Sign in to follow this  
Kirby Jackson

Brian Gaine fired as Texans GM

7 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

They interviewed Joe Douglas when they hired him and given the reports coming out that Douglas was asking for more money and for certain budgets regarding scouting that the Jets weren't meeting...I wonder if the Texans are making a move.

Maybe but I think this is about Billy O consolidating his power base above all else. I understand he was furious at the failure to land Dillard. His view (apparently well known in the building) was that he was willing to give up a 2020 #1 to move into the top 10 and pick him. When he slid as far as he did it would only have taken a smaller price to move up a few spots and secure him.

Could they turn to Douglas now? Possible. But if they really loved him last time then why not hire him?

15 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

Maybe Titus Howard has been showing his 3rd Round pedigree?

In OTAs?  Is there even like contact between players?

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Did a good job for us no?  Lets bring him back.

Who knows what he really did for us, but if he was that bad in Houston to be fired in 18 months, why would u want him near this organization?  From the draft videos it looks like Morgan took on Gaines role and from the reports, he is really smart

• Confused 1

He couldn’t pull the trigger in time to make sure they got Dillard and they got leapfrogged.

But still...

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He couldn’t pull the trigger in time to make sure they got Dillard and they got leapfrogged.

But still...

Its like he learned nothing here seeing that's usually all we do. Target a guy and attack. 

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

But still...

Still seems reactionary. Who knows

Just now, Ittakestime said:

Who knows what he really did for us, but if he was that bad in Houston to be fired in 18 months, why would u want him near this organization?  From the draft videos it looks like Morgan took on Gaines role and from the reports, he is really smart

Gaines was one of the hottest up and coming front office guys while here

super respected and was going to get a GM job sooner than later.. who knows what happened

but as a vp of player personnel or a role similar he was very good

Bills have replaced him with Dan Morgan who is another HIGHLY respected guy who will be a GM one day

11 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

The draft 

I was thinking the same thing that the Texans had a horrible draft. Seems he would have been fired soon after the draft though

• Thanks! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Gaines was one of the hottest up and coming front office guys while here

super respected and was going to get a GM job sooner than later.. who knows what happened

but as a vp of player personnel or a role similar he was very good

Bills have replaced him with Dan Morgan who is another HIGHLY respected guy who will be a GM one day

You realize he was just fired by a team where he really only had a shot at getting the GM job?  Doesn't speak too highly on his "skill set". 

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

This doesn’t feel football related...

I wondered the same thing. Who knows?

You realize he was just fired by a team where he really only had a shot at getting the GM job?  Doesn't speak too highly on his "skill set". 

He was an NFL GM. Who knows why he was fired.

he was one of the best player personnel guys in the league . He won’t be out of a job For long. Guaranteed 

He failed at upgrading the OL

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Maybe but I think this is about Billy O consolidating his power base above all else. I understand he was furious at the failure to land Dillard. His view (apparently well known in the building) was that he was willing to give up a 2020 #1 to move into the top 10 and pick him. When he slid as far as he did it would only have taken a smaller price to move up a few spots and secure him.

Could they turn to Douglas now? Possible. But if they really loved him last time then why not hire him?

I believe they were blocked from interviewing him by the Eagles at the time. 

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2018/01/eagles_block_texans_request_to_interview_joe_dougl.html

• Like (+1) 1

Gaine had a 5-year deal according to Houston Chronicle Texans and NFL beat writer John McClain (Not of Die Hard Fame)...gets paid for 3 and a half more years. 

• Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

I was thinking the same thing that the Texans had a horrible draft. Seems he would have been fired soon after the draft though

Taking Tytus Howard at 23 was mind boggling to me considering other OL talent still available 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JoeF said:

Gaine had a 5-year deal according to Houston Chronicle Texans and NFL beat writer John McClain (Not of Die Hard Fame)...gets paid for 3 and a half more years. 

Hog damn. Could only use one laughing emoji on the like bar so I had to follow up with a few more. 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂😆😂😆😆 Better hold that in I don't want to use the bathroom in my pants.

12 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He was an NFL GM. Who knows why he was fired.

he was one of the best player personnel guys in the league . He won’t be out of a job For long. Guaranteed 

He may have exposed himself as one of the "best" player personnel guys with his work as GM. Underwhelming to say the least. 

We shall see what his next job is. Of course he will get a job in this league again, that's all this league is. Once your in, your in for life. 

He may have exposed himself as one of the "best" player personnel guys with his work as GM. Underwhelming to say the least. 

We shall see what his next job is. Of course he will get a job in this league again, that's all this league is. Once your in, your in for life. 

He could’ve been exposed

but tell that to Whaley... not “In” for life in the NFL

42 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Billy O power play. Don't think he was happy with their draft. He loved Dillard from what I hear and he almost fell to them and then they negligently let Philly swoop in.

Didn't last long Gaine. It never felt a very exhaustive search last time. It was like Rick Smith stepped down for personal reasons and they just hired a guy they knew. 

In the draft when you are selecting lower than the middle of the round you can't be fixated on any one player because you don't know what any other team is going to do. You can't predict if a team is going to move up to get the player you are eyeing. That's the nature of the draft. And it is not unusual that your fallback player turns out to be the player than you lusted for. 

My suspicion is as you conjectured a power play between the HC and the front office staff. We had a similar conflicting dynamic when Marrone was here when the GM was Whaley. Sometimes organizational tension can result in a creative environment. And sometimes organizational tension can result in a backstabbing and dysfunctional environment. I like the synergy of the McBeane regime where everyone is riding on the same bus. 

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I like the synergy of the McBeane regime where everyone is riding on the same bus. 

As opposed to the NYJ model, where you just hope and pray the GM/Coach that’s driving keeps his eyes on the road...👀

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He could’ve been exposed

but tell that to Whaley... not “In” for life in the NFL

Whaley has a good job. He could have been in s front office if he wanted. He went a different route

1 minute ago, Ittakestime said:

Whaley has a good job. He could have been in s front office if he wanted. He went a different route

I like Whaley... good job yes... not an NFL job

if he was offered a VP of player personnel job ... he woulda took it 

• Like (+1) 1