Bengals move Cordy Glenn to Guard

14 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Marrone tried him there and it didn’t last long. 

I believe he threw a bit of a temper tantrum because he was coming up on his next contract and wanted to be paid as a left tackle, not a RT. So maybe he didn’t give it his all? I don’t know. But I remember that he didn’t last long on the right side and reported were that he really struggled. 

I vaguely remember this ... thanks 

• Like (+1) 2

There's an out in his contract this year that would ultimately save them $35 mil. Otherwise, they would be paying him 41 mil to play Guard the next 3 years. Yikes. Not sure how the dead money works out over the next couple years, but they might be better off cutting bait or working a trade now instead of paying him that to play G

• Thank you (+1) 1

You take an offensive tackle at #11 you envisage he can play left tackle or else it is a bad pick. Personally I'd have been tempted to ease Williams in on the right side year 1 and then flip him but I can't blame the Bengals for deciding to get right to the decision point. Fair play. 

I don't think Jonah is a top 10 LT, but then Cordy hasn't been the last couple of years either. I see Jonah as a bit like Jake Matthews in Atlanta. He is gonna solidify that position and start there for a good number of years and you will never consider that spot a weakness but he is never going to flat out dominate. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You take an offensive tackle at #11 you envisage he can play left tackle or else it is a bad pick. Personally I'd have been tempted to ease Williams in on the right side year 1 and then flip him but I can't blame the Bengals for deciding to get right to the decision point. Fair play. 

I don't think Jonah is a top 10 LT, but then Cordy hasn't been the last couple of years either. I see Jonah as a bit like Jake Matthews in Atlanta. He is gonna solidify that position and start there for a good number of years and you will never consider that spot a weakness but he is never going to flat out dominate. 

I agree with this post except the bolded. I would prefer a RT to be a bit more of a bruiser but that is jmo.

What I will day is that if you are correct about Jonah playing at the level of a Matthews (or better), Oliver will have to be an excellent player (he very well might be) for this to have been a smart pick for the Bills. It will be interesting to watch this play out.

9 minutes ago, teef said:

how does scottlaw feel about this?

How do you want him to feel?

• Haha (+1) 1

In one of the articles I read, the Bengals weren't happy with Glenn's production at LT last year and was a liability at times.  Hence part of the reasoning for the move and draft pick.

Sounds like a great example of Beane getting ahead of something again

• Like (+1) 4

17 minutes ago, MJS said:

I remember during the draft a lot of people projecting him to guard. Wonder how good he'll be. Did he stay healthy last year?

Missed 3 games mid-season.  Not bad.

18 minutes ago, HT02 said:

That probably makes Glenn a pretty expensive guard

The Bengals didn't assume his amortized signing bonus, Bills ate that.

He's getting  $9.25M for the next 2 years in roster bonus and salary.

Looking at total cap hit, that would make him the 6th highest paid LG this year, as opposed to the 19th highest paid LT.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

A bengals reporter said after the draft that J Williams told teams he would only play LT  and not to draft him if they wanted him elsewhere on the OL

I think he may end up regretting that. I know I’m in the minority, but I just don’t think he’s destined for greatness as a left tackle. 

Given that Williams was one of the top draft picks at the LT position & if he lives up to that we know Cordy is a good player & if he plays up to his potential that could be one intimidating left side of their O line something Dalton will love !! 

Edited by T master

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

A bengals reporter said after the draft that J Williams told teams he would only play LT  and not to draft him if they wanted him elsewhere on the OL

Pretty bold.  He'd better back it up with performance.

• Like (+1) 1