The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

2 hours ago, Capco said:

The Chinese quarantined Wuhan and it helped.  If quarantining this area (or any area) helps prevent the spread of the disease it should be done.  

At this point it's probably too late (all it takes is 1 individual outside the quarantined area for the quarantine to be ineffective, and we already know that to be the case even with the piss poor testing being done) but again if the experts say it's a good idea then that's fine.  My main concern is that people/governments outside of the quarantined areas might loosen their social distancing discipline and measures.  

Whether he has the legal authority to do so I don't know, but in times of crisis the president should have this kind of authority.  

careful sir.

define crisis, and define it relative to the constitution, define it relative to 'experts', define it relative to the rights of the states v. the federal govt, and just to chill it all down a bit more, assume the party you support is not in power at Executive level, nor in the House or Senate.  

for example...climate change.  or, if you please on the other side of the aisle, Trump anything. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

You mean like real scientists with PhD's:

Petitionproject.org/index.php

Hey Syd--quick question and please forvgive my ignorance.  Seems to me when I was in Australia a couple years ago, it was a very popular place for tourists from China and other Asian countries.  I can certainly check the internet, but how have you all been holding up in Sydney?  Amazing place, hope you and yours are all well!

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Hey Syd--quick question and please forvgive my ignorance.  Seems to me when I was in Australia a couple years ago, it was a very popular place for tourists from China and other Asian countries.  I can certainly check the internet, but how have you all been holding up in Sydney?  Amazing place, hope you and yours are all well!

Not just tourists, but the number of Chinese people with Australian citizenship is growing each year in percentage terms. Most of our left-wing universities rely on expensive fees from wealthy Chinese students. It's a risky model IMO.

We were the only country other than the US who banned travel from China in the very early phase of the Chinavirus. God bless Trump and Morrison!

We are now in semi-shutdown mode. 13 dead as of yesterday. But when you have young idiots going to the beach in their thousands and many others ignoring the medical advice then it is bound to get worse before it gets better.

• Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Not just tourists, but the number of Chinese people with Australian citizenship is growing each year in percentage terms. Most of our left-wing universities rely on expensive fees from wealthy Chinese students. It's a risky model IMO.

We were the only country other than the US who banned travel from China in the very early phase of the Chinavirus. God bless Trump and Morrison!

We are now in semi-shutdown mode. 13 dead as of yesterday. But when you have young idiots going to the beach in their thousands and many others ignoring the medical advice then it is bound to get worse before it gets better.

Fake news (according to some).

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TPS said:

Should they worry more about a 30% growth on a base of 4,000, or a 20% growth on a base of 50,000? Or, are you assuming the faster growth will continue?

If they're worried about transmission of the virus, they should be more worried about the state next to them, whose curve is at least two weeks behind NYS.  That's where the real danger is.  Chances are if New Yorkers are without symptoms now, they don't have the virus.  Can't say the same about Massholes. 

30 minutes ago, GG said:

If they're worried about transmission of the virus, they should be more worried about the state next to them, whose curve is at least two weeks behind NYS.  That's where the real danger is.  Chances are if New Yorkers are without symptoms now, they don't have the virus.  Can't say the same about Massholes. 

Seems as though 25-40% can be asymptomatic and can also transmit the virus according to some sites I’ve read.

Fears are growing that Florida could be another coronavirus hotspot after a sharp increase in infections in the last 24 hours and nearly two dozen more deaths.

Health officials said Saturday morning they have seen 863 additional positive COVID-19 cases, which brought the total tally of cases to 3,763.

CLICK HERE FOR FULL CORONAVIRUS COVERAGE

In this photo provided by the Florida Keys News Bureau, Monroe County Sheriff’s Office Col. Lou Caputo directs a driver wanting to continue down the Florida Keys Overseas Highway near Key Largo, Fla. Friday, March 27, 2020. The Keys have been temporarily closed to visitors since March 22, because of the coronavirus crisis. Keys officials decided to established the checkpoint Friday to further lessen the threat of virus transmission to people in the subtropical island chain.

In this photo provided by the Florida Keys News Bureau, Monroe County Sheriff’s Office Col. Lou Caputo directs a driver wanting to continue down the Florida Keys Overseas Highway near Key Largo, Fla. Friday, March 27, 2020. The Keys have been temporarily closed to visitors since March 22, because of the coronavirus crisis. Keys officials decided to established the checkpoint Friday to further lessen the threat of virus transmission to people in the subtropical island chain. (Andy Newman/Florida Keys News Bureau via AP)

More than 600,000 people around the world have tested positive for coronavirus. On Friday, the U.S. surpassed China - where the virus was first detected late last year - after recording more than 100,000 infections.

