Bengals move Cordy Glenn to Guard

Doesn't sit right with me that Jonah Williams said he'd only play LT. I get it to a certain extent; that's where he wants to play and he's willing to slip in the draft so I respect that aspect. Still, just seems like diva behavior. How's he gonna behave if he doesn't do well at LT? I'm glad we drafted Oliver and Ford.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Did we not agree not to phrase thoughts in such a negative way as to imply an inability?  After all, we’re not that far removed from the ‘No Croom can catch / No, Croom can catch’ comma debacle.  ?

" I "   certainly agreed to no such thing, nor will  " I "   in the future , agree to such things.

/

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Doesn't sit right with me that Jonah Williams said he'd only play LT. I get it to a certain extent; that's where he wants to play and he's willing to slip in the draft so I respect that aspect. Still, just seems like diva behavior. How's he gonna behave if he doesn't do well at LT? I'm glad we drafted Oliver and Ford.

I don't even buy it, to be honest.

He said publicly multiple times "I'll play wherever a team wants me to play". He's also known as an extremely dedicated, professional, and coachable player who is mature beyond his years.

Do I believe his preference by far was to play LT? Of course. Do I believe he told teams "don't even draft me if you aren't going to play me at LT"? Nope.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

I don't even buy it, to be honest.

He said publicly multiple times "I'll play wherever a team wants me to play". He's also known as an extremely dedicated, professional, and coachable player who is mature beyond his years.

You may very well be right, but I've always been a skeptic when it comes to how someone is publicly viewed. It's not entirely uncommon for a "good" guy to be a scum bag and vice versa. Most likely he's a great guy, but I don't know that as a fact.

As to the OP, Glenn isn't a kid anymore and he's had multiple injuries. Seems like a good move for both the Bengals and Glenn. 

21 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

is it a fact ?
rather presumptuous ? and if Bengals played is game ? Not wise way to team build. 

It was a reputable Bengals reporter on radio - he was a guest on one of the Columbus shows and that was when I heard it. Don’t think he would have a reason to lie publically, but i didn’t research it any further 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

It was a reputable Bengals reporter on radio - he was a guest on one of the Columbus shows and that was when I heard it. Don’t think he would have a reason to lie publically, but i didn’t research it any further 

Fair enough.
I wonder how Glenn really feels about being moved . "Man to man " sounds like he was told to be open minded to moving. He should be probably.

I did notice a blurb on PFT that Coach made the comment " best five crap " will start and do not expect what you see at OTAs to reflect the Game day. But it might be " (brutally quoted btw)

expected he was announcing change. : )  

4 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Marrone tried him there and it didn’t last long. 

I believe he threw a bit of a temper tantrum because he was coming up on his next contract and wanted to be paid as a left tackle, not a RT. So maybe he didn’t give it his all? I don’t know. But I remember that he didn’t last long on the right side and reported were that he really struggled. 

Yes, I remember that. I think there was even some narrative about a leg injury that made it harder to play on the right side.

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

That IS interesting..

I’m not sure Dawkins nor Nsekhe could do it..

Dawkins played guard at Temple and in the Senior Bowl. Nsekhe has played both tackle and guard positions in college and for the Redskins.

Cody Ford was a 4 star guard recruit out of high school and played guard his first 2 years of college as well.

Edited by Turk71

Nsekhe, Ford, and Dawkins will all start I think with one of them moving inside to guard. Those 3 with Morse and Spain will be a huge improvement over last year's line.

Dawkins Spain Morse Ford Nsekhe maybe?

Some combination of that will be the starters I think, barring injuries of course. 

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The kidney issue?

Yes, he had that too, but I remember some article in the Buffalo News or somewhere that his leg problem hinder his play on the right side---gosh maybe it was further back then I think & it was the big lineman out of Texas that we draft early---man I'm getting to old remember some of this.

2 hours ago, 1st&ten said:

Yes, I remember that. I think there was even some narrative about a leg injury that made it harder to play on the right side.

Are you thinking of Cyrus K.  Drafted him as a rt but had a knee issue and played much better on the left.

1 hour ago, 1st&ten said:

Yes, he had that too, but I remember some article in the Buffalo News or somewhere that his leg problem hinder his play on the right side---gosh maybe it was further back then I think & it was the big lineman out of Texas that we draft early---man I'm getting to old remember some of this.

I think your memory is correct.  I believe he had problems with his right ankle and had at least one surgery.

1 hour ago, DallasMac said:

Are you thinking of Cyrus K.  Drafted him as a rt but had a knee issue and played much better on the left.

1. Well that might be it--cuz know that I think of it I don't remember Glenn ever being used at right tackle.

The year Glenn was drafted Mike Mayock stated he could play tackle and be average but at offensive guard, he would be an all pro, pro bowler. 

Like the QB position, the left tackle is one position the Bills have been getting by with maybes and might work types. One regime even attempted to get a seventh-round pick to work at LT. Even when they discovered they have found an elite LT in Jason Peters they traded him rather than pay him. 

Dawkins had a poor year last season at LT and I wonder if he will be moved to OG at some point too. 

P.S. On another note, Ty Nsekhe replaced Redskins LT Trent Williams when he was injured last season and even graded as to their best player in one game. Should the Bills start Cody Ford at RT then this year's training camp will be interesting to watch. Brandon Beane stated that Dawkins will start at LT, we will see.   

31 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

The year Glenn was drafted Mike Mayock stated he could play tackle and be average but at offensive guard, he would be an all pro, pro bowler. 

Like the QB position, the left tackle is one position the Bills have been getting by with maybes and might work types. One regime even attempted to get a seventh-round pick to work at LT. Even when they discovered they have found an elite LT in Jason Peters they traded him rather than pay him. 

Dawkins had a poor year last season at LT and I wonder if he will be moved to OG at some point too. 

P.S. On another note, Ty Nsekhe replaced Redskins LT Trent Williams when he was injured last season and even graded as to their best player in one game. Should the Bills start Cody Ford at RT then this year's training camp will be interesting to watch. Brandon Beane stated that Dawkins will start at LT, we will see.   

Dawkins played guard in college and in the Senior Bowl. Ford was a 4 star guard recruit entering college and played 2 years at guard before playing only one year at tackle before the draft. Nsekhe has played guard in the pros and college. One of them is moving inside. My guess at this early point is it will be Ford for now.

Edited by Turk71