Sign in to follow this  
Kirby Jackson

Brian Gaine fired as Texans GM

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Is he anything like Brandon was?  (Ixnay on the intern-ays.)

I don't think so. 

He was in Texas for 3 years as Director of Pro Personnel before coming here to work for Beane, so they had every opportunity to know what he was like.

It may be they thought he was a guy (maybe like Whaley) who was good at his former job and had been promoted over his head, into a position he couldn't handle

12 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

See what happens when you leave the Bills.....see

Image result for do you see what happens larry gif

Richie? Is that you? 

• Haha (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

Richie? Is that you? 

Weight!  Oops, I mean ‘wait’!

Posted (edited)

See what happens when you leave the Bills...see

Edited by HOUSE

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

He failed at upgrading the OL

I suppose but how do they even know that until they take the field 3 months from now?

Anything that puts an AFC potential playoff team in the crapper is A-okay with me.  The Houston draft was not good.  They did little in free agency and can't get Clowney signed or traded.  I get the sense that the Texans are circling the drain.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

As opposed to the NYJ model, where you just hope and pray the GM/Coach that’s driving keeps his eyes on the road...👀

That was a very odd situation. It was the GM who brought the coach in. Then evidently their conflict resulted in the boss leaving because of the subordinate he hired. 

2 hours ago, Rico said:

Could be Whaley time,

I wonder if Vince would let him go.

McMann?

Perhaps it has to do with Philadelphia jumping in front of Houston in the Draft and getting the player Houston coveted Andre Dillard.

2 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

Perhaps it has to do with Philadelphia jumping in front of Houston in the Draft and getting the player Houston coveted Andre Dillard.

The draft is such a crap shoot I don’t think a singular “mistake” is why he got fired. They have a temperamental HC that’s probably the best guess.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

I just don’t get this as a reason for firing him - no one even knows what any of the guys from the 2019 draft will turn into yet. What if Dillard sucks, will they regret firing him?

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Do you think that we bring him back?

If absolutely bring him back in some capacity.  He was given less than 2 seasons, which really is not fair.  Texans were hardly a dumpster fire.

3 hours ago, Rico said:

Could be Whaley time,

I wonder if Vince would let him go.

That’s not going to happen

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

If absolutely bring him back in some capacity.  He was given less than 2 seasons, which really is not fair.  Texans were hardly a dumpster fire.

That’s not going to happen

They made the playoffs in his only year as GM. I think he got a raw deal, unless there is something we don’t know. 

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I just don’t get this as a reason for firing him - no one even knows what any of the guys from the 2019 draft will turn into yet. What if Dillard sucks, will they regret firing him?

This link doesn't add much clarity to the situation other than he was taking the blame for something he had little to do with. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/06/07/houston-texans-fire-gm-brian-gaine

Edited by JohnC

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I suppose but how do they even know that until they take the field 3 months from now?

They don’t but his bosses are obviously not impressed.  Nor am I 

A Houston area friend of mine says that the rumor on Houston radio is that something went down behind the scenes and that it's not performance related 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

A Houston area friend of mine says that the rumor on Houston radio is that something went down behind the scenes and that it's not performance related 

I feel like that makes the most sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

See what happens when you leave the Bills...see

....used to be what happened when they drafted you, right??...........

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/brian-t-smith/article/Smith-With-Brian-Gaine-s-firing-Texans-give-in-13961064.php?cmpid=chronstrrpc

"The timing of Gaine's firing is stunning. After the draft and OTAs. Six weeks before training camp. The Texans looking like the New York Jets ... but worse and more clueless."

Glad to see the new standard of incompetence in the NFL is our AFC East rival...

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Must have been getting advice on how to handle the ladies from Russ. 

9 minutes ago, Lurker said:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/brian-t-smith/article/Smith-With-Brian-Gaine-s-firing-Texans-give-in-13961064.php?cmpid=chronstrrpc

"The timing of Gaine's firing is stunning. After the draft and OTAs. Six weeks before training camp. The Texans looking like the New York Jets ... but worse and more clueless."

Glad to see the new standard of incompetence in the NFL is our AFC East rival...

...but the Cards have hurt feelings....

15 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He either lost a power struggle with O'Brien or he was harassing employees 

He was about to trade Clowney and O’Brien didn’t approve? Maybe they got into it. I’m pretty sure OBrien controls the 53.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I feel like that makes the most sense. 

Sexual harrassment lawsuit here we come...