The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

3 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Oh I'm not so sure about that.  Trump is about Trump.  During the 2014 Ebola epidemic, he and the right wing media politicized the epidemic.  They went full tilt stoking fear, making false claims and then miraculously, the day after the mid-term elections, stopped all coverage of the epidemic.

As president, Trump has far more information at his disposal than any other politician.  He received intelligence briefings in January warning of the pandemic.  He has the CDC and NIH reporting to him.  He formed a corona virus task force.  On February 5, the head of the HHS asked for $2 billion to buy respirator masks and other supplies for the reserve stockpile and what did his administration do?  They cut it to $500 million.

South Korea and the US got their first cases on the same day.  South Korea was aggressive in fighting it.  Trump talked it down, repeatedly making false claims that it was under control and would all go away.  He called it a hoax.

If most of America was making the same mistake as Trump, a lot of that is because of the Trump - Fox News echo chamber.  He talked it down, called it fake news and a hoax and Fox News followed.  For a good part of the population who gets their news from that propaganda organization, what would you expect them to believe.  Trump led them to complacency.

Even when it became obvious that there was a problem and a supplemental bill was needed to fund the fight, he low balled the estimate of what it would take asking for $2.5 billion.  Republicans in the Senate thought over $6 billion and Democrats in the House over $8 billion.  Both the Senate and House were wrong but at least they based their estimates on past epidemics and pandemics.  Not sure how Trump came up with his wildly low number.

It was just last week that Trump was talking about seeing light at the end of the tunnel, easing the restriction by Easter and hoping the church pews would be packed.  This would have been akin to Roosevelt declaring victory over Japan in WW II before Corregidor fell.

His only concern was the stock market. It was looking good to him! 

So, there was an order signed to compel GM to produce ventilators in Kokomo, IN but Ford volunteered? (The guy talking now (Navarro) is talking fast...) He said these businesses are being asked to produce in "Trump time" (otherwise known as fast!)

Navarro: Trump is signing another order tomorrow - people who are biding against each other for export.  Customs and border protection (PO, FedEx, UPS) are going to put a stop to that. If you have inventory, you call FEMA you don't sell it on the black market.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Oh I'm not so sure about that.  Trump is about Trump.  During the 2014 Ebola epidemic, he and the right wing media politicized the epidemic.  They went full tilt stoking fear, making false claims and then miraculously, the day after the mid-term elections, stopped all coverage of the epidemic.

As president, Trump has far more information at his disposal than any other politician.  He received intelligence briefings in January warning of the pandemic.  He has the CDC and NIH reporting to him.  He formed a corona virus task force.  On February 5, the head of the HHS asked for $2 billion to buy respirator masks and other supplies for the reserve stockpile and what did his administration do?  They cut it to $500 million.

South Korea and the US got their first cases on the same day.  South Korea was aggressive in fighting it.  Trump talked it down, repeatedly making false claims that it was under control and would all go away.  He called it a hoax.

If most of America was making the same mistake as Trump, a lot of that is because of the Trump - Fox News echo chamber.  He talked it down, called it fake news and a hoax and Fox News followed.  For a good part of the population who gets their news from that propaganda organization, what would you expect them to believe.  Trump led them to complacency.

Even when it became obvious that there was a problem and a supplemental bill was needed to fund the fight, he low balled the estimate of what it would take asking for $2.5 billion.  Republicans in the Senate thought over $6 billion and Democrats in the House over $8 billion.  Both the Senate and House were wrong but at least they based their estimates on past epidemics and pandemics.  Not sure how Trump came up with his wildly low number.

It was just last week that Trump was talking about seeing light at the end of the tunnel, easing the restriction by Easter and hoping the church pews would be packed.  This would have been akin to Roosevelt declaring victory over Japan in WW II before Corregidor fell.

giphy.gif

Navarro: what this crisis has taught us that we are overly dependent on other countries for medicine, etc.  Never again should we rely on the rest of the world for medicines and other essentials.

They are looking at a Buy American order (after this crisis is over). Essential medicines, medical equipment, medical supplies. They will deregulate. They want advanced technology on US soil.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Navarro: what this crisis has talk us that we are overly dependent on other countries for medicine, etc.  Never again should we rely on the rest of the world for medicines and other essentials.

They are looking at a Buy American order (after this crisis is over). Essential medicines, medical equipment, medical supplies. They will deregulate. They want advanced technology on US soil.

...or Joe will become president, and his handlers will jump right back into bed with China

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Serious question that I'm having a hard time finding.  What did they report to him?  How good was their information?  That would go a long way in judging whether his response was adequate or not.

Also, you have to be intellectually honest and say that Trump didn't call the coronavirus a hoax.  He said Dems trying to blame him for the coronavirus outbreak was the hoax at one of his cross country comedy tour events.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I wonder, if the economy is shut down much longer, how it will effect an area like Buffalo, and the future of professional sports.

