How is your family going to handle Thanksgiving?

stevestojan

On 11/25/2019 at 10:41 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So here's a question regarding maintenance of winning Game Day rituals.

We're now 2-0 in Bills games where I consume that bottle of Josh Cellers 2017 Cab Sauv wine, starting before kickoff and usually finishing in the 2nd half of the game.  Obviously the ritual must continue.

We will have 12 family members here for Thanksgiving.  Eating early (1 pm-ish) so that some of them can make a 4 hr drive home after the meal.  Most of the family are teetotallers - strict Southern Baptists - and my SIL no longer drinks alcohol.   I guess about 4 of us who would partake of wine at dinner.

Do I wait until most of the family leaves to open and drink the Josh, which might extend the opening until after kickoff, or even into the game? 

Or do I serve the bottle with dinner and likely have it consumed well before kickoff?  Dinner will be the traditional Thanksgiving lasagna (red tomato sauce) and garlic bread with veg sides, so it would be suitable.  Dessert will be pumpkin pie, the traditional cheesecake my MIL made, and brownies, so a bit heavy to consume the full bottle after dessert.

I'm leaning towards "serve with dinner", that as long as it's all consumed before the end of the game it should work.

As long as you still - consume that bottle of Josh Cellers 2017 Cab Sauv wine, starting before kickoff and finishing in the 2nd half of the game - it doesn't matter how you do it

1 hour ago, CLTbills said:

My in-laws understand my passion for the Bills and texted me a week ago... "so I guess we need to start dinner early, around 3, right?"

Love my in-laws. Haha.

my in-laws are nice, but my wife will get mad at me for being rude for watching games when her family is around. I do think my in-laws are planning a 2 pm eat time, so I should be pretty good. 

My sister, who is hosting this year and purportedly a Bills fan, didn't know the Bills are playing tomorrow and notified everyone that dinner will be served at 3:30pm (which means somewhere between 4:30pm and 5pm).  When I informed her the about the game she said the plan is to eat at the same time and to confiscate everyone's phones/iPads etc, record the game and watch it after we finish eating.

Edited by Haslett_Stomp
  • Sad 1

My sister is going to her inlaws, no other fam around....some friends invited us to a "mini" thanksgiving this evening...I said, "can I bring my grandma?", and since no one can say no to that, I don't have to do ANYTHING thanksgiving day.

Think I may build a fire in the yard and chuck a ball around with the kids until game time....

On 11/24/2019 at 2:38 PM, Blackkat19 said:

My wife has to work the whole day so I will be watching the game at home by myself.?

My wife also has to work on Thanksgiving too. Thanksgiving is on Wednesday(today). Leftovers and beer for Thursday.  By myself.  That's perfect in my opinion.

Edited by Pulled Hammies
  • Like (+1) 1

Going over to siblings house for dinner around 330.  Dinner at 4-430.  Plan is to have tv in dining room.  Personally, dinner takes a 1/2 hour.  It’s not the SB...just a regular season game.   I could do without the game for 30 minutes.  

Edited by LabattBlue

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

jFX0oUL.jpg

I'll be the only Bills fan in the house, but the good news is, it's at my house. So anyone who doesnt like me watching the game during dinner can pack up and gtfo. But it wont come to that, just having some friends and neighbors over for a very chill feast.

Damn!  Cat is proper. ?  (Can’t touch this.)

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
M.C.

Living in California, so that usually means dinner will be served at about the 3rd quarter of the game.

It's just the family so it will be simple and quiet. 

I want to watch the game in it's entirety, so I will have to DVR it and disconnect from all social media in the interim.

If I am able to catch up after dinner, I will be on here cheering or suffering with the rest of you.

45 minutes ago, Pulled Hammies said:

My wife also has to work on Thanksgiving too. Thanksgiving is on Wednesday(today). Leftovers and beer for Thursday.  By myself.  That's perfect in my opinion.

You are absolutely right. I can watch the game with out being disturbed and my wife wont be there to tell me to calm down when I get upset when the Bills do something stupid. ? 

Edited by Blackkat19

52 minutes ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

My sister, who is hosting this year and purportedly a Bills fan, didn't know the Bills are playing tomorrow and notified everyone that dinner will be served at 3:30pm (which means somewhere between 4:30pm and 5pm).  When I informed her the about the game she said the plan is to eat at the same and to confiscate everyone's phones/iPads etc, record the game and watch it after we finish eating.

Purportedly is right. I’ve been there.

“This game is not that important.”

“You say every game is important.”
“Who cares that it is on Thanksgiving— what does that matter?”

“You can just watch it later.”  

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

my in-laws are nice, but my wife will get mad at me for being rude for watching games when her family is around. I do think my in-laws are planning a 2 pm eat time, so I should be pretty good. 

I would get mad at her family for being around while the game is on! Priorities! 

Edited by YoloinOhio