Too many draft picks this year

Gisele

7 minutes ago, Gisele said:

With all the free agent signings, there is no way we need all of these picks this year.  Do we consolidate and move up or trade some away to have more next year?  

I feel like Beane is going to be very aggressive and try to get 3-4 picks in the first two rounds, which means giving up a fair share of those picks.

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure how a 6-10 team can have too many draft picks.  There’s at least 7 roster spots open on the 53 man roster... a RB, a TE, a WR, an OT, a DL, at least 1 LB, and a DB. Not to mention most of the free agents signed this year are on 1 year deals.  6th and 7th round picks are more for the practice squad, so I’m not seeing too many picks.  

With a 6 and 10 team, I imagine there is a lot of room for improvement at every position. As the coach often says, every position is up for grabs. So bringing in 10 rookies to compete for a roster spot seems to be the least that can be done to improve the team.

I agree that 10 picks does sound like too much.  I'd like to see them move up assuming we can find someone will to trade say the 5th or 6th overall for our 9th overall, plus our two 7 rounders, our 2 5th rounders, and say one of our fourths.  Do you you think there'll be any takers?  (Maybe Gettlemann) Assuming no one goes for that, too move up that far would likely require us trading our 2nd rounder too.  So then we're left with a top 5 pick but no other top talent, don't like that option much either as do feel we way more than one player away from the Super Bowl.  As has been mentioned, could use maybe four solid players from the draft.

Personally I'd prefer to see us trade down to around 16, pick up an extra 2nd, then trade back to late in the 1st round (around #25) for our own 2nd, plus 3rd or even better, our own 2nd, plus our two 4ths and even throw in a 5th..  That would still leave us with 2 firsts, a second, and two fourths or 2 firsts, a second, a 3rd and no fourths.

1 hour ago, eball said:

I feel like Beane is going to be very aggressive and try to get 3-4 picks in the first two rounds, which means giving up a fair share of those picks.

I don't think they have enough ammo to get 4 picks in the first 2 rounds unless they trade a player or 2020 picks.  Their extra picks this year are in the late 4th, 5th and 7th rounds and those don't buy much when trying to move up in round 1 or two.  

Their 3rd and both 4th round picks *might* get them back into the late 2nd.  

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I don't think they have enough ammo to get 4 picks in the first 2 rounds unless they trade a player or 2020 picks.  Their extra picks this year are in the late 4th, 5th and 7th rounds and those don't buy much when trying to move up in round 1 or two.  

Their 3rd and both 4th round picks *might* get them back into the late 2nd.  

I'll take 3 in the first two rounds and be thrilled.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, eball said:

I'll take 3 in the first two rounds and be thrilled.

Me too - I could see packaging their 3rd and their own 4th to move back into the 2nd.  

Alternatively, I could see standing pat where they are, but trading both 4th round picks to get back into the bottom of the 3rd.  

I also think that there is value in having the ammo to get to the top of round 4 to get someone they might like that fell out of round 3.  There always seems to be a bit of talent available at the start of day 3.

Edited by OldTimer1960

1 hour ago, Gisele said:

With all the free agent signings, there is no way we need all of these picks this year.  Do we consolidate and move up or trade some away to have more next year?  

You know the title of this thread sounds kind of troll-y, right?  No such thing as too many picks. I wish we had 20.  But yes, it gives us better options to trade, etc...

Edited by buffaloboyinATL