Collection of Josh Allen Feedback from Camp

Rigotz

Can we collect all Josh Allen related pre-season observations here? It would be great to see a summary of all of his pre-season work in one place.

Even if you just post links, it would be appreciated. Thank you!

Edited by Rigotz

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Oddly enough, old Thad Brown is the only reporter to report that Josh was “uncomfortably inaccurate:”

Yet Joe Buscaglia had a much different take and called it a “strong” performance.  

Just goes to show.... none of this camp stuff matters until they're on a game field.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I’ll summarize: There’s been good and bad. This applies to all the practices.

/thread

Wow, super helpful. Thanks.

Some of us haven’t been watching every single practice and would like a legit recap.

2 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Can we collect all Josh Allen related pre-season observations here? It would be great to see a summary of all of his pre-season work in one place.

Sounds like he started off ‘wow’ ing. As pads have come on defensive pressure has ramped up, and o line started shuffling... less so. 

The big asset he’s got going for him that probably isn’t showcased in camp is his escapability and improvisation. 

Hard to be sure as as I think he’s polarized the media to either like him as a future star or  dislike him as a future bust. 

If I had to guess, I expect he’ll look polished well coached and on point with time. With pressure I think fundamentals and technique will break down a bit. Favre was notorious for this early in his career. 

Sounds like his his short game is a bajillion miles ahead of last year... if he takes those gimmes under live fire or goes for the homerun...?  we will see

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Wow, super helpful. Thanks.

Some of us haven’t been watching every single practice and would like a legit recap.

You don’t need a thread full of tweets that have already been posted and discussed.

Go to http://billsmafia.com/ and you’ll find exactly what you’re looking for. 

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Just goes to show.... none of this camp stuff matters until they're on a game field.

Yes.  The opposing defense determines if Josh has improved or not.  Can't wait for game 1

Training Camp (and Preseason for that matter) are fun to follow. 

But won't really know anything about Josh Allen's progress until the real games get underway.

So much of what people are seeing has no relevance to what will happen Weeks 1-16.

For instance.... Quarterbacks are not allowed to get hit during practice.  So an observer is forced to "guess" when the defensive rush might have equaled a sack.  Of course, when you have a mobile QB like Allen, that is impossible to determine.  Many of his best plays come after he avoids pressure.  At the same time, it's hard to tell how much Allen's pocket presence has truly improved when he's not worried about taking a real hit.

Much of practice is also situational.  That guy who keeps tabs on completion percentage and touchdowns is comical -- especially when the team is running Red Zone drills from the 10-Yard-Line.  Are we supposed to be concerned that Allen didn't nail 60% of his passes during these plays?  Are we supposed to be impressed that he threw 5 touchdowns during these plays?  In a real game, he's not going to be running every play from the 10.

Another thing to consider.  Coaches (on both sides) are going to test Allen's limits in practice.  If they see he is weak at a particular play/throw, they may keep making him work on it.  Over and over.  But in a real game, the coaches are only going to call the stuff he's good at and comfortable with.  For example, I was reading that Allen struggles with fades into the back corner of the endzone.  Hopefully he improves on that, because it would be a nice bullet to have in the chamber.  But if he doesn't, there are plenty of other throws Brian Daboll can call when the real games are happening.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Bangarang said:

You don’t need a thread full of tweets that have already been posted and discussed.

Go to http://billsmafia.com/ and you’ll find exactly what you’re looking for. 

Second that.  There's a contributor there who summarizes all the tweets from each day of practice.  You can search for "Allen" and get a good picture.

15 hours ago, Rigotz said:

I'll sum it up,

He sucked, he was good, he was audibling at the Line, he'll get killed behind the line 

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Training Camp (and Preseason for that matter) are fun to follow. 

But won't really know anything about Josh Allen's progress until the real games get underway.

So much of what people are seeing has no relevance to what will happen Weeks 1-16.

For instance.... Quarterbacks are not allowed to get hit during practice.  So an observer is forced to "guess" when the defensive rush might have equaled a sack.  Of course, when you have a mobile QB like Allen, that is impossible to determine.  Many of his best plays come after he avoids pressure.  At the same time, it's hard to tell how much Allen's pocket presence has truly improved when he's not worried about taking a real hit.

Much of practice is also situational.  That guy who keeps tabs on completion percentage and touchdowns is comical -- especially when the team is running Red Zone drills from the 10-Yard-Line.  Are we supposed to be concerned that Allen didn't nail 60% of his passes during these plays?  Are we supposed to be impressed that he threw 5 touchdowns during these plays?  In a real game, he's not going to be running every play from the 10.

Another thing to consider.  Coaches (on both sides) are going to test Allen's limits in practice.  If they see he is weak at a particular play/throw, they may keep making him work on it.  Over and over.  But in a real game, the coaches are only going to call the stuff he's good at and comfortable with.  For example, I was reading that Allen struggles with fades into the back corner of the endzone.  Hopefully he improves on that, because it would be a nice bullet to have in the chamber.  But if he doesn't, there are plenty of other throws Brian Daboll can call when the real games are happening.

In general, I agree with this - but given apples to apples (last year's camp vs this year's camp) Allen is clearly improved in several aspects, including recognizing coverage and making those short yardage completions.  It was simply a gap in his throwing last year, and he clearly has worked on it and figured something out.  So that's very promising.

Of course it still remains to be seen how that will translate to the games - will he maintain? maintain sometimes/revert sometimes?  etc.  but it's still promising.

I agree we need to wait until the actual bullets start flying to make any real determinations but there are certainly clues available. Has anyone dug through all the training camp threads and compiled his comp% to date? I know there will be caveats to that (i.e. can’t hit the qb, lots of red zone work, etc.) but it might give us some idea whether he’s actually making headway with his decision making and accuracy issues.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2019-bills-training-camp-josh-allens-development-pocket-poise-and-the-toxic-hero-ball/

2019 Bills Training Camp: Josh Allen's development, pocket poise, and the toxic hero ball

Those "hero ball" moments are incredibly crushing for the offense, and deflating for a fervent fan base wanting Allen to give it a reason to adore him. 

Josh is going up against the #1 pass defense from last year that sees him and that offense everyday. Plus his running ability is, I'm sure being tempered in training camp. Add a whole new cast of players on the offensive side and it's going to take a bit, my guess would be between games 5-8, before they click. The defense needs to play really well early on to get us some wins.