How the Bills beat the Pats

Inigo Montoya

I think we will be competitive against the Pats this Sunday.  We will be the best team they have played so far.  I agree with Vegas that we are home underdogs but I think we have a real chance to beat the Pats this weekend.   I think there are several things that we can do to give us a better chance of winning.  The more of them we can pull off, the greater the chance of sending the Pats packing with a loss.

1.  We are going to need a defensive or special teams touchdown this Sunday.  I think our offense is going to need some help putting points on the board.  I think if we score 28 points this weekend we will have a real shot of winning with our defense standing tall.  If we can get a pick six or a return TD that means our offense only needs to score 21 points.  I think that is doable.

2.  We need to try and limit Edelman somehow.   He had his ribs barked up a little bit last week against the Jets but all reports are that he is going to play this week.  We need to finish our tackles on him and test out those ribs to see how good they really are.  Not cheap shots, but solid tackles.  He's a tough dude, but rib injuries suck and it's hard to breath when your ribs are screaming at you.  The other thing we need to limit Edelman is Taron Johnson back in the lineup as our slot corner.  Siran Neal is a thumper and has been playing well, but Taron Johnson is clearly a better coverage corner in the slot.  Look at how Jamison Crowder exploded after Johnson left the game during Week 1.  Edelman is a 1st down machine and we need to limit the damage.

3.  We need to bat down Brady's throws.  It's hard to get pressure on Brady because he gets rid of the ball so quickly.  It's easy to say we need to get some push into the pocket and get to Brady, but realistically, that ball will be gone in two seconds most of the day.  If we can't get to Brady with the rush, hopefully our D-linemen and linebackers can at least get some arms up and get a hand on some of Brady's passes, we can disrupt his rhythm and affect his accuracy and hopefully lead to a turnover.  That might help with #1 above, a defensive touchdown.

4.  We need to unleash Singletary.  This obviously depends on if he is available to play.  Hopefully Motor will be back this week and he can light up the Pat's defense a bit and keep them honest and stop the defense for pinning their ears back and coming after Allen all game long.  I bet that Daboll has a whole section of his playbook with plays designed  just for Singletary.  The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that Daboll has deliberately kept the wraps on Singletary waiting to drop him like a bomb on the Pats this week.  We need something on offense that will help even out the odds a bit.  I think Singletary is that something.

5.  We need to play clean football.  I have been impressed with our disciplined football so far this season.  We need to keep the yellow flags in the refs pockets.  We can't be giving the Pats any free yards or extra series.

6.  Josh Allen needs to run the ball.   Allen has made huge strides as a pocket passer this year and I have no problem with him throwing the ball 30+ times if we need to, but I think Daboll needs to tell him to not think twice about pulling the ball down and taking off this weekend.  He hasn't been running as much this year because he has had a better pocket to stand in and he hasn't had to run for his life as much. This week, instead of him running because he's about to get clobbered, I hope he looks for opportunities to pop through the line and get into open spaces and run the ball.  A running QB is a nightmare for a defense and it will force them to make all kinds of adjustments that will help Josh Allen the passer as the game goes on.  Being able to pop through the line for a quick and easy 5 yards is a great play if it's there.  It might also stop Allen from scrambling around the pocket when no one is open and trying to force a bad ball into coverage. (Hero Ball)  I wouldn't want him running all the time every week, but I think this is a match up where Josh's legs give this offense an advantage and we need to maximize every advantage we have if we are going to win.  

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 3

Play physical, close to the LOS, bring pressure while taking away the short/intermediate routes and exploit their weakness on the OL.  Like you said about Edelman, if he plays, they need to make him wish he took a week off. Clean but big hits.

Dare them to go deep, if the OL holds up and Brady’s arm can get it there so be it, but I like this defense’s odds of getting pressure against a unit featuring Marshall Newhouse on the blind side.

