The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

8 minutes ago, GG said:

I reuse mine, but it's not made to last a long time.  I've looked at studies that tested virus survivability on them, and they show about 6 hrs.   To be safer, get 7 and label them by day of week.  That should last you a good while.  

Check out the video above of making your own mask from used shirts.   Will last as long as you have laundry detergent.

We have a box of them similar to the one in the video for our surveyors. I'd feel bad taking a bunch, but if your 6 hour mark is right I might be able to do with one since I'm only using it to get to and from work. Downtime in between is 9-10 hours minimum. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Not at all. I mean Trump STILL hasn't got the message. Nancy was late but has got on board, Trump still hasn't called for a national stay at home order. Pelosi has done more than Trump with the huge and necessary stilulus that GOP was dragging their feet on. 

Trump is incompetent and it shows 

She wasn't late to the party Tibsy, she told everyone at the party to go out and get some air when she knew there was a serial killer lurking outside. 

She's Typhoid Mary in this sad American tale, and you should hold her accountable as she's one of yours.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScotSHO said:

I hope you can make it thru.  What type of war chest do you have?  Weeks or months?

We have receivables coming in still and some work going on. 50% of our business depends on public events and they are being cancelled. I mean we run pretty lean with not a big overhead. If it goes to long though we may have to do something else. Like go work for the state or some big corp. Maybe that's what they want. Small business gone.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Dante said:

We have receivables coming in still and some work going on. 50% of our business depends on public events and they are being cancelled. I mean we run pretty lean with not a big overhead. If it goes to long though we may have to do something else. Like go work for the state or some big corp. Maybe that's what they want. Small business gone.

:beer: Rooting for you, Dante, and your employees.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

The video above was very useful in that you can toss that paper towel and wash your mask, and you can easily make a week's supply. Very helpful.

The only problem, and this is not with the mask but with the biggest caveat to wearing masks, is the guy's last comments: "I wear mine to protect you and you wear yours to protect me."

If people aren't wearing a mask, my mask doesn't protect me from them.

So even in a pandemic, the truth remains:  you can't fix stupid.

And honestly, that's the rub and why I'm ultimately asking these questions. I passed an older couple (60's I'd guess) and their granddaughter in the stairwell while coming home from work yesterday. They had masks, I did not, and I felt like a jerk. Now it could be argued that they shouldn't be babysitting like they used to, but I prefer to control my actions and I'd like to not be in that position again. 

For now I've taken my 1 mask from the box. Maybe I'll replace it weekly or something. 

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

8 minutes ago, Dante said:

I hope you look into applying for the SBA loans. There is small print, but that loan will turn into a grant if you follow the guidelines.

• Like (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

:beer: Rooting for you, Dante, and your employees.

I appreciate it. I don't want to come off as "woe is me" im not that person. All kinds of people taking bigger hits than we are. I know we will be good one way or another. What frustrates me is it's totally unnecessary.  

Edited by Dante
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Dante said:

Me? I'll tell you. I have a business that's taking a major hit right now because of a flu bug. So it's kinda like a go fvck yourself because the majority of idiots can't see this is a major power play to crush capitalism. Unless your health is severely compromised already no one should be hiding in their houses with dust mask on. I would be laughing at this if it didn't have the real possibility of destroying my income. It sucks to see how much control can be forced on us by so few people.

In terms of what you're going through, I am in the same boat and I am sorry. I had a brutal discussion yesterday with someone who works for me about where we are and how long we can hold out. I can make it work for a while but not measured in a long period where nothing changes. The SBA thing can help. Until 4 weeks ago, I could have sustained almost any hit the market could have given me including a massive downturn like 2008. But this is a whole different thing entirely. My receivables are high but I haven't gotten a payment in 3 weeks. That's not odd, it's completely unprecedented.  

I like the Trump has sent signals about how concerned he is about this. 

Looking at all the data, if NYC metro remains as 50% of the country's cases and deaths by the end of this month, and this doesn't appreciably jump elsewhere, we may have to consider whether we re-open sooner and just pinpoint large metro areas for quarantine rules and slower re-openings. What is currently happening in NYC is awful but it's also not being replicated anyplace else. 

Good luck--I'll love to have the psy-op discussion another day but now's not the time for either of us.  

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

"Told"

What an ass. I understand what he and Cuomo are doing to put pressure on the government to get the help they think they need but imagine what a spirit of cooperation and more subtle pressure would do to the mood of the country. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dante said:

I appreciate it. I don't want to come off as "woe is me" im not that person. All kinds of people taking bigger hits than we are. I know we will be good one way or another. What frustrates me is it's totally unnecessary.  

