I'm seriously worried about one thing... the conservativeness of our play calling when we are up

Adamb412

1 minute ago, Adamb412 said:

McDermott doesnt have a kill instinct and there was a part in the 4th quarter I forget when it was 4th and 1 I wanted them to go for it and McDermott opted for a punt

We're on our 30. out of all the hundreds and hundreds of NFL games this year only one team has gone for once on there 30

You're really not going to see that unless it's the last drive

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

At 4th and 1, I would have LOVED to see us go for it.  It's not the normal move, but against the Pats, that's kind of what you have to do.

A 50/50 call - can't fault him too much.  But we would have had a better chance to win being more aggressive there.

• Like (+1) 1

After we went up 17 - 10  they got way too conservative. In that case they should assume NE is going to score again, Instead they tried to run a full quarter of time off the clock, essentially wasting two possessions, but needed more time at the end. It's really not very smart.

Edited by Chemical
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I hate it too, but it usually works.  

Not sure how he thought today was the day to do that though.  Our defense could not get off the field, played disinterested, missed tackles and generally was a no-show.  

Also, it’s New England on their last stand.  You have to kill them, they aren’t going to just die. 

Edited by SCBills

I think he’s fine. I hated early in the year when McD would pass on an easy FG and go for the 4th down only to be stuffed. It’s the NFL don’t take chances like that on your side of the field and don’t pass up easy points in early portions of games 

Time of Possession New England 38:52 Buffalo 21:08. Does anyone believe we win if it’s another sustained drive. 3rd Qtr 2:21 left 4th & 1 at our 36, up 17-13, McD elects to punt the ball NE goes on to drive 11 plays 77 yards over 6:40 and converts a FG cutting out lead to 17-16. This is a dangerous call but on a night where the Defense was giving up drives & major time giving NE the ball on our 36 would have kept valuable clock on our side.

13 minutes ago, Success said:

At 4th and 1, I would have LOVED to see us go for it.  It's not the normal move, but against the Pats, that's kind of what you have to do.

A 50/50 call - can't fault him too much.  But we would have had a better chance to win being more aggressive there.

Yup. It was more like 4th and 1/2-yard. Why the hell not show your guys you believe in them?

The way NE was moving the ball and controlling the time of possession, it left our D really gassed. Beating the Pats requires you to keep Brady & Edelman off the field, and we just gave it right back to them after a 3 and out. 

And as it turned out — PREDICTABLY — Brady was right back to the spot three plays later.

I don’t think mcdermott is too safe at all mostly. If the offense executes and plays well he shows he’ll be aggressive. But he refuses to take chances of swinging the momentum to the other team. Should they have ran 3 straight times, no of course not. He has shown he does not trust Allen to make plays in critical situations to put the game away. Maybe that’s a bad thing. 
He only trusts Allen when he has no choice and yes Allen is coming through most of the time. I can see why he’s not aggressive in situations where Allen may force a turnover or the line is going to get penalized cause they’re struggling blocking. And I can see why he trusts his defense to get a stop even on a day like today when they are not playing their best. Some are calling him gutless, but those same people freak out if we don’t feed singletary, would absolutely freak out if instead of a first down run after they got the lead they threw it and Allen got sacked and fumbled. People are going to nitpick and overreact no matter how he plays it. 
When Mcdermott challenges he’s stupid for wasting a timeout on an unwinnable challenge. When he doesn’t challenge like the 4th down patriot run today he’s dumb, when there is zero chance they overturn that call. 
When the side view does not show the ball and the runners knee they are staying with the call on the field 100% of the time. 
It’s a no win situation and there’s probably 20 other fan bases who would KILL to have our current setup and structure

16 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

He has shown he does not trust Allen to make plays in critical situations to put the game away. Maybe that’s a bad thing. 
He only trusts Allen when he has no choice and yes Allen is coming through most of the time. I can see why he’s not aggressive in situations where Allen may force a turnover or the line is going to get penalized cause they’re struggling blocking.

That was fine when Josh was a rookie and then a tad careless in the beginning of this year. Young QB, top notch D, you trust the D. But, since that 1sty Cheats game, Josh has sure proven he protects the ball well and he is clutch. Trust the man!

• Like (+1) 1