Week 4: Pats (-7) @ Bills!!

dubs

3 hours ago, Success said:

It always feels a little like having a dentist’s appointment on a Sunday.

This is actually the first game I'm not stressed about at all. I don't feel that a loss this weekend hurts our playoff chances. The first 3 games I thought were extremely important in building a lead for the wildcard spot and we took care of business. This game will be a good test for where the Bills stand but I'm not nervous. If 2 of 6 losses come against the Patriots I'll still be happy.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

I’m probably one of the few that thinks this way but I’m sure I’m not the only one! I am dreading this game because every time we ever have something good going for us, we play the Pats, they destroy us AND leave us with a roster decimated with injuries which effectively complicates the rest of our season and we are usually left a shell of the team that we were prior to playing them. 

So if you ask me, they can have the win. With our schedule I will take 3-1 all day! BUT it’s the injuries I worry about. If we come out of this game unscathed that’s a win for me.

Heck I’d even go as far as saying let the evil genius game plan against Allen’s strengths and weaknesses all week long and then trot Barkley out there on Sunday. Throw a wrench in their game plan. Probably gives us a slightly better chance of pulling off the miracle honestly. And that’s no disrespect to Allen as much as it is just knowing their defense is lights out Belichik is a genius that will expose Allen’s weaknesses all day.......... but he wouldn’t be expecting Matt!

In the last 5 years we are 6-3 in the game immediately following the NE game, and of those 3 losses, the following weeks after that were all victories, ie, the Pats did not ever kick off anything more than a 2 game losing streak.

I also went back to 2005 and checked through 2008 and we also had a much better record immediately after Pats games than our general win percentage in those years. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Gary Busey said:

McDermott has built this defense to beat the Patriots. The Pats haven't seen a defense as close to as fast as the Bills this year. I'm confident about Sunday and am leaning toward picking the Bills. I think they keep the Pats under 22 points, but I'm not sure the offense is going to be able to put up that many on the Pats.

I’m feeling the same way. If New England can’t run the ball they are going to lose. 

Plus they have some statistical streaks going that have to get broken soon, like not giving up a defensive TD since the AFC Champship game.

The Bills in week 16 was able to move the ball on offense just like the Jets game but we kept shooting ourself in the foot and we couldn’t stop the run.

6 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Bottomline on defense is we need to do what we do best and invite NE to pass. The key will be playing a lot of underneath zone and knocking the hell out of NE WRs on crossing routes if Brady dares to throw underneath. Edelman got banged up pretty good and may or may not play. Flooding the short zones with heavy coverage will force Brady into holding the ball longer than he’d like & search deeper for WRs down field. He may connect on a few passes but that is okay, provided we hit him as he releases the ball. 

This is so key - make brady beat you with his arm - meaning take away the short passing game and make him complete more difficult intermediate and long throws.  Being in the same offense for 100 yrs the timing on the short throws is second nsture - but he has trouble even completing out patterns > 10 yds.  Plus the extra aecond to set for longer throws, the better chance to hit and aggravate him   i wouldnt be surprised either if theres a big emphasis on the DL getting their hands up to try to bat all the short throws - its been an emphasis all year, we have to be leading the league in batted passes if that is a stat.  Maybe some of that emphasis til now has been for this game. 

The next key then becomes not gettimg phantom PI penalties on long throws if they take those after weve taken the short stuff away.  That has been the bread and butter of Brady's "long ball" game - throw it up and get the phantom PI.  Perhaps Jerry should tweet about that as well.

The bottom line is i'd rather lose having them complete long throws then die from 1000 cuts from their short passing gane.

Edited by stevewin

9 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I actually do not know what the -365 line is- does it mean you get 365 if Bills win straight up on a 100 bet 

No it means you have to lay down. $365 to win a $100. Thats why i always look at the moneyline for accurate vegas view.

1 hour ago, Bills2ref said:

Disappointing that Edelman is looking like he will play 

If Taron Johnson isn't healthy, Edelman is going to be a problem on Sunday. I don't trust Siran Neal or Dean Marlowe there, so it's probably Kevin Johnson's role to match up. I don't think he's got the short-area quickness to contain Edelman.

31 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Belicheat is gonna run on us hard with Edelman limited...

good...I want them running against us. They havent proven they can run consistently and thats against bad teams, WITH their "cog" FB in the game. Their rushing attack last week was pathetic...give the ball to the RBs instead of the golden boy, please. 

3 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

good...I want them running against us. They havent proven they can run consistently and thats against bad teams, WITH their "cog" FB in the game. Their rushing attack last week was pathetic...give the ball to the RBs instead of the golden boy, please. 

I agree. The bills just faced Bell, Barkley, and mixon and came out on the other side 9th in rush yds allowed. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

The NE run game has definitely taken a step back without Trent Brown, Isaiah Wynn, and David Edwards, and I can't imagine that they won't feel the loss of Devlin as well.

That said, Coach Scarr always seems to be able to manufacture a run scheme that is effective in grinding out yards and keeping defenses honest.

• Like (+1) 1

My way of thinking is we beat them with a 2 tight end sets with Sweeney and Knox. Both are good blockers and they also can really catch the ball. This will be the first time in a long time we come into the pats game with the better TE. We must not be afraid to attack Gilmore. Smoke can beat Gilmore because he is smaller and quicker. That’s the kind of Receiver Gilmore can struggle against.