Jump to content
Phil The Thrill

Greg Cosell Says Ed Oliver “struggled” and evaluates new Bills players in preseason debut

Recommended Posts

I enjoy listening to the old and wise Greg Cosell breaking down the Bills with The Murph on One Bills Live.

 

I saw that he was on the show last Friday to evaluate the Bills in the preseason opener so i took a listen.

 

To my surprise he was no high on Ed Oliver’s debut.  He said he “struggled” for most of his plays especially when facing double teams.  He also said that Eddie needs to develop “perfect technique” in the NFL because he is too small to take on double teams.  

 

I watched the game and this was not the impression I came away with.  I did see Ed get taken out by Quentin Nelson a few times but he is an All-Pro and one of the best.  I was very impressed by his debut, as were many Bills beat writers and it makes me wonder whether Greg really watched all of Ed’s plays of just the few where he was rendered ineffective by Nelson.

 

As for the rest, Greg seemed somewhat reserved.  He mentioned some good things but also didn’t seem too impressed.  Even Murph was like “I feel pretty good about the Bills.”  But Greg did say, it’s important not to take away too much from the preseason - so maybe that’s why.   

 

He is high on Daryl Johnson.  This he can be a good edge rusher in the NFL.

 

Thinks Josh made some good throws but also missed a few others he should have had.   That pass to Zay Jones could have gotten him walloped.  Says he needs to work on that.

 

Liked Cody Ford’s debut.  Believes that the coaching staff is trying to find the 5 best lineman which is why they are moving him around.  

 

Thinks Vosean Joseph moves well but is a little small and thinks he’ll play behind Matt Milano and will have a tough time getting on the field behind him. (Greg actually talked about him and then 5 minutes later Tasker said “what did you think about Vosean Joseph?”  forcing Greg to repeat what he said earlier LOL).

 

Said Tyree Jackson struggled big time as well and has a ton of work to do.  

 

Puts over Singletary’s hard running, vision and patience but questions whether he can be a “power runner” due to his small size.  

 

https://app.radio.com/hiQaUPmN6Y

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IDK.  It seems to me Cosell is living off his reputation these days.

 

As Marv used to say, "if you get a reputation as an early riser, you can sleep to noon" and nobody will say anything..."

  • Like (+1) 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Don't need Singletary to be a power runner.  He sheds tackles with his body control and his shiftiness.  I can see us using another day 2 pick next year to draft a bigger back to take the full load off Singletary in the 2020 season and lay the boom between the tackles.

Edited by Laughing Coffin
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lurker said:

IDK.  It seems to me Cosell is living off his reputation these days.

 

As Marv used to say, "if you get a reputation as an early riser, you can sleep to noon" and nobody will say anything..."

 

This is true but many people praise Greg’s football IQ.  Even the analytics sites 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Phil The Thrill said:

 

This is true but many people praise Greg’s football IQ.  Even the analytics sites 

 

IQ and work ethic are two separate and distinct issues...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was watching Ed with his eyes closed....the same way he should keep his mouth.  

  • Skeptical 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I remember correctly the Bills 1st team defense gave up 27 yards and 1 first down well into the 2nd quarter. Common sense would say the defense played pretty well.

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so our brand new rookie struggled against All-Pro double teams in his first NFL outing?  BUST!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So he thinks almost all our rookies are too small and that a perfect pass to Zay at the goal line was dangerous...not cause it was high but cause defenders were around. Got it.

  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Geez, the guy Oliver was going against is an all pro, pro bowl graded as one of the very best OGs in the NFL and he held his own. Other critics have said he graded well against the Colts.

 

As far as that Zay Jones pass/drop goes. Might have been the sun in his eyes, might have been alligator arms, might have known he was going to get hit and protected himself in first instinct. All I know is a top receiver catches that ball, period! 

  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of all the people for Oliver to draw in his first  NFL game, he gets Nelson who was an All Pro LG in his rookie season and is probably the best LG in the game right now.  I thought Oliver played well.   One would think that Nelson would be able to handle the rookie Oliver in his first NFL start without any help.  The fact that the All Pro LG needed some help double teaming Oliver seems proof enough that Oliver has some game.

 

All I know is that if Oliver demands a double team, and Star demands a double team, the rest of that D-line and the linebackers are going to feast this year.

 

 

  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks! (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I enjoy listening to the old and wise Greg Cosell breaking down the Bills with The Murph on One Bills Live.

 

I saw that he was on the show last Friday to evaluate the Bills in the preseason opener so i took a listen.

