Bills at Browns Post Game Post Mortem

2 minutes ago, Success said:

I was happy w/ his play overall, also.  I find the over-the-top criticism of him to be irrational - he deserves some blame, but he's actually progressing fairly well for a 2nd year guy.

Not sure what people expect at this point of his career.

I agree.  He led what should have been a game-winning drive, and then followed it up with what should have been an over-time-forcing drive.  Clearly not a perfect game by any means, but he was fine.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, dubs said:

Blaming play calling is ignorant. 

these players need to make plays. It starts with Allen and the Oline.

the NFL isn’t techmo bowl when picking the wrong play is a jailbreak. 

OC can’t make the QB see receivers that are open.  He doesn’t read the whole field.  He consistently doesn’t see open receivers

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PatsFanNH said:

Keep the faith my friend! Any given Sunday! I mean who expected the chiefs to lose to Tannahill and the Titans! (And Mahomes had a killer game I think over 409 yards and 3 TDS?)

Thanks, but today was a special kind of incompetence on coaching and execution.  It's always something each week.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, london_bills said:

I'll stick my neck on the line. 

Josh Allen does not have it. 

I’ll stick my neck out and say no QB will succeed in this offense without a WR1 and a top notch RB. When you don’t give your QB the option to throw a quick check when they are giving you a 12 yard cushion, or you run a screen with no secondary target, you also have some OC issues. Josh’s proveit period will be next year for me.  What is he 18 games in ?? Kelly sucked in his first year here and he had 3 years of pro ball before that running an open gun offense. This kid came for a dink program. He is behind because of that.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, vincec said:

In order to create takeaways you really need to have a strong pass rush to force mistakes by the QB. And the Bills do not. That needs to be addressed in the offseason.

Agreed, but so frustrated that we’ve so heavily invested in the defense and they can’t stop the run or rush the passer.  

Just now, Nitro said:

Easy to say he was open but factor it that he might have been the third or fourth option and the pass rush forces the play.  

When do the excuses stop? Josh Allen has a problem with his long ball. Daboll literally gets WR open deep and Josh can’t hit them. Yes it’s a low percentage play but he hasn’t hit 1 this season.

Just a little reality check on what the Browns are. Their losses are to:

Rams

Pats

Seahawks

Niners

and they beat the Ravens.

My biggest comlpaint wasn't with Allen's 266 passing...it was the last several plays and the 3 yard throws not playing for the W. Jauron-like offensive feel to that.

Edited by Sundancer

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

The half that I saw Allen was playing very well and had several plays where you could tell the route combinations were immediately known by the Defense, and the offensive line was completely beat on the jump... 

NcDermott needs to drink a few beers at half and loosen up.  That overly careful act loses you more games than win.

11 minutes ago, par73 said:

The end of that last drive was brutal. Where was the urgency to score-- or at least get closer? Did they really think that kicker was going to hit from 50+?

I was thinking 7 the way we aero moving the ball.  Like many drives we stalled again.

Just now, whatdrought said:

If a QB missing one low percentage pass is why he's being blamed for the loss, the fanbase doing the blaming has mental health issues... which makes sense given the context. 

This seems like a fine statement. He outplayed Baker from the 10 minute mark of the 3rd forward from what I saw.

Lol. “Low percentage” pass? There was no one within 10 yards of McKenzie and it wasn’t like Allen had to heave it 80 yards downfield to get it to him. Bojo could have punted it up to McKenzie and got it closer. 

seriously hope you’re joking. Those passes are only “low percentage” for Allen. God his excuse makers never stop...Allen and his long ball yips cost them the same amount of points as Hauschka today. 

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Conlan58 said:

Lol... "missing one". Next one he hits will be his first, so I'm not sure how you can justify that take, but to each their own.

I don't have to justify the take you think I am, because you completely misread the context. 

I asked how Allen was to blame for this loss, some poster quoted that specific throw. I said that if that one throw is why Allen is getting blamed by the luddites in this thread, then they're mentally handicapped. 

4 minutes ago, vincec said:

In order to create takeaways you really need to have a strong pass rush to force mistakes by the QB. And the Bills do not. That needs to be addressed in the offseason.

This. In those critical late game situations against competent QB's, an ELITE defense has playmakers in the front 7 disrupting timing and MAKING A play.

This is two weeks in a row without a turnover. 

Good defense. Not good enough to carry this team considering the anemic offense. I feel like if the Bills wanted to make a run THIS season, they would have needed to add a Clark or a Clowney. 

In the grand scheme of things, the defense is not the problem and Allen/playcalling/entire offense need to improve or the ceiling is low. But for THIS season, that dynamic player in the front 7 could have changed things.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tcali said:

good point. but at some point you have to trust/teach/give up on??? JA to see if he will ever learn to throw a deep pass.

Yes, Josh has a big problem with long passes.  My point was 3rd and 3 is not the time to fix that!

• Like (+1) 1

Last year we saw constant progress this year is more puzzling. But while he didn't play great, Josh has only thrown ONE interception in the last 5 games! ONE. So for such an inaccurate, horrible decision QB, he is doing quite fine! All without the support of a running game... O just wish he'd hit the deep balls since with his cannon arm it would be amazing. This year he's missed them all! Crazy. Even his worse critics didn't expect that! But chill out with him being so horrible!