Brian Daboll's nearly successful halftime adjustment: TJ Yeldon

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yes, I screamed at the TV last week when he fumbled that he should be cut, but here's an excerpt from Joe B's Athletic Observations on the game:

They tried running the ball up the middle with Frank Gore, which worked to a degree but never took pressure off Allen (and later Barkley). Whenever the Bills dropped back to pass, the Patriots went into attack mode, and Allen didn’t seem comfortable — except for one drive.

On the Bills’ opening drive of the second half, Allen seemed to temporarily graduate from his reckless decisions. It all had to do with a specific matchup that the Patriots couldn’t handle, and one that the Bills exploit until the second half. If you thought you noticed running back T.J. Yeldon in the lineup in the second half, that’s because you did. Yeldon ended the game with more time on the field than Gore.

Screen-Shot-2019-09-29-at-7.56.22-PM.png

It was a pass attack personnel that presented problems to the Patriots all second half. Dawson Knox, John Brown, Cole Beasley and Zay Jones joined Yeldon, and the Patriots didn’t quite know who to key on in the formation. Yeldon wound up being the mismatch, and he finished with 68 yards on only four receptions. Had the Bills spotted this earlier, it could have led to earlier success. It also would have taken some pressure off Allen, because in those formations the young quarterback looked more confident in his reads and delivered the ball with a purpose. 

Now Allen, for reference, was as awful as awful can be in the 1st half... well, maybe not Peterman awful, but awful nonetheless.

But know who his 1st completed pass was to in the 2nd half? Yeldon.

In fact on that 1st drive Allen completed a couple passes for 42 yards to Yeldon, and it just really seemed to open up the offense.

The snap count numbers above were pretty interesting.

No, I'm still not the biggest fan of Yeldon. But what I'm hoping is that when Motor gets back in the lineup this week (hopefully), he helps open up our offense a bit.

But I will say that I'm encouraged the team finally had a decent 3rd Quarter after all the putrid 3rd quarters we've had thus far.

(Allen was 7/11 for 93 yards, an INT, a sack losing 11 yards, and 2 rushes for 8 yards with a TD... not exactly anything to write home about, but much better than the 1st half)

Sure would be nice to put a whole game together.

Only one problem.  Yeldon was in the game for the final drives instead of Gore.  It's one of the many reasons we lost.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Knox was 3 of 3 in the passing game.  

Yeldon was 4 of 4 in the passing game and he had ZERO rushing yards 

Yeldon will not be a "featured back".  If he becomes one Zay Jones will become a #1 WR. 

I don't get the Foster and Yeldon love.  

No one wants Yeldon to be a feature back. But he could be a weapon.

Just now, Freddie's Dead said:

Only one problem.  Yeldon was in the game for the final drives instead of Gore.  It's one of the many reasons we lost.

Agree second to last drive when they passed three times with six minutes left was poor. But last drive Yeldon was the correct player to have on the field.

Yeldon is a perfectly fine role player, used to good results in that role in the second half. Now as for DiMarco .... I noticed a couple notable blocks thrown by the Pats backup FB yesterday, but have yet to notice DiMarco doing anything memorable this season (other than failing to pick up the guy who blocked the punt)

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Those draws would have stopped that zero blitz the Patriots run.

I would have liked to have seen a couple of RB screen passes too. Not sure why that wasn't part of the plan to beat the blitz.

16 minutes ago, corta765 said:

He sucked if he made the catch in the end zone instead of dropping it the Bills probably win. Mix in the fumble last week and I’m already set to cut him.

If fans ran a team there would be no players left. Except Allen. He alone is allowed to have poor plays and poor days.

15 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

No one wants Yeldon to be a feature back. But he could be a weapon.

Agree second to last drive when they passed three times with six minutes left was poor. But last drive Yeldon was the correct player to have on the field.

Sure  he has proved to be a minimal weapon in the passing game.   While in Buffalo I see nothing that shows he can be a replacement backup.  

Just convert Yeldon to a blocking TE and get a RB to spell Gore.  

20 minutes ago, MDH said:

I would have liked to have seen a couple of RB screen passes too. Not sure why that wasn't part of the plan to beat the blitz.

If fans ran a team there would be no players left. Except Allen. He alone is allowed to have poor plays and poor days.

Sorry catch the dam ball. I’m tired of the Bills giving free passes to guys like Jones and Yeldon on mistakes that prove costly.

51 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I'm sorry, what? 

Yeldon has been used as a blocker and a pass catcher (pretty decent catch rate) and  MO his few attempts as a RB were horrid. 

Forget the RB role and use him more as a TE.  

Ergo - convert him to a TE and leave the running to some semi decent runner.  

Gore had 78% of the rushes for 109 yds on 17 attempts, Josh the 22 %  for 26 yds on 5 attempts 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

Yeldon was also key in not picking up the outside rusher that hit barkley's arm on the interception.  The RT has to respect the guy moving to the inside and yeldon would then slide to chip the outside linebacker blitzing off the edge but instead he was  directly behind the guard and tackle.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I think he's a very solid #3 RB

we could do better, i think Murphy would have been better. Its water under the bridge but we should have kept McCoy over yeldon. Not sure why McBeane didn't make that move. McCoy could have made that one play that could have given us the victory.

18 hours ago, Helpmenow said:

This year or next year.

Both  :D

where's Murphy anyway??

18 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

We have one in Singletary. Yet he's hurt so have to go with the next man up.

should have kept McCoy over Yeldon, that would have been a killer backfield with Gore, McCoy and Singletary !!

21 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Daboll finally used Yeldon the way he was intended  to be used. 

Nothing Yeldon does inspires confidence. He juggles the ball on catches. When Yeldon runs with it I fear a fumble for some reason. Yeldon reminds me of the past 20 years worth of players who will not make a play when we need it the most. I miss Singletary.

Amen to that !!

Would like to a see a proset formation with two backs in the backfield where they use Gore in a RPO shotgun fake handoff and flood Yeldon out the backside wheel route. That kind of motion would make the Patriots commit to the run and open up the RB in the flat over a crossing WR route or the TE down the seam. 

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Both  :D

where's Murphy anyway??

should have kept McCoy over Yeldon, that would have been a killer backfield with Gore, McCoy and Singletary !!

Amen to that !!

Agreed if Shady would accepted being part of a committee system. 

On 9/30/2019 at 4:08 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Too bad Yeldon is mediocre. We really need an upgrade over him.

I don’t love yeldon either, but he’s a very good receiving back (meh RB). Better than gore, and maybe Singletary too at routes and catching. 

In this context, not sure how easy an upgrade is to find.  Kimera or McCaffrey being the gold standard imo

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I don’t love yeldon either, but he’s a very good receiving back (meh RB). Better than gore, and maybe Singletary too at routes and catching. 

In this context, not sure how easy an upgrade is to find.  Kimera or McCaffrey being the gold standard imo

should have kept Shady.

Yeldon doesn't inspire me in the passing game either. Just another guy.

On 9/30/2019 at 5:32 AM, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Daboll finally used Yeldon the way he was intended  to be used. 

Nothing Yeldon does inspires confidence. He juggles the ball on catches. When Yeldon runs with it I fear a fumble for some reason. Yeldon reminds me of the past 20 years worth of players who will not make a play when we need it the most. I miss Singletary.

I to see an undependable player in Yeldon. I cringe whenever they try to run with him. He has been more of a receiving threat even before he came here, yet he does seem to bobble the ball way more than anyone should. I wanted him cut and kept Murphy instead.

• Like (+1) 1