I hear you man.  Hopefully you and your company can weather the storm and pull thru.

I'm a pleeb in a Fortune 500 company, so if this crap lasts much longer, the mandatory firings begin in May.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Dante said:

No one thinks that. This ####ing sucks. I won't belabor you with my personal issues but I suspect most of us have them. 

On a separate note, one of my daughter's classmates has it. Prognoses for kids are good but that hits close to home, especially since my kid has asthma and the elevates her risk. Helps put some of the $$ into perspective. (She hasn't been in class with this kid for weeks so she's at no risk from her.)

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, shoshin said:

No one thinks that. This ####ing sucks. I won't belabor you with my personal issues but I suspect most of us have them. 

There will be some data points in Sweden and Mexico when this shakes out to see if social distancing, lock downs, and killing an economy were the correct choices or not.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

5 minutes ago, shoshin said:

In terms of what you're going through, I am in the same boat and I am sorry. I had a brutal discussion yesterday with someone who works for me about where we are and how long we can hold out. I can make it work for a while but not measured in a long period where nothing changes. The SBA thing can help. Until 4 weeks ago, I could have sustained almost any hit the market could have given me including a massive downturn like 2008. But this is a whole different thing entirely. My receivables are high but I haven't gotten a payment in 3 weeks. That's not odd, it's completely unprecedented.  

I like the Trump has sent signals about how concerned he is about this. 

Looking at all the data, if NYC metro remains as 50% of the country's cases and deaths by the end of this month, and this doesn't appreciably jump elsewhere, we may have to consider whether we re-open sooner and just pinpoint large metro areas for quarantine rules and slower re-openings. What is currently happening in NYC is awful but it's also not being replicated anyplace else. 

Good luck--I'll love to have the psy-op discussion another day but now's not the time for either of us.  

"Told"

What an ass. I understand what he and Cuomo are doing to put pressure on the government to get the help they think they need but imagine what a spirit of cooperation and more subtle pressure would do to the mood of the country. 

Scary thing is those could get sketchy if your customers don't have anything coming in. They are in the same boat as you and me. 

Good luck to you hopefully this ends by the end of the month. As long as I know there is a limit I can feel better.

Just now, Buffalo_Gal said:

There will be some data point in Sweden and Mexico when this shakes out to see if social distancing, lock downs, and killing an economy were the correct choices or not.

Keep watching the big cities here. In Italy, it only really bombed the Milan area, which is arguably the most NYC place in the country. In Spain, Madrid, again similar to NYC. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

There will be some data point in Sweden and Mexico when this shakes out to see if social distancing, lock downs, and killing an economy were the correct choices or not.

Not much going on in Japan either. I think all they did was lock their borders down.

12 minutes ago, Dante said:

You're not coming off that way at all. No worries there. It's a tough time for a lot of small companies, including my own. We'll all get through it, and be stronger for it (optimist and all) :beer: 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Dante said:

Scary thing is those could get sketchy if your customers don't have anything coming in. They are in the same boat as you and me. 

Good luck to you hopefully this ends by the end of the month. As long as I know there is a limit I can feel better.

For sure man. I love my customers and I understand that paying the people they see every day (their employees) comes before paying me. I have the same thing happening to my vendors. It's a cash flow disaster, which is why the SBA loans can help us all push cash through the system to our fellow businesses. 

If no one pays me for 3 months but they start paying old receivables and money all gets paid, it'll be OK. Not great, but OK. More than 3 months and things start to look Walking Dead Zombie Apocalypse. Pretty sure I can shake some $$ out of the trees before then. 

2 minutes ago, Dante said:

Not much going on in Japan either. I think all they did was lock their borders down.

Totally different culture of distancing and cleanliness too. 

30 minutes ago, Dante said:

That's where my company sits as well. But most of my business comes from larger companies who sub my company to provide programming services on small/med/large technology installs. Pretty much no one can go to job sites to do the work, so everyone is home waiting for this to pass before they go to a site. I fortunately have one customer who was built for this and has been issuing smaller orders for upcoming projects, and even got his person in AP to set us up with ACH payment so they don't have to write/mail checks.

Guess which of my customers will get full-blown concierge service from us when we're done? :lol:

It's probably not a bad idea for you to get into line for the SBA loans, provided you stick to what is forgivable. The trick, I'm learning, is to start with the bank who handles your business banking. DM me if you need me to push you some data beyond the stuff you see at the SBA site. You can start getting your documentation ready in advance and fill out the app, which is about as simple to fill out as you could hope.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1