Lawson's 5th yr option ($9.451M) declined & Ziggy update

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You do when said RB was ranked nearly 30 spots ahead of the next available player on your board which is what I heard yesterday. The Bills has a way higher grade on Singletary than anyone left at that pick and stuck to their board (as they said that they would).

Probably the wrong thread but Peter Schrager on GMFB just raved about Singletary and predicted he would be the AFC's offensive rookie of the week in W1. 

21 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You can choose to believe me or not but my information is rock solid on this. I never post what I’ve heard unless I know it to be true (or at least certain as to what they are trying to do). This is from in the room.

I wasn't questioning your info... I was questioning the methodology behind taking a higher rated RB (easier position to fill) over a lower rated DE (premium position/tougher to fill).   ….Unless they have a plan in the works, in which case it makes total sense to do that.

33 minutes ago, eball said:

Probably the wrong thread but Peter Schrager on GMFB just raved about Singletary and predicted he would be the AFC's offensive rookie of the week in W1. 

he's basically been raved about by everyone other than the fans on this page..... pre and post draft.

45 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I wasn't questioning your info... I was questioning the methodology behind taking a higher rated RB (easier position to fill) over a lower rated DE (premium position/tougher to fill).   ….Unless they have a plan in the works, in which case it makes total sense to do that.

Because they said, and actually do, believe in BPA. They aren’t necessarily looking at positions they are looking at players. 

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Its also all relative.  Lawson ended up having a pretty average first round rookie contract compared to that draft class.  In other draft classes he would look worse, but in his, he is average. 

That is a fair statement.  There were only 2 or 3 players of the 12 drafted in the remainder of the 2016 first round that were worthy of that status.  A big problem with Shaq is that he was a much better fit for Rex’s outdated scheme than he has been for McD’s.  He has been passable as a stopgap, but they aren’t going to pay him to keep him around once he’s off of his rookie deal. 

12 hours ago, cba fan said:

Bills just signed approx 18 or so Free Agents. They will never be in line for comp picks next year.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

They would have been. But only in Rex's defense.

How can any player be great in a Rex Ryan defense when it would certainly be in the bottom tier of the NFL? His only success in Buffalo was ruining a top 10 defense.

Edited by Azucho98

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

he's basically been raved about by everyone other than the fans on this page..... pre and post draft.

Not sure if that is completely fair.

I think a many of us were just surprised that the Bills went RB at the top of the 3rd when they brought in the RB free agents they did and had as many on the roster that they had. As it stands they likely will have to make some roster moves.

I was thinking maybe a RB in the 4th or later rounds that they could stash on the PS, but nothing more.

Also hard to nail down a type when it comes to their draft board. Which also has less to do with the kid's talent and more to do with trying to get a handle on how this FO evaluates prospects.

• Singletary, unimpressive combine and measurables, roll the tape and you see amazing production and he ends up high on Beane's board.
  • Knox, great measurables and combine showing, roll the tape and little to no production yet high enough on Beane's board to trade up into the 3rd to get him.

What it shows you is that other than work ethic and character, there is not an easily predictable "type". The Bills really do a deep dive on these guys to project how successful they can be in the program the Bills want to run. It is not a narrow evaluation process of limited variables.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You are acting like those guys are Peterman!! Both guys are quality NFL players. They are borderline starters. They aren’t scrubs.

You do when said RB was ranked nearly 30 spots ahead of the next available player on your board which is what I heard yesterday. The Bills has a way higher grade on Singletary than anyone left at that pick and stuck to their board (as they said that they would).

No they are not "scrubs", But they are not performing at the level that is needed. The Bills need bonafide starters that produce on a weekly basis and have impact...not just borderline. I like the pick of Singletary and the Bills were probably sticking to the board and projecting him as a future starter. Why else would Beane be reaching out to the likes of Frank Clark, Clowney and Ansah? 

20 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

That's a fair point.  I totally agree he is NOT worth $10 mill/yr.

Lawson may play more than "borderline" this year on a prove it type contract...if he does, there are always teams out there that will sign him. Then we are compensated.

11 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Pretty tired..... of this thing that has happened.... what.....  once in the last 15 years? 

Say what????? Since I've been a "grown" fan, I've seen Thomas Smith, Jeff Burris, Antoine Winfield, Nate Clements, and Stephon Gilmore walk as FA's. That obviously goes back further than 15 years, but it's kind of a big deal.

And yeah, Shaq is a bust considering his draft slot. Maybin would have been a bust in the fourth round. Not a fan of that either. It's been 20 years since we were relevant. I can walk and chew gum at the same time here.

Edited by LSHMEAB

This is a good call, declining the option on Shaq.  If presented to him in the right way it should not negatively impact the Bills' ability to re-sign him if he has a good season, but in all likelihood he's not going to have the kind of season that would make you think he should be paid 9M+ in 2020.

2 minutes ago, eball said:

This is a good call, declining the option on Shaq.  If presented to him in the right way it should not negatively impact the Bills' ability to re-sign him if he has a good season, but in all likelihood he's not going to have the kind of season that would make you think he should be paid 9M+ in 2020.

Lawson may do better with Oliver on board...heck, everyone should, but Lawson should have demonstrated something by now besides being just good enough or adequate, or borderline...any way we want to phrase it. We already know what kind of production that we need from the DE spot. It is not happening. 

3 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Lawson may do better with Oliver on board...heck, everyone should, but Lawson should have demonstrated something by now besides being just good enough or adequate, or borderline...any way we want to phrase it. We already know what kind of production that we need from the DE spot. It is not happening. 

If Shaq has a breakout 2019 The Bills can franchise him or transition tag him. But I think it is hard to commit nearly 10 million to an underperforming DE. By the end of 2019 the Bills will know what Shaq is and will be able to properly assess what his value is. I think that if you commit to a large 5th year option you lose your flexibility and while it is a bit of a risk if he has a strong season I think it is better to worry about having to keep a good player who will be a free agent then to have to worry about being locked into a underperforming player. 

42 minutes ago, eball said:

Yeah waiting until the last minute sorta' implies that they value him and think it was a borderline decision.......even if it wasn't.     A quick dismissal sends a less positive message.   I think they handled it the best way if hoping to get the most out of Shaq.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I researched this. Since 5th year options we instituted only one player who did not have his option picked up or have his contract extended by the option expiration date, only Mark Ingram remained with the team that drafted him.  Technically he could be re-signed here, but realistically he’s gone after this season. 

That's pretty amazing.  I figured it was low but not that low.

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

If Shaq has a breakout 2019 The Bills can franchise him or transition tag him. But I think it is hard to commit nearly 10 million to an underperforming DE. By the end of 2019 the Bills will know what Shaq is and will be able to properly assess what his value is. I think that if you commit to a large 5th year option you lose your flexibility and while it is a bit of a risk if he has a strong season I think it is better to worry about having to keep a good player who will be a free agent then to have to worry about being locked into a underperforming player. 

Absolutely!

51 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

If they want to sign Shaq to a 3yr, 15M deal I'm all for it. He a good run defender and decent backup against the pass, but you can't pay him Jerry Hughes money.

...sounds fair...no way is he going to see >$10+ mil/yr in FA......