Allen slammed on ESPN

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

And yet, when they needed to score to win the game, what plays did they call?

I'll give you a hint: a deep throw to Brown, an end zone shot to Brown, and an end zone shot to Kroft.

Interesting, isn't it?

Isn't it also interesting that his best football comes when they need him to make plays late in games? Do you suppose there's a correlation? Vis a vis: when they don't ask him to play "don't lose" football and let him play the game to win, he plays his best football?

?
interested to see how he plays this wkd. The defense will slow Brady. Hopefully our offense and qb put up enough points to win. 

Edited by kbarrettb

Josh Allen is a QB who needs to be seen to be appreciated.  His game doesn't translate well to people who don't watch his games & only see a few highlights and a stat sheet.  Those of us who see every down he plays, including his teammates who love the guy, understand how clutch he is.

In a way the player at this point in his career that Josh reminds me of most is Eli Manning.  Living in Giants territory, I see the Giants more than any team except the Bills.  Now their games are entirely different, but I remember back in 2006 when some people around here who never watched Giants games were gleefully saying that JP Losman was a better QB than Eli Manning.  I had to explain to them the same thing that we now have to explain to people who don't watch Josh.  The guy is super clutch who wins games and has outsiders scratching their heads as to how he can be leading his team into the playoffs.  

Some QBs have to be seen to be understood.  Eli Manning during his early and prime years was like that & so is Josh Allen.  

Edit:  Here's a link to Eli's stats.  Notice how low his completion % was early in his career.  Also note that in his 2nd-9th seasons he never had a losing record.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannEl00.htm

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, kbarrettb said:

We did Allen was good that game. He had a high completion percentage and higher than normal yards throwing. Right now he’s had two weeks of crap completion percentage and under 150 yards throwing. That’s not good enough I don’t know where anyone who’s not a bills fan would say that’s good enough. 

So you consider barely 50% completion percentage and under 159 yards passing great? And a recipe for a super bowl? I don’t. Glad you do though. Keep it up. You’re clever. 

Damn your fantasy team must have taken a big hit, sorry for your loss.

You should start watching the actual games though, you might pick up on some things that you don't by just looking at the box score.

• Awesome! (+1) 3

3 hours ago, CLTbills said:

Yeah, well if Josh Allen hadn't had those incompletions, he'd have had a perfect day!

If the Steelers defense just wouldn't have given up those 17 points, they'd have had a better day than the Bills defense!

and if Eleanor Roosevelt could fly, the war would have gone very differently.

32 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I can’t believe so many people are offended. These guys are paid to run their mouths. Last year they all smashed on Lamar and how bad he sucked in the playoffs. This year, omg Lamar is changing the game and a true generational talent. They are complete extreme one side or another. The same tv guys talking bad about Allen will love him more than anything if/when he shows up in the playoffs. We watch his games, they do not. We see some little things they do not. Nothing to get all worked up over. 

you mean like when MNF joked about a playoff game in Buffalo in January with the harsh weather and people freaked out, some sent death threats...  :(

1 hour ago, kbarrettb said:

We did Allen was good that game. He had a high completion percentage and higher than normal yards throwing. Right now he’s had two weeks of crap completion percentage and under 150 yards throwing. That’s not good enough I don’t know where anyone who’s not a bills fan would say that’s good enough. 

So you consider barely 50% completion percentage and under 159 yards passing great? And a recipe for a super bowl? I don’t. Glad you do though. Keep it up. You’re clever. 

Ravens, Steelers, Bills and Pats are the best defenses in the NFL.  

They’ve made a lot of QBs look bad, nevermind a second year Josh Allen with limited weapons.  

Now, he needs to play better.   The excuses only go so far... that Ravens game could’ve been entirely different if Allen has any deep accuracy so far this year.  

However, he was incredibly raw coming out of college and has shown measurable growth in important areas.  If this is his floor...we’re in good shape.  If this is who he is...well then, we’re probably only as good as the weapons around him, and that’s not sustainable given QB contracts and cap space implications.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

However, he was incredibly raw coming out of college and has shown measurably growth in important areas.  If this is his floor...we’re in good shape.  If this is who he is...well then, we’re not. 

This.. I fully agree. 

