Josh Allen - week NINE report card

rayray808

41 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And again Wilson was drafted in the third round, not the first.  His first year the Seahawks went 11-5, not 6-10.....  The team went 11-5, 13-3 & 12-4.....  There defense was much better.  Take a look at their points differential too where they didn't need 300 yards passing.

The Bills are 6-2 granted but a point differential of 27 and every game they needed to put up points & move the ball in the fourth. 

Can compare some things about them, but the teams surrounding them were different.  

Not speaking for dnveu, but I think what he is getting at is that the manner in which the Seahawks handled Wilson as a rookie could be a decent model fro how the Bills should handle Josh Allen NOW.

You are correct that there are little similarities between the two of them in their rookie seasons. Wilson joined a team with a superior defense with a somewhat established running game already in tow. Allen joined a team last year with a defense that was still trying to find itself and with a supporting cast that was REALLY bad.

Now, the Bills' defense is stronger -- still need to fortify the run D -- and the supporting cast is MUCH better than it was last season at all levels (RB, OL, WRs). Had Josh played smart-but-unspectatcular football (like he did yesterday against the Redskins), the Bills win the majority of their games in similar fashion --  and probably would have beat the Patriots back in Week 5.

Edited by 2003Contenders
  • Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

...And Tyrod level is what we are getting. I think Allen is being misused.

And that is exactly the same mistake that Chicago has done with Trubinsky & Jacksonville with Bortles & when needed we know Bortles is a Bust (watch The Good Place to see what a joke he is) and Trubinsky looks to be headed that way too.

Got to see what the Bills have in Allen!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And that is exactly the same mistake that Chicago has done with Trubinsky & Jacksonville with Bortles & when needed we know Bortles is a Bust (watch The Good Place to see what a joke he is) and Trubinsky looks to be headed that way too.

Got to see what the Bills have in Allen!!!!!

I don't think they need to see what they have in allen necessarily.  There's a lot of guys on the team and they prepare for each game with the sole goal of winning.  Do what it takes to win.  I don't know if they "sheltered" him in that skins game, but it seemed like they felt like why bother passing at this point?  The Redskins can't/won't score.

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And again Wilson was drafted in the third round, not the first.  His first year the Seahawks went 11-5, not 6-10.....  The team went 11-5, 13-3 & 12-4.....  There defense was much better.  Take a look at their points differential too where they didn't need 300 yards passing.

The Bills are 6-2 granted but a point differential of 27 and every game they needed to put up points & move the ball in the fourth. 

Can compare some things about them, but the teams surrounding them were different.  

I mean - Here's Wilson winning in 2012 14-12 on the "fail mary" (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201209240sea.htm) with a cool 130 yards passing.  

FWIW Seattle's record through 8 games was 4-4, and they had a Point Diff of 6 points...

I only bring this up because you state that Wilson plays "fun football" yet his development curve began with... "1960s Football"

9 minutes ago, syhuang said:

I was just going to post this.

The 1st 4 games Josh was let go and threw a lot more than most of us thought.

Results were 3 passing TDs and 6 INTs.

2nd 4 week seem to have instilled some control on his game.

Results were 7 passing TDs and 1 INT.  That's a season rate of 28 TDs and 4 INTs!

All this without his rushing stats.

I like everyone am looking forward to the next 4 games to see if something changes.

Maybe it's my age but I'm still patient with him.

B- a solid game where he did mostly managed the game and closed it out when needed. The coaching left 3 points on the board due to an idiotic decision to run it up the middle on 4th and 1 when they had failed many times to get a 1 yard game thought that same message. Josh avoided turnovers and came up big when needed (his only fumble was due to an idiotic play call.) 

He and the offense did stall at times and they let the Skins hang in the game. However overall I think Josh did what the gameplan called for and did it fairly well. 

24 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

No one needs Tyrod level, Tyrod level could be as bad as 10 for 24 for 78 yards. 

It is weird how quickly people forget How bad things can get. Could you imagine this board if JA went 10/19 84 yards and an INT. 

Thankfully we have avoided that type of QB play with Josh. ??‍♂️

11 hours ago, dneveu said:

How many times did Wilson throw for 300 yards in his first 16 starts?  0 times. 

How many times did he throw for 300 yards in his first 2 years in the league?  Including playoffs... 3 times.  

Interesting you said first 16 starts, because his first 300 yard game was...IN THE PLAYOFFS, of his rookie year...

And yes, per another thread, it seems as though QBs who take longer to have a SINGLE 300 yard game early in their careers (total start) have not generally become franchise QBs. Josh can do it, but he would be the first as he pushes toward the back end of year two, and 20 starts without one. 

On 11/3/2019 at 2:03 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

This.

That long ball to Foster was another frustrating long miss, but I really don't care about those passes if he's hitting the other ones.

What about the missed DPI by the refs on that 3rd down pass from Allen? And icing on the cake there was McDermott not throwing the challenge flag.

Allen REALLY needs to work on protecting the football as teams now know he has fumblitis, but as a passer, Allen's been really good.

My problems have been with Daboll and, to a lesser degree, McDermott.

He did get hit on the long ball, it was completely an arm throw. Amazing he was able to throw it that far without any legs. I hope the long balls connect soon though, they are fun to watch.

9 minutes ago, dasaybz said:

Allen reminds me of Big Ben's first 3 years. It took him 5 seasons to be a 4,000 yard passer. Really impressed he's at 60% this year. That's very encouraging. 

He plays so similar to Big Ben the first couple years. I would be stoked if he became that good. I consider Ben a franchise guy. 

On 11/3/2019 at 2:47 PM, Hebert19 said:

Btw on his deep passes...I'm still convinced it's a simple fix.  Trajectory.  Put more air under it. 

During the New England game, the interceptions came when he had a defender in his face and he ended up with too high of throws that the defenders had time to get to and pick off. Since then, he does seem to not be putting enough air under the deep throws.

• Like (+1) 1