What "type" of fan are you? Coming clean

I am a Bills fan from the day I started watching football.  There was no father who was a fan telling me who to watch or teaching me the intricacies of the sport.  I liked all sports & cheer for the local teams.

I have no deep knowledge of the draft or know all the starters at each position or get very excited about trades or drafting on the offensive line or linebackers & DB's.  I want them to perform and cheer for them.

I will see who the Bills drafted, the scouting reports, rating draft picks by team (i.e. ABC....) & that's about the end of it for me.  

I do not & will repeat it play fantasy football.  I do a weekly pool vs. the spread & that is it.

I am however a fan of QB's, passing yards, WR's & having a productive exciting running game (not 3 yards & a cloud of dust).  I want to see the offense score 35 points, throw for 300+ yards & move the ball up & down the field.  The Kelly K-gun Bills were the best.  The Buffalo Vs. SF No punt game was the best game I ever saw.

So yes when I hear McDermott talk about "THE PROCESS" and "CHARACTER" players and intimate they want to grind out games, make few mistakes & his idea of a great win is 14-10 (and we do know that is his attitude) it rankles me.

I am a fan and exciting is 35-31, not 17-14.  

And yes I think Allen can be that franchise QB, because if he is not, the Bills are back to square one.

Some of you just want wins (of course we all do), but again I too want to be entertained, and frankly the Bills are not a fun team to watch.

So tell me why you watch & what you want from the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

For bills I just want to see wins, doesn't matter how they win. For entertainment there are other high scoring teams to watch. I wouldn't mind seeing bills being a high scoring team but if they couldn't stop anybody than that would not be so much fun. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My dad was a big soccer guy, I hated it. I saw football on TV a few times and I gravitated towards Jim Kelly and the Bills and just kind of stuck with them since. I grew up in the Bronx. I remember taking a football stars book out of the school library in like 1990 and reading about Jim and being fascinated. football became a huge part of my life. I watched a ton of it, played through middle school, high school, and college, and am a varsity football assistant coach, and have been for 12 years and I focus on linemen. I love the game, teh strategy, the chess match. As a coach I understand that you aren't going to win pretty all of the time and sometimes it's going to be a grind and a war. I love watching games like that. I watch the coverages on the back end, what the offensive linemen are doing, who is blitzing etc. I for one loved the defensive slugfest that was last year's Super Bowl. I watch because I love the game as it is the best team game around. 

That said, the best way for this team to win is to grind out games and win 17-14. They ain't gonna blow people out. They simply do not yet have the horses to do this. And while this team perhaps is a bit boring to watch, one of the reasons they struggle from time to time is because they don't do enough boring stuff, like establishing the run game and playing gap sound defense. Those are the boring things they are not doing well. This team is built to grind, and there is potential to do more as well. I'd like to see them take a few more shots down the field and blitz. But again, those big plays will come with play action once they establish the run.   

• Like (+1) 5

Other than when a game is actually being played, I am a fan who is anticipating the next game, and generally reviews past performance as it applies to the next game(s).  This is why a well played game and a close loss to the Patriots is much more satisfying than a poorly played game that resulted in a win over the Dolphins.  In this particular example, the Dolphins game was a clear barometer that the next game against the Eagles could  be a disappointment.    Even though the Eagles game was a debacle, the entire Redskins season is a debacle, so the Bills should appear to bounce back against the Redskins.  I hope the Bills win and play a well game planned well executed game this week. 

I don't understand fans who think there is no connection between past performance and future performance. 

Edited by PlayoffsPlease

Ok, I'll play.

I was 4 years old sitting in the stands for the first game at the Rockpile, so I've been a fan as long as the team has existed.  Unlike the OP, I like old fashioned football.  I like defense, I like guys imposing their physical will on the opponent.   I don't think a  35-31 loss if we throw for 300 yards is better than a 17-14 win, as has been expressed by some on the board this week.  The best game I ever saw live was the first AFL championship game, and the best play I ever saw was Stratton's hit on Lincoln.  Not that I don't appreciate offense, like many I sat in awe of OJ in his heyday, and with Jimbo, Thurman, Andre, and the K gun.  But as long as football has been played, the team that physically beats the other team wins games and wins championships.

