The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Enh. I think that's just a matter of no testing here.

Possibly, but unlikely because you'd see a spike in deaths in South Jersey.  You can track it here.

6 minutes ago, Gary M said:

Population density and travel patterns are also key. 

Western NY here. When I go to work I pass through two doors that may have been touched by 40 or 50 other people, that's it.

In NYC if you take a train how many other people have touched those same surfaces before you, then you get to your building and open a door and ride an elevator that how many people also touched?

I agree with this. If you look at population density by city, there is nothing at all like NYC in terms of density and sheer number of people. Plus they do not have a driving culture. NYC and the North Jersey extension thereof are entirely different from the rest of the country. 

I could not paste an entire image of this but this is sorted by cities with the most density. The top 8 are NYC metro, and 12 of the top 20 are as well. And at #8, you have 8M people. By comparison, Philadelphia is #95. SF there at 21 is dense but has had limited problems and that is 

image.thumb.png.19503d4e5ae3e9a1a98a5e2d7aa2cea8.png

Edited by shoshin

4 minutes ago, Gary M said:

Population density and travel patterns are also key. 

Western NY here. When I go to work I pass through two doors that may have been touched by 40 or 50 other people, that's it.

In NYC when you leave your apartment how many people left before you, then you take a train how many other people have touched those same surfaces before you, then you get to your building and open a door and ride an elevator that how many people also touched?

That's 100% of the reason why NY and North Jersey exploded, in addition to not heeding directions in early-mid March.

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Those figures might be a bit high.

However, one of the reasons I think some of the Wuhan Virus deaths are overstated is that some countries (Italy) state the cause of death as the Wuhan Virus - even though the patient died from something else, e.g., heart attack, diabetes, stroke, cancer. They may have been infected with the virus, but they died from something else, yet they're counted in the group "Died from Covid-19". 

Agree.

BTW, the figures I quoted came from the CDC site: Over 215,000 dead from influenza, pneumonia, and chronic lower respiratory diseases in 2017, and Over 180,000 dead in 2018. No figures for 2019

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GG said:

That's 100% of the reason why NY and North Jersey exploded, in addition to not heeding directions in early-mid March.

Boston was not closed for a week or 10 days after NYC. Keep an eye on what happens there. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I have several thoughts on this, based on what I have read. My guess is that we will end up with somewhere around 35,000 - 50,000 dead from this wave. I also think far more people have already contracted this virus than we think. Virtually every legitimate source is saying approximatey 25% are asymptomatic and another 25% have minor symptoms that wouldn't even prompt them to seek medical attention. So, I think far more people will have been exposed to it than you think. In the end, I think you will see a death rate of total cases that is higher than the flu, but still below 1%. 

Also, I don't think it won't be too long before we have the capability of each person being able to be tested, as well as the development of therapeutic drugs/vaccines. So, hopefully we don't get hit with a bad second wave in the future. 

I could be wrong and, if so, I will be more than willing to admit it.

Really?  For weeks you have criticized anyone here that has been posting dire predictions concerning this virus.  Certainly your right, and BuffaloGal, and Deek, Rhino, and everyone here saying this is not as bad as feared, have that right.  Are any of you yet ready to admit that you have been terribly wrong?

I just wonder if any of you have considered if you have caused anyone to actually get this virus.  After all you have been saying for weeks that this is not that bad and you have all been so critical of those saying this is going to be very bad.  You might feel that you have been quelling panic but I would like to know if any of you feel any responsibility or even guilt for minimizing this pandemic to the under educated here.

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, GG said:

Or is it because despite of a blanket stay at home order, states outside LA, NY & NJ are not growing at pandemic rates?   At this point of the infection cycle, NY & NJ were growing at 40%.   The rest of the country is growing at 10%.   Seems to me that other areas took the threat seriously and are practicing proper viral hygiene.

Good

1 minute ago, GG said:

49 cases in Steuben county so far 12 hospitalized 1 death. Yet I can't go to my favorite bar. Stupid We are not NYC.

Where are the glaring headlines that daily Wuhan virus deaths declined by 36.8% in NYS yesterday?

I know that one day does not make a trend, but notable nonetheless.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

My point exactly. If you don't know what information anyone in the government received in these classified briefings, regarding the virus, then maybe you should just STFU about it until you do.

The existence of these meetings have been reported in the press.  The press asked for more details and got nothing for the agencies and spin from the WH.  The only times Trump has come clean has been under intense pressure and scrutiny, so I see know reason to stop questioning him.

Regardless, the issue was whether or not Trump's reaction back in Jan/Feb was adequate and clearly it was not.

Edited by Scraps
Duplicate posts

Just now, Bob in Mich said:

Really?  For weeks you have criticized anyone here that has been posting dire predictions concerning this virus.  Certainly your right, and BuffaloGal, and Deek, Rhino, and everyone here saying this is not as bad as feared, have that right.  Are any of you yet ready to admit that you have been terribly wrong?

