Luck retiring

2 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Wouldn't shock me if he just takes a year or two off and comes back.

Sounds like he is trying to break the cycle he is currently in of play, get injured hurry back get hurt again hurry back get hurt again.

Plus the xfl will definitely be calling

His old man is the XFL commissioner.  There could be a spot in the administration of that league just waiting for him if he wants to go that route.

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

And he was a good QB.  He's a shoe-in for becoming one of the better color analysts on TV, if he wants to go in that direction.

We definitely need some more of those. Apart from Romo and a couple of others they're all crap

39 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Completely shocked by this but he definitely is the type of guy who would do it.  He reads books in his spare time!  What a nerd.  And I thought at first that he might just rest for a season and come back but football is a hard sport to just come back to. 

The timing sucks but but I truly believe he was trying to play.  Their last idiot GM is a huge reason why he is retiring because he got Luck killed early in his career.

and the Colts will still be a tough team to beat.

IIRC correctly his potential dedication to football was a knock way back in his scouting report. Just that he had other interests or something because he's obviously obsessed with football.

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

There's a long thread discussing the booing at a Colts fan forum I visited last night.

Lots of Colts fans opposed it too.

I am willing to cut them some slack, b/c in that moment, they weren't booing Luck.  They were booing the sorry state of affairs they are now in and it was a knee jerk type reaction.

I suspect something will be arranged so Luck can go out in front of a packed house in much greater style, by awarding him some sort of team medal or whatever, or maybe even retiring his # if they want to do that.

I'd be shocked if something isn't arranged soon.

Good point about the knee jerk reaction. I can understand that. 

I hope he gets the chance to say goodbye to a packed stadium and the fans can send him off to a chorus of cheers. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Luck was about to start his 7th season. Both 29 years old. Brown was still an elite RB at the top of his game. Luck's body was beat up.  No way Brown's days were numbered based on how he was playing. If anyone, obviously,  Luck's days were numbered because of the many serious injuries he's had in his career.  No way Luck would have lasted 12 more years at this rate.

I was wrong.  Brown had already played 10 full seasons.  He was still near peak form when he retired, but it was a matter of time.  He had already firmly established himself as the greatest RB of all-time, and maybe the best football player of all-time.  

Luck has has been a very good QB, but I think most would agree that his best years were still ahead of him.  Despite the nagging injuries, there’s no reason to think he couldn’t have continued to play until he was 40.

Edited by mannc

7 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

His old man is the XFL commissioner.  There could be a spot in the administration of that league just waiting for him if he wants to go that route.

I don't think enough people realize what a different kind of guy Luck is when it comes to football or to life in general...

9 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Good point about the knee jerk reaction. I can understand that. 

I hope he gets the chance to say goodbye to a packed stadium and the fans can send him off to a chorus of cheers. 

I think they would all go out of their way to do that, once this has had time to sink in, the booers realize they probably shouldn't have booed, and everyone in that community wants a chance to "heal."

At least I hope so!

3 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Why couldn't it have been Brady?

Because we are cursed.  I think.

16 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

We definitely need some more of those. Apart from Romo and a couple of others they're all crap

Agreed.

I say it all the time, but I am always surprised at how bad NFL tv announcing is these days.  I thought these were highly coveted jobs and super competitive!  With millions of communications majors fighting for what they perceive to be a dream job!?

Where are they all?  

10 minutes ago, mannc said:

I was wrong.  Brown had already played 10 full seasons.  He was still near peak form when he retired, but it was a matter of time.  He had already firmly established himself as the greatest RB of all-time, and maybe the best football player of all-time.  

Luck has has been a very good QB, but I think most would agree that his best years were still ahead of him.  Despite the nagging injuries, there’s no reason to think he couldn’t have continued to play until he was 40.

You're wrong again - 9 full seasons. 1957-1965. 

His injuries are the reason he's retiring now, so how can you say he could've played until 40 despite injuries. And describing them as nagging is wrong, unless you consider peeing blood to be 'nagging'.