I sit in my basement with the NFL package and scream at the TV every Sunday afternoon.  I can't tell you how many times I've screamed "Throw the ball!!" this year as I watch Josh Allen figuring it out.  Unlike some, I did not play a lot of football in my younger days, and thus I do not pretend to think I know more about the game of football than the guys coaching the Bills, who have dedicated their lives to the sport.   I have my doubts about certain things, like play calls, etc., and express my opinions.  But I am realistic enough to know that the coaches have reasons for what they do, even if it sometimes doesn't work.  Ultimately the management of the team will be judged on wins and losses; do good and they stay and do bad and they'll get fired.  I hope for the former, and if the latter happens it happens.

I am not one who is prone to wild swings in emotion.  I don't think the Bills were a phenomenal, can't miss team, last Saturday, and I don't think they were a dumpster fire at 4:30 last Sunday.  They stunk last Sunday, it happens, now we see how they adjust.  When I read the negatives on this board after games like the past Sunday, and how the over-reactions occur (ifre this guy, cut that guy), I just kind of smile and shake my head.  Because I have the blessing of history, and I think of what would have happened back in the late 60'/early 70's if the Internet had been around, and what would have been said about Harvey Johnson and John Rauch, or the early 80's with Hank Bullough. 

I tend to be optimistic about my team because I see no compelling reason why I should be negative.  I don't see what one gets out of being constantly negative about a team one purports to root for, other than it being some kind of psychologic defense mechanism.  I believe that every successful organization has a plan, or call it a process if you like, to become so.  I believe every successful organization I have ever worked for and/or seen also has a successful organizational culture that defines what the organization stands for, and how they drive their success.  So I believe criticism of our current staff and their emphasis on process, is completely misplaced.

I hope that the Bills win one Super Bowl before I die.  And that the Sabres win a Stanley Cup.  I hope that the Bills marketing department saw my daughter's video and that they bring her in to sing the anthem one time before a game.  I hope the young guys on this team become stars, and that McD becomes our best coach of all time.  So basically I have hope.

I am a Bills fan now and until I die.  Because they embody so many things that are right and good about my hometown.  They made my hometown a major league city, and for that I will be always grateful.

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

beaten, battered and broke down. if they don't turn it around soon I wont live to see a competitive team?

basically a bills fan.

Serious question: are you beaten, battered and broken down because of your job and life or the Bills? Not meant to be a joke, I just can't tell from your post.

Been a Bills fan since Kemp and Lincoln days. Loved Lustig's soccer kicking.

Never missed a home game tailgating for 17 years through 80s and 90s. Hated many Mondays but loved Sundays.  Still have the first t shirt from the stadium wall tailgate party. All that was ruined  first by Donahoe then Dick Jauron. Could not put up with lack of passion and the diassappointment. 

Today I read about Bills everyday. I follow Twobillsdrive. I even buy jerseys ( got Josh's this year). I even have 2 copies of the Canton newspaper from the day Kelly was inducted.

I struggle to watch many games because I hate dissappointment. I p.v.r. every game on tv and watch only if they play well. Call me fairweather fan, that is ok but I have found that life is too short to feel that much dissappointment. It does not make me less passionate.

Go Bills.

Just now, Dopey said:

Serious question: are you beaten, battered and broken down because of your job and life or the Bills? Not meant to be a joke, I just can't tell from your post.

as a bills fan only. life outside of football has been the total opposite, couldn't of been better. the OP was asking "what type of fan are you" and if you're a bills fan and you haven't been beaten, broke down and battered then I don't know what you've been watching?

• Thank you (+1) 1