Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
freddyjj

Division Power Rankings: AFC East comes in last

Recommended Posts

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001034009/article/nfl-division-power-rankings-nfc-north-stands-above-the-rest

 

Greg Rosenthal Article from NFL.Com with excerpt on AFCE being 8th of 8 divisions.  At least he mentions Bills/jets as potential playoff aspirants.

 

😎 AFC East: Patriots, Dolphins, Bills, Jets

 

The home to the greatest team of the decade in any decade is often home to the least amount of competition. At least the AFC East is far more compelling because of the presence of young quarterbacks Sam Darnold, Josh Allen and Josh Rosen. This should be an improved division, but it comes in last in a balanced NFL because there's only one team with legitimate Super Bowl hopes. Yes, the Pats are the only AFC East team that can say missing the playoffs would truly be a letdown.

Between the Bills and Jets, however, there is the potential for a surprise playoff entrant and possibly a true division race for the first time in a long time if the Patriots finally begin to show their age.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001034009/article/nfl-division-power-rankings-nfc-north-stands-above-the-rest

 

Greg Rosenthal Article from NFL.Com with excerpt on AFCE being 8th of 8 divisions.  At least he mentions Bills/jets as potential playoff aspirants.

 

😎 AFC East: Patriots, Dolphins, Bills, Jets

 

The home to the greatest team of the decade in any decade is often home to the least amount of competition. At least the AFC East is far more compelling because of the presence of young quarterbacks Sam Darnold, Josh Allen and Josh Rosen. This should be an improved division, but it comes in last in a balanced NFL because there's only one team with legitimate Super Bowl hopes. Yes, the Pats are the only AFC East team that can say missing the playoffs would truly be a letdown.

Between the Bills and Jets, however, there is the potential for a surprise playoff entrant and possibly a true division race for the first time in a long time if the Patriots finally begin to show their age.

 

 

 

Okay with me.  Hoping to pick up some division wins.😉

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

I miss the good old days of the AFC south sucking so badly...

 

AFC West was dog poo for years too, around the time Denver had Jake Plummer and Trent Green had to retire.  

 

NFC West was bad for a while too.  One year the Seahawks got to the playoffs by winning the division with a 7-9 record lol.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a surprise at all. Only home to one starting QB that has taken his team to the playoffs. That makes the AFCE a prime candidate in the discussion.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

This really shouldn't be a shock to anyone

 

Obviously, the writer is a racist and hates Buffalo.  Let’s trash him!!! 

 

But basically, this division has been a joke for 15 years minus NE.  But with 3 1st round qbs, hopefully someone kills Darth Vader and the Evil Empire.  But it’s hard for any non Bills, Jets, and Fins fans to believe it right now. 

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I miss the good old days of the AFC south sucking so badly...

Yeah, the AFC south looks pretty good now.  The NFC West was a joke for a while. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The worst divisions are usually the ones with the least parity. That makes the East the obvious choice... That being said, they could easily be the fastest to flip and turn into one of the most competitive divisions. 

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For several years the Patriots have been almost guaranteed to win at least four of their six division games.  There are usually a few blowouts among those victories, which means they can rest some of their starters.  That makes their path to the playoffs that much easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

This really shouldn't be a shock to anyone

 

I thought the NFC East was the worse. Philly is good , Dallas has potential , the Skins/Gmen are terrible. 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I thought the NFC East was the worse. Philly is good , Dallas has potential , the Skins/Gmen are terrible. 

Other than the pats would it be all that out of line to say we likely have 2 bad teams and 1 that could possibly break through and be decent?

 

dolphins look no better than giants/skins. Jets seem unlikely to make a stride. I think we have a shot but are like a less proven Dallas. 

 

Unless you are putting NE as head and shoulders above philly it’s kind of “meh” to argue the NFCE as worse 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ineptitude of the Jets, Dolphins and yes, our Bills gives the AFC East a bad rap....and it's well deserved.....but ..just for fun...let's realign the divisions...Cleveland in the East, NE in the AFC North with Pitt, Bal and Cincy.........the last 20 years is much different...for us and for them..... 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I disagree with him... I think the Jets, Patriots, and Bills are all going to finish above .500 this season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AFC North has lots of question marks.  Will Jackson get hurt as a running QB or will he develop as a passer? I think Roethlisberger is more likely than Brady to experience a sudden drop off in performance.  Steelers D has been bad for years now.  Bengals are like stagnant pond water.  

 

Ultimately I think it will come down to which organization and which QB - Bills, Browns, and Jets can't  handle the pressure of expectations.  The cliché answer would be the Browns.  They've added high talent but drama as well.  I could see some early season losses, injuries, or a few games with OBJ getting only a few balls thrown his way leading to a meltdown in the locker room.  There is just so much national attention on the Browns.  A few early losses and the criticisms will come quick.

 

To some degree, the same could be said of the Jets if Bell performs poorly out of the gate or if their is a hint of friction between him and Gase.  

 

As for the Bills, they have built in excuses to underperform for the first half of the season - entirely new line and WR group.  Has any offense in league history started this many new guys in one year?  That said however, their schedule is favorable and early losses in New York would put McD and Beane at the top of the list of regimes on the "Hot Seat".  

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was this article written before or after the Keith Towbridge acquisition?

  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bills, Jests, and Fish might as well just go to the CFL, and the CFL can send 3 teams for the season.  🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It makes sense.  The division has been a snooze for 20 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the problem here is .......

 

all the other divisions don't have to deal with NE* twice a year and by default have a "more competitive" teams within each division.

 

Sure there will usually be THAT team that is just horrible (like the Browns had been), or the Cardinals, or the Raiders to throw the #'s off.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, whatdrought said:

The worst divisions are usually the ones with the least parity. That makes the East the obvious choice... That being said, they could easily be the fastest to flip and turn into one of the most competitive divisions. 

 

the Pats collapsing would just make the AFC East even more the worst

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

soon Tommy will be gone and things will change 

 

Josh looks like he can be the guy.  Many say blockhead Darnold is legit.  Some (still) think that Rosen can be good enough.

 

that could be 2 maybe 3 long(er) term QB's in the AFCE.   

They could end up like the combinations of Flacco, Dalton and Big Ben.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's pretty difficult to put the AFC East in front of any other division, top to bottom, at this point, based upon recent history.  Every other division in the AFC has at least two legitimate playoff contenders (Houston/Indy/Jax, KC/LAC, Pitt/Cle/Balt) while the East has two teams fighting for respectability (Buf/NYJ) and one clearly in rebuild mode.  It's possible Miami will have the worst record in the league this season.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, row_33 said:

 

the Pats collapsing would just make the AFC East even more the worst

 

Ok, send four CFL teams to substitute...😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Other than the pats would it be all that out of line to say we likely have 2 bad teams and 1 that could possibly break through and be decent?

 

dolphins look no better than giants/skins. Jets seem unlikely to make a stride. I think we have a shot but are like a less proven Dallas. 

 

Unless you are putting NE as head and shoulders above philly it’s kind of “meh” to argue the NFCE as worse 

Ya I'm looking at both divisions and feel NE is much better than Philly, Dallas I feel is in the same category as Jets/Bills , Teams with legit potential to make a run. 

Whether you rank Jets or Bills as 3rd in the division , I feel they both are better than Wash and Miami and the Gmen might be equally terrible. 

But I see your point and understand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...