On offense, take some shots deep early, hoping it jumpstarts the offense, and at the very least keeps the defense honest.  Lots of play action & rollouts early.  I don’t want Josh sitting in the pocket wholeness Bellicheck throws the house at him.  Keep Josh moving around, keep the defense guessing.  Lots of motion and misdirection, PA, rollouts with more deepstuff.  Also cross our fingers Singletary is back, Josh would use a dangerous checkdown this week as well.

Edited by Dr.Mantis_Toboggan

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

They've played a pretty crappy schedule so far. Easily worse than ours in my opinion. Not sure we win just yet, but I think we'll give them hell on Sunday.  

Yes and thats why NE won those 3 games by an average of 29pts per.

If not for the 2 cheap tds the jets got your looking at 35 points.

BB game plan will be to spy and prevent Allen from running.  That's what they are going to say is the most threatening part of our O and will try to take that away.  You're going to see some interesting contain rushes on the edge especially to Josh's right.  They'll be blitzing from there a lot too.  

I'd scrap any thought of a running game with no Singletary and spread it out with lots of 4 wide sets.  And I'd go right at Gilmore early.  I'll take Smoky vs him all day he has a harder time with the speed guys.  Send a message we don't fear you.  We're coming.  

Put this all on Josh.  He can handle it.

Let Josh be Josh and let's go.  

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I think we will be competitive against the Pats this Sunday.  We will be the best team they have played so far.  I agree with Vegas that we are home underdogs but I think we have a real chance to beat the Pats this weekend.   I think there are several things that we can do to give us a better chance of winning.  The more of them we can pull off, the greater the chance of sending the Pats packing with a loss.

1.  We are going to need a defensive or special teams touchdown this Sunday.  I think our offense is going to need some help putting points on the board.  I think if we score 28 points this weekend we will have a real shot of winning with our defense standing tall.  If we can get a pick six or a return TD that means our offense only needs to score 21 points.  I think that is doable.

2.  We need to try and limit Edelman somehow.   He had his ribs barked up a little bit last week against the Jets but all reports are that he is going to play this week.  We need to finish our tackles on him and test out those ribs to see how good they really are.  Not cheap shots, but solid tackles.  He's a tough dude, but rib injuries suck and it's hard to breath when your ribs are screaming at you.  The other thing we need to limit Edelman is Taron Johnson back in the lineup as our slot corner.  Siran Neal is a thumper and has been playing well, but Taron Johnson is clearly a better coverage corner in the slot.  Look at how Jamison Crowder exploded after Johnson left the game during Week 1.  Edelman is a 1st down machine and we need to limit the damage.

3.  We need to bat down Brady's throws.  It's hard to get pressure on Brady because he gets rid of the ball so quickly.  It's easy to say we need to get some push into the pocket and get to Brady, but realistically, that ball will be gone in two seconds most of the day.  If we can't get to Brady with the rush, hopefully our D-linemen and linebackers can at least get some arms up and get a hand on some of Brady's passes, we can disrupt his rhythm and affect his accuracy and hopefully lead to a turnover.  That might help with #1 above, a defensive touchdown.

4.  We need to unleash Singletary.  This obviously depends on if he is available to play.  Hopefully Motor will be back this week and he can light up the Pat's defense a bit and keep them honest and stop the defense for pinning their ears back and coming after Allen all game long.  I bet that Daboll has a section of his playbook with plays designed  just for Singletary.  The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that Daboll has deliberately kept the wraps on Singletary waiting to drop him like a bomb on the Pats this week.  We need something on offense that will help even out the odds a bit.  I think Singletary is that something.

5.  We need to play clean football.  I have been impressed with our disciplined football so far this season.  We need to keep the yellow flags in the refs pockets.  We can't be giving the Pats any free yards or extra series.

