Lesean McCoy cut!

7 hours ago, Rico said:

Maybe he really does something great in the next year or so.

Right now, can you write the history of the game in this era without him? Absolutely. Same is also true of Frank Gore.

I suppose. But you can say the same for many others in the Hall of Fame. Curtis Martin, for example. If McCoy accumulates a bit more playoff experience to go with his numbers, he'll make it in. He's never going to be considered among the 10 or so greatest RB's to ever play the game, but he'll be considered with the next tier. He'll need to have 2-3 more reasonably productive seasons, however, to get inducted into the Hall. What's your opinion of Lynch's chances, by the way? Your "writing the history of the game" standard suggests Lynch should make it for his 4 elite seasons with Seattle.

1 minute ago, KayAdams said:

I suppose. But you can say the same for many others in the Hall of Fame. Curtis Martin, for example. If McCoy accumulates a bit more playoff experience to go with his numbers, he'll make it in. He's never going to be considered among the 10 or so greatest RB's to ever play the game, but he'll be considered with the next tier. He'll need to have 2-3 more reasonably productive seasons, however, to get inducted into the Hall. What's your opinion of Lynch's chances, by the way? Your "writing the history of the game" standard suggests Lynch should make it for his 4 elite seasons with Seattle.

I would put Curtis Martin in the Hall Of Very Good.

As for Marshawn, I would put him in the HOF before Martin, Tomlinson, Shady, or Gore. Everyone knows Beast Mode, he's earned 1 ring & should've had 2, and his run against the Saints in the playoff game will always be remembered.

2 hours ago, Rico said:

As for Marshawn, I would put him in the HOF before Martin, Tomlinson, Shady, or Gore. Everyone knows Beast Mode, he's earned 1 ring & should've had 2, and his run against the Saints in the playoff game will always be remembered.

That run against the Saints was definitely a "where were you, when ..." moment.  Epic.

I think Martin is the best of the RBs you mentioned.  In order, from best to worst, I'd say:

Martin

Gore

Tomlinson

McCoy

Lynch

I don't think McCoy or Lynch even sniff Canton.  Martin should be in.  Gore/Tomlinson - borderline.

2 hours ago, Rico said:

Curtis Martin and LT are way better than Lynch

Martin had 10 straight 1000 yard seasons to start his career including a rushing title at 31. A feat only accomplish by Barry Sanders..  Lynch has never had a rushing title

LT as a complete back is LIGHT-YEARS ahead of Lynch

i'll miss him taking the first two plays of the game, bouncing off the line and running to the sidelines for buck gains

and then disappearing the rest of the game

Edited by row_33

On 8/31/2019 at 3:22 PM, CodeMonkey said:

Likely no other GM wanted Shady's contract.  Now that he's released he will get picked up by a team making a run this season when their RB gets hurt.  He won't make nearly as much money, but could net him a ring.  I wish him the best.

On 8/31/2019 at 3:32 PM, CSBill said:

Not surprised he was let go, but surprised they couldn't get anything in a trade?

Shouldn't be. His age and decline in performance coupled with the contract would make any GM cringe.  Add to the mix that they figured the Bills would release Shady, so if any GM wanted him, they'd get him a hell of a lot cheaper than trading and assuming the contract.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

That run against the Saints was definitely a "where were you, when ..." moment.  Epic.

I think Martin is the best of the RBs you mentioned.  In order, from best to worst, I'd say:

Martin

Gore

Tomlinson

McCoy

Lynch

I don't think McCoy or Lynch even sniff Canton.  Martin should be in.  Gore/Tomlinson - borderline.

I put Tomlinson at the top of that list tbh

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Martin had 10 straight 1000 yard seasons to start his career including a rushing title at 31. A feat only accomplish by Barry Sanders..  Lynch has never had a rushing title

LT in the biggest game of his career was a complete b####. Martin was very good but not great. Lynch was $$$ in big games.

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I think people underestimate Lynch's play because he went away from Buffalo and won a Super bowl.  He was the heart and soul of that Seattle offense.

Just now, Rico said:

LT in the biggest game of his career was a complete b####. Martin was very good but not great. Lynch was $$$ in big games.

+1.

17 hours ago, KayAdams said:

Shady is only 1500-2000 career rushing yards away from solidifying his case for the Hall. He'll get all his needed yards, TD, and reception numbers with Andy Reid in KC. His first 10 years in the league have been better than Frank Gore's. I am going on record as hating this roster decision with all of my heart. Beane and McDermott may have severely underestimated McCoy's decline (mostly the OL's fault last season) and severely overestimated Singletary's abilities (4.66 40-yd dash speed for a scatback role?!).

The fact that Andy Reid signed him only to a ONE year contract is another evidence that he is on the decline!

3 minutes ago, Rico said:

To say Martin wasn't great is ludicrous. He was an NFL rushing champ. 

If Lynch is only great because he was money in big games well the criteria for a great career is out the window. Martin had sustained greatness, entered the league with like 1400 yards..  and was dominant at the end with a rushing title

9 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

My issue is that no one was going to scoop up Croom. He's expendable to everyone but Pegs daughter. We don't need 5 TE. Why not hold on to Shady and take calls for him. KC probably would have given us at least a 4th or 5th. We got a 5th for Teller. Fact is, Shady had some trade value and he's still getting up to 4m. That extra 2m isn't killing the cap. There's was no reason to let him go for nothing, when we got value from other guys we would have cut. 

Owners should see to the end of the league. 

Manager's should  see to the end of the organization.

Coaches should see to the end of the roster.

Players should see to the end of the play. 