Florida is now the fourth most-hit state in the United States, after New York, New Jersey, and California, according to data by health officials and Johns Hopkins University.

MIAMI MAYOR TESTS POSITIVE FOR CORONAVIRUS WITHOUT SYMPTOMS, URGES PEOPLE TO 'TAKE THIS VERY SERIOUSLY'

Miami-Dade and Broward counties – the two most populous in the state – have recorded the highest number of infections, with more than 400 new cases between the two over the last 24 hours. Miami's Mayor Francis Javier Suarez tested positive for the virus and told Fox News he is recovering well.

At least 54 people have died of coronavirus in Florida, including at least 3 in Miami-Dade and 11 in Broward counties.

Miami-Dade’s first coronavirus-related death was 40-year-old Israel Carrera, from North Miami, who died Thursday – just days after testing positive for COVID-19.

Health officials said they believe he might have contracted the virus after attending the Winter Party Music Festival in early March.

“It started with fever, and then very quickly he was having problems with breathing,” Franco Conquista, who NBC 6 identified as his boyfriend, said on Friday.

No stay at home order, though. Governor DeSantis is screwing up big time. There is an online petition calling on him to shut down the state (300,000) signers. 

First he was slow on the beaches, now this

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-sees-sharp-spike-in-coronavirus-infections-as-fears-grow-it-could-be-another-hotspot

9 minutes ago, meazza said:

Seems as though 25-40% can be asymptomatic and can also transmit the virus according to some sites I’ve read.

If that's the case and given the mortality rate, the world would be dead

1 hour ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Well God bless you my friend. We had the same issues with young kids hitting beaches and the like here in the US, and it certainly can be a problem.  

I was only in Sydney for about 9 days, my daughter had an internship and was there a few months. We all loved it, and the people were very nice. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

FRONTIERS IN BLAME-SHIFTING: 

New Orleans would have canceled Mardi Gras if feds had taken coronavirus more seriously, Mayor says.

A lot of blue cities and blue states failed the test here, and they’re all going to be singing this tune.

It wasn’t the feds that told New Orleans to have Mardi Gras when other events were closing down, and it wasn’t the feds who told NYC to encourage people to go to Lunar New Year parades and ride the subway.

Related: New York Health Commissioner Tells People Not To Follow White House Coronavirus Guidance.

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Along with their N95 panty shield mask, appears shes going all in and opening the garbage bags to further protect themselves.

Putting the bags over their heads for additional protection seems just as logical as their masks.

Hope she remembers to cut out the eye holes.

Edited by I am the egg man

What it's like for health care workers on the front lines of the coronavirus pandemic

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/27/us/inside-hospitals-coronavirus-vignettes/index.html

A very grim article

States and stores are banning reusable bags during COVID-19 pandemic. Is it safe to use them?

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/03/18/states-and-stores-are-banning-reusable-bags-is-it-safe-to-use-them

Edited by ALF

2 hours ago, ALF said:

What it's like for health care workers on the front lines of the coronavirus pandemic

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/27/us/inside-hospitals-coronavirus-vignettes/index.html

A very grim article

A tough time for front line health care workers.

A great time for CNN...

10 hours ago, Q-baby! said:

You ***** losers still going to suck donnie’s dick when he gets the virus? 

Hope not too many die from his incompetence! 

Do you ever stop to read the stuff you post? Donald Trump having been elected President is not worth what it’s done to you. (I’m going to hope you weren’t this much of a frustrated loser before November 2016) Pull up on the stick dude! Breathe!

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Do you ever stop to read the stuff you post? Donald Trump having been elected President is not worth what it’s done to you. (I’m going to hope you weren’t this much of a frustrated loser before November 2016) Pull up on the stick dude! Breathe!

My guess is that he has always been that much of a loser and not worth the effort of a response...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

My guess is that he has always been that much of a loser and not worth the effort of a response...

I think it’s an interesting study. I never cared for Obama much but I never got to the point of posting stuff like I read from some of these people. You have to be in a really sad place in your soul to make comments like that about other Americans. Sad.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I do and I laugh. Then I go back to laughing at you! 

Must be down to zero cases by now? Or will that coincide with Mexico paying for the “wall?”

13 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I think it’s an interesting study. I never cared for Obama much but I never got to the point of posting stuff like I read from some of these people. You have to be in a really sad place in your soul to make comments like that about other Americans. Sad.

That kind of pure hatred starts at home - self-loathing projected onto the world.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ALF said:

A very grim article

States and stores are banning reusable bags during COVID-19 pandemic. Is it safe to use them?

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/03/18/states-and-stores-are-banning-reusable-bags-is-it-safe-to-use-them

Reusable bags should be banned permanently. They should be called "Save The Germs Bags" or "Petri Dishes With A Handle". 

• Like (+1) 2