Josh Allen 2019 Regular Season at 58.8% Completion Percentage

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I'm not sure why people make excuses for Josh Allen. Allen's problem isn't accuracy, play calling, or players around him. He just processes the game a step behind where we need him to be. With experience hopefully he can process faster and faster.  He is developing. He does some things at a top 10 level. He's already one of the best in the redzone, more so inside the 10. He's learned to limit turnovers. Big test this week vs NE. 

Allen doesn't make the omg who are you throwing to throws that makes me think he doesn't process the game slowly.  His ints earlier this year were the forced throws into double coverage and since then are tipped balls of our own guys hands.  He's off on throwing to guys, or the guys just drop the balls.  Daboll also seems to be a problem imo along with not a lot of talent at the wr tight end position. Get him some weapons like  a kelce or hopkins who catch everything it seems. Easier said than done but that's gonna go a long way for Allen.  

Just now, thebandit27 said:

Biggest encouraging sign is that Allen thrives when the staff lets him play the game. It's when they try to protect him from being an NFL QB that he struggles. 

Let. Him. Play.

With nothing really to lose, they really should just let him rip it the next 2 weeks. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I'm not sure why people make excuses for Josh Allen. Allen's problem isn't accuracy, play calling, or players around him. He just processes the game a step behind where we need him to be. With experience hopefully he can process faster and faster.  He is developing. He does some things at a top 10 level. He's already one of the best in the redzone, more so inside the 10. He's learned to limit turnovers. Big test this week vs NE. 

For sure. That's always been the case since pre draft, as anyone that really took the time to watch him knew.

He's definitely processing faster than even earlier in the season, so that's very encouraging. I also think that taking the Mahomes/Goff/Trubiksy route of getting him a superior WR1 type that gains huge separation in a hurry (Hill/Cooks/Kupp/etc) will help him tremendously.

I am a Mahomes guy through and through, but even I admit that having superior targets has been a huge component of his early success 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Well if our defense sucked Allen might have a whole bunch of 300 yard games as he threw against prevent defenses every week!  I guess that would make some of you happy now wouldn't it?

I don't care about raw yards.

I care about averages and QB Rating. 

I don’t think there is any question that McD and Daboll hold Josh back from gaudier stats and think they can win most games scoring 17 points. There is a lot of evidence for it. Sure, his long ball has been atrocious and if he hit more he would have more yards and a few more TDs. But this is one of the most conservative philosophies (not play designs) in the league. 

He's a top 3 QB in the 4th quarter statistically. 

I would say that's a BS padded number for a QB on a bad team making lots of yards and TDs against prevent D. But the Bills have had a single game loss of more than 1 TD so that's not Josh's situation and in fact, almost all of the games this season have been crazy tight so in the 4th Q, the pressure has been super high on him. 

So he's statistically crazy good in the 4th Q. You can call it clutch or whatever you want, but I also wonder if the game play opens up a little. It sure is encouraging. 

Edited by Sundancer
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Again, he's been able to do these things because our defense allows 14 points a game.

What would he look like if he played on a team that allowed 24 points per game?

Our offense already struggles to score points. 

Well, I am on the Bandit, Cincy side of the argument. I think Allen is held back by a combination of lack of playmakers (which is not to dismiss Brown and Beasely, they raise the talent to competent) and also a conservative tendency that is the opposite of fearless. Given the strength of the defense and where Allen is at in the learning curve, that may make tactical sense, but I still believe they should unleash Allen and let him play.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

I don't care about raw yards.

I care about averages and QB Rating. 

Call me crazy: I care about wins. 

10 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Again, he's been able to do these things because our defense allows 15.9 points a game.

What would he look like if he played on a team that allowed 24 points per game?

He would be passing more and they would be running a different offense. That's what would be happening. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

I still think Allen's completion % is hugely due to our lack of talent on offense and the scheme

Daboll looks clueless almost every week calling plays, and we have one of the worst WR's groups in the NFL. 

hard to judge a QB with this kind of supporting cast. Allen has the tools he just needs some help now from his GM to get him weapons. 

Allens completion % would probably be 4-5% better right now if the Bills could ever figure out how to run a screen play! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Hard to imagine it'd go worse than the last pats game 

For sure. The Pats are a tough test for a young QB. Not only will they gameplan well, they will adjust well. And we know John Brown will be neutralized. 

It will be tough.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Indeed...but I believe that as long as they have a shot at the division, they'll stay with their "winning formula" of keep it close and unshackle Josh when they need a score.

I'm just spitballing here, but part of me wondered if the last matchup had to do with NE knowing Daboll's tendencies. Letting Josh direct the O in real time could remove that advantage. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I care about TDs and wins.

Seems more important.

