JOSH ALLEN post game thread

rayray808

It’s a bit funny to see so many over reacting and over exaggerating the game for Josh last night.  

It wasn’t remotely close to as bad some say.  Zay blew a first down pass, Cole fumbled a straight dime first down strike by Allen, and he led us on an excellent two minute drive.  

He made a bad bad mistake on one throw, first one all preseason, and now some act like the sky is falling.  I mean I have seen every top QB in the NFL make a poor throw like that trying to extend a play. It happens, no big deal.  It becomes an issue when mistakes like that reoccur too often.  He did it once all preseason...so let’s pump the brakes on the panic and over reaction off one pass.

Plus, coaching staff clearly was focused on getting run game reps which meant Allen wasn’t given a chance to get a rhythm early, especially with drive killing drop by Zay and the 2 other turnovers.  

And Josh was probably pressing a bit on that INT too because he didn’t want to get off the field given the limited reps so far as he’s a gamer and it was a no risk preseason game.

Hes gonna have a good season IMO.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Umm, sorry. That was a bone-head rookie throw. He needs to use less arm and more brains moving forward.

He pretty much admitted it was a bonehead throw and needed to learn from it.  He will always be aggressive but I do think he learned from this one.  It is a pretty fine line between aggression and being boneheaded.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

You must miss Fitzy then. Hey if you think that was a smart throw, and accurate throw and an acceptable risk, then we just view the game very differently.  I prefer to win for once. Josh should learn the rules first before knowing when to break them. 

Or perhaps you should try not overreacting to a single throw...

20 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It’s a bit funny to see so many over reacting and over exaggerating the game for Josh last night.  

It wasn’t remotely close to as bad some say.  Zay blew a first down pass, Cole fumbled a straight dime first down strike by Allen, and he led us on an excellent two minute drive.  

He made a bad bad mistake on one throw, first one all preseason, and now some act like the sky is falling.  I mean I have seen every top QB in the NFL make a poor throw like that trying to extend a play. It happens, no big deal.  It becomes an issue when mistakes like that reoccur too often.  He did it once all preseason...so let’s pump the brakes on the panic and over reaction off one pass.

Plus, coaching staff clearly was focused on getting run game reps which meant Allen wasn’t given a chance to get a rhythm early, especially with drive killing drop by Zay and the 2 other turnovers.  

And Josh was probably pressing a bit on that INT too because he didn’t want to get off the field given the limited reps so far as he’s a gamer and it was a no risk preseason game.

Hes gonna have a good season IMO.

Amen, brother...

• Thank you (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, billspro said:

Good point, those were awesome when he completed it. 

It’s NOT about the throw he made its more about his decision making AGAIN it was on a 2nd & 4 , the right thing to do was to throw the ball away and Josh knows that , I just hope he learns from the mistakes he makes so when the regular season starts this won’t be an issue anymore!!! 

Gooo Bills !!!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, transient said:

Right?! All this talk about the INT, but that mange infested dead muskrat on his face is the thing that worries me the most about his lack of judgment. Know your strengths Josh; buy a razor!

Oh man, I could NOT disagree more!  I mean, what's the point of preseason!?  NOW is the time for Josh to start growing a beard - a young QB, second season, third preseason game - let is rip now, I say.  It's going to take time for him to have a great beard, I just hope that McBeane are crew are getting him the beard oils and barbering that he needs to be successful.

I mean, look at it this way, do you think Fitz just woke up like that!?  Heck no, he's a Harvard guy, and while he doesn't have arm of Josh, he used his smarts to methodically grow his beard to epic, Grizzly Adams-like proportions.  It didn't happen in his season season! (probably)

I say let the kid give it a try.  Maybe it's a mistake and he'll get it out of his system in the preseason, but I'm willing to bet that by the time we're in the second half of the regular season, that beard is going to be looking pretty good...

Go Bills!

:beer:

Edited by Heitz

5 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

But why not try it... If you are gonna try it why not do it in a meaningless preseason game and see just what you can get away with with his arm strength. Use that as a measuring stick for future reference.

And with the new PI rules a lot of good can come from just giving your reciever a chance. 

And good did come from it. If he had bailed out early and just threw the ball away he wouldn't have drawn a penalty flag.