50 minutes ago, kbarrettb said:

You would be right in your observation if teams got points for completion percentage and yards, but they don't.  They get points for putting the ball in the end zone or through the uprights.  Allen ran for the Bills first TD and threw to Kroft in the EZ for the second one. 

31 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Josh Allen is a QB who needs to be seen to be appreciated.  His game doesn't translate well to people who don't watch his games & only see a few highlights and a stat sheet.  Those of us who see every down he plays, including his teammates who love the guy, understand how clutch he is.

In a way the player at this point in his career that Josh reminds me of most is Eli Manning.  Living in Giants territory, I see the Giants more than any team except the Bills.  Now their games are entirely different, but I remember back in 2006 when some people around here who never watched Giants games were gleefully saying that JP Losman was a better QB than Eli Manning.  I had to explain to them the same thing that we now have to explain to people who don't watch Josh.  The guy is super clutch who wins games and has outsiders scratching their heads as to how he can be leading his team into the playoffs.  

Some QBs have to be seen to be understood.  Eli Manning during his early and prime years was like that & so is Josh Allen.  

Edit:  Here's a link to Eli's stats.  Notice how low his completion % was early in his career.  Also note that in his 2nd-9th seasons he never had a losing record.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannEl00.htm

I totally agree with this.  Eli's stats make him look pretty average.  He was also streaky, but when he was in his prime, he was less streaky and super clutch.  He beat the Patriots twice in the Super Bowl with clutch plays, most notably his pass to David Tyree in the Giants' second Super Bowl win over the Pats that spoiled their quest for a perfect season.

Which would you rather have?  Eli's average stats and 2 Lombardis or Rivers' great stats but never even making the Super Bowl???   I know which I'd rather have, but I don't play fantasy football so Ws count more for me than stats.

Edited by SoTier
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Start at 6:13. This is some of the most vehement hate for Allen I've seen. Methinks this should find its way to Josh...

Absolutely ridiculous!

Firstly I don't like anyone laughing at the Bills which they are doing a little bit. 

Other than that I don't read this as hate tbh. I read this as them not believing Allen is good enough! 

Some of it was harsh, the touchdown pass is not something to criticize. 

Their point is they are complementing the rest of the team at the same time by saying they would be superbowl contenders with another QB. I can't argue with that. The defence is more solid and reliable than the QB, I see it that way aswell..

Their quote 

'Teams are scared of that defence but there's no reason to fear that QB'. Obviously games we've seen back that up. 

I think this could well fire Allen up but I don't want to have to fire him up to be good. 

He's one of the most interesting players to watch because one minute he's bang average, the next minute he looks great.

Get the coach and QB right and the rest will follow. 

28 minutes ago, BuffaloSol said:

Damn your fantasy team must have taken a big hit, sorry for your loss.

You should start watching the actual games though, you might pick up on some things that you don't by just looking at the box score.

Lol ya I didn’t have him as my fantasy qb. I had Winston 

1 minute ago, loyal2dagame said:

It's well known that Dan LeBatard hates Buffalo and the Bills.  Nobody should be getting work up about this. 

how has anyone put up voluntarily with listening or watching Dan, ever?

43 minutes ago, kbarrettb said:

?
interested to see how he plays this wkd. The defense will slow Brady. Hopefully our offense and qb put up enough points to win. 

So all he has to do to prove himself to you is beat the league's best defense in their own building in a prime time game that they have to win?

Seems reasonable.

5 hours ago, Sundancer said:

A video of people giving their opinions? 

ESPN: We are The View, for men.

Have you not noticed that tons of folks here follow football like a soap opera and engage most heavily in the most soapy story lines?

Regarding the video: I didn't have a problem with it!  High praise for our D, our "win now" roster all over the field but at the QB position, and it asserts that Josh will struggle against good teams with good quarterbacks in the playoffs.

That's all accurate.  Josh hasn't had a good day against a good QB yet.

2 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Play well against the leagues best defence. Look in control. 

So forget what he's done against top pass defenses like Denver and Dallas, or how he handled himself well against Pittsburgh's top 5 pass D, and focus solely on this game?

I doubt that's what you're saying; I'm more pointing out that a bad game in this scenario shouldn't damper anyone's spirits regarding Allen.

I also expect him to acquit himself this Saturday; if he doesn't play well, it won't portend confidence in this team's ability to win on the road this postseason.