2020 Bills Unrestricted Free Agents

YoloinOhio

12 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

only one I want to have back 100% is Spain   No way I'm investing heavy into Shaq Lawson or Jordan Phillips  .  Only the Bills believed in Phillips so maybe he stays on a reasonable contract  I worry we'll overpay to keep "process" guys  I want DiMarco, Gore, Foster, Kroft. gone asap.

If we let Phillips and Lawson walk, we have:

Hughes

Murphy

Darryl Johnson

Oliver

Star

Harry

As for LB, we have:

Edmunds 

Milano

Thompson

Joseph

We just saw 2 of the top 3 elite defenses lose their playoff game.   We had a 16 point second half lead they couldn’t hold.  

If they want to come back, great. ...but I’m not breaking the bank.   We have enough talent to surround with vets and mid-round picks.  

Spend our resources on Offense like we want to give Allen what Mahomes has. 

Edited by SCBills

36 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I'm in the opposite opinion when it comes to RB. I think we need to add some speed at the position as to me Motor is a mauler. 

I just think we need a 2nd RB that would be effective when called upon. Not a huge step backward like Gore became later this season.

1 minute ago, CommonCents said:

Milano’s value has to have dropped with his play over the last month. 

He's always been inconsistent in my opinion but thought he played his best this season. I still wonder if his position is an area to improve on.

Just now, CommonCents said:

Milano’s value has to have dropped with his play over the last month. 

Milano is a good not great player, I think he's the type you need to win but not over pay for. I hate making this comparison but is first one that came to mind but similar to Tedy Bruschi.

4 minutes ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

this ... OL is huge ... give Josh 2 more seconds and he can work it.

Also, Mitch Morse said that Spain is a huge help to him because he’s so smart. Just like keeping OL consistency, it’s truly the key to executing on offense in so many ways. He may he replaceable talent wise but we know he plays well in this system already. 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Also, Mitch Morse said that Spain is a huge help to him because he’s so smart. Just like keeping OL consistency, it’s truly the key to executing on offense in so many ways. He may he replaceable talent wise but we know he plays well in this system already. 

I still think our line needs to play better although I think they did very well. How do we improve there?

I would re-sign Spain, and negotiate with Jordan Phillips. Phillips would be a big loss.  But we get Harrison Phillips back, so perhaps we don't need to spend big money on essentially backup DT.

I'd make a splash and sign Clowney to replace Lorax.

Add either Jason Verrit or Justin Simmons to secondary over KJ

Replace Lawson with Carl Nassib.

Add FA value RB and WR 

Add special team FA

With all our draft picks, draft -WR,OT,RB,WR,OL,LB

It's fun to play Beane with all this cap room and draft picks, and not too may needs . This is a deep roster, and will be much deeper and more talented next season.

Let's go Buffalo!

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I like Bruce and follow him, but he’s wrong.  Shaq and Phillips are mid to high mid level contracts.  Poyer has a year left and he’s not getting younger, some would argue he’s a product of the system and Johnson could be his replacement.  White has 2 years remaining with the 5yr option.  Kevin Johnson is a quality back up, who has played well but not an expensive re-sign.  Spain came to Buffalo on a prove it deal, he won’t see that much more in free agency.

3 minutes ago, frogger said:

I like Bruce and follow him, but he’s wrong.  Shaq and Phillips are mid to high mid level contracts.  Poyer has a year left and he’s not getting younger, some would argue he’s a product of the system and Johnson could be his replacement.  White has 2 years remaining with the 5yr option.  Kevin Johnson is a quality back up, who has played well but not an expensive re-sign.  Spain came to Buffalo on a prove it deal, he won’t see that much more in free agency.

I only posted it because a bunch of the other guys like Joe B etc replied and agreed. Maybe he’s off base 

55 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’d want Spain back, the issue is that if everyone feels like Ford is a guard...then one of these guard spots needs to be open. If I know anything about McDermott, he’s going to play the guys he drafted. That’s just what’s going to happen. So if Ford is going to play, then I want him to play the position he’s best at. That probably means : no Spain unfortunately 

McDermott will stubbornly jam Ford down our throats until his third year when he finally moves him to guard like he “knew all along”. Aside from being conservative with a lead, one of his biggest flaws is sticking with people too long out of loyalty, when it’s obviously not working to anyone with an objective eye. 

45 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

There are zero must-sign players on that list.

I’d like to have Spain back, but not at premium guard money since you could move Ford to LG, where he played at Oklahoma for 2 full seasons.

Shaq and Jordan are going to get PAID. I’m actually more concerned about LB depth than anything else, and I’d like to get KJ back at a $6M-$7M per year gap deal if he’d take it.

Yep, this. Jordan Phillips is the most overrated Bill in a long time. Let some other team overpay him for his sack numbers. He finishes plays but he doesn't make enough plays, if that makes sense. And he's terrible against the run.

Shaq Lawson gets sacks because of the scheme more than his ability. Plays decently against the run which makes him good depth but that's all. Some team might try to pay him like a former 1st round pick. Let them. His production can be found in the draft.

I have the same question about Spain as you do. I would bring him back but if Ford only plays LG, not RG, then paying Spain could be pointless. That being said I don't think it's wise to assume Ford will be better than Spain even at LG. So I'd still bring Spain back for the competition if nothing else.

