Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Royale with Cheese

Bills Wire suggests Daboll a candidate for the Redskins opening.

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I will bet money on Daboll or Frazier not getting head coaching job.  Daboll’s resume is pretty crappy and he would be Freddie Kitchens. Frazier is basically bringing Jauron back. 

 

And in a way, I admire how delusional Rex is.  He probably looks in the mirror and seems himself all jacked. 

I wouldn’t be shocked if Frazier gets another shot at HC, but he appears to be one of those guys who is much more suited to be a coordinater. Daboll, I think if Allen develops into what we all want him to be in the next couple years he could be a hot name for HC. 

Edited by Speedy Beebe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, dous21 said:

I really wouldn't mind letting him go tbh

 

Daboll is nothing special. In fact I believe with a better OC Allen could be a much better QB.  Take someone from Andy Reids staff. 

 

Still a little early to arrive at this conclusion about Daboll.  Yeah, he's failed as OC in the past on some bad teams; Miami, Cleveland, and KC, all which had little talent at QB and the offensive side of the ball.  We have added talent this year, but still have room to improve.  I wouldn't judge Daboll on last year.

 

Josh Allen's problems are more a result of poor decision making (ints) and not Daboll's fault.  Daboll has tried to drill it into Josh to look for the safe out, rather than force the long ball when nothing is there.  The Bills offense has not implemented Daboll's complete offense yet due to Josh still learning the NFL QB position.  More time is needed at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2019 at 9:37 AM, That's No Moon said:

I realize there are only 32 HC jobs in the world and, in order to coach at this level at all, these guys have pretty hefty egos. However, anyone who thinks about taking that job without strongly considering the ownership and upper management disaster that team has been for so long is just being foolish.  

So true.  Snyder has been messing up for 20 plus years down here.  The Pegulas, after a few mistakes, have let Beane and McD run things which is the smart play since they're football people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

 

Still a little early to arrive at this conclusion about Daboll.  Yeah, he's failed as OC in the past on some bad teams; Miami, Cleveland, and KC, all which had little talent at QB and the offensive side of the ball.  We have added talent this year, but still have room to improve.  I wouldn't judge Daboll on last year.

 

Josh Allen's problems are more a result of poor decision making (ints) and not Daboll's fault.  Daboll has tried to drill it into Josh to look for the safe out, rather than force the long ball when nothing is there.  The Bills offense has not implemented Daboll's complete offense yet due to Josh still learning the NFL QB position.  More time is needed at this point.

 

My concern with losing Daboll is having churn at the OC position for our young, developing QB. Not that I so much love Daboll himself, although I am fairly happy with what I've seen so far. I'd like to have him around for another year for Josh's sake, and to see what we can do once the o-line AND wide receivers have been addressed.

 

I hope he doesnt try too hard to drill Josh into always taking the safe out. After going through so many conservative QBs who were too scared of making a mistake, I'm fine with dealing with 1 mistake per game if the guy is trying to take shots downfield. Emphasis on 1 mistake per game (Tenn) as opposed to 3 or 4 (New England).

 

Even Eric Wood said on WGR this week that Josh's risk taking is a breathe of fresh air compared to the conservative QBs he played with while on the Bills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

 

My concern with losing Daboll is having churn at the OC position for our young, developing QB. Not that I so much love Daboll himself, although I am fairly happy with what I've seen so far. I'd like to have him around for another year for Josh's sake, and to see what we can do once the o-line AND wide receivers have been addressed.

 

I hope he doesnt try too hard to drill Josh into always taking the safe out. After going through so many conservative QBs who were too scared of making a mistake, I'm fine with dealing with 1 mistake per game if the guy is trying to take shots downfield. Emphasis on 1 mistake per game (Tenn) as opposed to 3 or 4 (New England).

 

Even Eric Wood said on WGR this week that Josh's risk taking is a breathe of fresh air compared to the conservative QBs he played with while on the Bills.

 

Brian Daboll will probably be here at least another year, if not more.  He hasn't shown enough that others around the league will take notice at this point.

 

I'm sure Daboll knows Josh is a gunslinger and there is a fair amount of risk with him that is ingrained.  I think Daboll is trying to eliminate the "stupid" risks when nothing is there, which leads to interceptions.  Josh's accuracy on the long ball is not good right now, so he probably should be looking at somewhat shorter routes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s stop pretending  Daboll wouldn’t leave for a head coaching opportunity.  This isn’t the patriots he isn’t saying “nope I’m not ready yet”. You never know if your gonna get a chance again. He is outa here if he gets offered a HC job. 

Edited by Estelle Getty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...another positive for the Deadskins (DIS) organization for Daboll to ponder......George's kid is Danny's empty suit..........

 

Love, Hate and why I'm done with Bruce Allen

Matthew BerryESPN Senior Writer

 

As you might imagine, especially given my position, I have heard it my entire life.

