NFL Black Monday - Coaching Changes

wppete

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not telling you he is a great coach (although he has never had a losing season in 13 years) but there is no chance they fire him this year. Steelers have major personnel issues looming on offense. Who knows whether Ben is back, the oline has been great but is creaking with age, JuJu has been banged up and it isn't quite the same as being the #2 to the best receiver in football and James Conner is a nice player and a nice story but nothing more than that. It is very possible that they are about to embark on a rebuild on that side and that Tomlin does not survive it. But the axe will not fall this year. 

Agree with your take but it wont be a knee jerk decision  They will have to bottom out.  Ben comes back they might eke out 9 wins prolonging the rebuild    Steelers have had three coaches total  That is just incredible

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DuckyBoys said:

how many Super Bowls they have?  Pretty sure the fans  will be ok.  To win 8 games with Devlin Hodges and Mason Rudolph is not shabby

Nothing like living in the past.  As Bills fans we know that all too well.  Steeler fans will not be ok with the decision to keep Tomlin; missing the playoffs for two years in a row is a big deal for them, it is not something they're used to.  Tomlin handled the qb situation terribly, had a real shot at getting into the playoffs this year, but didn't.

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Cleveland - Kitchens returns; it has only been a year

Jax - Doug is gone, how could he not be after firing the President of Operations.  New guy will want to bring in his own coach and GM.

NYG -  Shurmur is gone, the Mara's have seen enough

Dallas - Garret is gone

Washington - Doesn't matter, Snyder needs to be gone for them to win

Pittsburgh - Tomlin is fired.  He's not the guy for the team after Big Ben; Tomlin is in way over his head right now.

I agree with Tomlin.  Know idea if he will be fired, but he should be, it's about 2 years too late actually.  Think he's worn out his welcome.  Too many issues Antonio Brown, Bell.  While not directly Tomlin's doing, it's on his watch.

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not telling you he is a great coach (although he has never had a losing season in 13 years) but there is no chance they fire him this year. Steelers have major personnel issues looming on offense. Who knows whether Ben is back, the oline has been great but is creaking with age, JuJu has been banged up and it isn't quite the same as being the #2 to the best receiver in football and James Conner is a nice player and a nice story but nothing more than that. It is very possible that they are about to embark on a rebuild on that side and that Tomlin does not survive it. But the axe will not fall this year. 

3 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

What Tomlin did this year is very similar to me what Mcdermott did year one here. Taking a group of rag tag backup practice squad level players on offense and a solid defense and getting the very most from them and competing to back into a wildcard spot. 
I would be shocked to see him fired. 

I'd consider firing him to be the akin to a life time achievement award!

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

What Tomlin did this year is very similar to me what Mcdermott did year one here. Taking a group of rag tag backup practice squad level players on offense and a solid defense and getting the very most from them and competing to back into a wildcard spot. 
I would be shocked to see him fired. 

I don't think that's accurate at all. They still have arguably the best O-line in the league, a very good defensive line, very good defensive backs, and a good running back. They lack LBs and WRs but it's hardly a "rag tag" group. I still think Tomlin has done a good job considering the QB situation, but it's nowhere near the lack of talent McD was working with.

39 minutes ago, wppete said:

Black Monday tomorrow in the NFL. What are your predictions???

Cleveland - Kitchens out for sure?

Jacksonville - St. Doug out?

NYG - Shurmur gone?

Dallas - Garrett fired?

Washington - Are they going to hire Rivera? Prob the smartest thing they can do. 

Who else???? What about the hires? Any surprise new coaches? 

I don’t know about Pittsburgh, NYG, as not normally their MO, and I would fire Kitchens, but doesn’t mean he will get fired.

As far as Rivera, would you want to coach the Cowboys, vs. the Jags who have defensive talent, and if the Browns do fire Kitchens, Rivera is the type of leader to corral those personalities.  I seriously doubt Rivera takes that Redskins job for similar reasons as Dallas. Who wants to work for those owners.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, MPT said:

I don't think that's accurate at all. They still have arguably the best O-line in the league, a very good defensive line, very good defensive backs, and a good running back. They lack LBs and WRs but it's hardly a "rag tag" group. I still think Tomlin has done a good job considering the QB situation, but it's nowhere near the lack of talent McD was working with.

