Luck retiring

49 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Courtney Brown, who was actually sensational early on, but quickly suffered a ceaseless cascade of injuries - which drove him out of the league. He didn't bust because he wasn't good. He had an OK rookie season (although he had nice total of TFLs - 16), but was absolutely on fire in his second season when he suffered a season ending injury in game five. Up to that point, he had 4.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles and 2 fumble recoveries, 4 TFLs, 1 TD, and 4 passes defensed. Those are great numbers. 

Ya, he was good in the one year, sure, but not playing due to injury is a bust.  There is some kind of upside to being a psycho or kinda dull in football IMO.  Smart and a maniac makes you even more effective, but those traits combined w talent are pretty rare.  Smart and insane is basically erry coach.

....Grigson had the stones to blame the Luck extension as what inhibited him from finding player upgrades........what a spineless, clueless coward......Luck took a beating behind their offensive line(LESS)......kid leaves $50+ mil on the table with his brain intact.......Barry Sanders got out on HIS own terms much to the chagrin of many...Daryl Stingley was not so lucky....RIP Junior Seau.......and Colts have initially denied reports of any advance notice, but I read where Irsay tipped his hat to the contrary(SHOCKING).....

• Like (+1) 3

Live just north of Indy and friends have asked me what Bills fans would have done Saturday night.  Would we have booed Luck like they did here?  My response was no.

We would have just marched down to the field and hung him right on the 50 yard line.

• Haha (+1) 1

Here’s the sneaky thing about football.  Football games are the greatest sports moment there is.  Very few things compare more than playing in a football game.  Just one of the best things ever.  But a lot of the other parts to get ready for the games completely suck.  Football is a grind.  As much as some fans would give anything to play, I think a lot more would quit because of the grind.  Now imagine constantly being injured and rehabbing every offseason.  It gets old.  I wish Luck well. 

• Like (+1) 2

Well if Indy would of invested properly in keeping their QB upright.

I don't blame Luck. I salute him for leaving the game in tact on his terms. It sucks for Indy fans but the game is brutal mentally and physically

9 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I don't blame the fans one bit.

Not one bit. Luck HAD to have known this back in the spring when the team could have made an adjustment.

Yes, it's his right to quit when he wants to. But that RIGHT doesn't insulate him from criticism.

I blame them for lack of common sense understanding. Haters are going to hate, so that's why I laugh at the haters for being selfish and stupid

I would never call out a player, like Luck, for retiring knowing the injuries Luck was dealing with. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Live just north of Indy and friends have asked me what Bills fans would have done Saturday night.  Would we have booed Luck like they did here?  My response was no.

We would have just marched down to the field and hung him right on the 50 yard line.

Sadly, that sounds about right...

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Bills fans would be jealous that he gets to quit...

• Haha (+1) 1

Bet he makes a comeback in two years -- maybe for Indy, maybe for someone else. Sometimes these guys just need a year or two off to get healthy and start feeling like themselves again. He's only going to know whether that itch to compete is completely gone once he truly gets away from the game.

Edited by VW82

After thinking about it some more i think Luck made a mistake.

He should have retired this offseason or ground out the year. To which some would say he could get hurt again and he could yet hurt walking down the street.

You dont quit on your teammates 2 weeks before the season.

He wasn't dying and was motivated to play up till this point. He should have just fought through it and had another great year and possibly win a Superbowl for his team and city.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

After thinking about it some more i think Luck made a mistake.

He should have retired this offseason or ground out the year. To which some would say he could get hurt again and he could yet hurt walking down the street.

You dont quit on your teammates 2 weeks before the season.

He wasn't dying and was motivated to play up till this point. He should have just fought through it and had another great year and possibly win a Superbowl for his team and city.

The timing wasn't ideal but it could've been worse.  I suspect the injury he's gone/going through is something is worse than what was reported.  He may have had multiple setbacks in what was originally considered a minor injury that turned into a major injury.  You also have to remember that Brisett has taken all the reps with the #1's up to this point so having some clarity that he's the guy might be a positive thing.  I only heard positive words and support from his teammates up to this point.

Edited by Doc Brown

16 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....Grigson had the stones to blame the Luck extension as what inhibited him from finding player upgrades........what a spineless, clueless coward......Luck took a beating behind their offensive line(LESS)......kid leaves $50+ mil on the table with his brain intact.......Barry Sanders got out on HIS own terms much to the chagrin of many...Daryl Stingley was not so lucky....RIP Junior Seau.......and Colts have initially denied reports of any advance notice, but I read where Irsay tipped his hat to the contrary(SHOCKING).....

I actually heard a radio talk show yesterday....I think Schein but wouldn't swear to it...say that Luck could sue the Colts for malpractice.  This wasn't said jokingly.  

Andrew Luck was not the first good QB to play on a bad team or behind a bad line.  He won't be the last.  He didn't live up to expectations.  In sports this is not uncommon.  

Personally, from what I see of him, he will live up to being a good person and likely contribute to society.  This will probably go largely unnoticed which is probably fine with him.

There are many fans and members of the media who simply will not let go of their preconceived notions, a form of prejudice, that he would be one of the all time greats.  He wasn't.  Big whoop.  The speculation got it wrong.  But that will never be admitted.  History will be rewritten along the lines of "what could have been".  All of this because people can't admit they were wrong.  It's weird.  

I bet it's never mentioned that in the last game of his career he was completely shut down by a horrible defense.  It doesn't fit the narrative.

I feel bad for Brissett because he can't win.  Whatever the Colts do this year the question will be "and how much better would the have done with Luck"?  That is completely unfair.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, VW82 said:

Bet he makes a comeback in two years -- maybe for Indy, maybe for someone else. Sometimes these guys just need a year or two off to get healthy and start feeling like themselves again. He's only going to know whether that itch to compete is completely gone once he truly gets away from the game.

Luck is not coming back. He knows that this is a physical game and injuries are a part of it. He doesn’t want to have to go through what he has for the last four or five years. He’s done. As he said, he has clarity in his decision.