Clowney Trending for some reason.

MAJBobby

4 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Sorry if the truth dosen't go over well.  I like what the team has done in a lot of ways, but much of what we assume to be improved is just taking other team's borderline starters and put them over players that should be street free agents that were playing important roles here last year.  To say the depth at TE is great because we have a gifted athlete they took in the third round and a bunch of other guys who haven't done much, call me skeptical.  

I’m sorry too. We’re over our allotment of know it all naysayers. We’re trying hard to weed out those who preach and prance like HOF HC’s, schooling and scolding us and we are garnering some success in this endeavor. But not enough to open any new billets.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Chemical said:

Problem (for the Texans) is he can’t sign an extension this season. So he is basically a one year rental therefore reducing his value. 

It would actually be a perfect situation. Allen has two more years before he can be extended. If they got Clowney for this season, not only would we not have to extend him, but we wouldn’t be able to.

They could franchise him (and let him walk after 2020, netting a 3rd rd comp pick) or extend him the following year when we have more information about what tre White and Dawkins and even Allen/Edmunds extensions might be worth. 

The Bills could do that and it's not a bad idea for a team that thinks that way.

I just get the drift that Beane and McDermott don't want to build that way.

They want to sign and keep good players that have bought in 100% and for them to handle Clowney the way you described

seems to go against that.

Also, teams that treat stars that way will have a harder time getting interest from future players.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The Bills could do that and it's not a bad idea for a team that thinks that way.

They want to sign and keep good players that have bought in 100% and for them to handle Clowney the way you described

Also, teams that treat stars that way will have a harder time getting interest from future players.

Could also be that its impossible to know how every single guy in the NFL actually is "culture fit" wise.  And getting him on a 1 year trial period before having to commit big money is exactly the right move.  If he fits in, then you pay him the big bucks.  Sure, you risk losing him but the bigger risk you protect yourself from is way overpaying for someone who is not what you hoped for.

1 minute ago, Mark80 said:

Could also be that its impossible to know how every single guy in the NFL actually is "culture fit" wise.  And getting him on a 1 year trial period before having to commit big money is exactly the right move.  If he fits in, then you pay him the big bucks.  Sure, you risk losing him but the bigger risk you protect yourself from is way overpaying for someone who is not what you hoped for.

I can go for that IF the price isn't too high to get him here for the year.

If Houston  wanted to trade him for value it had to be before July 15 when a long term contract could be signed. It looks like he stays in Houston under the tag this season. They could tag him a second time but likely a FA after that. I hope the Bills stay away from him  jmo .

The Bills have future key players to sign big contracts, and that is very good. ( Allen , Edmunds , Tre , Dawkins )

Edited by ALF

1 minute ago, ALF said:

If Houston  wanted to trade him for value it had to be before July 15 when a long term contract could be signed. It looks like he stays in Houston under the tag this season. They could tag him a second time but likely a FA after that. I hope the Bills stay away from him  jmo .

The Bills have future key players to sign big contracts, and that is very good.

There are actually credible reports out of Houston that they are likely to trade him, even though his value is so low. Just shows how mismanaged they are right now. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’m sorry too. We’re over our allotment of know it all naysayers. We’re trying hard to weed out those who preach and prance like HOF HC’s, schooling and scolding us and we are garnering some success in this endeavor. But not enough to open any new billets.

This makes little sense and doesn't address the point being made. 

56 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Good point. But the fact that they can't re-sign him this season isn't their fault. So they're not going to get a bad reputation for not signing him this year. Next season is a different story, and I agree with you it could get dicey. If he comes in a and plays great and ends up liking it here then we have the cap space to sign him long-term as well. If not, we get a 3rd round pick back.

Edited by Chemical

18 minutes ago, Chemical said:

This makes little sense and doesn't address the point being made. 

Good point. But the fact that they can't re-sign him this season isn't their fault. So they're not going to get a bad reputation for not signing him this year. Next season is a different story, and I agree with you it could get dicey. If he comes in a and plays great and ends up liking it here then we have the cap space to sign him long-term as well. If not, we get a 3rd round pick back.

Agree, of course it's not the Bills fault.  It is completely the Texans fault.

I see it this way, the Texans drafted him and had all his "cheap" years on the team.

They have plenty of $'s to sign him to an appropriate contract and have refused to for whatever reasons.

Now they are rumored to want to deal him but no doubt want more than teams are willing to gamble in regards to

the situation they created.

Any team that rewards the Texans for this, IMO is not doing the league any favors.

That said IF Beane can work a cheap trade to get Clowney for a year.............git er dun!

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

There are actually credible reports out of Houston that they are likely to trade him, even though his value is so low. Just shows how mismanaged they are right now. 

As it turns out, having an even semi- competent GM can be a very good thing! Who knew???

Edited by Augie

46 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Well, there this little diddy from a half hour ago on FB..

But we may have started the rumor..?

BA68FEEA-470D-424B-8856-AC9E43A89BA7.jpeg

We're officially at the point in the pandemic where we've created the mutated stream, and we (TBD collectively) are patient 0...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Just wait til next offseason or even sooner. 80% of this board will be saying we need to draft a DE instead of a WR. 

Disagree. I think NINETY percent will be saying we need to draft a WR instead of a DE. They're right to an extent, but you could have killed two birds with one stone here. DE IS a MAJOR need going forward. We're talking about the most important defensive position. Hughes is aging and everyone else has serious question marks. The NFL is an offensive league, but that doesn't mean you neglect the defense.

• Like (+1) 3