They lost their #1 quarterback, running back, tight end and receiver for stretches. I mean this isn’t even a conversation if their defense wasn’t so good. The D got them the record mostly. But a lot of those guys playing skill positions are barely practice squad worthy. 

10 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Nothing like living in the past.  As Bills fans we know that all too well.  Steeler fans will not be ok with the decision to keep Tomlin; missing the playoffs for two years in a row is a big deal for them, it is not something they're used to.  Tomlin handled the qb situation terribly, had a real shot at getting into the playoffs this year, but didn't.

I don't think he handled it terribly. What else can you do when your starter goes down besides rolling with the hot hand until they fail?

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, wppete said:

Black Monday tomorrow in the NFL. What are your predictions???

Cleveland - Kitchens out for sure?

Jacksonville - St. Doug out?

NYG - Shurmur gone?

Dallas - Garrett fired?

Washington - Are they going to hire Rivera? Prob the smartest thing they can do. 

Who else???? What about the hires? Any surprise new coaches? 

Rivera is better than that.  The Washington job is for someone desperate to be a HC.  I hope Rivera doesn't stoop that low.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, stuvian said:

Wondering what the Bucs will do with Arians and Winston 

Arinas isn't going anywhere but Winston will most likely be gone. I look for them to make a move in the draft this year to get a QB or possibly sign Dalton.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Rivera is better than that.  The Washington job is for someone desperate to be a HC.  I hope Rivera doesn't stoop that low.

Yeah I agree, I don’t want him there either. I’m a huge fan of Rivera, think he is a leader of men and a true Head Coach that has also played and succeeded in the league. I don’t want him in the AFC though because we will have to deal with him. Perfect spot for Rivera would be in Dallas. I really hope that happens. 

Goners:

Cleveland
Jax
Dallas
Giants
Detroit

I can see Dallas and Washington making a play for Rivera.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Dallas or Cleveland push for Urban Meyer

There will be speculation that teams are interested in Jim Harbaugh, speculation fueled from Harbaugh's people but not from the NFL

2020 Preseason Hot Seat

MiamiJets (oops, got my gase failures mixed up)

San Diego

Atlanta

Tampa

Edited by /dev/null
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, wppete said:

Yeah I agree, I don’t want him there either. I’m a huge fan of Rivera, think he is a leader of men and a true Head Coach that has also played and succeeded in the league. I don’t want him in the AFC though because we will have to deal with him. Perfect spot for Rivera would be in Dallas. I really hope that happens. 

I'd rather he end up with the Giants.  Jerry Jones likes puppets.  Rivera is too good for that, too.  I totally agree that Rivera is a leader of men and a true HC.  I think his history with Gettleman would serve him (and the Giants) well.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I'd rather he end up with the Giants.  Jerry Jones likes puppets.  Rivera is too good for that, too.  I totally agree that Rivera is a leader of men and a true HC.  I think his history with Gettleman would serve him (and the Giants) well.

Yeah that would be good for Rivera also in NYG. One thing we know is wherever he goes the fan base should be excited because they are getting a legit HC. 

Just now, wppete said:

Yeah that would be good for Rivera also in NYG. One thing we know is wherever he goes the fan base should be excited because they are getting a legit HC. 

Absolutely.  Just keep him out of the AFC!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, /dev/null said:

2020 Preseason Hot Seat

Miami

San Diego

Atlanta

Tampa

No way is Flores in the hot seat in MIA.  He did a great job with a team most said had one of the least talented NFL rosters in years.  He’s already accomplished something McDermott has failed at six straight times.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Goners:

Cleveland
Jax
Dallas
Giants
Detroit

I can see Dallas and Washington making a play for Rivera.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Dallas or Cleveland push for Urban Meyer

There will be speculation that teams are interested in Jim Harbaugh, speculation fueled from Harbaugh's people but not from the NFL

2020 Preseason Hot Seat

Miami

San Diego

Atlanta

Tampa

Flores is super safe next year, this a complete rebuild and he has the players playing hard. Quinn likely won't see November if they get off to a slow start.