So do I.

As I said yesterday though, only someone who completely lacks objectivity would think the defense hasn't overwhelmingly been responsible for our wins. 

Our offense and passing game by any metric you can look at is bottom 10 in the NFL.

Our defense on the other hand is truly exceptional. Them allowing under 16 points per game is the overwhelming reason we're 10-4 right now.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

2 things I believe Allen struggles at are selling screen and playaction. I think he's the main reason we do neither one very well.

In the Ravens game there was a screen that Singletary advertised the whole way which didn't go anywhere.  This is something these young uns will need to learn and develop better.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Well, I am on the Bandit, Cincy side of the argument. I think Allen is held back by a combination of lack of playmakers (which is not to dismiss Brown and Beasely, they raise the talent to competent) and also a conservative tendency that is the opposite of fearless. Given the strength of the defense and where Allen is at in the learning curve, that may make tactical sense, but I still believe they should unleash Allen and let him play.

I agree.

The next two weeks we have nothing to lose.

Turn him loose and see if he can handle a more wide open playing style. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

So do I.

As I said yesterday though, only someone who completely lacks objectivity would think the defense hasn't overwhelmingly been responsible for our wins. 

Our offense and passing game by any metric you can look at is bottom 10 in the NFL.

Our defense on the other hand is truly exceptional. Them allowing under 16 points per game is the overwhelming reason we're 10-4 right now.

This was true last year.  The offense has improved this year.

18 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

For sure. The Pats are a tough test for a young QB. Not only will they gameplan well, they will adjust well. And we know John Brown will be neutralized. 

It will be tough.

As I said before the week 4 matchup: work the backs and TEs. NE****** doesn't have the speed at LB to compete with Devin, Yeldon, and Knox...and they're going to commit to stopping Brown, Beasley, and Josh's running.

Just now, thebandit27 said:

As I said before the week 4 matchup: work the backs and TEs. NE****** doesn't have the speed at LB to compete with Devin, Yeldon, and Knox...and they're going to commit to stopping Brown, Beasley, and Josh's running.

Man, you've got to think McD and Daboll know this...right?

• Like (+1) 1

Basically, you have to take what any given team is giving you.

21 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

2 things I believe Allen struggles at are selling screen and playaction. I think he's the main reason we do neither one very well.

Can't do particularly good play action from the shotgun, which they are in a lot. I hate that they are in it so much but I get why they do it for the young QB. It's bad for play action and bad for the running game. 

No idea. It took Daboll 2-1/2 quarters to target either a RB or a TE in the week 4 contest 

Yeldon was effective in that game. 

29 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

So do I.

Our defense has scored zero points.

To say "overwhelmingly" would imply that the offense is inept (they're not bottom 10 in points; there are 10 teams that score fewer per game). The 2000 Ravens went 5 straight games without an offensive TD. That's inept. They won because the D truly carried them and scored points. Big difference.

The defense does their job very well. The offense is doing their job well enough.

Also, gotta be careful about "any metric"...

https://twitter.com/NFLMatchup/status/1206632368460763136

Edited by thebandit27
  • Like (+1) 3

No idea. It took Daboll 2-1/2 quarters to target either a RB or a TE in the week 4 contest 

At that point I'll give him a bit of a pass since all of the offensive pieces were so new (and he had no Singletary or Kroft).  After 14 weeks I'm hoping he has a good idea of what they need to do.

1 minute ago, eball said:

At that point I'll give him a bit of a pass since all of the offensive pieces were so new (and he had no Singletary or Kroft).  After 14 weeks I'm hoping he has a good idea of what they need to do.

No pass from me. If a moron like me knows what plays to call, then a pro like him should've known as well.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

No pass from me. If a moron like me knows what plays to call, then a pro like him should've known as well.

Daboll is a mixed bag for me. There is a really lot to like and equal amount to question. I fear however that he is as hamstrung from doing what he really wants to do by McD as Josh is from him. 

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

LOL fair enough, but the prospect of going into a game with Gore as the featured back and a rookie TE playing his 4th game wouldn't have given me much confidence in making them the focal point of the gameplan either.

10 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

How much of that do you place on Daboll?  Remember that was the scene of the infamous sideline eruption between the OC and QB.  I'm inclined to believe that whatever the plan was, the QB wasn't on the same page.

32 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I agree.

The next two weeks we have nothing to lose.

Turn him loose and see if he can handle a more wide open playing style. 

Then we can listen to you cry about an interception.  

10-4.        You were wrong.     Feel free to throw in the towel anytime.   

• Haha (+1) 1

I know people are going to take this comment and run way, far away, from its original intent but I want to post something just for a frame of reference.