I can't see any tax funds going to a new, or re-modeled, stadium anywhere in the state for a very long time, and rightfully so.

3 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

All you're doing now is proving that your brain is addled with a toxic mixture of unchecked TDS and identity politics. Citing Wikipedia as any kind of source -- especially on this topic -- is not an argument a serious person makes. 

Just like a serious person doesn't argue that there is any realistic comparison to the US and South Korea. 

Just like a serious person doesn't argue that there is any worthwhile analysis you can draw by comparing Medieval Europe and Asia to the 21st century global economy. 

... But, as you just proved all morning, you are not a serious person. You're a broken person. 

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

All you're doing now is proving that your brain is addled with a toxic mixture of unchecked TDS and identity politics. Citing Wikipedia as any kind of source -- especially on this topic -- is not an argument a serious person makes. 

Just like a serious person doesn't argue that there is any realistic comparison to the US and South Korea. 

Just like a serious person doesn't argue that there is any worthwhile analysis you can draw by comparing Medieval Europe and Asia to the 21st century global economy. 

... But, as you just proved all morning, you are not a serious person. You're a broken person. 

Saying a shithole is a shithole makes you correct not a racist.  There are parts of this country full of white trailer trash that are shitholes.  The race/color of the inhabitants of said shitholes is inconsequential.  Except of course to all lefties who, for some reason, are obsessed with race and color. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I wonder, if the economy is shut down much longer, how it will effect an area like Buffalo, and the future of professional sports.

I can't see any tax funds going to a new, or re-modeled, stadium anywhere in the state for a very long time, and rightfully so.

I know it will never happen but any major league sports team owner whose facility has public debt should be made to pay it off short term if the amount needed is liquid or near liquid assets in these trying times.

11 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I know it will never happen but any major league sports team owner whose facility has public debt should be made to pay it off short term if the amount needed is liquid or near liquid assets in these trying times.

So legal lease terms should be abrogated?

Wow.

Opens up all kinds of possibilities.

Edited by sherpa

20 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Well then something positive will come from this.

24 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Serious question that I'm having a hard time finding.  What did they report to him?  How good was their information?  That would go a long way in judging whether his response was adequate or not.

Also, you have to be intellectually honest and say that Trump didn't call the coronavirus a hoax.  He said Dems trying to blame him for the coronavirus outbreak was the hoax at one of his cross country comedy tour events.  

Or, the poster is inherently and obviously dishonest, or intellectually lazy, because that 'hoax' angle died and withered on the vine a long time ago.  

27 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Ah that is priceless.  "I've known you for many years, but never knew how bad a senator you were for the people of New York until I became President.".

I wonder when he's going to take the gloves off!  ?

• Like (+1) 2

Yikes! 

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I honestly thought this was an onion article.  We've all gone through at least one time where we caught a pretty horrible virus/flue.  I think he'll be okay but it's not like he just stormed the beaches of Normandy. 

Glad you think it's funny 

5 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Did I say it was being overblown? For one. And for two, you say the above like those are mutually exclusive truths. 

It’s a very serious problem that you’re a mental delinquent whose head is stuck so far up your own ass that you can taste your own larynx. But to say that the world is ending because of your disability is overblowing that situation. 

Engage the real content of what I posted, or take your idiocy and sell it somewhere where someone’s buying. All I have to offer for it here is used TP. 

So the media is  doing a good job educating us about a serious issue. Looked more like you were whining about the coverage, sorry if that was wrong 

Lol, ok Twitter boy! 

(Bloomberg) -- Doctors and hospitals overwhelmed in the pandemic will have to make their excruciating life-or-death decisions meticulously or they risk being second-guessed by a jury when the onslaught is over.

Lawyers who defend health care providers are already giving advice on how their clients can avoid liability if they’re forced to choose between patients. How they prepare for this battlefield triage now -- and how they practice it in the chaos of peak infections -- will determine whether negligence cases against them are dismissed or lead to trials or settlements over the death of a parent or spouse.

“The key, in my opinion, is to have clear written policies that do not discriminate or single out certain types of patients based on age, gender, race or any of those unlawful, suspect criteria,” said Nick Oberheiden, who represents doctors in malpractice litigation.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/life-death-hospital-decisions-come-100000624.html

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, sherpa said:

So legal lease terms should be abrogated?

Wow.

Opens up all kinds of possibilities.

In normal times absolutely not.  But these are far from normal times or circumstances.  Communities will be hit hard by the economic downturn.  I just do not see a 90 day interval from crisis to back to normal.  I expect economic problems for the next 3-5 years with lots of "casualties."  Accelerated terms should not happen in a way to negatively affect a team owner's ability to operate other businesses where employees could have their jobs jeopardized.  

Opens up all kinds of possibilities?  I don't think so.  I am not talking communism?  I am talking about stabilizing a community with money it was going to have anyways but over a greater length of time.  If a team owner has a 100 million sitting in cash with no near term commitment then that owner should have no problem paying off a 25M or 50M stadium related debt.