McCoy to Chiefs

mykidsdad

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Got no problem with this and good luck to Shady

but like I said......follow the money.   We were paying him NINE MILLION DOLLARS this year....signed a contract for 3 Million

If you would have offered us that deal he would probably still be here.

Do the Bills pay you to consistently provide this content ? 

You would be up here backing an extension for Shady as well if that’s was McBeane’s play correct ? 

Edited by Teddy KGB

16 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

You’re right re Shady > Yeldon. I actually think Murphy is better than Yeldon. But I am wondering too whether the Bills were thinking that while Yeldon is a good guy to have as your third stringer (who may not even dress most Sundays), you can’t make Shady your third stringer or else there would be a lot of drama. 

Fairburn went into that in his analysis of Beane's telephone call with the press (Athletic, pay, free trial available).  About Frank Gore, Beane said "He's a pro's pro.....We feel he understands his role. He’ll jump in there and if we want him to start, he’ll start. If we want him to back up, he’ll back up. I think Frank’s ready to help in whatever role Brian Daboll has planned for him."  About McCoy, Beane said "We did see this being a running back by committee whatever group that we kept. That would be a different role for LeSean. It’s nothing that we approached him with, like, ‘Hey, we’re going to cut your carries down’ or anything like that. I think that would have been the role and it is something that you have to consider when you’re lessening a role for a guy who has been a bell cow back for his whole career.....That was definitely one that we talked about."

It doesn't take much reading between the lines to see Beane pretty much reaching exactly your same conclusion.

Where I disagree with Fairburn is when he said " It’s easy to use Singletary and Gore as the selling point for McCoy’s expendability. It’s tougher to sell that something they saw in Singletary and Gore in the past month clinched the decision."  Looking back at Preseason Game 3 with post-cutdown-day hindsight, it seems pretty clear the whole game was intended as a running back audition.  I went back and watched the Condensed version on Gamepass.  They had a sub-par offensive line, with Morse still out.  Last year, McCoy faltered behind an even worse subpar line.  From series to series, they were alternating McCoy and Gore with (to my eyes) the same or similar run play calls and a side order of Murphy. To my eyes, McCoy lacked that burst and was being tackled by guys he would have run from 2-3 years ago.  Gore looked like he had more burst, and was able to operate more effectively in "Grind it out" mode as well.  Again, with the benefit of hindsight, I think Game 3 is where the decision was clinched.  "Singletary is ready to play, we're only keeping 1 of Gore and Shady, Gore it is."

• Like (+1) 7

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fairburn went into that in his analysis of Beane's telephone call with the press (Athletic, pay, free trial available).  About Frank Gore, Beane said "He's a pro's pro.....We feel he understands his role. He’ll jump in there and if we want him to start, he’ll start. If we want him to back up, he’ll back up. I think Frank’s ready to help in whatever role Brian Daboll has planned for him."  About McCoy, Beane said "We did see this being a running back by committee whatever group that we kept. That would be a different role for LeSean. It’s nothing that we approached him with, like, ‘Hey, we’re going to cut your carries down’ or anything like that. I think that would have been the role and it is something that you have to consider when you’re lessening a role for a guy who has been a bell cow back for his whole career.....That was definitely one that we talked about."

It doesn't take much reading between the lines to see Beane pretty much reaching exactly your same conclusion.

Where I disagree with Fairburn is when he said " It’s easy to use Singletary and Gore as the selling point for McCoy’s expendability. It’s tougher to sell that something they saw in Singletary and Gore in the past month clinched the decision."  Looking back at Preseason Game 3 with post-cutdown-day hindsight, it seems pretty clear the whole game was intended as a running back audition.  I went back and watched the Condensed version on Gamepass.  They had a sub-par offensive line, with Morse still out.  Last year, McCoy faltered behind an even worse subpar line.  From series to series, they were alternating McCoy and Gore with (to my eyes) the same or similar run play calls and a side order of Murphy. To my eyes, McCoy lacked that burst and was being tackled by guys he would have run from 2-3 years ago.  Gore looked like he had more burst, and was able to operate more effectively in "Grind it out" mode as well.  Again, with the benefit of hindsight, I think Game 3 is where the decision was clinched.  "Singletary is ready to play, we're only keeping 1 of Gore and Shady, Gore it is."