It's been yelled at me, tweeted at me, asked pointedly to me on radio and TV shows, and it's been an accusation I've gotten from a few of my current co-workers.

 

Fantasy football ruins the game.

 

I remember former NFL quarterback Jake "The Snake" Plummer talking to ESPN about fantasy football. "I think it has ruined the game," he replied. "There are no true fans anymore. ... If I lost a game ... no Denver [Broncos] fan was mad because I lost, but happy because I threw three TDs."

 

Former NFL coach Todd Haley, a true football guy, told Peter King, "It's anti-team. The way fans looked at what we did on offense was so fantasy football-driven."

 

https://www.espn.com/fantasy/football/story/_/page/TMRlovehate191010/matthew-berry-love-hate-fantasy-football-picks-sleepers-busts-week-6

 
 
Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

 

Brian Daboll will probably be here at least another year, if not more.  He hasn't shown enough that others around the league will take notice at this point.

 

I'm sure Daboll knows Josh is a gunslinger and there is a fair amount of risk with him that is ingrained.  I think Daboll is trying to eliminate the "stupid" risks when nothing is there, which leads to interceptions.  Josh's accuracy on the long ball is not good right now, so he probably should be looking at somewhat shorter routes.

 

The decision makers in the NFL never cease to surprise. I bet most fans didnt think McVay or anyone from his tree were ready or known yet. But they all have HC jobs now. Did anyone think Tomlin showed enough before he landed the Steelers job?

 

I'm not arguing against you, and I'd love to see him stay. But there is a dirth of HC options, and everyone is hot on Offensive minds, so I wouldnt rule it out completely.

 

Besides Washington, I could see Denver as an option if Elway retires and they clean house. If Atlanta wants to switch to an Offensive coach and not re-tread any of the old HCs on their current staff, I could see that as a spot too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sexy Rexy said people will line up for that job, and he’d take it. Snyder deserves him, and a first rate candidate would/should wait for a better job. Like Cleveland, hard to win with a lousy owner. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, WhoTom said:

 

When your players have enough talent and experience, you can run an offense that says, "Here's what we're going to do; try to stop us."

 

We're not there yet, so his "system" is:

  • be unpredictable
  • maximize the offense's strengths
  • minimize the offense's deficiencies
  • exploit the opposing defense's weaknesses.

 

I get that, but unpredictability is the only area I actually see. I don’t think Daboll really has maximized the offense’s strengths, or masked deficiencies. He hasn’t called this offense consistent with the fact that we have an elite defense with a young QB. The run game and high percentage short passing games are crucial with an elite defense. I see too much of an emphasis on establishing the passing game at times when the running game needs to be used.
 

Josh Allen is not ready to consistently take over games at this point in his career. Our offense needs to be a team effort, and sometimes it feels like our play calling is placing too much on Allen’s shoulders imo. Daboll began the season by having Allen throw on 17 consecutive plays against the Jets. That’s absolutely absurd for any team that doesn’t have Brees, Brady, or Mahomes. Eventually incorporating Singletary helped us crawl back into that game. 

Edited by SirAndrew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heard this before.  He didnt even have any interviews last season.  I dont think it was due to a lack of requests.  I think he isnt interested at this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see what would be impressive about Daboll to the point where another team would want him as a head coach. Josh and the offense is still a work in progress and it isn't like the scheme is so unique and innovative either (It is a quality or at least decent offensive scheme but it isn't reinventing the wheel.) But then again I thought the same thing about Lynn and he got hired by the Chargers. So who knows, but I just think Daboll's head coaching aspirations will have to wait until after the 2020 season as I don't think the offense explodes in the second half of the season. But in 2020 adding a weapon or two to the skill position tree could have the offense and Josh position to be a top 10 unit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2019 at 9:39 AM, Lurker said:

 

Uh huh.

 

They're currently 12th in offense and should be top 10 after the Fins game...

 

By what metric?  They are 25th in points at 18 ppg.  19th in passing yards.  The rushing yardage has helped the offense total yardage.  Tied for 3rd in giveaways as well..  This isn't a good unit.

Edited by HeHateMe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2019 at 11:22 AM, billsfan89 said:

I don't see what would be impressive about Daboll to the point where another team would want him as a head coach.

 

What was impressive about Zac Taylor, Brian Flores, or Matt LeFleur? Taylor and Flores werent even Coordinators.

 

It isnt so much that Daboll has an amazing resume, more that there is a big lack of new coaching options in the NFL.

 

Teams are desperate, and there is a big push to bring in "Offensive Minds". He gets considered simply for being next in line.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

 

What was impressive about Zac Taylor, Brian Flores, or Matt LeFleur? Taylor and Flores werent even Coordinators.

 

It isnt so much that Daboll has an amazing resume, more that there is a big lack of new coaching options in the NFL.

 

Teams are desperate, and there is a big push to bring in "Offensive Minds". He gets considered simply for being next in line.