Every other player on that list is replacement level IMO.

8 minutes ago, frogger said:

Contracts also come off the books, draft choices will beat out some veterans, the cap will rise... it's a fluid situation that I wouldn't really worry about.  And we won't sign all our own free agents, no team does that. It's not feasible.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, klos63 said:

Contracts also come off the books, draft choices will beat out some veterans, the cap will rise... it's a fluid situation that I wouldn't really worry about.  And we won't sign all our own free agents, no team does that. It's not feasible.

I believe that too and now that we are in the “window” I think that money is used 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

McDermott will stubbornly jam Ford down our throats until his third year when he finally moves him to guard like he “knew all along”. Aside from being conservative with a lead, one of his biggest flaws is sticking with people too long out of loyalty, when it’s obviously not working to anyone with an objective eye. 

McDermott finished his 3rd year here, how many players could he have built up loyalty with that needed to be moved?

12 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

How does this even apply to Ford? He’s a rookie playing RT. Let the guy develop. Maybe he will be moved. Maybe he won’t. Can’t make that call yet. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Right now, I think Spain is the only FA I would prioritize. Sounds like he won’t be too expensive and he has been good for us this year. Phillips and Shaq played well this year but they are not big time difference makers and right now it seems like their expected paydays might be pricey. Think we can get similar impact with cheaper players at their position especially with Harrison Phillips coming back next year.

The Dream would be to upgrade our RT with Jack Conklin we have to get that position stabilized with a good player, DE with Yannick Ngakou, CB/S depth with Will Parks, CB with a short deal for Chris Harris (not much available in CB for free agency though we desperately need an upgraded #2), find some better LB depth than what we have, then either a trade for a WR like Mike Evans or doing the flyer on a short deal for AJ green. We have the money to do all that. That’s what I’m looking forward to and hoping for now, after yesterday.

3 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Seriously? Zay Jones, Peterman, kelvin benjamin, Ducasse are a few I can think of off the top of my head. 

He gave Zay Jones 2 years, peterman 2 years, KB 1 year and ducasse 2 years. And that’s on the roster, not necessarily on the field. The first two were rookies... not saying any of them were good. But not sure where the stubbornly hang on for “loyalty” applies

Edited by YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

How does this even apply to Ford? He’s a rookie playing RT. Let the guy develop. Maybe he will be moved. Maybe he won’t. Can’t make that call yet. 

You’re right...it doesn’t fully apply. Yet. The first part of my post said by year 3. Of course I don’t know the future. I’m projecting based on track record. With that said, in my opinion, Ford is a guard (and could be a damn good one). Seems obvious to me when you watch his feet. But my opinion, much like everyone else’s on this board means nothing to the decision makers. 

Just now, TheProcess said:

You’re right...it doesn’t fully apply. Yet. The first part of my post said by year 3. Of course I don’t know the future. I’m projecting based on track record. With that said, in my opinion, Ford is a guard (and could be a damn good one). Seems obvious to me when you watch his feet. But my opinion, much like everyone else’s on this board means nothing to the decision makers. 

I think he’s probably a better Guard as well. But RT is a premium position that, if he can develop into it, is a huge piece and we have young bookend OTs. He had held his own this year against some very good Ds. Just think I would give him more time to develop there, now if a better option comes available that’s another story. 

5 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Seriously? Zay Jones, Peterman, kelvin benjamin, Ducasse are a few I can think of off the top of my head. 

We had nobody better than those people and he got rid of them as soon as we had a replacement. He cut Benjamin during the season. Wasn't Ducasse benched last season?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

He gave Zay Jones 2 years, peterman 2 years, KB 1 year and ducasse 2 years. And that’s on the roster, not necessarily on the field. The first two were rookies... not saying any of them were good. But not sure where the stubbornly hang on for “loyalty” applies

Please. Loyalty doesn’t require 5-10 years to be proven. It’s not stubborn or a stretch for me to suggest McD has been too loyal to certain people on the team when it was clear that it wasn’t working out. They were his guys. And like many coaches and talent evaluators in this league, they have a hard time accepting their failures and defeat. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I personally would sign Shaq if I could only have one of him or Phillips. Prefer both obviously. 

I would absolutely pay Quinton Spain

Agreed, and in additIon offer contracts early to Milano, and White.  Then we’ll have a handle on how much to invest in free agency vs. holding some back as Allen’s contract is coming up unless they place the 5th year option on him, and to me you only do that if you still have any question whether he is the future.

2 minutes ago, egd said:

Zay Jones, for one.

I’m not defending McDermott as much as saying he was on a rookie deal and not “terrible”- he did have some decent games -  plus he had like 5 different QBs he played with..  and didn’t have a ton of time with allen due to their various injuries. I didn’t think it was really too late to deal him when they did 

Edited by YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He gave Zay three years.

3 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Please. Loyalty doesn’t require 5-10 years to be proven. It’s not stubborn or a stretch for me to suggest McD has been too loyal to certain people on the team when it was clear that it wasn’t working out. They were his guys. And like many coaches and talent evaluators in this league, they have a hard time accepting their failures and defeat. 

Who did we have that was better?  The focus the first 2 years was on defense, this past offseason was offense, hence, 9 new starters. It's not about loyalty.