Thanks!

and agree with you completely. Obvious difference between Gore and McCoy out there. Gore seemed to run with more vision, power, and even straight ahead speed. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

So....I realize this is going to come as a shock....but McCoy....no spring chicken

IT WAS A BAD CONTRACT...you know how NFL football works...down year last year (not all his fault)

Oh, please!    McDermott and Beane gave McCoy a big pay raise when they didn't have anybody else on the offense to give the fans hope that the Bills could be competitve.  Allen's replaced him in that role, so McCoy was expendable.  That's not "how the NFL football works" for teams that are truly interested in winning football games and try to amass as much talent as possible under the limits of the cap rather than maximizing profit by minimizing player salaries and paying lip-service to the building a football team that wins consistently.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

The Chiefs will make the playoffs and then fold.  It’s Reid’s MO.

Beats the crap out of making the playoffs once every every twenty years.  That's the Bills' MO.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

This obliterated several fantasy teams. Damien Williams was going in the 2nd round in fantasy drafts. Shady was in the 8th. Now they are sharing work to some extent but nobody knows how much. If you took Williams that high you are pissed. 

Imagine if you took Williams and Luck. There have to be more than a few teams with that.

That’s why all drafts should happen on Labor Day.

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Oh, please!    McDermott and Beane gave McCoy a big pay raise when they didn't have anybody else on the offense to give the fans hope that the Bills could be competitve.  Allen's replaced him in that role, so McCoy was expendable.  That's not "how the NFL football works" for teams that are truly interested in winning football games and try to amass as much talent as possible under the limits of the cap rather than maximizing profit by minimizing player salaries and paying lip-service to the building a football team that wins consistently.

What? No.

McDermott and Beane inherited McCoy from Rex and Whaley, who gave Shady a big contract to get him to buy into the trade. They had, at the time, one of the most talented offensive rosters in football with Watkins, Woods, Harvin, Hogan, Goodwin, Shady, and a very strong OL.

Good spot for Shady. I didn't like to see him cut. Even though he initially wasn't a fan of playing for Buffalo, he embraced the team and his teammates (don't know much about the city or comunity) I know he is starting to lose his explosiveness but I thought we would keep him until his contract was up.

I understand the move, but for the time being I don't like it.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, SoTier said:

singletary will make everyone forget about old shady. I enjoyed shady when healthy but I have a feeling singletary will step in to that role quite nicely. I find it funny how some fans get all bent when a used up player gets cut. it was time to move on, so they did.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

4 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Beats the crap out of making the playoffs once every every twenty years.  That's the Bills' MO.

At some point you need to get control of yourself.  Comparing the previous Bills regimes to this one makes no sense but you do it over and over again.  And the comments are about the Chiefs and not the Bills.  Reid has built an asymmetric team that will fold in the playoffs like his teams have always done.

How does Reid get this phenomenal reputation when he has had one team in like 20 years make it to the show and then lose?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Oh, please!    McDermott and Beane gave McCoy a big pay raise when they didn't have anybody else on the offense to give the fans hope that the Bills could be competitve. 

When did McDermott and Beane give McCoy a big pay raise?

His contract was negotiated in 2015:

Mar 10 2015 Signed a 5 year $40 million extension with Buffalo (BUF), including a $13 million signing bonus and $26.5 million guaranteed

9 minutes ago, SoTier said:

You should get your facts straight before you rant.

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Got no problem with this and good luck to Shady

but like I said......follow the money.   We were paying him NINE MILLION DOLLARS this year....signed a contract for 3 Million

If you would have offered us that deal he would probably still be here.

Beane said they never approached Shady about taking a pay cut it was a decision based on wanting to get Singletary more touches...

6 hours ago, ny33 said:

Tuesday should be fun for me: 4 pm, 7 pm, and 8:15 drafts (all auction) for my 3 leagues this year. Not looking forward to work on Wednesday..

how do you handle a 7 and 8:15 auction draft??  Thats close.   But 3 auction leagues sounds fun.