 

Sooooo....Rick Dennison the next HC of the Falcons?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

 

Sooooo....Rick Dennison the next HC of the Falcons?

 

LOL, maybe if HC stands for Head Custodian.

 

But I could see Blank bringing in Daboll, or even more likely Frazier. Especially after we make the playoffs this year.

 

edit: for that matter, if they clean house and fire Dimitroff as well (which is likely), I could see him bringing in Brian Gaine as GM, who would have a direct link to either of our Coordinators.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2019 at 8:09 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

Outside of Pettine...when have we lost a coordinator to a HC job?  Marchibroda?

I'm sure if our defense continues, Leslie Frazier will get some consideration too.

 

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/09/could-buffalo-bills-brian-daboll-be-redskins-next-coach/

 

 

Heh and it worked so well for Pettine to take a HC job, any HC job.

If Daboll's smart, he'll do a Brian Schottenheimer "Thanks, I'm good here!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HeHateMe said:

 

By what metric?  They are 25th in points at 18 ppg.  19th in passing yards.  The rushing yardage has helped the offense total yardage.  Tied for 3rd in giveaways as well..  This isn't a good unit.

 

Well, you know, when I've focused on PPG I've always gotten pushback from folks who assert that yards per game is the official stat.  And by that YPG metric, according to Pro Football Reference, we're currently 10th after the Titans game.

But the metric that really matters is highlighted in yellow below.  However few or many points your D gives up, O gotta score more - and we have, 4 out of 5 times.

I don't quite follow your point about "the rushing yardage has helped the offense total yardage".  It's almost as though you feel rushing yardage is somehow a less legitimate contribution to offensive production, but that would be silly - you can't mean that, can you?

 

I would say this is a unit with a lot of promise - a unit that has consistently moved the ball but has shot itself in the foot with turnovers.  If we can rein that in, we can go places.

 


image.thumb.png.2663b08949bb7390b02b9675e0e42782.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2019 at 7:26 PM, SirAndrew said:

I get that, but unpredictability is the only area I actually see. I don’t think Daboll really has maximized the offense’s strengths, or masked deficiencies. He hasn’t called this offense consistent with the fact that we have an elite defense with a young QB. The run game and high percentage short passing games are crucial with an elite defense. I see too much of an emphasis on establishing the passing game at times when the running game needs to be used.
 

Josh Allen is not ready to consistently take over games at this point in his career. Our offense needs to be a team effort, and sometimes it feels like our play calling is placing too much on Allen’s shoulders imo. Daboll began the season by having Allen throw on 17 consecutive plays against the Jets. That’s absolutely absurd for any team that doesn’t have Brees, Brady, or Mahomes. Eventually incorporating Singletary helped us crawl back into that game. 

 

To be fair, at your 2nd point, we don't know how much Allen audibled into pass plays. Many of those 17 started with the Bills in a formation that looked like it was going to run only to split our fullback out wide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Well, you know, when I've focused on PPG I've always gotten pushback from folks who assert that yards per game is the official stat.  And by that YPG metric, according to Pro Football Reference, we're currently 10th after the Titans game.

But the metric that really matters is highlighted in yellow below.  However few or many points your D gives up, O gotta score more - and we have, 4 out of 5 times.

I don't quite follow your point about "the rushing yardage has helped the offense total yardage".  It's almost as though you feel rushing yardage is somehow a less legitimate contribution to offensive production, but that would be silly - you can't mean that, can you?

 

I would say this is a unit with a lot of promise - a unit that has consistently moved the ball but has shot itself in the foot with turnovers.  If we can rein that in, we can go places.

 


image.thumb.png.2663b08949bb7390b02b9675e0e42782.png

 

Well the Redskins D gives up 28 ppg, so maybe Daboll is exactly where he belongs for now....

Edited by Mr. WEO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Well, you know, when I've focused on PPG I've always gotten pushback from folks who assert that yards per game is the official stat.  And by that YPG metric, according to Pro Football Reference, we're currently 10th after the Titans game.

But the metric that really matters is highlighted in yellow below.  However few or many points your D gives up, O gotta score more - and we have, 4 out of 5 times.

I don't quite follow your point about "the rushing yardage has helped the offense total yardage".  It's almost as though you feel rushing yardage is somehow a less legitimate contribution to offensive production, but that would be silly - you can't mean that, can you?

 

I would say this is a unit with a lot of promise - a unit that has consistently moved the ball but has shot itself in the foot with turnovers.  If we can rein that in, we can go places.

 


image.thumb.png.2663b08949bb7390b02b9675e0e42782.png

 

I don't necessarily mean to crap on the rushing stats but we've had good run games in the past and still have had a pretty bad offense for several years. 

 

If it was flipped and the passing was top 10, I would be way more encouraged.

 

Yardage is nice and all but if you don't put up points and/or turn the ball over, that kind of kills your unit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...