminate thru and into your lungs goes up.  

2) They used to be available, now you have to make your own.  NFW you're going to be able to procure them for the foreseeable future.

3) Yes, so that is why they do not want to make it mandatory.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, B-Man said:

They are not difficult to make.  I would assume someone you know is making them. And they are then "washable"

The kind being given out to the public are NOT usually the kind worn as PPE by medical workers.

It is stuff like this that frosts my cookies.  Why should people stay inside for two weeks (now 4-6 weeks) under a stay-at-home order, why should the country suffer an economic collapse, why should Upstate NY send ventilators to NYC, if people are unwilling to help themselves? IOW,  either everyone practices social distancing, a lock down, and loss of income, or no one needs to.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 4/2/2020 at 4:30 AM, shoshin said:

1000+ people died yesterday from the "psy op" that you believe in and Buffalo Gal agrees with, and some other poster dedicated a thread to because he doesn't see enough Twitter photos of distraught US hospitals.

167 people die from the flu in NYC on average in a month

About 400 died from Covid-19 in NYC yesterday

Psy op.  

What is wrong with you?

Me? I'll tell you. I have a business that's taking a major hit right now because of a flu bug. So it's kinda like a go fvck yourself because the majority of idiots can't see this is a major power play to crush capitalism. Unless your health is severely compromised already no one should be hiding in their houses with dust mask on. I would be laughing at this if it didn't have the real possibility of destroying my income. It sucks to see how much control can be forced on us by so few people.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, GG said:

Check out the video above of making your own mask from used shirts.   Will last as long as you have laundry detergent.

The video above was very useful in that you can toss that paper towel and wash your mask, and you can easily make a week's supply. Very helpful.

The only problem, and this is not with the mask but with the biggest caveat to wearing masks, is the guy's last comments: "I wear mine to protect you and you wear yours to protect me."

If people aren't wearing a mask, my mask doesn't protect me from them.

So even in a pandemic, the truth remains:  you can't fix stupid.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Dante said:

Me? I'll tell you. I have a business that's taking a major hit right now because of a flu bug. So it's kinda like a go fvck yourself because the majority of idiots can't see this is a major power play to crush capitalism. Unless your health is severely compromised already no one should be hiding in their houses with dust mask on. I would be laughing at this if it didn't have the real possibility of destroying my income. It sucks to see how much control can be forced on us by so few people.

I hope you can make it thru.  What type of war chest do you have?  Weeks or months?

• Like (+1) 1