6.  Josh Allen needs to run the ball.   Allen has made huge strides as a pocket passer this year and I have no problem with him throwing the ball 30+ times if we need to, but I think Daboll needs to tell him to not think twice about pulling the ball down and taking off this weekend.  He hasn't been running as much this year because he has had a better pocket to stand in and he hasn't had to run for his life as much. This week, instead of him running because he's about to get clobbered, I hope he looks for opportunities to pop through the line and get into open spaces and run the ball.  A running QB is a nightmare for a defense and it will force them to make all kinds of adjustments that will help Josh Allen the passer as the game goes on.  Being able to pop through the line for a quick and easy 5 yards is a great play if it's there.  It might also stop Allen from scrambling around the pocket when no one is open and trying to force a bad ball into coverage. (Hero Ball)  I wouldn't want him running all the time every week, but I think this is a match up where Josh's legs gives this offense an advantage and we need to maximize every advantage we have if we are going to win.  

I believe Allen will run the ball a lot.  I also believe Mr. Hyde will say hello to Edelmans ribs. Edelman will wish he was out this game.

If we win McDermott will ? and say "we played with a lot of heart".

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1

The defense just need to continue doing what they do, I think they will limit the Pats below what they normally do.

On offense play 80%+ of the time from the shotgun where Josh is at his best.  He sees the rush, scans the field and processes the game better from the shotgun.  Inject it with lots of variations of RPO's and let the chips fall where they may.

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

BB game plan will be to spy and prevent Allen from running.  That's what they are going to say is the most threatening part of our O and will try to take that away.  You're going to see some interesting contain rushes on the edge especially to Josh's right.  They'll be blitzing from there a lot too.  

I'd scrap any thought of a running game with no Singletary and spread it out with lots of 4 wide sets.  And I'd go right at Gilmore early.  I'll take Smoky vs him all day he has a harder time with the speed guys.  Send a message we don't fear you.  We're coming.  

Not sure if Allen is ready to go spread against Belichick, which means diagnosing the various pressure packages and quickly finding his hots. I expect New England to send delayed blitzes and some zone blitzes, and to often mix in no-blitzes where the d-linemen simply hold their lanes and read the QB. They want Allen holding the ball and getting nervous; trying to read downfield traffic as the D closes in. Gilmore will follow around Smoke Brown, while their LBs and safeties will try to hammer Beasley at every opportunity. We've seen it before. 

Can the Bills break out of that design? Can they make the Patriots back off?

We NEED to pressure Brady up the middle.

Put 6-7 players on the line and rush some drop some and let er rip.

We need to run the ball , including Josh, and spread the ball to all receivers and get turnovers.

3 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Do not put this all on Josh, everyone needs raise their level of play.

For the first time in a very long time I am going into Patriots week more worried about how we move the ball on them rather than how they move the ball on us. New England will score 21 points minimum. My struggle is seeing where the Bills get 21 from. The only matchup I like for our offense is Allen as a scrambler. I don't think they have to call a lot of designed runs, just call a lot of pass plays that are first read or takeoff. If that then forces the Pats to commit a man to spy then I think Beasley becomes a potential weapon and maybe even Knox but I am struggling to see where our big plays in the passing game come from. Hope I am wrong. This Patriots D is the best they have had since their initial success under Belichick. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Control the clock and grind it out on the ground. Do some check downs to Isaiah McKenzie Andre Roberts and Beasley. Open it up with shots down the field to Brown (maybe connect for once). Keep Brady off the field as much as possible!!!

On defense, bend but don't break! 

We can't kick field goals and win this game. We will have to take chances on 4th downs and go for the kill. 

Edited by Frez

6 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

We need to bat down Brady's throws.  It's hard to get pressure on Brady because he gets rid of the ball so quickly.  It's easy to say we need to get some push into the pocket and get to Brady, but realistically, that ball will be gone in two seconds most of the day.  If we can't get to Brady with the rush, hopefully our D-linemen and linebackers can at least get some arms up and get a hand on some of Brady's passes, we can disrupt his rhythm and affect his accuracy and hopefully lead to a turnover.  That might help with #1 above, a defensive touchdown.

i hope we are practicing defending the hurry up offense. i'm willing to bet that gets thrown at us a ton this week.  it's the best way to beat the crowd noise and for them to get up early.  the best defense for that is disguised blitzes.  if frazier thinks he just needs to rush 4, it's just gonna be a repeat of the last 20something losses to the pats.

• Like (+1) 1