Below is Drew Brees' first four seasons in the league San Diego (LA):

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% 1D Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV
2001 22 SDG   9 1 0   15 27 55.6 221 1 3.7 0 0.0 11 40 8.2 8.9 14.7 221.0 94.8   2 12 7.21 7.90 6.9     1
2002 23 SDG QB 9 16 16 8-8-0 320 526 60.8 3284 17 3.2 16 3.0 164 52 6.2 5.5 10.3 205.3 76.9   24 180 5.64 4.95 4.4 2 4 10
2003 24 SDG QB 9 11 11 2-9-0 205 356 57.6 2108 11 3.1 15 4.2 94 68 5.9 4.6 10.3 191.6 67.5   21 178 5.12 3.91 5.6 0 1 6
2004* 25 SDG QB 9 15 15 11-4-0 262 400 65.5 3159 27 6.8 7 1.8 142 79 7.9 8.5 12.1 210.6 104.8   18 131 7.24 7.78 4.3 1 2 1

This is his third year, second year as a starter....then see the rebound? It's a huge jump from 57% to 65%. As well as TD / INT ratio takes a drastic leap forward:

2003 24 SDG QB 9 11 11 2-9-0 205 356 57.6 2108 11 3.1

Edited by BigBuff423

5 minutes ago, GG said:

How much of that do you place on Daboll?  Remember that was the scene of the infamous sideline eruption between the OC and QB.  I'm inclined to believe that whatever the plan was, the QB wasn't on the same page.

Based upon the route concepts, a whole lot of it is on Daboll. The sideline spat appeared to be more about Allen's hero-ball than anything else.

20 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I dunno about that tbh, Van Noy and Collins on the outside can both move fine. Hightower is a plugger but they don’t really ask much more of him. 

1 minute ago, BigBuff423 said:

I know people are going to take this comment and run way, far away, from its original intent but I want to post something just for a frame of reference.

Below is Drew Brees' first four seasons in the league San Diego (LA):

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% 1D Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV
2001 22 SDG   9 1 0   15 27 55.6 221 1 3.7 0 0.0 11 40 8.2 8.9 14.7 221.0 94.8   2 12 7.21 7.90 6.9     1
2002 23 SDG QB 9 16 16 8-8-0 320 526 60.8 3284 17 3.2 16 3.0 164 52 6.2 5.5 10.3 205.3 76.9   24 180 5.64 4.95 4.4 2 4 10
2003 24 SDG QB 9 11 11 2-9-0 205 356 57.6 2108 11 3.1 15 4.2 94 68 5.9 4.6 10.3 191.6 67.5   21 178 5.12 3.91 5.6 0 1 6
2004* 25 SDG QB 9 15 15 11-4-0 262 400 65.5 3159 27 6.8 7 1.8 142 79 7.9 8.5 12.1 210.6 104.8   18 131 7.24 7.78 4.3 1 2 1

This is his third year, second year as a starter....then see the rebound? It's a huge jump from 57% to 65%. 

2003 24 SDG QB 9 11 11 2-9-0 205 356 57.6 2108 11 3.1

Wait, you mean the most accurate QB of all time wasn't born that way?

Many times this has been mentioned, but it remains a salient point 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

I disagree.

I think Allen is a bottom tier NFL QB. The stats agree. 

Just just happens to play on an elite football team (think Mitch Trubisky last year). 

Hopefully he takes a big step forward next year. 

A lot of people are comparing Allen to Mark Sanchez with how Sanchez was a young QB drafted in the Top 10 who was part of a good team or two in his first couple seasons in the league despite performing poorly statistically.

2 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

A lot of people are comparing Allen to Mark Sanchez with how Sanchez was a young QB drafted in the Top 10 who was part of a good team or two in his first couple seasons in the league despite performing poorly statistically.

A lot? I haven't seen even one.

And I don't remember Allen throwing 20 INTs as a rookie. Not do I remember Sanchez putting up back-to-back-to-back 100 yard rushing games.

I swear Wayne, it's like you sit around and think up weird stuff to say. It's funny, but sometimes I wonder about ya dude.

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

A lot? I haven't seen even one.

And I don't remember Allen throwing 20 INTs as a rookie. Not do I remember Sanchez putting up back-to-back-to-back 100 yard rushing games.

I swear Wayne, it's like you sit around and think up weird stuff to say. It's funny, but sometimes I wonder about ya dude.

Comparing stats is a losing battle, regardless of which side you are on.  

At the end of the day, JA has demonstrated the ability to read defenses and make high difficulty throws. That's the difference between him and EJ, Sanchez, or whoever else you want to point to. JA is making throws those guys couldn't dream of even attempting.  Is he top 10 right now? No. Is he bottom 10? No. 

• Like (+1) 2