Doesn't bother me at all. It's a meaningless game. Throwing the ball away does nothing. Why not take the risk... What's the worst that gonna happen. You throw an INT in a game that doesn't matter. Its same reason teams go for in on 4th down in preseason when they obviously wouldn't in a real game. Take the risk and see what you can and can not do. Throwing it away does nothing in these type of games. But taking risks can be used to learn and improve.

I only coached at the Junior college level for 17 years, but this post is just wrong, my friend. I guarantee there is no coach on this team who has this opinion

3 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

My thoughts exactly, even the Favre reference.

That play instantly reminded me of the two hero ball INTs he threw early last season. I thought for sure he was going to throw it away when he neared the sideline, and was pretty disappointed to see the result. BUT, this is when you want to make those mistakes if you're going to make them.

Things have been awful rosey around Allen lately, and a little dose of humble pie in a "meaningless" preseason game doesn't hurt. 

I hope you're right. Been a fan since 65' (5 years old) and I want a Lombardi before I die. I'm not confident in him but if the coaches can raise his FB IQ and harness that erratic  bazooka, maybe.... just maybe..... real soon.... I would cry tears of joy for a week !

3 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

yeah preseason games always tend to discourage me. I base all four ( three really) preseason games on how the season is going to unfold. throwing merely 6 passes on what was expected to be a run heavy night leaves me very worried. I don't even need to watch the fourth preseason game as starters may only  play a series so I can go ahead now and use last nights game as an indication of how the season will go forward and since I'm so discouraged I now feel they may win 4, maybe 5 games? man, these preseason games have just taken all the excitement I had in looking forward to the 2019 season. so discouraging.

too long, too weak

4 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Does anyone care that he made that same throw last year for big completions in 3 different games--2 of which were for 50+ yards?

Yes, it's a throw he needs to learn not to force, but it's also a club that he should keep in his bag.

Yeah not all across the body throws are bad. Mahomes completed more than his share last year. But he does need to cap how far down the field he's tossing those. Across the body to an abandoned check down option is fine. Across the body to a covered receiver downfield is going to be intercepted every time.

39 minutes ago, Putin said:

It’s NOT about the throw he made its more about his decision making AGAIN it was on a 2nd & 4 , the right thing to do was to throw the ball away and Josh knows that , I just hope he learns from the mistakes he makes so when the regular season starts this won’t be an issue anymore!!! 

Gooo Bills !!!

I don’t think it will be an issue in the regular season. 

4 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Does anyone care that he made that same throw last year for big completions in 3 different games--2 of which were for 50+ yards?

Yes, it's a throw he needs to learn not to force, but it's also a club that he should keep in his bag.

100%. If I remember correctly huge gain to ivory in MINN, large chunk to McCoy in HOU, and then another big gain to ivory in the finale? 

Just needs to dial it back a hair. Nothing major. He’ll get it 

• Like (+1) 2

yeah preseason games always tend to discourage me. I base all four ( three really) preseason games on how the season is going to unfold. throwing merely 6 passes on what was expected to be a run heavy night leaves me very worried. I don't even need to watch the fourth preseason game as starters may only  play a series so I can go ahead now and use last nights game as an indication of how the season will go forward and since I'm so discouraged I now feel they may win 4, maybe 5 games? man, these preseason games have just taken all the excitement I had in looking forward to the 2019 season. so discouraging.

Overreact much? 

49 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Or perhaps you should try not overreacting to a single throw...

I'm reacting to not seeing a growth of better decision-making that we were promised and seemed to be happening throughout training camp and the preseason. Hopefully the coaches "over react" as well so he doesn't do it again in the regular season.

Its incredible how just one throw makes a large portion of the fanbase lose hope.

I'm not saying everyone, but that's all I could think about.  I kept saying to myself as the play was happening, throw it away, throw it away, please throw it away.  When he threw it against the grain, I think we all knew.

Edited by TonyBeets

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah not all across the body throws are bad. Mahomes completed more than his share last year. But he does need to cap how far down the field he's tossing those. Across the body to an abandoned check down option is fine. Across the body to a covered receiver downfield is going to be intercepted every time.

Right. I was just thinking this. It seems the ones he hits were when the rb snuck down the field out of the backfield. 

The guy had 6 throws ...Tony Romo was doing throws Josh did across his body when he was a pro bowler qbs do that all the time..just wish he would have been given more opportunities they seemed obsessed with establishing the running game which I don’t think needed practice but that’s what they did 

Makes COMPLETE sense - it's like, sciencetific! 

Edited by Heitz
  • Awesome! (+1) 1