RD 1, Pick 9: DT Ed Oliver, University of Houston

SDS

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I personally really like Maxx Crosby from Eastern Mich. He played in the MAC but he’s really good. They had him in for a visit. Had a great combine. 

Thanks.  Worth a 2nd rounder?

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

Thanks.  Worth a 2nd rounder?

He needs a couple years of bulking up and learning the position, imo. He’s got athletic chops, but he will get manhandled by OTs until he learns the position and gets stronger. I think he’s a day 3 pick.

Edited by K-9

I don't hate this pick, but I'm pumping my brakes... Week-in week-out, he'll be facing talented, experienced NFL O-linemen who aren't scared, or impressed by his college resume.

-A world apart from shoving overmatched conference USA (AAC) scrubs to the ground.

Just now, #34fan said:

I don't hate this pick, but I'm pumping my brakes... Week-in week-out, he'll be facing talented, experienced NFL O-linemen who aren't scared, or impressed by his college resume.

-A world apart from shoving overmatched conference USA (AAC) scrubs to the ground.

Worked out ok for Khalil Mack. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Usually the “weak conference” concern comes into play when you question a prospects athleticism.  Ed Oliver is an otherworldly athlete.  Believe me, his toolbox is going to translate. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I just assume this is here somewhere, but I'll post it anyway:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/winners-and-losers-in-the-first-round-of-the-2019-nfl-draft/ss-BBWiNfR?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp#image=1

Winners and losers in the first round of the 2019 NFL draft

by Doug Farrar

Winner: The Bills' defensive line:

Congratulations, Bills, You got to watch Houston defensive lineman Ed Oliver, the best defensive player in this class, fall to your ninth overall pick, and you were smart enough to draft him. Now, let me give you a bit of advice. Don't do what Houston's coaches did and play him at nose tackle 65% of the time. Instead, make him a 3-tech tackle who can flex out to end, and watch him use his generational combination of power, speed, and leverage terrorize the other quarterbacks and running backs in the AFC East and beyond. Comparisons have been made to Aaron Donald, but Oliver reminds me more of Hall-of-Fame defensive tackle John Randle in his furious, unstoppable style. (Tommy Gilligan-USA TODAY Sports)
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/winners-and-losers-in-the-first-round-of-the-2019-nfl-draft/ss-BBWiNfR?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp#image=1

by Doug Farrar

Congratulations, Bills, You got to watch Houston defensive lineman Ed Oliver, the best defensive player in this class, fall to your ninth overall pick, and you were smart enough to draft him. Now, let me give you a bit of advice. Don't do what Houston's coaches did and play him at nose tackle 65% of the time. Instead, make him a 3-tech tackle who can flex out to end, and watch him use his generational combination of power, speed, and leverage terrorize the other quarterbacks and running backs in the AFC East and beyond. Comparisons have been made to Aaron Donald, but Oliver reminds me more of Hall-of-Fame defensive tackle John Randle in his furious, unstoppable style. (Tommy Gilligan-USA TODAY Sports)

This got me PUMPED.

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

by Doug Farrar

SCHWING!

• Like (+1) 1

OK, finally getting in on this. Love the pick... seems like a perfect fit for Mickey D's D.... 

And as far as his personality goes... fine by me. Buffalo needs more fire on defense. 

High maintenance..? If he blows up Tom Brady a few times this year, give the man weekly diamond level pedicures and custom peeled grapes for all I care.

He'll need those custom fitted coats at New Era in December. Roll out the red carpet, Terry!!! 

Let's go D!!!!! #1 this year, yo!!!

9 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Greedy has major tackling issues and Murphy is a zone guy only pretty much.  Beginning of round 2 is probably where they should be going. 

Wonder if the players will prank him this year and present him with a Bills' jacket to wear on the side line?

1 hour ago, #34fan said:

lol SO basically every player drafted is going to face the same ***** and this year the Bills pick you decide to say that.