Physical toll on Andrew Luck through 6 NFL seasons:
» Torn cartilage in 2 ribs
» partially torn abdomen
» a lacerated kidney that left him peeing blood
» at least 1 concussion
» a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder
» and this mysterious calf/ankle issue that led to this

This is in only 6 seasons.

14 hours ago, Element115 said:

They won't be the worst team in the league.

If they're smart they will. 

Crazy how life goes. I remember the hype when Luck and Griffin were drafted looking like the best QB's in quite a while. Now ones retired and the other is deep in the depth chart. All injury related. You never know what life has in store.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, klos63 said:

You're wrong again - 9 full seasons. 1957-1965. 

His injuries are the reason he's retiring now, so how can you say he could've played until 40 despite injuries. And describing them as nagging is wrong, unless you consider peeing blood to be 'nagging'.

Physical toll on Andrew Luck through 6 NFL seasons:
» Torn cartilage in 2 ribs
» partially torn abdomen
» a lacerated kidney that left him peeing blood
» at least 1 concussion
» a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder
» and this mysterious calf/ankle issue that led to this

This is in only 6 seasons.

Has Luck actually said that he’s retiring because of his injuries?  Although I’m sure injuries played a part, i thought he said he just lost his desire to play and compete.  

That’s a fairly long list of injuries, but not anything that would be considered career-threatening by itself.  (Take a look at Ben Roethlisberger’s injury history sometime.)  Luck’s knees are healthy and the Colts have finally put a team around him that can protect him and compete for a title. That’s what makes this so shocking.

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Has Luck actually said that he’s retiring because of his injuries?  Although I’m sure injuries played a part, i thought he said he just lost his desire to play and compete.  

That’s a fairly long list of injuries, but not anything that would be considered career-threatening by itself.  (Take a look at Ben Roethlisberger’s injury history sometime.)  Luck’s knees are healthy and the Colts have finally put a team around him that can protect him and compete for a title. That’s what makes this so shocking.

I think it's shocking because we are so used to athletes sacrificing their bodies and accepting that they deal with pain the rest of their shortened lifespan. I think we'll see more of this. He has more money than he'll ever need. He's having his first child. Who wouldn't want to live pain free and enjoy your family?  Even with a very good team around him, he has yet another injury that would have likely kept him out of games this season. It must be very frustrating.

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

It's been four years of this injury-pain rehab cycle, I can't live the life I want to live moving forward ... I feel quite exhausted and quite tired,"

"I've been stuck in this process. I haven't been able to live the life I want to live. Taken the joy out of this game and after 2016 when I played in pain and was unable to regularly practice,

Sounds like a combination - the injuries have taken away his desire to play.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

I am sad that the Andrew Luck civil war Twitter account will be dead... 

Andrew Luck himself who really cares just one less team to worry about. Let him spend the money he stole from the NFL. I wish I could be lucky. Albert Haynesworth, Vontae Davis type *****.

What is your personal hell that deforms your soul? So bitter.

• Thank you (+1) 4

24 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

So what did I say that was wrong? 

Dont know that I would say you said anything that was wrong.  He actually doesnt owe them anything.  Now they could sue and argue that he should return some of the bonus.  But they would actually have to win before he owed them anything.

Unless they wrote something into his contract.  I highly doubt they would have even tried to put such language in his contract as he would not have signed it.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

Colts insist they knew nothing about potential Andrew Luck retirement until this week

Posted by Mike Florio on August 24, 2019, 11:39 PM EDT

At a time when rumors are running rampant that the Colts knew about the potential retirement of quarterback Andrew Luck in March, the Colts are pushing back. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Colts contend that they knew nothing about Luck’s potential retirement until this week, and that in March there was there was nothing but excitement about the upcoming season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/24/colts-insist-they-knew-nothing-about-potential-andrew-luck-retirement-until-this-week/