 

To my surprise he was no high on Ed Oliver’s debut.  He said he “struggled” for most of his plays especially when facing double teams.  He also said that Eddie needs to develop “perfect technique” in the NFL because he is too small to take on double teams.  

 

I watched the game and this was not the impression I came away with.  I did see Ed get taken out by Quentin Nelson a few times but he is an All-Pro and one of the best.  I was very impressed by his debut, as were many Bills beat writers and it makes me wonder whether Greg really watched all of Ed’s plays of just the few where he was rendered ineffective by Nelson.

 

As for the rest, Greg seemed somewhat reserved.  He mentioned some good things but also didn’t seem too impressed.  Even Murph was like “I feel pretty good about the Bills.”  But Greg did say, it’s important not to take away too much from the preseason - so maybe that’s why.   

 

He is high on Daryl Johnson.  This he can be a good edge rusher in the NFL.

 

Thinks Josh made some good throws but also missed a few others he should have had.   That pass to Zay Jones could have gotten him walloped.  Says he needs to work on that.

 

Liked Cody Ford’s debut.  Believes that the coaching staff is trying to find the 5 best lineman which is why they are moving him around.  

 

Thinks Vosean Joseph moves well but is a little small and thinks he’ll play behind Matt Milano and will have a tough time getting on the field behind him. (Greg actually talked about him and then 5 minutes later Tasker said “what did you think about Vosean Joseph?”  forcing Greg to repeat what he said earlier LOL).

 

Said Tyree Jackson struggled big time as well and has a ton of work to do.  

 

Puts over Singletary’s hard running, vision and patience but questions whether he can be a “power runner” due to his small size.  

 

https://app.radio.com/hiQaUPmN6Y

 

That's probably the only part of the game Cosell watched. I think some national guys can only skim games due to time restrictions. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a big fan of this guy.....extremely critical of Josh Allen as well.

 

I felt that Josh missed some throws in the first series but warmed up after that....should have came away with a TD to Zay Jones but Jones drops another one that hits him right in the hands.....

 

On Ed Oliver....come on man....he isnt going to make a play on EVERY down....he was taking up blockers so that others could make plays....and getting good penetration....WTF does Cosell want?

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These "evaluations" sound all the same to me...like a script. Any member of this forum can evaluate players rather well.

  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was Greg watching the game with a paper bag over his head?

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone is gushing over Nelson. I thought you weren't supposed to draft an OG in the top 10?

I mostly agree with the critique of Cosell's critique.  Oliver is a DT. Just holding his own on most plays is a win from that position. 

It's early but Allen doesn't look any better than he did last year.  I would love to see him just come out and have two drives going 9 for 11with about 85 yards.  Clean and efficient.  It doesn't help that there is not a TE healthy enough to play. 

 

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Of all the people for Oliver to draw in his first  NFL game, he gets Nelson who was an All Pro LG in his rookie season and is probably the best LG in the game right now.  I thought Oliver played well.   One would think that Nelson would be able to handle the rookie Oliver in his first NFL start without any help.  The fact that the All Pro LG needed some help double teaming Oliver seems proof enough that Oliver has some game.

 

All I know is that if Oliver demands a double team, and Star demands a double team, the rest of that D-line and the linebackers are going to feast this year.

 

 

Great point! 

  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kid Ed Oliver gonna be good bro. Guy with that kinda leverage and Athletic ability . He was playing the Dbl teams tough and made tackles off them! That’s impressive. I thought he would get tossed around! That play where he landed on his feet after jumping Maan please !

— Willie Anderson (@BigWillie7179) August 10, 2019

 

That is a former ALL-PRO Offensive Tackle  giving his opinion.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was one of the rare times that I disagree with Cosell. My only conclusion is that he was only skimming the game and didn't watch enough of Oliver. From what I saw Oliver more than handled himself. Even the fact that he is drawing double teams speaks to his effectiveness.

 

As for Tasker asking about Vosean Joseph again, I'm pretty sure he meant to ask about the safety Joquan Johnson, but mixed up the names. Poor Tasker...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By any objective measure, Ed Oliver did not struggle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I totally disagree with him on Oliver. Think he is closer on some of the other stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oliver played 11 snaps . Rookies , essentially OL/DL generally play way more than 2 series.. 

 

That tells me the coaches loved what they saw in practice and 11 plays in first pre season gm.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right. And Ryan Nassib is a good quarterback. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Azucho98 said:

He was watching Ed with his eyes closed....the same way he should keep his mouth.  

 

I watched Baldy's breakdown and he basically said Oliver was stonewalled all night.  I think fan reaction to anything negative about Oliver is just a bit over the top.  He's undersized, and so far it shows. Lets see what happens the next game! 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Skeptical 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...