I just wonder if any of you have considered if you have caused anyone to actually get this virus.  After all you have been saying for weeks that this is not that bad and you have all been so critical of those saying this is going to be very bad.  You might feel that you have been quelling panic but I would like to know if any of you feel any responsibility or even guilt for minimizing this pandemic to the under educated here.

1. No, Bob, I have criticized people for fear mongering and dire predictions while offering no substantive data to back it up, and no willingness to engage in an intellectual discussion about it. I have clearly stated what I think will happen and why. I have provided data and analyses.

2. I clearly stated in the post you quoted, that I will be more than willing to admit I was wrong if the numbers turn out to be worse.

3. I have never minimized it. I have been very clear, consistent, and, IMO, rational in what I have stated.

And, no, I don't think calming people in a time of crisis makes things worse. My experience is that panic, blame, and fearmongering are what makes crises worse than they should be.

So, would you like to give your opinion as to what you think will happen and provide your supporting data?

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Scraps said:

The existence of these meetings have been reported in the press.  The press asked for more details and got nothing for the agencies and spin from the WH.  The only times Trump has come clean has been under intense pressure and scrutiny, so I see know reason to stop questioning him.

Regardless, the issue was whether or not Trump's reaction back in Jan/Feb was adequate and clearly it was not.

So, let me get this straight, you are upset that the press wasn't provided the details from classified meetings? Also, you have no idea of what information was provided to Trump and Congress in these briefings, yet you choose to Blame Trump.

And I am getting so tired of this mantra of Trump doing nothing in January and Februray. I asked @Gary Busey the following questions at least five times and he has yet to answer. I asked @Capcothe same questions and he refused to answer. Since you are making the same claims as they were, please take the time and answer the following questions for all of us.

1. At which point in January and February (your timeframe) should the administration and other leaders around the world have reasonably known the magnitude of what was coming worlwide?

2. What specific information are you basing your answer on?

Timeline

On December 31, China alerted the WHO to several cases of unusual pneumonia in Wuhan

On January 7, the WHO reported that China had identified a new virus, named 2019-nCoV, and that it was identified as belonging to the coronavirus family, which includes SARS and the common cold.

On Jan 11, China announced its first death from the virus released the genetic sequence. However, it was also accompanied with the information that they had only experienced 41 cases and that there was no obvious evidence of human-to-human spread yet. 

By Jan 17, China had reported only 2 deaths and only two cases had been identified outside of China

On Jan 20, First US case is reported

On January 23, The WHO reported that the outbreak did not yet constitute a public emergency of international concern and there was "no evidence" of the virus spreading between humans outside of China.

On Jan 20, Trump forms coronavirus task force

On January 30, the WHO declared the virus a global emergency and reported the death toll in China at 170, with 7,711 cases.

On Jan 31, President Trump bans foreign nationals from entering the US if they were in China within the prior two weeks.

By Feb 3, new cases had been confirmed in at least 7 countries, including the US; however, there had been only 1 death reported outside of China. That was in the Phillipines and it was a man from Wuhan.

By Feb 6, only 30 people in Europe had been identified with the virus and all had ties to China. This is also the date of the first identified human to human transmission of the virus in Malasia.

On Feb 12, cases start to spike in South Korea

Through the end of Feb, there had been 88,000 confirmed cases - but only 8000 confirmed cases outside of China. There were 2977 deaths - but only 142 outside of China

Between Mar 1 - Mar 10 approx 35,000 new cases identified outside of China, and 1,319 deaths world-wide outside of China

On Mar 11, the WHO officiallly declares a pandemic

On Mar 11, President Trump bans all travel from 26 European countries for non-US citizens and non-green card holders

By Mar 11, There were 32,000 confirmed cases and 1,400 deaths, world-wide, outside of China and South Korea - with both China and Korea reporting stabilazation of the virus.

On Mar 13, Trump declares a US national emergency with 2,183 confirmed cases and 48 deaths

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

the only flaw in that design would be the gaps along side the nose. of which could easily be plugged.

I think the primary goal is to keep your germs contained, not so much to keep others out.  If both people are wearing masks, the transmission risk is greatly reduced

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, GG said:

I think the primary goal is to keep your germs contained, not so much to keep others out.  If both people are wearing masks, the transmission risk is greatly reduced

agreed. however not all will wear masks. again the remedy is simple.

28 minutes ago, GG said:

Where are the glaring headlines that daily Wuhan virus deaths declined by 36.8% in NYS yesterday?

I know that one day does not make a trend, but notable nonetheless.

297214625_MessagesImage(1171313260).thumb.png.0864c6b0b8b9c7fc83c8e8a1afd63eed.png

Up yesterday in NYS, declined in NYC though.