Fans often see to the ends of their emotions, and rarely with clarity.  Shady is gone, he went out with his head held high, and for all we know the 4th or the 5th you think we should have gotten was to a place the warrior did not want to go.  It seems interesting to me that Shady was buttoned up quickly, to a place where he can compete and with a coach he knows. All the best to him. 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

To say Martin wasn't great is ludicrous. He was an NFL rushing champ. 

If Lynch is only great because he was money in big games well the criteria for a great career is out the window. Martin had sustained greatness, entered the league with like 1400 yards..  and was dominant at the end with a rushing title

I give Martin credit for great consistency over many, many years... but he scared no one on the field. Much like Frank Gore.

8 minutes ago, Rico said:

This much I know..........you can't tell the story of the NFL from 2011-2014 without Marshawn Lynch.

He was the actual identity of those dominant Seahawks...........the numbers were incredible............there was "beast quake" and the slugfest with the Niners to get to their first SB and the incredible comeback against GB with him Nestea plunging into the end zone to go to their second SB...........and there was the decision NOT to give him the ball.

He is a real big part of NFL history during this period and he meets the statistical minimums.    If Lynn Swann is in then Beast Mode should be.

Shady McCoy?   He was a dude with a funny name who played RB well in the regular season at around the same time.    That's his impact on the NFL so he needs all the yards he can get and maybe he gets a chance to make a play in the playoffs or something.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This much I know..........you can't tell the story of the NFL from 2011-2014 without Marshawn Lynch.

He was the actual identity of those dominant Seahawks...........the numbers were incredible............there was "beast quake" and the slugfest with the Niners to get to their first SB and the incredible comeback against GB with him Nestea plunging into the end zone to go to their second SB...........and there was the decision NOT to give him the ball.

He is a real big part of NFL history during this period and he meets the statistical minimums.    If Lynn Swann is in then Beast Mode should be.

Shady McCoy?   He was a dude with a funny name who played RB well in the regular season at around the same time.    That's his impact on the NFL so he needs all the yards he can get and maybe he gets a chance to make a play in the playoffs or something.

Bills coaches told Lynch to hit the hole faster...like there was a hole that lasted more than a split second most of the time. I can recall the guy making his yards in Buffalo carrying two defenders on him. Freddy Jackson was more elusive and usually made that first guy miss. Spiller looked to be most effective getting the hand off in a spread 5 wide shotgun set with the defense thinking pass. 

The Buffalo Bills haven't had a complete offensive line since the 90's and even then that line didn't rival the Bills lines of the Champion years of the 60's. Even perhaps OJ's, Electric Company lines were pretty darn good. 

Going back to the topic at hand I gotta think last years offensive line had to be one of the worst ever in Buffalo history, and man they have had some bad lines!! 

This preseason the Bills still haven't fielded a line as good as what we should see opening day...and yet I don't see the new kid coming even close to what McCoy has done previous to last season. But hey, perhaps that's just me!

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

Bills coaches told Lynch to hit the hole faster...like there was a hole that lasted more than a split second most of the time. I can recall the guy making his yards in Buffalo carrying two defenders on him. Freddy Jackson was more elusive and usually made that first guy miss. Spiller looked to be most effective getting the hand off in a spread 5 wide shotgun set with the defense thinking pass. 

The Buffalo Bills haven't had a complete offensive line since the 90's and even then that line didn't rival the Bills lines of the Champion years of the 60's. Even perhaps OJ's, Electric Company lines were pretty darn good. 

Going back to the topic at hand I gotta think last years offensive line had to be one of the worst ever in Buffalo history, and man they have had some bad lines!! 

This preseason the Bills still haven't fielded a line as good as what we should see opening day...and yet I don't see the new kid coming even close to what McCoy has done previous to last season. But hey, perhaps that's just me!

People keep beating up the OL, and it was bad without question. But the offensive system has a lot to do with it. Greg Roman's system was very effective in the running game. Remember that they had Mills and Miller starting on the right side of that line and still had the best running game in the league for 2 years. It wasn't all Shady either. Backs like Karlos Williams, Mike Gillislee and even Jonathan Williams were outstanding during their time in Buffalo.

From MMQB/Peter King

totally get the Bills going with Frank Gore over LeSean McCoy. Buffalo wanted third-round rookie Devin Singletary to take over this job sooner than later, and Gore, still going at 36, is the perfect mentor for Singletary. Gore’s a Miami kid who played at the U, and Singletary’s a south Florida kid who played in the shadow of the U, Florida Atlantic. This makes more sense for the Bills’ future than going with a back, LeSean McCoy, who wouldn’t be happy without being the primary back in a job-share.

• Frank Gore is 36. He has 2,500 more rushing yards than Jim Brown. And he just beat out LeSean McCoyfor the starting job in Buffalo—which, to be fair, will be a job-share with rookie Devin Singletary, with Singletary likely to get more carries. Still, Gore remains one of the great stories in recent NFL history. He’s rushed for 5,909 yards since turning 30, and he’ll start for his fourth team since 2014.

8. I think the LeSean McCoy dump by the Bills reinforces how tenuous a time it is for NFL running backs, and how easy it is for teams to replace them. The Bills got McCoy’s heir, Devin Singletary, with the 74th pick of the 2019 draft. In 2017, Alvin Kamara, Kareem Hunt, James Conner and Tarik Cohen got picked 67, 86, 105, and 119, respectively. On a related note, it continues to be insane that fantasy football places far more importance on running backs than quarterbacks. It’s just not the way the real game is played. I suppose that’s why it’s called “fantasy” football.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/01/super-bowl-54-prediction-nfl-fmia-peter-king/

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1